Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just a few comments on the action so far.. disappointing to see Clérigh Butter go out so meekly. Hope Nadia races well later, looking at her competition, I think she should make the final handily enough? Although a bit scared after seeing people on here saying she looked a bit laboured.

Don't know what happened to Mark English in his heat, looked to be cruising and then almost lost his place. I know he had the stumble but was it just carelessness on his part? Looked to be struggling a bit crossing the line. Cian McPhillips looked great though, barely looked like he was out of second gear. I'd say he has a shot at making the final too? Would be impressive at just 18.

Glad to see Jakob got reinstated. Even if there was a rule break he really didn't gain any advantage, plus it'd have been a hollow, hollow win for Lewandowski. Looking forward to the 3000m final tomorrow, he should win that with his eyes closed. Also hoping Krause can medal later but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Clinical from Keeley Hodgkinson. Thought Jozwik might have left it a bit late there but no bother to her. Nadia next up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Looked laboured. I know that's the way she tends to look but that was not great. Tired, I'd say.

Clinical from Keeley Hodgkinson. Thought Jozwik might have left it a bit late there but no bother to her. Nadia next up.

She looks like the real deal, that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Disappointing from Power, one of her slower times. She has had a good indoor season, hopefully she can push on get to Tokyo.

3 more British ladies in to a middle distance final, some strength in depth. Hodgkinson looked very impressive.

Not sure I agree with Derval saying she is young and needs more years. I think the 800 ladies were a bit disappointing in Toruń.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Power looked exhausted at 700m. 4 secs off her SB. 2:03 for the winner, slow enough race. She has to be disappointed.

Poor Garcia, he really deserved a final spot with that front running. Tuka looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Had to laugh at Irish commentator: 300 to go. “They’re not gonna’ catch him.”

He was about 6/7 metres ahead, not 60-70

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

Nádia ran a belter mid Feb in Toran and I'm almost sure I saw her put up a post saying that's it, last race before Champs but then the following week she raced again in Madrid and it was quite a tough race, she went with the early pace and died the last 200m, still ran 2'01 mind.
    She just looked tired in Rd 1 & tonight, hopefully from a prep/peaking pov she's learned a lot.
    Bright future ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

McPhillips time now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

walshb wrote: »

was suprised he got caught nyself. Mattews would have a fair idea about 800m.

Thats some serious pace from the off

jamule wrote: »
    was suprised he got caught nyself. Mattews would have a fair idea about 800m.

I wasn’t....

Happens so much at 800. You could see he was taking it out too hard..

Cian McPhillips sets a european u20 record

That was a very fast race. Kramer went out to hard, I had him as a medal contender.

A fantastic Euro U20 record for McPhillips. He has a bright future ahead of him.

The Pole is disqualified so Kramer goes through. I’m sure there’ll be an appeal.

Wottle wrote: »
    She just looked tired in Rd 1 & tonight, hopefully from a prep/peaking pov she's learned a lot.
    Bright future ahead.

Exactly. Why not build towards these major competitions rather than arriving to them drained?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

He ran 1:46:13 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

walshb wrote: »

And with 100m left for cian mcphillips he was 10 metres down and he said cian is showing great maturity by not getting involved in the battle at the front:rolleyes:

Solid from the young lad. I like the cut of his jib.

The Buster wrote: »
    And with 100m left for cian mcphillips he was 10 metres down and he said cian is showing great maturity by not getting involved in the battle at the front:rolleyes:

FFS...I missed that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Garcia made a right balls of that, looked like he panicked a bit in the last 10 metres when he saw the 2 lads over his shoulder

English not at the races

Bosse with the most French looking moustache ever grown.

Well done Kszczot. He had to work for that. I’ve always enjoyed over the years, a great championship performer. Bosse looked very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

terrible positioning from english, he had to make a surge at 300 and that the end of him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Why doesn't his 1:46:13 count as a record?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Wottle wrote: »
    Nádia ran a belter mid Feb in Toran and I'm almost sure I saw her put up a post saying that's it, last race before Champs but then the following week she raced again in Madrid and it was quite a tough race, she went with the early pace and died the last 200m, still ran 2'01 mind.
    Bright future ahead.

Spot on... she picked up a few quid for finishing
    2nd in world series but too many races over a number of weeks left her flat here. Oppsite fir English lacked match practice needed another couple of races before these champs.

Track positions at start of 1500? Based on times in semis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

KaneToad wrote: »
    Why doesn't his 1:46:13 count as a record?

U20 championship record?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Women's 1500m final was such a mess

Advertisement