Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

NIAC to recommend restriction of AstraZeneca vaccine for over-60s
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0412/1209247-coronavirus-vaccine-ireland/

Wow, didn't think they would go with 60's.

Well that's going to set us back a little seeing as the 60s are to be the ones called forward shortly

Christ, have they a figure on how many under 60's have been given their first dose of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Cork2021

NIAC to recommend restriction of AstraZeneca vaccine for over-60s
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0412/1209247-coronavirus-vaccine-ireland/

Not being funny or anything, but are they having a fûcking laugh?? This is a serious **** up! How many over 60’s have been given 1’shot of either Pfizer/Moderna and how many have 2? This is just seriously slowing things down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I dread to imagine what their plan is for people waiting on their second dose (myself included). If they take the route of offering a single Pfizer dose as the prime booster (as opposed to full schedule of 2 doses) or J&J I'm going to be fairly miffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So having already decided it wouldn't be given to 70+, that just leaves the 60-69s to get it.

• Advertisement

Christ, have they a figure on how many under 60's have been given their first dose of it?

Plenty, most countries though are going ahead with the dose 2 if they've already got dose 1.

The mix and match isn't approved, would be shocked if it was implemented here. Can't see an issue with going ahead with dose 2 for those that have had 1

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Not being funny or anything, but are they having a fûcking laugh?? This is a serious **** up! How many over 60’s have been given 1’shot of either Pfizer/Moderna and how many have 2? This is just seriously slowing things down!

It basically limits it to people from 60 - 69. A lot of whom may now turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

they'll have to divert all remaining over 70s and the 60-69 to get AZ. We'll end up with AZ sitting around otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Miike wrote: »
    I dread to imagine what their plan is for people waiting on their second dose (myself included). If they take the route of offering a single Pfizer dose as the prime booster (as opposed to full schedule of 2 doses) or J&J I'm going to be fairly miffed.

As far as I know, no person who has received an AZ vaccine has developed blood clots after the second dose - therefore getting the follow up AZ dose 12 weeks later should not be an issue, no matter what their age.

Plenty, most countries though are going ahead with the dose 2 if they've already got dose 1.

The mix and match isn't approved, would be shocked if it was implemented here

I wonder will many refuse the second dose if we go ahead with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

they'll have to divert all remaining over 70s and the 60-69 to get AZ. We'll end up with AZ sitting around otherwise.

Time for a new roadmap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Wow, didn't think they would go with 60's.

Well that's going to set us back a little seeing as the 60s are to be the ones called forward shortly

They are in a difficult situation here now. Do they avoid giving any over 60s any the other vaccines and give them only Astra Zenica? This would mean 55-59 will probably be vaccinated before 60-69. Feels like Ireland are being overly cautious as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

If they'd gone 55+ (like France), that would bring in another 300,000 people for AZ. Surprised they've gone to 60

It’s a ****ing joke!!! I haven’t been this angry in long long time! So we’ll just wait and twiddle our thumbs so! AZ were the saviours now the clowns!

Perfectly doable - I imagine they will be able to use up their entire AZ supply in coming months no matter what.

We're only a few days short of the target to have all over 70's offered a first dose, there may not be enough over 70's to avoid a stockpile building.

Klonker wrote: »
    They are in a difficult situation here now. Do they avoid giving any over 60s of the other vaccines and give them only Astra Zenica? This would mean 55-59 will probably be vaccinated before 60-69. Feels like Ireland are being overly cautious as usual.

Not necessarily - their attitude is that the vaccines are all in and around the same standard in terms of effectiveness, so they can give the over 60s any vaccine and whatever is available (as the first dose).

Strazdas wrote: »
    As far as I know, no person who has received an AZ vaccine has developed blood clots after the second dose - therefore getting the follow up AZ dose 12 weeks later should not be an issue, no matter what their age.

The official line is because of the limited experience in second dose candidates it cannot be ruled out :rolleyes: I'll take my chances with the second dose if that's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They'd hardly make it available privately to anyone who wants to roll the one in a hundred thousand dice?!?

Perfectly doable - I imagine they will be able to use up their entire AZ supply in coming months no matter what.

Highly unlikely to be honest.

We're down to the age 70 bracket now so there's only 60-69 to be called forward that could now get AZ. It's not going to take months to get them done

• Advertisement

If they'd gone 55+ (like France), that would bring in another 300,000 people for AZ. Surprised they've gone to 60

On the other hand, it's almost a stroke of luck that only about 20% of Irish people are getting AZ - makes it much easier to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Problem is very few have gotten a second dose. Not enough to make a like for like comparison with the first dose. It'd be a while yet before risk for second dose is quantified.

Not necessarily - their attitude is that the vaccines are all in and around the same standard in terms of effectiveness, so they can give the over 60s any vaccine and whatever is available (as the first dose).

Would be surprised now if an operational decision wasn't taken to reduce the use of Pfizer to ensure the supply is there to move to the 50-59 age group in the next few weeks.

Moderna don't deliver in big numbers & J&J aren't going to deliver in big numbers for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What about people under 60 that have already gotten one dose of AZ?

This is also going to cause an enormous headache in that the 60-69 group likely won't have their second dose until August/September.

Meanwhile basically every other adult age group will in theory (if supplies hold up) be covered by two doses or single dose J & J before them...

Highly unlikely to be honest.

We're down to the age 70 bracket now so there's only 60-69 to be called forward that could now get AZ. It's not going to take months to get them done

But there must be many hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland in that bracket - most people are not dead by the age of 70.

Also, there appears to be no issue with giving AZ as a second dose (so all of those hundreds of thousands will require their second dose).

What about people under 60 that have already gotten one dose of AZ?

No one knows at the moment. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if when the announcement is officially made that they don't even reference this specific issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

How far could this set us back?

How much slower will it be now?
    Looking at in now only positive I can see is that the younger generation will he fully vaccinated faster, the generation under 45 which is driving case numbers! But have we enough??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

At this stage AstraZeneca is absolutely fcking worthless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement