Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever known a "serious" criminal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he wasn't that sweet then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

fryup wrote: »
    he wasn't that sweet then

Intelligent enough to appear sweet. A sociopath perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gmisk wrote: »
    Thankfully no.
    A few people in my secondary school year were caught with bomb equipment etc and charged with membership of the IRA. The trial collapsed.

same here but he got 25 years and served 22 big stretch for a 20yo

Also met and slightly knew the Border Fox through my parents. Seemed nice but was on garda watch at a funeral

psycho, he did some "security "work for a dublin ex hotelier and got another 6 years

micar wrote: »
    1) Knew a lad who lives a few mins walk from home, killed his nephew who was a infant

This guy had serious physiological problems.

Found guilty but insane.

2) A lad i played football with was done for murder.

soldier?

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Westmeath? I lived close enough and the guys kids were in the same school as me.

I'd rather not say, but no, not Westmeath or anywhere near it.
    gary550 wrote: »
    If it's the same chap I'm thinking of then he's out, 23 years for killing two people.

If it was a just society he would have rotted in the ground a long time ago.

If we are talking about the same "B**s", the details of the other case are a bit sketchy after 25 years but I believe it was a separate incident for which he "got away" with just a manslaughter charge. I can't remember exactly, prefer not to speculate since I've no idea if we are even on the same page here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 War ensemble

Went to school with a lad who raped 2 women. Went to jail. Released after about 8 years and then murdered another woman. He was mad in school but was still shocked to hear what he'd done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm aware of a "smooth" criminal, but he is dead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Just thought of another....lad who was a few years behind me in school... always in trouble, punched a teacher etc... ended up leaving school at 14 and got mixed up in drugs,
    legged it to England and was dealing there, fell foul of the yardies and his body was recovered from 3 or 4 different wheelie bins...what a way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Was there a phone involved and did the murder take place in a field?

DG, think it was over a phone and a hammer was used. On or close to a playing pitch. Sick prick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

This chap used to run a security company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamon_Dunne

Well rather his dad (who was a tough cookie) did.

Construction company I worked for during the early 2000s used them for our Dublin sites. Eamonn was on my site several times.

We had stuff stolen off 3 sites in a short time frame and I, in my youth and Innocence, had a go at the 2 of them over one theft where the security man was either asleep, missing or in on it.

In fairness they were professional throughout and reimbursed us for that theft.

I know you said he was professional when you dealt with him but what was your impression of Eamon Dunne? Did he come across as a guy not to be messed with? He was after all suspected of ordering up to a dozen murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We had trouble with some local teenagers around halloween.
    2 of his security guards were attacked. Gang of teenagers armed with all sorts jumped the gates and the 2 lads had to baracade themselves in the office and call the guards.
    The night after Eamonn stayed on site and a few of his mates were about the town.
    Last bit of trouble we had.

Another time a piece of plant was lifted off a Dublin site. Eamonn got it back! 2 lads dropped it overnight to the yard of our subbie.

Can't say he came across particularly scary or as some lunatic.

I dealt more with his dad. Eamonn seemed to only be about when we had trouble.
    As per OP his dad is/was a tough nut.
    Fella tried robbing a site he was watching one night and came off the worse for wear (Dunne Snr was in his 60s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I know you said he was professional when you dealt with him but what was your impression of Eamon Dunne? Did he come across as a guy not to be messed with? He was after all suspected of ordering up to a dozen murders.

strange line of questioning ....are you writing an article or genuinely have an interest in a dead persons personality when he was alive.

if you genuinely have an interest - most criminals are decent people to talk with but can change quickly if they feel you have done wrong by them - or they don't trust you.

strange line of questioning ....are you writing an article or genuinely have an interest in a dead persons personality when he was alive.

if you genuinely have an interest - most criminals are decent people to talk with but can change quickly if they feel you have done wrong by them - or they don't trust you.

I'd have a similar curiosity to Wolf's. There are some who I'd love to sit down with and look inside their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

givyjoe wrote: »
    Anyone who's a member of Carlisle Gym knows at least 2.. The Viper's still a member then there's this guy. The latter owns Babylon (Cambden Street)the reviews for which are essentially just a list of people telling stories of being assaulted by staff there, including the owner Tony.

I remember reading the Google and Trip Advisor reviews of that Babylon place on Camden street and yeah, lots of assaults on customers by the bouncers. It seems if you werent eating your kebab fast enough for them they would tell you to hurry up and get out and that started lots of rows which would end up in the customer being physically removed with a few digs thrown at them for good measure. Hard to believe they are still in business, plus the owner being a murderer full of rage, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I remember reading the Google and Trip Advisor reviews of that Babylon place on Camden street and yeah, lots of assaults on customers by the bouncers. It seems if you werent eating your kebab fast enough for them they would tell you to hurry up and get out and that started lots of rows which would end up in the customer being physically removed with a few digs thrown at them for good measure. Hard to believe they are still in business, plus the owner being a murderer full of rage, no thanks.

Sounds like a rougher version of Nandos.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I had a neighbour when I lived in holylands many moons ago, helpful chap to me when my dog got ran over. he must of had a lot of friends in the Gardai, they were always visiting him, even when he wasn't there.

was it the late Larry Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Went to school with a guy who murdered someone in Dublin on a night out. He wasn't one of "The Poors" so he served a short sentence and is probably respected by the people on here who do nothing but **** all over anyone they consider working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ...plus the owner being a murderer full of rage, no thanks.

Shocking that he got away with just a fine. Absolute disgrace.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

givyjoe wrote: »
    Anyone who's a member of Carlisle Gym knows at least 2.. The Viper's still a member then there's this guy. The latter owns Babylon (Cambden Street)the reviews for which are essentially just a list of people telling stories of being assaulted by staff there, including the owner Tony.

Is it Tony Mekhalfia or his nephew is the serious criminal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

A fellow I would have gone to school with got elected for fianna fail.

I know you say this jokingly, but I knew a guy who would overtly sell stolen merch around the town: jeans, aftershave, runners etc. He is now a FF councillor.

kowloon wrote: »
    Went to school with a guy who murdered someone in Dublin on a night out. He wasn't one of "The Poors" so he served a short sentence and is probably respected by the people on here who do nothing but **** all over anyone they consider working class.

Your shoulder seems a bit chippy Kowloon :)

I don't like the way people are called scum when they're poor but add a bit of money into the equation and they can get away with all sorts and be accepted back into society's upper echelons. But I guess you're okay with it?

I don't like the way people are called scum when they're poor but add a bit of money into the equation and they can get away with all sorts and be accepted back into society's upper echelons. But I guess you're okay with it?

It was an odd comment to make. Even the assumption that I would be ok with it.
    You posted about somebody you knew of who murdered another. Sure so what if he was wealthy? And who are the "people on here" who refer to those who are working class as "scum"?

I've come across the term alright to describe awful behaviour but not class.

It was an odd comment to make. Even the assumption that I would be ok with it.
    You posted about somebody you knew of who murdered another. Sure so what if he was wealthy? And who are the "people on here" who refer to those who are working class as "scum"?

I've come across the term alright to describe awful behaviour but not class.

You've been on this site long enough to know there is no shortage of snobs on AH. Not saying it's everyone.
    There's a strong element of class in the justice system. I'm sure I wouldn't get the same punishment as someone from a rough area relying on a public defender. If you have a bone to pick with me take it to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

He's right though. The forum is infested with extreme reich wingers. An opportunity to do down working class/welfare recipients is never missed whereas you never see them put the boot into white collar criminals, corporate welfare recipients or large farmers etc. (the latter benefit from massive welfare in the form of the CAP) Ironically most of them seem to be in make-work jobs themselves as they always have free time to post on here, day and night.

You've been on this site long enough to know there is no shortage of snobs on AH. Not saying it's everyone.
    There's a strong element of class in the justice system. I'm sure I wouldn't get the same punishment as someone from a rough area relying on a public defender. If you have a bone to pick with me take it to PM.

There will always be those who look down their noses at others. Again I just thought it odd that you mentioned it in your post, it seemed like you had an axe to grind and were angry with the posters here. You are right, it isn't everyone.
    I don't have a bone to pick with you
    *confused face*

tdf7187 wrote: »
    He's right though. The forum is infested with extreme reich wingers. An opportunity to do down working class/welfare recipients is never missed whereas you never see them put the boot into white collar criminals, corporate welfare recipients or large farmers etc. (the latter benefit from massive welfare in the form of the CAP) Ironically most of them seem to be in make-work jobs themselves as they always have free time to post on here, day and night.

Of course. The post just seemed a bit like the poster had a chip on their shoulder when it came to those who are not "the poors". That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

More likely a “tall tale”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

Local guy, had it all, captain of Gaa team, public service employee.

Convicted of serious crime, now going to serve 7 years in jail. Only convicted this week. Nobody can understand why he did it.

Such an unusual one. The family must be in bits. (Obviously victim also )

Advertisement