Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

This is also going to cause an enormous headache in that the 60-69 group likely won't have their second dose until August/September.

Meanwhile basically every other adult age group will in theory (if supplies hold up) be covered by two doses or single dose J & J before them...

I very much doubt they'd leave the 60-69 group waiting just so they could use up all AZ doses. We know we'll have a surplus of vaccines at the end of this, and it's likely AZ will make up the majority of those. They'll be donated to Covax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

funnydoggy wrote: »
    How far could this set us back?

Not that much I would think. The main people disrupted will be under 60s with underlying conditions, but it shouldn't take 'too' long to divert vaccine supplies in the various different directions.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is the NIACs recommendation likely to be implemented as is, or is there room for leeway?

Over 60s seems a bit over-cautious for me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Miike wrote: »
    No one knows at the moment. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if when the announcement is officially made that they don't even reference this specific issue.

They should at least offer you the choice of getting your next dose as AZ. Mix and match could throw up another very rare reaction for all we know and where would that leave the programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We were due 813,000 AZ on Q2

Now they can only be used in 60-69 year olds

Disaster when reopening economy is linked to vaccination program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not that much I would think. The main people disrupted will be under 60s with underlying conditions, but it shouldn't take 'too' long to divert vaccine supplies in the various different directions.
    Where exactly is it supposed to go when the over 60s are done? I don't understand why you're downplaying this so much

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Anyone who got their first Az shot would rightly refuse the second shot at this point too

Anyone who got their first Az shot would rightly refuse the second shot at this point too
    why?

We need the official statement. I'd be stunned if cohort 4 and 7 are restricted from AZ. It may be RTÉ getting the lines crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What about people under 60 that have already gotten one dose of AZ?

They have to send it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Turtwig wrote: »
    They should at least offer you the choice of getting your next dose as AZ. Mix and match could throw up another very rare reaction for all we know and where would that leave the programme?

Mix and match hasn't been studied at all. We have zero trial data using mRNA vaccines as a prime booster and J&J is currently under review for clotting events. If it's going to be J&J just give me my second AZ dose.

I either want the option of having my second dose or else having a full schedule of Pfizer or Moderna (not a single dose prime booster). I'm willing to perish on that rock too. I work in a high risk clinical environment. I want assurances that I'm being offered the opportunity to mount a robust immune response based on evidence and not whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Not necessarily - their attitude is that the vaccines are all in and around the same standard in terms of effectiveness, so they can give the over 60s any vaccine and whatever is available (as the first dose).

But if they can't use Astra for the under 60s and the give the over 60s whatever is available first then we will end up with a load of unused Astra vaccines and our schedules will be pushed out at least a few weeks. If NIAC said under 50s we probably wouldn't have this issue.

I'd love to know how they came to this decision. Is it that much more prevalent in people in 50s rather than 60s?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Is the NIACs recommendation likely to be implemented as is, or is there room for leeway?

Over 60s seems a bit over-cautious for me.

I think the CMO can override or at least amend it, but going against expert advice isn't something to be taken lightly if its purely in the interests of expediency.

Really surprised they went with 60s, I was expecting 50s or maybe even 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

This is too much! In the last week I've lost the ability to travel to see my family abroad thanks to the imposition of MHQ and I have no idea if/when this will change and now the advice for AZ is so conservative it will almost certainly slow down the vaccination program again. Vaccines are the only hope we've been offered for a return to normality and now they want to limit one of the handful that we have in any substantial quantities to a cohort of people who have largely already been vaccinated!!

How about this? Those of us who are under 60 and would happily trade 10 years of our lives to be able to sit in a theatre again, have a pint with friends, go to a shop without a mask, and travel abroad can sign a waiver and still get AZ so that all of us can get out of this nightmare as soon as possible. I will happily risk the 0.001% chance of a severe side-effect instead of the 100% chance of continuing to exist the way we've been doing for the last year! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Turtwig wrote: »

Rte.ie report is based on a NIAC meeting this morning but they say a further meeting is ongoing to sign off. But obviously that second meeting may not go as rte suggested - seems to me that rte.ie could yet have jumped the gun here.

Where exactly is it supposed to go when the over 60s are done? I don't understand why you're downplaying this so much

Don't forget everyone has to be vaccinated twice. Let's say they do 350k people : that's immediately 700k AZ doses taken care of.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We were due 813,000 AZ on Q2

Now they can only be used in 60-69 year olds

Disaster when reopening economy is linked to vaccination program

300k 60-69 year old - 600k doses
    233k already administered as first doses - bulk of these have not received 2nd dose - that's most of the 813k used up.

And its likely that guidance will be refined at some stage as more is understood about the potential adverse effects and the subsets of the population potentially impacted

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Sanjuro wrote: »
    My mam's friend has a GP who has never computerised. Does everything with paper and pencil. Real old school type. Unsurprisingly, it's been absolute chaos trying to get his patients vaccinated. Said friend is 75. Not a sign of getting even the first dose so far.

How on earth in this day and age, is the GP practice not computerised. Surely when hospital tests, medication is ordered etc. That is shocking!!

Don't forget everyone has to be vaccinated twice. Let's say they do 350k people : that's immediately 700k AZ doses taken care of.
    What about after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Exactly this, I'd love to know where people think the supplies are supposed to go.

Any dose 1 now for anyone over 60 should be primarily AZ, if not it's a waste of supply. If it's going to be Pfizer, Moderna or J&J for u60 only then leave them for the u60 now.

It was Pfizer or Moderna only for over 70 due to the initial AZ advice, now pivot it around.

None of this is ideal and either way it delays things somewhere along the line.

Shocked that they went with 60 tbh, expected somewhere in the middle between some other EU countries and the UK, thought maybe 40 or so

• Advertisement

What about after that?

Once we run out of people to vaccinate with AZ, then we officially have a surplus of it. But that surely will not happen any time before summer. Around 3m adults have not received a vaccine of any description yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

233k already administered as first doses - bulk of these have not received 2nd dose - that's most of the 813k used up.

And its likely that guidance will be refined at some stage as more is understood about the potential adverse effects and the subsets of the population potentially impacted

That would potentially mean some over 60s waiting until June to get their first AZ vaccine and second in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good luck selling AZ again to other ages after this

There was already a good portion of people wary of taking it

This new advice from NIAC will amplify concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

So you're saying we should not give any 60-69 any other vaccines? This would mean a lot of people under 60 will be vaccinated before this group as the 60-69 group will be waiting on the Astra supply.

I'm not disagreeing but this is the tough decision now that government or however will have to make. Either what I outlined above or give out doses as they come in, meaning we'll have a load of Astra left over pushing our overall timeline out.

This could be Fergal Bowers jumping the gun, wouldn't be the first time he has done it. Hope he's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This could be Fergal Bowers jumping the gun, wouldn't be the first time he has done it. Hope he's wrong.

It'll probably be the recommendation, up to the CMO and the Dept of Health now (including the minister) . I'd be surprised if they went against them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I think I broke my fingers crossing them so quickly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Why are you thinking that RTE jumped the gun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

SusanC10 wrote: »

Fergal Bowers usually does, to be fair

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »

No official statement from NIAC. That's jumping the gun regardless of what the statement when released entails.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement