Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yea we’d tend to sell a few in small numbers during autumn and have a few then to sell kinda anytime from now into summer. We try to have weight on them because I think at that in between weight (400-500) you dont get paid. I saw heifers sold last week in the mart and they were raggy and hairy not a thing wrong but they needed a dose and a wee lick of meal. It amazes me how many people dont make any plan at all then just wake up one Saturday and sell and get peanuts. They need to have some wee bloom on them

My lads last autumn were around 350kg 7-8 months. Used to hold them until approx 450kg. But if can time sale and bit of style the price difference wasn't much.
    I'd love to keep all heifers (well 7 😀) and feed meal and grass this year, still may. Eating silage field at shed anyway. And going to buy good shot silage. Might force me to sell caows later in year,

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yea that’s it. At the time of bulling I wanted to let her run on to autumn as she was a very muscly heifer and was being bulled along with girls 3-4 months older. When you see the difference with the Charolais girl it makes you think. Lucky enough to have live calf. He now needs to be worth 200 more than an AA etc to pay for himself (not to say an AA couldn’t go the same way)
    Thinking we’re gonna have to pick out some of the better cows and get maternal ai into them. Three sections and three hard calvings all in a few days is heavy going. Same time around here the heifers nearly always need help at the least.

Not meaning to come across as though it's a lecture but surely focus needs to be now on easy calving sires, above all else I would say.

You'll be down the bones of €1000 cos of sections. 3 is an awful amount from herd that size.

It's a balancing act I think until you prove a cows calving ability and they bulls that you use. My heifers get less that 5%cd and going to make sure that they are a good size for calving too.. proven easy calving the the following year. And depending on how thing s go I crease the difficulty a bit until mature.
    I hoped to up the difficulty a bit for them cows the after trying my better calves, but with mixed results this year. With not getting the better calf from the higher CD,13%, might just go back to nice Charlaois that I know they can calf. Finding the right bull for each cow is key I suppsoe

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

tellmeabit wrote: »
    It's a balancing act I think until you prove a cows calving ability and they bulls that you use. My heifers get less that 5%cd and going to make sure that they are a good size for calving too.. proven easy calving the the following year. And depending on how thing s go I crease the difficulty a bit until mature.
    I hoped to up the difficulty a bit for them cows the after trying my better calves, but with mixed results this year. With not getting the better calf from the higher CD,13%, might just go back to nice Charlaois that I know they can calf. Finding the right bull for each cow is key I suppsoe
    Maybe, I'd be strongly on the easy calving element above all else though anyway. Each to their own I guess.

Ya I'd try error on the cautious side. These last 2 blues that were to be 13% were really easy calved, be that cos I don't give cow meal, or cos bull is new. Or cos i dont understand CD ratings fully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

trg wrote: »
    Not meaning to come across as though it's a lecture but surely focus needs to be now on easy calving sires, above all else I would say.

You'll be down the bones of €1000 cos of sections. 3 is an awful amount from herd that size.

Not at all lad happy to hear your opinion. It’s a combination of things one is that our own bull’s heifers were coming on and I ai’d 6/9 of them and 5 came back. We’d been using fifty cent on heifers this good while and all goin ok so when I got a pointer of a wee sim bull at reasonable money I said I’d give him a go. He’s 5% CD although obviously not reliably tested. He’s harder than I’d like. Another factor is that some of the heifers coming from our better cows have ended up a bit well made for breeding. Now at the moment there’s 8/9 calved down and 2 were sections. I’d prefer zero of course but that’s how it goes.
    The other section is nothing to do with the (lim) bull, vet handled her and calf bed was twisted so he said we better operate. I still have doubts but the vet’s the vet no point having him and then not going with the advice.
    The 3 sections will be £500 and I hope that’s it but there’s two girls left that concern me.
    At the time I was looking about the Sim bull I was contacting a man about a shorthorn bull but he was gonna be over a grand dearer and no guarantees there wouldn’t be a section or two there as well. I’m just after injecting that wee girl that had the operation and thinking to myself ‘that calf isnt that big’

I talked to the lad who does our bales and he’s pontificating to me that we’re bulling heifers too young. He calves them at 3 yo. They’d have similar numbers to us. Happened to be talking to his brother later on and I just asked him if they had many sections themselves and he told me 5. I’m hoping to let the ones left to calve out for a bit of exercise in the next day or two and hopefully that will loosen them out. Lot of key factors and performance indicators to consider and of course the bull is a big one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The other section is nothing to do with the (lim) bull, vet handled her and calf bed was twisted so he said we better operate. I still have doubts but the vet’s the vet no point having him and then not going with the advice.

With twists you've six options.

If it's very long-standing and cow is well -> factory

If it's very long-standing and the cow is unwell -> shoot

If it's not too twisted -> untwist manually and pull out

If that doesn't work, or it's too twisted -> consider rolling (needs space and lots of help)

If that's not feasible and twist is recent -> operate

If that's not feasible and twist is not recent -> operate with a very guarded prognosis, or shoot, or factory.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Part two (Submitted previous post by accident)

Now, there are times when, while it may be possible to untwist ,manually, it is not the best approach.

For a suckler farmer, the calf is everything. If I deliver a dead calf after untwisting the uterus, that's failure not success.

Because, if I'd done a section the calf might have come out alive!

Reason:
    A twist delays the normal progression of labour. Cows don't appear to be calving or don't appear to be progressing. The tendency is to leave them alone to get on with it.

What this means is that uterine contractions are continuing even if abdominal straining never starts. The calf's life support apparatus (its placenta) is on count down to releasing from its mooring on the uterine buttons. The calf's oxygen supply is in peril. While the twist is present fluid pressure keeps the two in contact. The calf is on borrowed time. Once the twist is undone, the calf needs to come out quick as huge volumes of fluids are now expelled. Getting him out fast could be complicated by the size of the calf or the situation where the cervix isn't fully dilated as the calf was never presented to open it.

These factors mitigate against a happy ending.

A section which carries a better chance of a live calf may be the better option.

In a dairy cow....

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Part two (Submitted previous post by accident)

Now, there are times when, while it may be possible to untwist ,manually, it is not the best approach.

For a suckler farmer, the calf is everything. If I deliver a dead calf after untwisting the uterus, that's failure not success.

Because, if I'd done a section the calf might have come out alive!

Reason:
    A twist delays the normal progression of labour. Cows don't appear to be calving or don't appear to be progressing. The tendency is to leave them alone to get on with it.

What this means is that uterine contractions are continuing even if abdominal straining never starts. The calf's life support apparatus (its placenta) is on count down to releasing from its mooring on the uterine buttons. The calf's oxygen supply is in peril. While the twist is present fluid pressure keeps the two in contact. The calf is on borrowed time. Once the twist is undone, the calf needs to come out quick as huge volumes of fluids are now expelled. Getting him out fast could be complicated by the size of the calf or the situation where the cervix isn't fully dilated as the calf was never presented to open it.

These factors mitigate against a happy ending.

A section which carries a better chance of a live calf may be the better option.

In a dairy cow....

Ok thank you for that I shouldn’t have doubted the vet. While I have you are twists one of those things or can they be caused and therefore prevented? Will the cow be ok to breed again?

I don't think they can be prevented as I don't think anyone really knows what causes them. The dam having a fall or getting caught up (in a dyke, in cubicles) is sometimes part of the history. The calf is often on the larger side. It has to rotate 90° at the start of labour- maybe it gets fouled up trying to do do?

If the cow will go back in calf then it should be fine.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was there something about bringing them on a bumpy ride in a trailer or is that a twisted gut?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was there something about bringing them on a bumpy ride in a trailer or is that a twisted gut?

Touted as a LDA cure. More likely to cause a twist.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thanks for the concise explanation, I never realised how serious delaying intervention could be. We had a first calver this year and another one some years ago. The Vets on both occasions managed to retrieve a live calf .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭emaherx

Last cow calved this morning. Now I can sleep in till at least 6:30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Have a springer with her tail out fully horizontal for the last 3 hours, handled her there now to see if things were in order and she's not open at all, could barely get 3 fingers into the cervix. She's clearly sick, calf was pulling its legs away so he's ok. How long does it normally take them to open up when they are at this stage? I know she probably just needs time. Her antics just throwing me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Have a springer with her tail out fully horizontal for the last 3 hours, handled her there now to see if things were in order and she's not open at all, could barely get 3 fingers into the cervix. She's clearly sick, calf was pulling its legs away so he's ok. How long does it normally take them to open up when they are at this stage? I know she probably just needs time. Her antics just throwing me a bit.

Any chance that it might be a twist in the womb so you can just get three fingers in but she’s actually open but twisted? Sorry not answering your question but have felt it present like that before - it kind of spirals away when you move your hand in to opening as opposed to an even level cervix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Three hours is a long time to have her tail out and no progress made.
    My guess is a big calf and a section, hopefully i'm wrong.

Any chance that it might be a twist in the womb so you can just get three fingers in but she’s actually open but twisted? Sorry not answering your question but have felt it present like that before - it kind of spirals away when you move your hand in to opening as opposed to an even level cervix.

I don't think there's a twist in it, handled one for a neighbour a few weeks ago that had a twist and I twigged it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Had a cow like that last year, doing laps of the pen all night, checked her twice, few hours apart during the night and hadnt opened on both occasions, but like yours clearly sick to calf, checked again following morning and same. Vet inducsd her eventually and still not opened after that so out the side door she came.
    Yours more than likely just needs more time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How’s she now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Could it be some sort of a urinary infection? Is she peeing ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Last one of the season from late Friday night, delighted to be done with it. Though this year was less stressful that last season. Things were much more consistent with the new fella. About 70% are heifers too.

endainoz wrote: »
    Last one of the season from late Friday night, delighted to be done with it. Though this year was less stressful that last season. Things were much more consistent with the new fella. About 70% are heifers too.

Great high calf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think LC is still in the cot. :cool:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Well if it’s like the one I had earlier in the week then about 5 days

Passed the first blister an hour ago.

Passed the first blister an hour ago.

Good luck with her

I've found that with a few, maybe not overnight now, but Think the handling them brings them on am bit. Maybe tis just inexperienced heifers

Calved a little roan Sim heifer herself. Couldn't have worked out much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Good stuff, i couldn't have been more wrong. Is the calf off your new Sim bull?

Advertisement