Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Big Ears wrote: »
    Best to call it a day ?

He's likely to quality for a second Olympics later in the year, he just broke the National Indoor record at 800m and he's getting €20,000 a year in Sport Ireland funding at the minute.
    That's ignoring the fact he's only 27 and if he could find his best form he absolutely has a chance to nick a medal at European Championships, Indoor or out over the next few years.

Now if you'd like to rephrase that as "English was well off Championship conteding standard there, I don't fancy him to win another medal at European level again", fair enough. But call it a day ?

I'd never write English off. He bombed out in heats at Europeans in 2018, and 7 months later took a bronze at European Indoors.

There's 2 things he will want to tick off:

1) The Irish outdoor 800m record
    2) Reach a global 800m final

He probably would have ran 1:43 in 2014 had he been in that hot race in Monaco (Alex Rowe ran 1:44.40 and he's not a patch on Mark), but he prioritised Zurich Europeans, which was the right call. For one reason or another that Irish record has alluded him. When he ran within 0.02 of it years ago, it seemed inevitable he would take it, but it hasn't happened. The spikes advancements brings that target firmly back into range again.

The second goal is tougher, but it's something that is achievable. He was 10th in Beijing in 2015 (9th now as a result of a doping DQ). He absolutely has the ability to get there. But so do about 30 others.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

deisedude wrote: »
    He is only 27

I always get the feeling with English he lacks some resilience and if his head isn't 100% right he doesn't perform.

I know he got out of his heat but the warning signs were there. He kept looking back and nearly fell over himself

Agree with this. Never looks to be enjoying the occasion. Always seems like a weight around his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Going back to the Women's 1500m, how in God's name was Holly Archer's appeal successful, and the following counter-appeal unsuccessful ?

I only watched it live, but she seemed to initiate substantial contact with other athletes on 4-5 occasions, including twice trying to pry herself between two athletes (with only a few cm's between each other) using both her arms, as if doing the breaststroke.
    She unquestionably impeded others in her quest to get out of a boxed position and some of what she did was quite dangerous.

Anyone have any detail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

What's the story with Ciarán Ó Lionáird? Is he still training?

I'd have thought he would have ran in a race or two in the USofA by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Big Ears wrote: »
    Going back to the Women's 1500m, how in God's name was Holly Archer's appeal successful, and the following counter-appeal unsuccessful ?

I only watched it live, but she seemed to initiate substantial contact with other athletes on 4-5 occasions, including twice trying to pry herself between two athletes (with only a few cm's between each other) using both her arms, as if doing the breaststroke.
    She unquestionably impeded others in her quest to get out of a boxed position and some of what she did was quite dangerous.

Anyone have any detail ?

I thought the very same when watching it initially. Watching again, one of the Spaniards, Munoz who was tiring, drifted across to the inside as Archer was coming through. Archer had to barge her way through, initially DQ'd but the appeal must have been that the space was there and Munoz cut across too late. Munoz got DQ'd and Archer re-instated.

Prior to that, Archer was stuck behind the field and instead of going wide, pushed Van der Elst , and then clipped heels of Barisevych, checking her progress. I think if the latter had fallen as a result, then we would have seen a DQ. Archer was a bit fortunate there. A horrible, messy race.

I wonder what Mageean thought of it, assuming she was watching. A medal was there for the taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

wgtomblin wrote: »
    I thought the very same when watching it initially. Watching again, one of the Spaniards, Munoz who was tiring, drifted across to the inside as Archer was coming through. Archer had to barge her way through, initially DQ'd but the appeal must have been that the space was there and Munoz cut across too late. Munoz got DQ'd and Archer re-instated.

Prior to that, Archer was stuck behind the field and instead of going wide, pushed Van der Elst , and then clipped heels of Barisevych, checking her progress. I think if the latter had fallen as a result, then we would have seen a DQ. Archer was a bit fortunate there. A horrible, messy race.

I wonder what Mageean thought of it, assuming she was watching. A medal was there for the taking.

It was a poor decision by Mageean not to compete. The only real regrets in life are the chances you dont take.Under par performances are part of sport and particularly elite athletics and are only of any relevance until the next good performance. She may not have been in tip top condition but at worst it would have been a good training weekend and some more championship race experience and at best we will never know. What might have been can not be answered in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'd never write English off. He bombed out in heats at Europeans in 2018, and 7 months later took a bronze at European Indoors.

There's 2 things he will want to tick off:

1) The Irish outdoor 800m record
    2) Reach a global 800m final

He probably would have ran 1:43 in 2014 had he been in that hot race in Monaco (Alex Rowe ran 1:44.40 and he's not a patch on Mark), but he prioritised Zurich Europeans, which was the right call. For one reason or another that Irish record has alluded him. When he ran within 0.02 of it years ago, it seemed inevitable he would take it, but it hasn't happened. The spikes advancements brings that target firmly back into range again.

The second goal is tougher, but it's something that is achievable. He was 10th in Beijing in 2015 (9th now as a result of a doping DQ). He absolutely has the ability to get there. But so do about 30 others.

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/03/04/mark-english-a-doctor-with-time-and-times-for-the-olympics/

He could be working up to 60 hours a week now, he looked disinterested in Torun.

Probably over worked, under trained and tired!

Can he put in the right training to deliver on these above - if he's working so hard?

I'd say he may end up retiring after Tokyo to concentrate on his medical career.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    It was a poor decision by Mageean not to compete. The only real regrets in life are the chances you dont take.Under par performances are part of sport and particularly elite athletics and are only of any relevance until the next good performance. She may not have been in tip top condition but at worst it would have been a good training weekend and some more championship race experience and at best we will never know. What might have been can not be answered in retrospect.

It was a soft field and an inform Mageean would have won that. But if she's not in good shape, then there is very little point. She doesn't lack experience so I'm not sure what she'd gain from donking out in the heats against vastly inferior athletes.

She's dealing with grief at the moment. She's probably better off dealing with that in whatever way suits her best, focus on her training and come back stronger in the summer.

Better days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

What's the story with Ciarán Ó Lionáird? Is he still training?

I'd have thought he would have ran in a race or two in the USofA by now.
    Not sure. Looks like he's still training from his IG. He had covid around the turn of the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Germans had terrible championship and things not going well for them, nearly as bad as the Irish for the excuses and spin afterwards
    We had an athlete who didnt qualify beacause he got injured in the warm up but still ran and most of the others will take from it and move on to the next championship and we'll hear it all again .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://www.watchathletics.com/article/11361/nagoya-women-s-marathon-the-first-mass-participation-race-to-be-held-in-japan-during-covid-19-times/

Anyone fancy some cross dressing & a trip to Japan!! Joking aside, only a positive to see a mass participation event happening in the world.

https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5688

Some quality racing in Dresden Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The glory of getting to represent you country..
    AI travel arrangements for getting to Torun for european indoors.

Thursday 5am flight from Dublin to Amsterdam. (need to be in the Airport approx 3 hours before hand)
    9am flight from Amsterdam to Warsaw.
    3.5 hr bus journey to Torun stadium for covid test.
    Some of the Irish team didn't reach their hotel until 8/9pm..

Compare to another athlete that book their own tavel.
    Friday 9am flight to Gdansk, 90min shuttle to Torun....

The wonder of it all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ceepo wrote: »

Thursday 5am flight from Dublin to Amsterdam. (need to be in the Airport approx 3 hours before hand)

:eek: How are they expected to pull out their A-game after that :(

There were no direct flights they could have used?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Possibly trying to maximise AerClub miles so the Execs can travel business to Tokyo!

Ive know idea tbh. I was talking to one of the athletes and that's what they told me.
    I know Bydgoszcz airports is approx 40k.
    Not sure if there are direct flights to there since covid. Ryan air used to fly there.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Possibly trying to maximise AerClub miles so the Execs can travel business to Tokyo!

Supposedly there were very few direct flights going from Dublin to any of the airports anywhere remotely near Torun.

I'd give them a pass based on the current aviation climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Supposedly there were very few direct flights going from Dublin to any of the airports anywhere remotely near Torun.

The comment was a little tongue in cheek (kind of).

You're certainly a little more forgiving than I am. While it is still some distance there was direct flights from Dublin to Gdansk, as that's the way Brian Fay booked his own travel arrangements
    If AI insisted on there route then they could have went day or 2 earlier to allow time to catch up on some rest.

• Advertisement

https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5706

British Olympic Marathon trials live tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5706

British Olympic Marathon trials live tomorrow morning.

Jeez, Friday?? I'll be able to see a bit of it. What's the story, Top 2 + 1 Selectors' pick or what?

Itziger wrote: »
    Jeez, Friday?? I'll be able to see a bit of it. What's the story, Top 2 + 1 Selectors' pick or what?

Here is the low down on the selection process.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a35885039/british-olympic-marathon-trials/?utm_campaign=socialflowFBRWUK&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Hawkins pre-selected but running as pacemaker? What's the odds he does a Tom Byers and carries on to win the thing if he's feeling good? :-)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Hawkins pre-selected but running as pacemaker? What's the odds he does a Tom Byers and carries on to win the thing if he's feeling good? :-)

Hehe, I'm presuming he'd get a right bollocking off the coach! What's he going to do, 18 Miles?

He's faster than the field anyway, right? So that suggests he's not really going to be doing his marathon PB pace. Must check what that is, but I'm guessing near as bedamned to 3.00 min/kms.

EDIT: Maybe not! I thought he'd run faster........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Itziger wrote: »
    Mens top 2 as one already picked

Marathon just started. Heads up.

That setting though. I know the rewards are high for the first two but I think I'd find it hard to really concentrate/get in race mode as it's a run around a park with 10 or 12 other lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

One of my former club mates got an invite to the trials but guess they are injured or something as not on the list of pacers. Another local runner is in the women's field, Charlotte Taylor-Green, but she seems to be trailing off the back already, she'd been a pacer for London elite UK field a couple of years ago. She's the one covered in tattoos if they do happen to show her at all.

Natasha Cockram is obviously only doing so well after the experience of when I paced her to a course record at a parkrun, she was following me all the way until the last 400m or so, then took 10 seconds out of me. :)

• Advertisement

Only 3 lads up with the pacers, it's a bit disappointing. More in the women's race last time I saw it.

Advertisement