Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Jaysus, Shinners running crying to Westminster!!!

Gone behind the DUPers backs - a great recipe for peace and co-operation. You'd think both governments would be very vary of this, the Brits really are a bit stupid. Points of commonality between the communities need to be sought out, no points of difference that entrench.

Anyway kick the can down the road to September and cue the inevitable resistance from unionism in general towards this act. No way Westminster can enact this like gay rights. So it'll all blow up again and they'll go storming off to the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

blanch152 wrote: »
    You need to be careful around here from now on.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/on-your-bike-cycling-accident-legal-firm-in-sinn-fein-challenge-to-trade-deal-40544617.html

Sinn Fein have started using an ambulance-chasing law firm so who knows who'll be sued next.

I'd be careful what you say here Blanch - they also seem to have some expertise in defamation law!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,259 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Furze99 wrote: »
    Gone behind the DUPers backs - a great recipe for peace and co-operation. You'd think both governments would be very vary of this, the Brits really are a bit stupid. Points of commonality between the communities need to be sought out, no points of difference that entrench.

Anyway kick the can down the road to September and cue the inevitable resistance from unionism in general towards this act. No way Westminster can enact this like gay rights. So it'll all blow up again and they'll go storming off to the polls.

Elaborate on that? Why 'no way'?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Jaysus, Shinners running crying to Westminster!!!

For what died the son's of Róisín???

Using the GFA which they were involved in the design of and which they signed up to, to snooker Unionism and the British into living up to?

I suggest you come out of the 1970's and 80's and realise and accept how far forward things have come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

DUP imploding also. Win/win for SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Would the Brexit outcome and NI Protocol be different now if SF had used its seats in Westminster? Able to use London when it suits!

Would the Brexit outcome and NI Protocol be different now if SF had used its seats in Westminster? Able to use London when it suits!

Nope. Over a hundred MPs in the difference,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Elaborate on that? Why 'no way'?

Do you really think that the London government will try and enact a Languages Act over the heads of Unionists and against their wishes?? You could argue that it might suit the DUP for it to be imposed on them. More realistically it will both bring down the NI administration and bring crowds onto the streets. The only way such an Act can be brought in is with agreement across all communities.

We'll know in 90 mins when the nominations are due. Leaked email appears to state Poots never consulted with his party regarding this,

Furze99 wrote: »
    Do you really think that the London government will try and enact a Languages Act over the heads of Unionists and against their wishes?? You could argue that it might suit the DUP for it to be imposed on them. More realistically it will both bring down the NI administration and bring crowds onto the streets. The only way such an Act can be brought in is with agreement across all communities.

Did you think Boris would have brought in a Sea border after what was said and what happened?

If the British think it is expedient it will happen. If it doesn't then it is just more win win for nationalists.

Stop and think of the absolute bind the Unionists have gotten themselves into here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,293 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd be careful what you say here Blanch - they also seem to have some expertise in defamation law!

I don't think there is a chance of them suing me anytime soon. Civil standards of proof apply to defamation law, that is why Gerry Adams never sued anyone who said he was a member of the PIRA.

Congratulations in order to SF on Acht na Gaeilge. Disgraceful that they had to yet again snooker the British and the DUP on it.

It will be interesting to see if the British live up to it by September but grist to who's mill will it be if they go back on their word?

That is Comical Ali funny. Sinn Fein did nothing except run to Daddy in Westminister to protect them from the bad boys. Pathetic really.

Your spin on this is admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Lynn Boylan taking a high court case against CETA. Personally I reckon it's unlikely that the case will fly since the Oireachtas hasn't actually passed CETA yet, and I was under the impression that one couldn't challenge proposed legislation in court prior to that legislation clearing all five stages in both houses - am I right in thinking that a legal challenge to a piece of legislation more or less has to take place in between that legislation clearing the Oireachtas, and being signed by the President?

Either way, this is a good look for her in terms of capturing the left-wing vote in Dublin Bay South. It seems that those hoping for an FG victory are banking on a Peoples' Front of Judea issue in which the left is broadly split between SF, Labour, SocDems and PBP. Although personally, I've never thought this particularly matters during a by-election, since PR still applies and with only one seat to go for, ultimately every transferrable vote is going to end up mattering. Ultimately, this by-election will swing (in my view) on how the FF transfers work out - in other words, once FF's candidate gets eliminated as is surely a near-certainty, will there be more left-leaning or neoliberal-leaning FF voters in terms of who their next preference of candidate is?

I don't live in Dublin Bay South myself so I'm not sure how much of an election transfer issue Irish Nationalism is likely to be in a by-election there. It's often said that FF to SF transfers are primarily from those who prioritise issues such as reunification, but I'd argue that in this particular case it's a little unique as FF being in coalition with FG is entirely unprecedented, and ultimately how FF's votes transfer will depend on whether there are more FF voters who feel that being in coalition with FG is preferable to being in coalition with SF, or vice versa.

Going to be a nail-biting by-election either way, seems it's genuinely all to play for and could be a very exciting count for the political junkies amongst us :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Congratulations in order to SF on Acht na Gaeilge. Disgraceful that they had to yet again snooker the British and the DUP on it.

It will be interesting to see if the British live up to it by September but grist to who's mill will it be if they go back on their word?

I am expecting huge victory parades by the people in Northern Ireland affected by this language act. When do they start do you know?

ineedeuro wrote: »
    I am expecting huge victory parades by the people in Northern Ireland affected by this language act. When do they start do you know?

The bitterness dripping off that post just because nationalists got equal treatment.

A little bit of acceptance of new realities required amongst our southern brethren too it seems.

That is Comical Ali funny. Sinn Fein did nothing except run to Daddy in Westminister to protect them from the bad boys. Pathetic really.

Your spin on this is admirable.

:) SF played them at their own game, cornered them and then used the very thing they were implored to sign up to and observe (the GFA) by the moral grand standers and STILL the bitter recrimination from blanch.

Hilarious to see so much discomfort, I have to say.

The bonfires will be lit tonight.
    The bitterness dripping off that post just because nationalists got equal treatment.

A little bit of acceptance of new realities required amongst our southern brethren too it seems.

Acceptance of new realities? You have a long way to go.

DUP seem to have accepted the new reality, First and Deputy First Ministers appointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

You didn't answer my question
    If this was a huge victory for the people of Northern Ireland, when will the parades etc start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭gifted

As long as they get off my TV screen I don't care who was appointed to what......

• Advertisement

You didn't answer my question
    If this was a huge victory for the people of Northern Ireland, when will the parades etc start?

Níl a fhios agam. ;)

Looks like Poots did a Collins.

You would think from the celebrations around here that we suddenly had a united Ireland, instead we have a promise from Boris of an Irish Language Act.

The faith in the British is strong among the good republicans.

DUP in turmoil is the sweetner in this deal.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    DUP in turmoil is the sweetner in this deal.

Ah yes, the ultimate prize is getting one-up on them-ums.

And so the NI merry-go-round continues. Both sides as bad as each other.

Ah yes, the ultimate prize is getting one-up on them-ums.

And so the NI merry-go-round continues. Both sides as bad as each other.

That's just the added bonus. Won't apologise for Sammy Wilson/Dodds et al getting brought into the 21st Century, even though you'd prefer to appease them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fine Gael is the Republican Party now

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That's just the added bonus. Won't apologise for Sammy Wilson/Dodds et al getting brought into the 21st Century, even though you'd prefer to appease them.

The true colours always show through. Triumphalism, not for an ILA, but for getting one over Wilson/Dodds/Poots and the rest of themums.

To be fair, the other side up there would be the same, there are two of you at it.

The true colours always show through. Triumphalism, not for an ILA, but for getting one over Wilson/Dodds/Poots and the rest of themums.

To be fair, the other side up there would be the same, there are two of you at it.

All politics is triumphalism. Why are you here shouting down the Shinners otherwise whilst defending staunchly your FG party regardless of all its scandals.

• Advertisement

Talk on the tweet machine of a vote of no confidence in Poots.

Advertisement