Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Faugheen wrote: »
    Williams has a faster time outdoors in the 200m and 400m than Healy. You’ve obviously read far too much into their indoor times or you don’t actually know just how fast Williams is.

Healy literally ran faster than she ever has. Yet she should be beating a woman with a 51.2s outdoor PB?

Be disappointed, that’s fair, but you can’t put that on her when she ran a PB.

But this is indoors! and her 200m pb is from 7 years ago.

Healy had the form and the advantage of the lane draw in her favour.

Both got PB's in the final.

It's about seizing the moment and capitalizing on it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But this is indoors! and her 200m pb is from 7 years ago.

Healy had the form and the advantage of the lane draw in her favour.

Both got PB's in the final.

It's about seizing the moment and capitalizing on it.

And she did, by running faster than she ever has.

Seriously, you are wrong here in every facet.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

She'll never find herself in a better position to win a medal.

It's a missed opportunity for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

To give some personal perspective.....there was a time in the recent past when I took up running in a big way, running 60 or 70 miles a week, club training, intervals, recovery, speed training, endurance training, stretching, not going out drinking, it really took over my life (in a good way).

That was about good enough to get me - personally - to about top 50 or 60 in a national novice or intermediate cross country race; top 15 in Dublin. Middle of the pack in senior. And I'd always have been a 'decent runner' growing up, in the classroom or school or among friends.

So when I look at someone who can get to this level in European context, a continent of nearly a billion people as opposed to 5 million here - in a sport in which every single one of those countries has strong competition - I am just in awe.

3rd......4th......I dont really care. Either way its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    To give some personal perspective.....there was a time in the recent past when I took up running in a big way, running 60 or 70 miles a week, club training, intervals, recovery, speed training, endurance training, stretching, not going out drinking, it really took over my life (in a good way).

That was about good enough to get me - personally - to about top 50 or 60 in a national novice or intermediate cross country race; top 15 in Dublin. Middle of the pack in senior. And I'd always have been a 'decent runner' growing up, in the classroom or school or among friends.

What happened to you......

Your standard to me is awe inspiring, what Phil Healy does is on another stratosphere!! 4th is a superb achievement at a distance that isn’t her strongest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

51.94 won atleast bronze at the last five European indoors. Phil was up against two world class athletes who will be aiming for the final at a minimum over the 400/400h in Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OOnegative wrote: »
    What happened to you......

Your standard to me is awe inspiring, what Phil Healy does is on another stratosphere!! 4th is a superb achievement at a distance that isn’t her strongest.

Got injured, short and simple. Having said that, the amount of time it consumed probably wasnt sustainable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Win a medal.

Williams found a way from lane 1 and Healy had a faster time going into the Championships, Healy had a huge advantage over Williams with her lane draw too.

I'm just disappointed that she didn't get a medal.

Nobody has huge advantages in races via race set up

That would make the sport completely unfair

You are way exaggerating this..

Only “huge” advantages could be natural talent and hard work....

Lavin due soon?

Lavin 4th is semi final 3..

Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I thought Lavin did well. 8th to the final and she was ranked 9th, just outside her PB. It would have required a sub 8 to make the final which may be a bit beyond her at this point.

A very exciting men’s high jump. The young Belarusian really delivered at the big heights, Tamberi seemed to be in control but just came up short.

The Polish Men’s 4*400 have been pulled due to a positive corona test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭deisedude

Looks like we will go away from these champs with no medals but to be fair many Irish athletes have run PB's and strong performances like Phil Healy, Sean Tobin, Sarah Lavin and Cian McPhilips

Bit disappointed with Power and English. Thought the two of them should have been making finals

Ah well, Tobin still has a faster PB than Jacob!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

walshb wrote: »
    Ah well, Tobin still has a faster PB than Jacob!!

Jacob is awesome. 2.21 for the last k. The UK 1k record is only 4 seconds faster than that.
    Certainly not the right type of race for Sean, as he doesn't have a big turn of pace or kick finish.
    That unfortunately is championships racing especially in finals.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Didn't see all three of Bosse, Tuka and Kszczot being shut out of the medals there.

Easy stuff from Jakob in the 3k. I was actually hoping he might go hard from the gun and blow them all away with a sub 7:30 but not to be.

First gold for Keeley Hodgkinson at 19, bright future ahead.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Jacob is awesome. 2.21 for the last k. The UK 1k record is only 4 seconds faster than that.
    Certainly not the right type of race for Sean, as he doesn't have a big turn of pace or kick finish.
    That unfortunately is championships racing especially in finals.

Yes. Effortless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Hamachi

First gold for Keeley Hodgkinson at 19, bright future ahead.

Super impressive. She’s the real deal. The strength in depth of British middle distance running is phenomenal.

Crazy to think their two most stellar talents (Laura Muir and Gemma Reekie) weren’t even there. I wish we could reproduce a fraction of their success.

Incredible speed shown by Del Ponte in the 60m. I didn’t think she was capable of that kind of time. She’s just elevated herself into sub 11:00 / Olympic finalist territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Christ Dave Matthews on comms isn't great. Great runner back in the day but leaves a lot to be desired for an 'expert' cocomm would rather Gillick, Derval or someone else on there to be honest.

What a decisive 60 metres win!!

• Advertisement

Ser Jay Bubka..

Who’s he, Matthews?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Christ Dave Matthews on comms isn't great.

Have to agree. He’s pretty poor and is coming across as very ill prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ceepo wrote: »

That relates to emergency funding for 2020 and is not related to the original question. At least I think it isn’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

He's actually terrible. He speaks really slowly as if he is looking down and reading every word he is saying. Not near as knowledgeable as Derval, Dave or Rob

Murph_D wrote: »
    That relates to emergency funding for 2020 and is not related to the original question. At least I think it isn’t!

Was the €31m ALL emergency funding?

GAA received over €6m in state funding in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Sean Tobin was narrowly beaten in the national 10,000 metres, says his best distance will be marathon yet is incredibly hard on himself for finishing 11th in a 3000 metre final. Surely he should be delighted to be making the final of a distance that is nowhere near long enough for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

The Jman wrote: »
    Sean Tobin was narrowly beaten in the national 10,000 metres, says his best distance will be marathon yet is incredibly hard on himself for finishing 11th in a 3000 metre final. Surely he should be delighted to be making the final of a distance that is nowhere near long enough for him!!

I would have thought the same. Guess it's that winners mentality

Sean won the 10000m, it was the 1500m that he was narrowly beaten in.
    I don't think he was hard on himself for finishing 11th, I think it was the way he assessed his performance in the final. He said he should have tried to to cover the split, but didn't at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

He won national 10000m. It was 1500m he was narrowly beaten in.

• Advertisement

Yes.

He seemed to be searching for answers.

There are none. The speed/endurance to keep up simply wasn’t there.

Not much more to it...

He ran a PB yesterday. Sometimes that type effort to run your fastest time means the next day you may well suffer

The true world class athletes can put in multiple fast runs at these meets.

Sean is not at that type level..

Advertisement