Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Itziger wrote: »
    Only 3 lads up with the pacers, it's a bit disappointing. More in the women's race last time I saw it.

Think that is all that would have been expected to be there, other than the guy who got gout and had to drop out who would have been just making sure he came in the top two or nobody got the time.

For the mens race they need the time as nobody running today has it, for the women it's all about placing as the top group all have the time already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Think that is all that would have been expected to be there, other than the guy who got gout and had to drop out who would have been just making sure he came in the top two or nobody got the time.

For the mens race they need the time as nobody running today has it, for the women it's all about placing as the top group all have the time already.

I thought the time for Uk was 2:11:30 and thought O'Connor ran 2:11:20 in London?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought the time for Uk was 2:11:30 and thought O'Connor ran 2:11:20 in London?

Yep, seems he did. So one of them does have the time, I'll blame the commentators for confusing matters earlier. :)

Yep, seems he did. So one of them does have the time, I'll blame the commentators for confusing matters earlier. :)

The women's race will be interesting as not many have the time with best ones not racing today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Funny how the kms have taken over, eh? Living in Europe for the last 30 years I always use 'em but now even the old Brits are 5k splits in this marathon and I guess it's been a few years like that, right?

Do you folk find you've made that change over the years? I find the 5km splits in marathon especially helpful. Maybe even a Half. Single k splits in anything shorter I suppose. I've never even run a 10 miler. Did a 5 mile race once in Cork.

• Advertisement

Women's race splitting. Wouldn't it make more sense for one of the two pacers to drop back to the little group?

Funny how the kms have taken over, eh? Living in Europe for the last 30 years I always use 'em but now even the old Brits are 5k splits in this marathon and I guess it's been a few years like that, right?

Do you folk find you've made that change over the years? I find the 5km splits in marathon especially helpful. Maybe even a Half. Single k splits in anything shorter I suppose. I've never even run a 10 miler. Did a 5 mile race once in Cork.

Been 5km timing splits for years, at least as long as they have had the tech to provide such split timing. The timing markers on the likes of London Marathon have always been by the 5km for as long as I've been aware of them, but the major balloon markers on the road would be for the miles with clocks at the 5km points.

I'd think both in terms of pace I'd need for each 5km and each mile during a marathon, but wouldn't have any clue about what 1km paces I'd be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

As much as I admire Callum Hawkins... FFS, less than 20mins racing left!

As much as I admire Callum Hawkins... FFS, less than 20mins racing left!

He was only there as a pacer, already confirmed to have an Olympic place.

He was only there as a pacer, already confirmed to have an Olympic place.

Exactly, lets watch the racing rather than a 3 min interview. They already missed the big move in the mens race prior to that.

I wasn't having a go a Callum at all. Its the coverage!

• Advertisement

Exactly, lets watch the racing rather than a 3 min interview. They already missed the big move in the mens race prior to that.

Got you, but at least they are not chatting to people dressed as rhinos running across Tower Bridge.

They are not doing too bad for coverage being done on a couple of GoPros on the back of bikes and a bloke in a tent flying a drone.

Got you, but at least they are not chatting to people dressed as rhinos running across Tower Bridge.

They are not doing too bad for coverage being done on a couple of GoPros on the back of bikes and a bloke in a tent flying a drone.

:D

On a side note, how does TV coverage of all major marathons always seem to miss the big moves within major marathons? Split screen coverage could be good too?

Anyways, fair play to Thompson, looking strong. I wonder how things are going for O'Connor?

:D

On a side note, how does TV coverage of all major marathons always seem to miss the big moves within major marathons? Split screen coverage could be good too?

Anyways, fair play to Thompson, looking strong. I wonder how things are going for O'Connor?

Sounds like Connor, no O', could be safe in that they won't get the time today...so he just needs to come in second to be certain of getting the place ahead of Johnny Mellor. If Connor finishes third then it will be down to Mellor recovering from his gout.

Sounds like Connor, no O', could be safe in that they won't get the time today...so he just needs to come in second to be certain of getting the place ahead of Johnny Mellor. If Connor finishes third then it will be down to Mellor recovering from his gout.

Chris got the time and won so he is on the plance. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Delighted for Chris Thompson, brilliantly judged race and ran a big PB to boot

OOnegative wrote: »
    Delighted for Chris Thompson, brilliantly judged race and ran a big PB to boot

He looked as strong as an ox when he caught the lads. Thank God for streaming. Had a meeting at 11 so missed it live. Don't know what the commentators were looking at but you could see him getting nearer in the background before he caught the leading trio. Shame about the big move alright.

I had to laugh though cos just before that they'd been on about the Welsh lad and how strong he looked! Full time farmer, will need to go from far out, mightn't have the speed......... BANG!

Anyway, delighted for the almost 40 year-old.

The woman in 3rd, 9 min pb. Jeez.

He looked as strong as an ox when he caught the lads. Thank God for streaming. Had a meeting at 11 so missed it live. Don't know what the commentators were looking at but you could see him getting nearer in the background before he caught the leading trio. Shame about the big move alright.

I had to laugh though cos just before that they'd been on about the Welsh lad and how strong he looked! Full time farmer, will need to go from far out, mightn't have the speed......... BANG!

Anyway, delighted for the almost 40 year-old.

The woman in 3rd, 9 min pb. Jeez.

They missed him at the half way point on the camera so assumed he was miles back, but you could always see him in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Grace McKenzie scored 5734pts in the Heptathlon at the Texas Relays today (and yesterday). She had a fantastic 6.15m in the Long Jump. Rhasidat Adeleke clocked 23.40 in the 200m heats, and goes in the final tomorrow.

Davicia Patterson is on the 800m start list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Grace McKenzie scored 5734pts in the Heptathlon at the Texas Relays today (and yesterday). She had a fantastic 6.15m in the Long Jump. Rhasidat Adeleke clocked 23.40 in the 200m heats, and goes in the final tomorrow.

Davicia Patterson is on the 800m start list.

Barry Keane (Waterford) 28.34 10k at the same meeting.

Rhasidat Adeleke...Davicia Patterson

23.27 wind legal and 2:06.26 respectively.

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    Barry Keane (Waterford) 28.34 10k at the same meeting.

This was at the Raleigh relays, not Texas.

This was at the Raleigh relays, not Texas.

My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Exciting things happening in the US college meets that I've noted in the last couple of months.

Terrence Laird and Matthew Boling are emerging as very exciting sprinting prospects. Boling pipped Laird in the last indoor 200 m meet before moving to outdoors. Laird has since run a 19:81 200 m. That would have got him gold in the last World Championships. Spaces on that US team will be tough to get as always.

Even after a bad start he did this.

In the middle distance Cole Hocker looks to be absolutely flying and has a serious sprint kick finish. I don't know if he could get neat Cheryuiot or Ingebrigtsen in the 1,500 but it's been exciting to follow.

The delay of 1 year with the Olypics has given the likes of these younger guys a great opportunity to make the national team.

Looks like the NN marathon mission in Hamburg is gone,
    Well actually postponed but will have to look for a new venue.

Might be hard to find a venue at short notice considering the rising covid numbers.

https://twitter.com/NNRunningTeam/status/1377262593102974986?s=19

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Itching to see some proper athletics action again soon. Roll on the Diamond Leagues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

OOnegative wrote: »

Major cycling races have taken place in Spain, Belgium, and Italy recently. And I’m sure there are plenty of other countries that would also be more than willing to host the race. That fact that it has just been postponed by one week tells me the organisers are already well on the way to finding a solution.

zico10 wrote: »
    Major cycling races have taken place in Spain, Belgium, and Italy recently. And I’m sure there are plenty of other countries that would also be more than willing to host the race. That fact that it has just been postponed by one week tells me the organisers are already well on the way to finding a solution.

I meant it’s not great to read a race of such small numbers getting postponed and having to find an alternative place to run. The NN team no doubt have a back up plan in place.

https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5745

Istanbul Half on Sunday. Geoffrey Kamwaror and Brigid Kosgei down to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,726 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Advertisement