Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭squinn2912

RD10 wrote: »
    Cow with the bit of a prolapse calved this eve.
    CH bull calf, coming backwards.
    She had room so pulled him without it being too traumatic on man and beast thank god.

Great stuff you’ll be a bit more relaxed now. I don’t think it does them much harm but it’s hard to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭High bike

Got a surprise on the slats today,a nice little Knell bull from a first time calver did it all herself 25 Mt's old and only 280 days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

It's great when things work out well like that, is the heifer an Aubrac X Friesian?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

My big girl is up, water bag out nearly 2 hours. No toes yet. Put hand in a good bit,skinny legs and head coming alright. Give her another while to show the legs yet.
    Fingers crossed

tanko wrote: »
    It's great when things work out well like that, is the heifer an Aubrac X Friesian?
    was worried as she looked very big had her on hay and a pre calver for the last month.You got it half right Aubracx Ch and seems to have a nice drop of milk.Have 2 more due to Knell in the next couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

tellmeabit wrote: »
    My big girl is up, water bag out nearly 2 hours. No toes yet. Put hand in a good bit,skinny legs and head coming alright. Give her another while to show the legs yet.
    Fingers crossed

Whats d chain on the neck for????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

All calved for 2021, brought last one in today as slow to progress, calved alright but turned a bit nasty after. when calf went to suck gave her big bucket of ration and dairy nuts , knelt behind her where she couldn't see me and helped calf to suck. didnt want to chance him not getting milk on his own. All red calves this year ( never before ) even though have some black lim X lim xfr and lim x aa x fr cows. No vet No scour 1 use of jack , shur might go again for 2022

All calved for 2021, brought last one in today as slow to progress, calved alright but turned a bit nasty after. when calf went to suck gave her big bucket of ration and dairy nuts , knelt behind her where she couldn't see me and helped calf to suck. didnt want to chance him not getting milk on his own. All red calves this year ( never before ) even though have some black lim X lim xfr and lim x aa x fr cows. No vet No scour 1 use of jack , shur might go again for 2022
    if only every year was like that

Whats d chain on the neck for????

If I need to the her up to the h iron to handle or jack. Can get awkward when they throw themselves down sometimes.

Like this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That chain is a good idea. Handy to get a quick grip on them, if they start acting up.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

They normally quite enough but have 2 that can loose it for the 1st few hours. Handy to get a calf sucking too, besides strugling with cow and calf at same time. When you don't have an awesome set up, make the best of what u gots

Lil heifer calf. Bb5223. Was defo expecting bigger.
    Pushed her out as quick as flash once toes showed.
    Up and sucking.
    Still watching out for a 2nd but doesn't look like it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    SA Highfield Odhran bull calf out of an AA xSA heifer. She needed a good pull - very tight around the rear end - but once the head came we were fine. a little too much condition on her I’d say but making a great bag of milk. He came a lovely red colour when he dried out so happy out!

Question for ye lads that calf outdoors like this one that needed a pull.
    How do ye get ropes/jack on the cow in the middle of a field or even get her to stand quiet while your at it ?

I know it sounds a stupid question but just wondering as sometimes I struggle to get the odd one of mine onto the calving gate :)

Bucket of meal and then into the shed if that doesn't work. Trying to calve them all inside this year. Normally when they have started they would let you help but always 1 or 2

Sami23 wrote: »
    How do ye get ropes/jack on the cow in the middle of a field or even get her to stand quiet while your at it ?

I know it sounds a stupid question but just wondering as sometimes I struggle to get the odd one of mine onto the calving gate :)

I calve them in a small paddock right beside the shed. Ideal in fine weather and when they calf away on their own.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Calving paddock is beside the yard. If they won't stand I just run thrm into the crush. Had 3 calved this morning. One who was too nosey to push, one calved herself and another I had to pull as it was a big calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

Try to calve as many outside as possible, If they're calving a while and not making progress they seem to not move around too much ( esp if water bag has burst on ground ). If you get the calving jack ropes on and pull by hand they try to push with you. Now having said that from knowing the cows there is 2 i put in a day or two before calving as they be wicked from the moment the calf drops.

Up and sucking.

Would a calf go through them bars onto slats?

Ya they could the first few days, but normally try keep cows out back for day or 2 of wet or cold. Straight out if I can at all. They have a creep gate to allow them in one bay.
    I may leave rest of those calved out today. Have couple to dehorm before letting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Up and sucking.

Is he gray

Is he gray

You tell me. Think so. Seems a tingle of red around the head at the mo.
    Can I say she is roan?
    I will admit I'm a little puzzled by the size and lack of muscle really. Having seen another calf from same bull in neighbours farm and knowing this cows history. I will say I'm delighted she calved on own and didn't have any drama. Another cow was bulled same bull and same time is still holding on. Will see what they are like.

Going to put them out in the morning and see what she like in daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

2nd calver popped this lad out in an hour this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Dozer1 wrote: »

fine calf, worth holding onto that cow

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Calving season 2021 concluded here today - a little angus heifer off a first calver to keep the father happy who would have them all calving to Angus if he could. Our only black calf of the year. I would estimate 70% calved between 6am and midnight. The last 4 calvings have been daylight hours. Done in a little over 7 weeks with 100% AI. Could have been tighter only for the last 2 repeating. My calf pens are well packed tonight. Loved this thread all Spring - enjoy reading all your calving expeditions! Now all I need is a bit of sleep, rainfall, and we’ll be rolling!

Dozer1 wrote: »

Is that cow quiet? She has the head of a very quiet cow. :D

This heifer just calved this sim bull calf. Bit of a pull would’ve been handy except she went down I thought the game was up but no got him out when she lay out again

Two in one kinda night & another side door job heifer wee bit small and very muscly but 2 living bull calves isn’t a bad nights work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How much does a section cost?

Advertisement