Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Last cow in to calve tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

squinn2912 wrote: »
    So by your own logic you were dismissing two thirds of the equation by blaming the bull or the breed of bull. This boy is looking slightly hard for me so far but we’re only 3 calves in. 2 assisted calvings and a section. All living calves up within 30 mins. 3 more heifers to calve to him

Look it, you had a tight pull with a simmy heifer , sim bull obvs be bigger and is dodgy on heifers.

Heifers should calve themselves in ideal conditions, if they aren't fit for shorthorn or Angus or simmy ,there probably too narrow for breeding or fed too much

Limousin only job for herifers imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Look it, you had a tight pull with a simmy heifer , sim bull obvs be bigger and is dodgy on heifers.

Heifers should calve themselves in ideal conditions, if they aren't fit for shorthorn or Angus or simmy ,there probably too narrow for breeding or fed too much

Limousin only job for herifers imo

I had many’s a tight pull with Lim calves too. Have often had no trouble with Sim calves on heifers. Any bull can throw a big calf that shorthorn heifer is 500 kgs at a year old now. Over it. Heifer that had the Angus was a bit too well made so didn’t bull her again and let her on getting £1560 so she didn’t do too much harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I had many’s a tight pull with Lim calves too. Have often had no trouble with Sim calves on heifers. Any bull can throw a big calf that shorthorn heifer is 500 kgs at a year old now. Over it. Heifer that had the Angus was a bit too well made so didn’t bull her again and let her on getting £1560 so she didn’t do too much harm.

Doctors differ , patients die, something not right when that many sections and I don't think it's the bull

Doctors differ , patients die, something not right when that many sections and I don't think it's the bull

You enjoy a dig. We had 2 this year in 21 calvings number 20 and 21. One certainly wasn’t the bull because the calf bed twisted. The other may have been the bull our vet speaks his mind and he’d give it to you both barrels if she was over fat. She wasn’t. A big calf on a girl that didn’t open up as much as you’d like, she was chosen because her mother was an excellent calver, quiet and milky. She’ll get another chance and Godwilling have an easier calving next year. Thanks for your suggestions, duly noted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Pulled a big lump of a Beguin heifer out of a CH first calver here. Lovely calf. The heifer herself spent the winter with younger heifers so was well fed even though she’s not fat by any means. Her back end may be narrow alright as mentioned above.. Anyway she took to the calf straight away and hasn’t kicked it once. If only they could all be like that!

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Pulled a big lump of a Beguin heifer out of a CH first calver here. Lovely calf. The heifer herself spent the winter with younger heifers so was well fed even though she’s not fat by any means. Her back end may be narrow alright as mentioned above.. Anyway she took to the calf straight away and hasn’t kicked it once. If only they could all be like that!

Great work well done! Any photos?

Here’s the Beguin calf. Behind her is a black JSS heifer born yesterday as well out of a second calver.

Here’s the Beguin calf. Behind her is a black JSS heifer born yesterday as well out of a second calver.

Two nice contented looking calves. You have them well bedded too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Happy with JSS?

• Advertisement

Yeah he always comes easily calved for me but the calf wouldn’t be small either. I had a bull calf off him around St Pats day and he is shaping away already. I’ve had heifers before that came blonde in colour but were leggy by the time they were weanlings and never sold well for me. Could be the cross breeding off the cow too. Good for stars. I’m going to try a few of the easy calving Bova bulls like Loyal this year to see how they compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Last cow in to calve tonight.

So the last one has proven to be a bit of a head scratcher. Was mooching around all day like she was sick to calve. Was hoping that she would do it outside. Come evening time I brought her in and handled her. Cervix about 4cm dilated. Leave her alone and keep checking her through the night. Still no calf. Still four fingers dilated lithos morning. Ring the vet and he handles her. Says he can section her there or leave her be so we decided that we’ll leave her at it. Didn’t think a cow could be partially dilated for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a suckler cow with milk fever today. She's calved 3 weeks and I had her in yard the last week on hay only, as her calf had bad scour. She has a big bag of milk too. Over 10 year since I had a case here with similar type cow too.
    I'm getting a right doing at the moment with sick animals.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Had a suckler cow with milk fever today. She's calved 3 weeks and I had her in yard the last week on hay only, as her calf had bad scour. She has a big bag of milk too. Over 10 year since I had a case here with similar type cow too.
    I'm getting a right doing at the moment with sick animals.

Strange thing I remember us having one with it years ago too. Put a few tablets into calves and it cleaned up any scour thank God. Have you had other problems?

Strange thing I remember us having one with it years ago too. Put a few tablets into calves and it cleaned up any scour thank God. Have you had other problems?

Mostly scour. I've had to stomach tube a few with Life Aid electrolyte and some natural yogurt. Had a calf too with Diphtheria but he seems to be over it now.
    Exceptionally milky suckler cows tend to get the milk fever, in my experience.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

This girl had all done round 6.30 this morning. I didn’t think she’d calve at all just goes to show. Number 20 nice bull calf great lively calf

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

So the last one has proven to be a bit of a head scratcher. Was mooching around all day like she was sick to calve. Was hoping that she would do it outside. Come evening time I brought her in and handled her. Cervix about 4cm dilated. Leave her alone and keep checking her through the night. Still no calf. Still four fingers dilated lithos morning. Ring the vet and he handles her. Says he can section her there or leave her be so we decided that we’ll leave her at it. Didn’t think a cow could be partially dilated for that long.

Did she calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone else think there is a couple in this lady, she got stuck in the crush last November before I put them to the winterage and she wouldn't be the biggest cow in the place. Have only had a few sets of twins here in my memory. Gone fierce bulky looking in the last fortnight.
    Has this one calved yet - post #18 in this thread. Still hadn't calved by post #270.
    I seem to be more interested in this one than my own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Has this one calved yet - post #18 in this thread. Still hadn't calved by post #270.
    I seem to be more interested in this one than my own :D

Ya, has a cracker of a charolais bull calf. I'll get a pic tomorrow if I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Tight squeeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Nice, good drop of milk too

Tight squeeze.

Aw class outfit!!

Phew!! Big lame girl calved herself. I was keeping an eye during lessons then showed the kids who were mesmerised

That’s 21 now and down to the last 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Phew!! Big lame girl calved herself. I was keeping an eye during lessons then showed the kids who were mesmerised

That’s 21 now and down to the last 7

Brilliant great post

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Brilliant great post

Thanks lad yea I was a bit concerned because she’s the one with the prolapse as well as having very bad feet. My father had more confidence in her and he was right. She’s a strong girl. It’s great when they can do all themselves. Calf up and all in no time.

I know this is a bit of overkill but didn’t she do well to pop that calf out

That's a big calf alright. Talking to a vet this week and he said calves were coming very big this year. He was doing a lot of caesarean sections.

SA Highfield Odhran bull calf out of an AA xSA heifer. She needed a good pull - very tight around the rear end - but once the head came we were fine. a little too much condition on her I’d say but making a great bag of milk. He came a lovely red colour when he dried out so happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Cow with the bit of a prolapse calved this eve.
    CH bull calf, coming backwards.
    She had room so pulled him without it being too traumatic on man and beast thank god.

• Advertisement

That's a big calf alright. Talking to a vet this week and he said calves were coming very big this year. He was doing a lot of caesarean sections.

Yea we had the vet out about a fortnight Ago with a calf that sprained or broke his leg. She was saying thy were inundated with caesareans then and on Friday he said the same so I think we’ve been lucky so far

Advertisement