Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

RD10 wrote: »
    Pic?

Quality not that great.

tanko wrote: »
    Good stuff, i couldn't have been more wrong. Is the calf off your new Sim bull?

Ya, let him off with a good few roan ones, this is the first roan he bred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s a real nice calf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Quality not that great.
    She is a lovely calf and will be worth some money in time if you sell her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A friesian cow calved a angus bull calf on Friday morning. OH put iodine on its navel and the calf was up sucking in half an hour. I noticed a fair few spots of blood in its dung a few minutes ago. The calf is otherwise healthy, sucking and doesn't have a temperature. Does it have a problem scour coming on?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I takes a few days for things to be normal after being born. If it's not sick and dung was OK otherwise I wouldn't worry

Better pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Better pic.

Great timber under her, as they say around here.........

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Great timber under her, as they say around here.........

The cow made good work to calve her, that's a fine calf and hopefully a cow maker for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Any of ye plagued with Crypto scour this year? Past 4 weeks have been rough. Never experienced anything like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Better pic.

She'll be one for gort

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Toplink wrote: »
    Any of ye plagued with Crypto scour this year? Past 4 weeks have been rough. Never experienced anything like it before.

Touch wood. None here this year yet. Hope I don't jinx it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Touch wood. None here this year yet. Hope I don't jinx it

The mild spring brought allot of problems
    Like to move calving to January to avoid Crypto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Sami23

The mild spring brought allot of problems
    Like to move calving to January to avoid Crypto

Why is that - is it related to air temperature ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sami23 wrote: »
    Why is that - is it related to air temperature ?

With the mild spring, good quality first cut silage from last year Vets were busy around here with sections and crypto
    We’d a bit this year for the first time in a good while
    A friend was telling me he gives every March & April born calves halacur and had done for years but doesn’t to the Christmas calves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

With the mild spring, good quality first cut silage from last year Vets were busy around here with sections and crypto
    We’d a bit this year for the first time in a good while
    A friend was telling me he gives every March & April born calves halacur and had done for years but doesn’t to the Christmas calves

We had it with a f*** of a drop calf we bought in. Two others got a mild lick of it but we had the halacur right away with them. This all happened in autumn and obviously the pens were thoroughly cleaned but yea some of the later calves were a bit dopey so they got the halacur too and it tightened them up.

Another 1 waiting for me this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Caught a yearling heifer sucking an incalf heifer who’s about 8 weeks from calving. Brought her in, milk in all 4 quarters.
    What’s the best thing I can do for her to ensure she doesn’t lose any quarters?
    Milk her out, tube her and seal her? Or don’t milk at all?
    Leave her be?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

If an in-calf cow is being sucked prior to calving how does this affect her? Does it have an effect on the calving date?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If a cow is being sucked prior to calving how does this affect her? Does it have an effect on the calving date?

Her colostrum will be useless. Have surplus colostrum ready for her calf.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Another 1 waiting for me this morning :D

Lovely animal. Heifer???

RD10 wrote: »
    Lovely animal. Heifer???

Ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Ya.

Is there much shorthorn breeding in the mother?

tanko wrote: »
    Is there much shorthorn breeding in the mother?

Not much, mother is a lim out of a ch x sh cow.

Bought a few bags of Rolled Oats in local co op today for a couple of late calves to feed with minerals. But when I opened the bag the oats don't seem to be rolled at all. Seem to be full oats.
    Just wondering does this make much difference for feeding to the cows.
    Cows on hay also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bought a few bags of Rolled Oats in local co op today for a couple of late calves to feed with minerals. But when I opened the bag the oats don't seem to be rolled at all. Seem to be full oats.
    Cows on hay also.

They'll pass straight through. They'd be fine for sheep but need to be rolled for cattle.

Cows on hay also.

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anyone

If it say's Rolled oats on the bag, then that's what should be in the bag. Check with wherever you bought it and get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I do feed rolled oats to the bucket fed calves (an old man told me it helps stop them getting the belly bucket fed calves can get and I think it works) but the stuff you buy can sometimes seem to be poorly rolled it more like its chopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Cows on hay also.

Can you not take them back? Has the bag been mislabelled or was the wrong bag picked up?

Advertisement