Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever known a "serious" criminal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

js35 wrote: »
    Lived 20ft away from someone who is still in jail over a high profile murder on the naas rd in 1996

Veronica Guerin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What a pathetic story.

It's a great story Mr 50 posts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭notabogsnotion

poisonated wrote: »
    Veronica Guerin?

She's dead.

Felloni and Gilligan were our clients. Gilligan called on the button at 11am every day and ranted at me for his allotted 6 minutes.

She's dead.

What? Jesus. How? When?

Thank god you're here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Met Eddie Gallagher through an ex of his (they were on very good terms, she obviously had issues and had a tragic death) he was a charmer and did a line on good Poitín, luckily, even in my 20's a million years ago, I was well able for the charm and the Poitín so thats as far as it went.

The hijacker of a helicopter?

Felloni was out of prison but we dealt with a child custody situation for him.
    Gilligan was fine as I knew he was locked up. When he came out however, I was terrified. Mercifully, he appears to be in jail in Spain currently. He was very angry most of the time and sometimes didn't make sense. My job however was to listen to him and take his instructions. Rather difficult at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Catglee

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Didn't even know who he was at the time but shook hands with and had a five minute chat with the guy who blew up Lord Henry Mountbatten

He was canvassing for the local SF candidate in a bye election, he spent most of the time telling me that Michael McDowell ( justice minister at the time) was a bollocks

Neighbour asked me the following day "had I Thomas McMahon around "

Ha! Was in a pub, invited in for a few free pints by a mate who was a bit political as there was a thing on... Got talking to this fella who wasn't a bit impressed that I voiced that I didn't give two fcks about the North when asked my opinion.
    I was quietly asked to leave a few mins later.
    Same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

She's dead.

Thanks for that Haha. I meant the person who was murdered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

One guy i drank with a good few times over the space of a year when i was 16 is now in jail 19 years later.

He was hiding guns for a well known gang and delivering them when needed. He was the same as many of my friends just a bit simple and was never any harm in him. He's in Mountjoy now as got caught. Was shocked when i read the news article.

• Advertisement

poisonated wrote: »
    Thanks for that Haha. I meant the person who was murdered.

Lol... I think you meant the person who was the murderer.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Glen Whelan was in my school and he robbed a living as a footballer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Glen Whelan was in my school and he robbed a living as a footballer

He stole over 80 Ireland caps and only recently was in the papers talking about how he hopes to steal some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you know reading this thread sends a shiver down my spine

never knew they were so many evil bastards out there, maybe i've lived a sheltered life?

morbid convo.

Beats the COVID threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Years ago-20plus-I was working on a large scale survey along the road in Co. Kildare. JG used to pull up every morning in his red Hiace and make a smart remark. He’s a tiny little sparrow fart who used to sit on a cushion to look out over the steering wheel. I’m not surprised he is one of Ireland’s best known criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,037 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

One I’d forgotten about was a paedophile on my road. Across the road...About 11 doors down...

Came to light about 20 years ago.. he was arrested, convicted, jailed... all be it not for long, for abusing his teenage daughters... he strangely arrived back then after his incarceration and had a big mobile home in his driveway that blocks the view of his front door and living room window.. still there today, never moves, never did... I don’t know if there were paparazzi about, I never heard it commented on but this I always found strange... massive eye sore too btw.

A VERY quiet guy, a loner, you’d never see anybody enter the house, or leave...including him...

His next door but one neighbor was a Garda with a young family, a seriously nice family... the Garda was tipped off prior to the conviction, gave a heads up to a few people with young families in particular and he having three young kids then about 9, 11 & 16... upped sticks and moved out to Clontarf near to where his parents lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Years ago-20plus-I was working on a large scale survey along the road in Co. Kildare. JG used to pull up every morning in his red Hiace and make a smart remark. He’s a tiny little sparrow fart who used to sit on a cushion to look out over the steering wheel. I’m not surprised he is one of Ireland’s best known criminals.

What was he remarking on, being delayed or was he just being an a-hole?

He always struck me as the quintessential 'small man syndrome' candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TrampFighter

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-based-man-facing-charges-of-killing-wife-and-destroying-her-body-on-board-cruise-ship-39356890.html

had a few interactions with this lad, he was on the board of directors for my apartment complex for a while.
    tried to turn the voluntary position into a paying job.
    also refused to pay the bills in the complex because he thought we were being ripped off, the electricity ended up getting cut off in the common areas of the complex at one point and not having a bin collection because he was also not paying them.

he was a proper weirdo, was forever arguing with his wife.
    she used to throw him out all the time, was found on more than one occasion sleeping in the corridor of the apartment block.

has a few other convictions for mortgage fraud and breaking and entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Weepsie wrote: »
    Knew this guy growing up (same school and area) and I'm fairly sure a few football and gaa fans got ripped off by him over the years too. Always though he was an arse but didn't expect any of that

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-man-jailed-for-smuggling-60-handguns-into-uk-1.4079164

Scammed my friend out of money for match tickets and would have a sob story for him daily when my friend informed him he was going to the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Barry George, the guy initially convicted of and then retried and acquitted of the murder of Jill Dando would sometimes call into a bookshop in Cork that I'd frequent. First time I encountered him he came into the shop with a massive long lens camera slung around his neck and a laminated pass. He got talking to the owner and started telling this spiel that he was working on a movie employed taking publicity photos. He was convincing enough till he got to telling how hed been a victim of "miscarriage of justice" in England and I realised who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not me but was in school with a lad in the late 90s who lived in Clontarf and was always going on that the Monk lived around the corner from him. Few years later went in to pick up a newspaper and theres the lad from school on the front page of the Indo sitting in a wedding car with the Monks daughter after their wedding. Dont think he was ever involved in crime but was half expecting to hear he,d been caught up in the feud just for being related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I’ve mutually known a serial rapist Thurles (can’t name people I don’t think, but Google is your friend) and an accomplice to a murderer that happened in Thurles in 2007/8

Edit: See people are posting names.

David Power and Victoria Moverly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Have never met a serious criminal, all of them I know have a great sense of humour.

Was in the cub scouts and lived in the same locality as a guy who shot a man five times at close range in front of the wife and child. Four times in front, then flipped the body over to give him the coup de grace in the back for good measure.

If that's not vicious enough for you I then heard he did it with a double-barrelled shot gun, meaning he had to re-load three times during the act. Got a "life sentence" for it circa '95 or 96, so naturally I'd be stupefied if he's not back out walking the streets quite freely while still in his mid to late forties.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

yabadabado wrote: »
    The hijacker of a helicopter?

That's the man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Local barber did 15 years for murder. He is not from the area so alot of people are unaware. It was gang related. I still go there. Sound enough guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Local barber did 15 years for murder. He is not from the area so alot of people are unaware. It was gang related. I still go there. Sound enough guy.

Funny enough I also know a barber who killed a guy. Not the same guy as yours, it wasn't gang related, he literally killed a classmate when they were both teenagers just to see what it was like. Strange strange fella.

Not sure if he's still working as a barber, he was just out of prison and doing his apprenticeship when I met him a couple of years back. I often thought, imagine if his customers knew that the lad standing over them with a cut-throat razor was a cold-blooded murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

What was he remarking on, being delayed or was he just being an a-hole?

He always struck me as the quintessential 'small man syndrome' candidate.

Just being a smart arse. The people I normally met were country types and nice so it was new to me to meet a horrible bollix. I was only a Garsoon and wasn’t used to adults behaving like that. My parents never used bad language and were hard working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Was in the cub scouts and lived in the same locality as a guy who shot a man five times at close range in front of the wife and child. Four times in front, then flipped the body over to give him the coup de grace in the back for good measure.

If that's not vicious enough for you I then heard he did it with a double-barrelled shot gun, meaning he had to re-load three times during the act. Got a "life sentence" for it circa '95 or 96, so naturally I'd be stupefied if he's not back out walking the streets quite freely while still in his mid to late forties.

Westmeath? I lived close enough and the guys kids were in the same school as me.

Advertisement