Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

whelan2 wrote: »
    How much does a section cost?

Haha aw don’t. I think £170?
    Will find out when we get the bill for a few months.

Mate debating Angus he’s getting 700 for weanlings. If that weanling gets 900 he’s still not leaving as much. What price do you put on not getting to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Two in one kinda night & another side door job heifer wee bit small and very muscly but 2 living bull calves isn’t a bad nights work.

Good result anyway, what is the breeding of the section pair? 3/4 lim and sim calf??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

@patsy she's as quiet as a lamb have 3 generations of her here and they'd hardly get out of your way, to be fair most here would be pretty docile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Only started calving in the past week. 10 calved so far including 4 in the past 12hrs. One loss of a set of twins coming arseways. Will a big dent made in the calving by this day week. Cows are out by day in an acre and cow back in at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Haha aw don’t. I think £170?
    Will find out when we get the bill for a few months.

Mate debating Angus he’s getting 700 for weanlings. If that weanling gets 900 he’s still not leaving as much. What price do you put on not getting to bed?

Easy calving has to be key for heifers get the first 2 calvings out easily and you can make a plan from there. The time spent on hard calvings and sleepy calves can be unreal and factoring in the odd loss. Your mate may not be far off the mark. Add in the AA bonus on them when they are hanging up and the less meal to get fat cover on them, it makes a good plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    How much does a section cost?
    €250

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Suckler farmer

Only 3 heifers left to calve here. What’s an acceptable % of heifers that should calve down on their own to an unproven bull with easy calving figures? We’ve had to put jack on about half. Seems thats calves are coming slightly bigger this year. Heifers are just gone 2 years and mainly lim x fr. Looking back on it silage quality was a bit too good for them. Were getting minerals at least 6 weeks prior to calving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

Only 3 heifers left to calve here. What’s an acceptable % of heifers that should calve down on their own to an unproven bull with easy calving figures? We’ve had to put jack on about half. Seems thats calves are coming slightly bigger this year. Heifers are just gone 2 years and mainly lim x fr. Looking back on it silage quality was a bit too good for them. Were getting minerals at least 6 weeks prior to calving

I suppose along with the slightly bigger calves this year maby due to good quality silage your heifers are quite young also.
    I prefer to have my heifers nearer to 3 than 2 when calving just to give them a chance to grow.

Gudstock wrote: »
    Good result anyway, what is the breeding of the section pair? 3/4 lim and sim calf??

Yea that’s it. At the time of bulling I wanted to let her run on to autumn as she was a very muscly heifer and was being bulled along with girls 3-4 months older. When you see the difference with the Charolais girl it makes you think. Lucky enough to have live calf. He now needs to be worth 200 more than an AA etc to pay for himself (not to say an AA couldn’t go the same way)
    Thinking we’re gonna have to pick out some of the better cows and get maternal ai into them. Three sections and three hard calvings all in a few days is heavy going. Same time around here the heifers nearly always need help at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Unproven?
    To answer your question, I'd say 1 in 10, should be assisted.

• Advertisement

Unproven?
    To answer your question, I'd say 1 in 10, should be assisted.

What I mean by unproven was it was bulls first season so we have no previous history to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

What breed of bull is it?

tanko wrote: »
    What breed of bull is it?

Aubrac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Don't know anything about Aubracs, what colours do they bring off those heifers?
    Duo you use him on your cows also?

tanko wrote: »
    Don't know anything about Aubracs, what colours do they bring off those heifers?
    Duo you use him on your cows also?

Haven’t any cows calved to him yet.

Has brought a mixture of colours. Mainly black. Have a red heifer off a black lim x fr. I will try and put up pictures later. Very happy with calve quality and docility but a bit harder calving than what was expected

Has brought a mixture of colours. Mainly black. Have a red heifer off a black lim x fr. I will try and put up pictures later. Very happy with calve quality and docility but a bit harder calving than what was expected

Calved unassisted

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Bb5223 bull calf, unassisted again. Think 291 days.

Next one is may5th. Dep. Nervous still.

tellmeabit wrote: »

Great big boat of a cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭High bike

€250
    Last one here was 4 years ago and 300e,wouldn't want it too often

looks a good lump of a calf too

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    Last one here was 4 years ago and 300e,wouldn't want it too often

That’s some run! How many cows are you calving? I remember the first one I saw at my grand uncles’ and asking my father if wed ever had one... 20 years this year since we were milking but I never remember a fresian or the wee jersey having one. We’d have 2-3 every year. Last year took out as did last week. Heading down now to see the girls and praying I don’t see any bones down

Had an Aubrac bull here for 2 yrs and never had to put a hand on a cow calving,he tended to bring red calves Lm or Sim cows and black from AA

That’s some run! How many cows are you calving? I remember the first one I saw at my grand uncles’ and asking my father if wed ever had one... 20 years this year since we were milking but I never remember a fresian or the wee jersey having one. We’d have 2-3 every year. Last year took out as did last week. Heading down now to see the girls and praying I don’t see any bones down
    calve 22 or 23 every year that section was a big lim bull coming backwards,at least he survived but if he was dead the vet still has to be paid.

Great big boat of a cow
    Some dug of milk by her. Actually finding it hard to get milk out. Used a dry cow tube to open some teats.small Near solid lumps came out. Will let an older calf on her tomorrow to see if they clear her.
    Most cows were a good size, used calf at 30 or so months
    . Defo they are smaller calving at 24 months,probably poor management by me.bak to 27-30 months for girls I'll keep from now on.

High bike wrote: »
    looks a good lump of a calf too
    No as tidy as the heifers 2 days ago. But small enough still. Hope they will come on a good bit with the milky mothers. Fiston calves were larger at birth. Be interesting to see them all in same field together.

Some dug of milk by her. Actually finding it hard to get milk out. Used a dry cow tube to open some teats.small Near solid lumps came out. Will let an older calf on her tomorrow to see if they clear her.
    Most cows were a good size, used calf at 30 or so months
    . Defo they are smaller calving at 24 months,probably poor management by me.bak to 27-30 months for girls I'll keep from now on.

Yea I think 27 is ideal and bull the early calves or else let them run on to autumn if you have that set up like ourselves

Yea I think 27 is ideal and bull the early calves or else let them run on to autumn if you have that set up like ourselves

Ya I'm thinking the 3 or 4 I'll keep from last year, try calve Aug or Sept.they be 30 months in Sept. Sell them at 7 or 8 months, hoping price be better than oct/nov. At mo calving March, trying to bring back. On with the scratch cards for 1st half over weekend and keep them near shed.
    When do ye sell?

Ya I'm thinking the 3 or 4 I'll keep from last year, try calve Aug or Sept.they be 30 months in Sept. Sell them at 7 or 8 months, hoping price be better than oct/nov. At mo calving March, trying to bring back. On with the scratch cards for 1st half over weekend and keep them near shed.
    When do ye sell?

Yea we found it can work well to calve spring born heifers a few weeks before the autumn cows and then give them a chance to slip going in calf when you have time in hand. Same idea for Spring. Two heifers I bought spat out the lim bull’s calves with very little fuss and they were that few months older than these heifers that are having harder calvings. Wee bit of sand on the floor of calving pens is a great job too for grip for cow and calf. Helping a lot here.

We would sell various times but trying to sell in mart pushed on a bit to foreward stores or nearly finished. How about yourself?

Yea we found it can work well to calve spring born heifers a few weeks before the autumn cows and then give them a chance to slip going in calf when you have time in hand. Same idea for Spring. Two heifers I bought spat out the lim bull’s calves with very little fuss and they were that few months older than these heifers that are having harder calvings. Wee bit of sand on the floor of calving pens is a great job too for grip for cow and calf. Helping a lot here.

We would sell various times but trying to sell in mart pushed on a bit to foreward stores or nearly finished. How about yourself?

Try to hold on till April, but sold all bulls in Nov, 7 or 8 months last year. Couple in Jan. Heifers maybe this week or next. They are light. Keep heavier ones. Don't have space for them for winter, kept heifers out in shady field. Not ideal.

• Advertisement

Try to hold on till April, but sold all bulls in Nov, 7 or 8 months last year. Couple in Jan. Heifers maybe this week or next. They are light. Keep heavier ones. Don't have space for them for winter, kept heifers out in shady field. Not ideal.

Yea we’d tend to sell a few in small numbers during autumn and have a few then to sell kinda anytime from now into summer. We try to have weight on them because I think at that in between weight (400-500) you dont get paid. I saw heifers sold last week in the mart and they were raggy and hairy not a thing wrong but they needed a dose and a wee lick of meal. It amazes me how many people dont make any plan at all then just wake up one Saturday and sell and get peanuts. They need to have some wee bloom on them

Advertisement