Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

GOH 2.21.38
    Sean Hehir 2.23.36
    Tommy Hughes 2.31.17
    The Claw DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

OOnegative wrote: »
    GOH 2.21.38
    Sean Hehir 2.23.36
    Tommy Hughes 2.31.17
    The Claw DNS

Tommy Hughes is some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I see the chap from Cork Athletics is still Tony Holohan in disguise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Chivito550 wrote: »

You would nearly have to admire him still beating the same drum when he knows every runner in Cork hates him!

In more positive news great to see athletics on TG4 today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Tommy Hughes is some man.
    Listening to him not happy with the time as he missed 10 days training. Never settle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Kate O Connor nat record in Italy, 6297. 123 off olympic Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Some run from Jake Smith, he was only down to pace up 25k mark, decided to stay going and ended upon winning in a Olympic qualifying time of 2.11, only 4 days after running a 3.50 1500m pb., unfortunately that won't be good enough to earn a spot on Team GB as there's already 3 faster and selected.
    Apparently his longest run was 19/20 miles.
    He paced in Kew gardens as well and looked extremely comfortable there. He does have a 60. 30 half under his belt, but impressive all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ceepo wrote: »
    Some run from Jake Smith, he was only down to pace up 25k mark, decided to stay going and ended upon winning in a Olympic qualifying time of 2.11, only 4 days after running a 3.50 1500m pb., unfortunately that won't be good enough to earn a spot on Team GB as there's already 3 faster and selected.
    He paced in Kew gardens as well and looked extremely comfortable there. He does have a 69.30 half under his belt, but impressive all the same.

59.30 surely?

Link?

https://www.corkathletics.org/news/2188-showdown-in-pulford-cheshire-elite-marathon-2021.html

One of many examples over the last year. Embarrassing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Ceepo

OOnegative wrote: »
    59.30 surely?

Oops my bad. 60.30

Big finger, small keyboard syndrome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Ceepo wrote: »
    He paced in Kew gardens as well and looked extremely comfortable there. He does have a 60. 30 half under his belt, but impressive all the same.

I saw bits of the coverage this morning. He seemed pretty relaxed too, chatting to passers by etc. He was down to pace 2:11:30 though yeah? The NZ runner Moody that he had been running with for most of the footage that I saw, missed out by 7 seconds yet Smith was 30 seconds under?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

I don’t see your point. Is it somehow something wrong with stating why they can travel to the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

rom wrote: »
    I don’t see your point. Is it somehow something wrong with stating why they can travel to the race?

There are about 10 other articles from John Quigley throughout the past 12 months with negative undertones demonising athletes in Cork for the slightest infractions and some are just complete B.S. rumours

He is using the Cork Athletics website as a pulpit to share his own opinions and most club runners in Cork are rightly sick of it and want him gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

healy1835 wrote: »
    Ann Marie McGlynn 2:29:34......that's devastating.

Apparently she had to make a toilet stop in the latter miles. Not sure if that's true or not but if it was it cost her dearly. Heartbreaking.

deisedude wrote: »
    There are about 10 other articles from John Quigley throughout the past 12 months with negative undertones demonising athletes in Cork for the slightest infractions and some are just complete B.S. rumours

He is using the Cork Athletics website as a pulpit to share his own opinions and most club runners in Cork are rightly sick of it and want him gone

https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1674-covid-19-and-long-runs-or-long-periods-in-public.html

This post is the worst of the lot.

Kate O'Connor, NR in Heptathlon with 6297 pts. That should get her to Tokyo. What a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's a year old. A lot has been learned since then. It seems to me to only be reminding people about the guidelines. Surely that's part of the job of the County Board, especially if they have a popular website, which they seem to have (unlike Dublin County Board e.g.)

Don't see much if anything wrong with it, given the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Kate O'Connor, NR in Heptathlon with 6297 pts. That should get her to Tokyo. What a performance.

123 short of Q but I presume she will get there on ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Murph_D wrote: »
    It's a year old. A lot has been learned since then. It seems to me to only be reminding people about the guidelines. Surely that's part of the job of the County Board, especially if they have a popular website, which they seem to have (unlike Dublin County Board e.g.)

Don't see much if anything wrong with it, given the timing.

There’s reminding people of the guidelines and there’s going totally over the top involving the Gardai.
    Cork county board have always been a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

• Advertisement

What an athlete! Minus winds in her hurdles and 200m so she should break it again in better conditions. Looks to have all the tools to become a world class senior athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Forge83 wrote: »
    What an athlete! Minus winds in her hurdles and 200m so she should break it again in better conditions. Looks to have all the tools to become a world class senior athlete.

She's currently 3rd in the world now.

I wonder will she do another Hept before the Olympics? or will she be chosen as part of the top X?

She's currently 3rd in the world now.

I wonder will she do another Hept before the Olympics? or will she be chosen as part of the top X?

I’d imagine they would prefer not to and focus on individual event competitions competing in 2 events per day. But they will have a heptathlon event lined up just in case she gets pushed down the qualification list.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Forge83 wrote: »
    I’d imagine they would prefer not to and focus on individual event competitions competing in 2 events per day. But they will have a heptathlon event lined up just in case she gets pushed down the qualification list.

Yeah.

I see Vicente is due to compete in another Heptathlon in Arona.

https://european-athletics.com/news/vicente-smashes-spanish-heptathlon-record-with-6304-points-in-lana

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Temporarily closing to allow Mods to review some posts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There is some continued discussion in relation to posts in this thread, we will reopen as soon as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

15'43 PB for Aoibhe Richardson over 5k and 23 flat for Rhasidat in the 200 (wind +2.7 though).

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh the thread has been reopened. No idea why it got closed in the first place.

Anyway, Sifan Hassan will be running a "fast" 10,000m in Hengelo on June 6th. I wonder if she's got the world record on her mind, that was the original intention back in October when she ran her 29:36 but an obviously disrupted season and horrible weather didn't allow. Would be quite a gauntlet to lay down before Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Athletics tonight with World Relays in Poland, Tokyo spots up for grabs over the weekend. Fairplay to the Poles hosting yet another covid impacted event after Gdynia and Torun.
    In normal times the number of spectators would have been huge in Torun and here I'd imagine, the country is keen on atheltics as seen by the upward trend over their athletes over the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Adeleke ran a 100m PB in the last few minutes: 11.58 +0.2

Advertisement