Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever known a "serious" criminal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    thats right , mental illness gives someone licence to behave in an appropriate way which makes others deeply uncomfortable

:rolleyes:

I don’t think anyone is saying that. A bit of compassion and understanding is needed though. This judgmental ****e is part of the problem with Ireland’s terrible attitude towards mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i knew "the beast" , the guy that was shot dead in cork few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I knew a guy who got out of prison after life for murder. It was a tough one because he'd clearly completely changed (teen to adult) and if not for his past I'd say we'd have become good friends. He made the most of his time inside, kept clean and out of trouble, hit the gym and learned a trade, and got early parole. He's stayed out of trouble since as far as I know - which is now years later. But I had very conflicting feelings about it at the time, and I didn't want any connection to the drama surrounding it either. As nice a guy he is, a young man still died because of him and that death severely impacted the lives of a lot of people. And I know he regrets it - not the consequence, the crime. And I know it was something done on impulse that he will have to live with for the rest of his days. But we are all capable of acting on impulse, and most of us do not.

It really is a tough one. I spoke to him about it at great length and could truly empathise. And I believe in rebabilitation. I don't think he someone who is a "murderer" in the idea of someone who will continue to do so, I believe he made a mistake. A life changing one. If I'd met him before it happened, I like to think I would have stuck by him given the circumstances surrounding it and stayed his friend. But for now, I had to be selfish, and make the decision that having someone who is on parole for murder in my social circle isn't ideal and may not even be safe (more so in terms of people who may have grudges against him and also the impact of perception of other people, work connections, etc.).

He sends me a text now and then and tells me how he's doing. He's in a serious relationship now, living with the girl, and seems very happy. And I'm happy for him. Not everyone deserves a second chance, but I think he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I knew a guy that emigrated to NYC from Limerick in the 60s. He ran with the Italian mafia fighting turf wars in Queens. He robbed drug dealers and was a local heavy for pay. He joined the US army and went AWOL. He shot at police in a chase and ended up in state penitentiary.
    He had a shoot out in a bar and ran across the Canadian border in the midst of Winter.

That's the short story.
    He wrote a few chapters of his memoris which he had me proof read but sadly his alcohol problem subdued his continuance of an amazing story.
    Up until three years ago he resided in the Midlands well into his seventies.
    ( edit spelling heavy - predictatext , rollseyes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I met a former Taoiseach who many would consider to be a criminal. That’s about it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Peter Pringle lived around the corner from me at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Weepsie wrote: »
    We must be from the same neck of the woods so. Someone around the corner murdered their wife too in one of the bungalows, maybe 25 years ago? Twas near the bus stop. Big shock at the time.

Yeah. That was the next estate over. We were gone by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

poisonated wrote: »
    I met a former Taoiseach who many would consider to be a criminal. That’s about it for me.

I know of a former Taoiseach doing something illegal that most people wouldn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

i knew "the beast" , the guy that was shot dead in cork few years ago

He was up on membership charges a few years before he was killed....and I think a guy that was in the same primary school class as him was up on murder charges, allegedly standing over the “victim” while holding a shotgun when caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

There was a lad in my school who was in a year below me who shot a man after egging his house also knew someone who was recently put away for a lengthy stretch for plotting to kill someone,first guy was an utter scumbag but the 2nd I never would have guessed I really was shocked that he was involved in that sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,402 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Whilst I didn't know any of the people involved I knew people who knew the people involved in the Bobby Ryan case fairly well. Who knew all about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

circadian wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. The housemate clearly had serious issues and the rest of the house was in no way equipped to handle it. There should be much better support services for people with severe mental illnesses allowing them to live as normally as possible. House shares with a variety of characters that comes with the territory of conflict over the most inane **** is not a stable or supportive environment.

The housemates, while it comes across as cold, done the right thing to protect themselves as anything could have happened in such a situation to set everything off without any supports whatsoever for the fella that needs it most.

He arsed about the house in his boxers all day. No worse than walking around in shorts. Hardly crime of the century. I’ve been doing that most days I’m off work during Covid, I must be a real danger.

Oh, and having a cigarette at night!! The deviant. I don’t do this now, that’s a bridge too far. Plus I’ve never taken up smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I knew a guy who got out of prison after life for murder. It was a tough one because he'd clearly completely changed (teen to adult) and if not for his past I'd say we'd have become good friends. He made the most of his time inside, kept clean and out of trouble, hit the gym and learned a trade, and got early parole. He's stayed out of trouble since as far as I know - which is now years later. But I had very conflicting feelings about it at the time, and I didn't want any connection to the drama surrounding it either. As nice a guy he is, a young man still died because of him and that death severely impacted the lives of a lot of people. And I know he regrets it - not the consequence, the crime. And I know it was something done on impulse that he will have to live with for the rest of his days. But we are all capable of acting on impulse, and most of us do not.

It really is a tough one. I spoke to him about it at great length and could truly empathise. And I believe in rebabilitation. I don't think he someone who is a "murderer" in the idea of someone who will continue to do so, I believe he made a mistake. A life changing one. If I'd met him before it happened, I like to think I would have stuck by him given the circumstances surrounding it and stayed his friend. But for now, I had to be selfish, and make the decision that having someone who is on parole for murder in my social circle isn't ideal and may not even be safe (more so in terms of people who may have grudges against him and also the impact of perception of other people, work connections, etc.).

He sends me a text now and then and tells me how he's doing. He's in a serious relationship now, living with the girl, and seems very happy. And I'm happy for him. Not everyone deserves a second chance, but I think he did.

I know a guy who’s currently in prison for killing a friend in a drunken hit and run. I’ve no doubt I’ll bump into him at some stage when he gets out and I’ve no idea how I’ll react.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Many moons ago I was doing a HTML night class. One lad in the class just seemed not to fit in and had trouble understanding the basics and so i helped him out, we got chatting a few times and I thought nothing of it. He then went completely missing, even at the end of the course so I assumed he had dropped out. A few weeks later the Guards found his body cut up into pieces out in the woods near the airport. Turns out he was an informer on some drug gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I know of a former Taoiseach doing something illegal that most people wouldn't know about.

dead or alive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭notabogsnotion

Was Legal Secretary to two infamous gangland criminals. One would only speak to me rather than the solicitors while in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

All of my fellow inmates here in the asylum are "serious criminals" of one type or another.

All of my fellow inmates here in the asylum are "serious criminals" of one type or another.

Can I be in your gang? I found my last asylum didn't really fit my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

He arsed about the house in his boxers all day. No worse than walking around in shorts. Hardly crime of the century. I’ve been doing that most days I’m off work during Covid, I must be a real danger.

Oh, and having a cigarette at night!! The deviant. I don’t do this now, that’s a bridge too far. Plus I’ve never taken up smoking.

When i said smoking, it wasn't just tobacco.

If you just move into a house and within a week are casually walking around in your underwear infront of a young female housemate there is something not right with you. He was doing this the first weekend there. I was away that weekend which meant she was there on her own. This girl was not a shrinking violet, an intercounty camogie player, but she was genuinely freaked out by him.

If you ever have a daughter, picture her living in this scenario. Would you be happy....tell her its all ok as the poor guy gets a pass for having mental health problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Packrat

I know of something surprising/interesting involving serious criminals that happened to a former Taoiseach which never came out in the news even though it should have and isn't anywhere online that I've looked.

Trade?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

Mulbert wrote: »
    A good few of the thick flunkers I went to school with ended up in jail. They were purebred scumbags. Thieving, horrible, treacherous scum.

It was obvious they were going to be but unfortunately only one of them has been murdered.

One lifer, a couple of suicides.

Christ. Do you feel so bitter? You need help.

When i said smoking, it wasn't just tobacco.

If you just move into a house and within a week are casually walking around in your underwear infront of a young female housemate there is something not right with you. He was doing this the first weekend there. I was away that weekend which meant she was there on her own. This girl was not a shrinking violet, an intercounty camogie player, but she was genuinely freaked out by him.

If you ever have a daughter, picture her living in this scenario. Would you be happy....tell her its all ok as the poor guy gets a pass for having mental health problems?

Mum to a teenager - I'd get her the hell out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dont know any personally, but about 15 years ago was in Belfast one weekend and ended up having a one night stand with a woman who claimed to be estranged from one of the Shoukri brothers. Had no idea who they were and was pretty bolloxed, woke up next morning round the corner from sandy row. Yer one was as orange as a super split and was not impressed with herself, so got away early and back to the lads where the fear really set in after a bit of investigation. She could have been bullsh1tting, but I stayed out of belfast for a good while after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Went to school with a bloke who chopped up and stuffed some guy into a suitcase and ditched the lot into a canal in Amsterdam a few years ago. Was a nice guy, never would have picked him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

retalivity wrote: »
    Dont know any personally, but about 15 years ago was in Belfast one weekend and ended up having a one night stand with a woman who claimed to be estranged from one of the Shoukri brothers. Had no idea who they were and was pretty bolloxed, woke up next morning round the corner from sandy row. Yer one was as orange as a super split and was not impressed with herself, so got away early and back to the lads where the fear really set in after a bit of investigation. She could have been bullsh1tting, but I stayed out of belfast for a good while after that...

so how was the interracial sex :pac:

retalivity wrote: »

What a pathetic story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Feisar wrote: »
    A lad that was a regular in a pub I worked in killed a man. I found out when one of the other barmen came in with a paper with the story in it.

guy in the locality where i grew up got in a pub fight about thirty years , they went outside and one of them hit his head of the kerb and that was the end of him , guy i knew escaped jail

hes an asshole to this day but kept on the straight and narrow afterwards and while he killed someone , was never a criminal in the common sense of the word , hes married to a guard now believe it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭jasonb

I don't normally talk about it much, but I knew both Joe & Rachel O'Reilly. Really struggled with the realisation that someone I thought I knew could fool me so well. Just a horrible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Lived 20ft away from someone who is still in jail over a high profile murder on the naas rd in 1996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Met Eddie Gallagher through an ex of his (they were on very good terms, she obviously had issues and had a tragic death) he was a charmer and did a line on good Poitín, luckily, even in my 20's a million years ago, I was well able for the charm and the Poitín so thats as far as it went.

Advertisement