Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I do feed rolled oats to the bucket fed calves (an old man told me it helps stop them getting the belly bucket fed calves can get and I think it works) but the stuff you buy can sometimes seem to be poorly rolled it more like its chopped.

Does straw not do the same thing really for the belly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Sami23

If it say's Rolled oats on the bag, then that's what should be in the bag. Check with wherever you bought it and get a replacement.

I wouldn't mind bringing it back at all but if it did the same job as the rolled stuff would just save me the bother.

Would it make much difference to the cows I wonder

Can you not take them back? Has the bag been mislabelled or was the wrong bag picked up?

It says Rolled Oats on the bags alright and the pallet was nearly empty so nobody must have complained about them before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Oats do not crush the same as barley, they look intact after the rolling. Also there isn't as much "flour" in the oat as barley, more chaff which is good for a calf /pony/in-calf cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Reggie. wrote: »
    Does straw not do the same thing really for the belly

Straw does but I didn't find it as good the year I fed it, I am happier with the results from the oats plus it help bulk up the meal and gets the calves eating meal quicker.

• Advertisement

Oats do not crush the same as barley, they look intact after the rolling. Also there isn't as much "flour" in the oat as barley, more chaff which is good for a calf /pony/in-calf cow.

That's it there

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

My cow that calved a week ago is sick, developed mastitis in a quarter. I was drawing on it as calf woudont have been able to drink the amount of milk she was producing. After couple days got another calf on her once a day to drink. Was then sick looking sick and found the mastitis. Was drawing it, she is on way 3 of shots from vet and tubes. Has appetite again, but seems a bit wobbly today producing froth when chewing and her dug is well back on what she should do. Anyone come across before. Was wondering would it be milk fever maybe.? Will be in touch with vet tomorro. She was to go out to grass tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What does the mastitis look like? Have you given her anti inflammatories? If it was watery it could be e coli and would make the cow sick. I'd say get the vet out as fluids is the main thing with e.coli, intravenous treatment as well if she is sick with it

Ya it was watery alright, Not much coming today from any pap, will lock calf away from her on the morning. For few hours. Calf is well able now. she was on 2 bottles. Can't remember name now, they were new to me, maybe Tilmicosin. Will check in morning. Appetite back now alright and stomach filling up.

I'll see how she is in morning again.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

What age is she?

• Advertisement

Maybe 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Not too old so.
    If it's ecoli mastitis that's a horrible ailment, can be difficult to treat. See what your vet thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If it's ecoli you need to strip it out often to get rid of the toxins. Every couple of hours

Ya I was draining it couple times a day. She ok today, still dropping white froth. Bag empty all quarters. The other cow in with her has massive dug so think maybe both calves drinking the 1 cow. Separated this am. Drained 1/4 hardly anything came off white. No temp.
    Will see how she goes during the day with calves away from her. I find the very little milk worrying, but sprayed teats to show me that she is not being milked. Vet a shout in the afternoon

My girl with the DEP inside her has a string of slime 2 foot long hanging off her yesterday and tofay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Ya I was draining it couple times a day. She ok today, still dropping white froth. Bag empty all quarters. The other cow in with her has massive dug so think maybe both calves drinking the 1 cow. Separated this am. Drained 1/4 hardly anything came off white. No temp.
    Will see how she goes during the day with calves away from her. I find the very little milk worrying, but sprayed teats to show me that she is not being milked. Vet a shout in the afternoon

I'd go earlier with the vet, e.coli can kill the cow if it is it

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Sounds like ecoli. You need to get them fast. I had one few years ago like that - very sick - she went dry and never returned back to milk so I bottle reared the calf. Thankfully she recovered and has milk in all4 quarters again. Don’t know how she made it! We were giving her bottles of coffee to get the stomach moving if I recall- passing no dung either. It was misdiagnosed as a displaced stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tellmeabit wrote: »
    My girl with the DEP inside her has a string of slime 2 foot long hanging off her yesterday and tofay

The cervix plug. I reckon 5 days from passing this, they calf. Interesting to see when your one calves.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The cervix plug. I reckon 5 days from passing this, they calf. Interesting to see when your one calves.
    I had a second calver passed the plug on Sunday (wasn't sure what it was) she calved herself last night. I was watching her very tight as I had to take a big heifer calf from her last year.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Sounds like ecoli. You need to get them fast. I had one few years ago like that - very sick - she went dry and never returned back to milk so I bottle reared the calf. Thankfully she recovered and has milk in all4 quarters again. Don’t know how she made it! We were giving her bottles of coffee to get the stomach moving if I recall- passing no dung either. It was misdiagnosed as a displaced stomach.

Oh. The cow herself is grand now again. Eating and drinking away. Finished work now so will check again. The shots she got were tylosin and colvasone

• Advertisement

She is due for the 5th according to munster so report.
    Today is day 274 from server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Last one calved this morning at 7 massive heifer calf everything fine up and licked the calf. Left her to feed others and a few pet lambs, came back calf dead. **** happens will get a foster one this evening. Anyway 30 calves 29 live ones 20 heifers 9 bulls eventually.

Now to relax for a while until silage middle of May. Dont need much this yr as 120 bales left from last year.

Sami23 wrote: »
    That's it there

Well do ye agree it's not rolled

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Something stronger he says and report back Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had one calving earlier. Cleanings coming first which is not a good sign. Handled her and burst the waterbag. Very brown fluid. Calf coming normal. Jacked it out all OK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had one calving earlier. Cleanings coming first which is not a good sign. Handled her and burst the waterbag. Very brown fluid. Calf coming normal. Jacked it out all OK.

Timely intervention.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hard to beat a big strong brute like that doing it all herself. Thought the aggression of her this evening meant sh wouldn’t be too long but I expected middle of the night. Gonna go down shortly and get straw topped up but that’s it. She’d mill ya after calving

Hard to beat a big strong brute like that doing it all herself. Thought the aggression of her this evening meant sh wouldn’t be too long but I expected middle of the night. Gonna go down shortly and get straw topped up but that’s it. She’d mill ya after calving

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Sami23 wrote: »
    Well do ye agree it's not rolled

Is anyone able to answer Sami's question?:confused:

• Advertisement

This lady gave me a bit more work to do and she carried over a bit but lovely long big heifer calf landed with a medium pull

Advertisement