Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The thing I don't get is why Trump is seemingly so attractive to a large percentage of the US population. He's not good looking. He mumbles and is incoherent when he speaks. He clearly isn't a man of the people. He's an obvious and beyond-doubt serial liar. He didn't deliver on campaign promises. His actions during the pandemic cost lives. He lost the House, Senate and White House within 4 years and got impeached twice. He made America a laughing stock on the world stage. Yet, he's still madly popular with Republican voters. What is it about this man that people find so appealing? Genuine question.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Because he owns the libs and tells it like it is.

Supposedly

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trump's SPAC, despite murky finances, plans, minimal revenue goals, has been valued (based on stock price) at something like $11bn.

Revenue projection for the first year is $1million, so that's a P/E of what, 11000? Just insane, and there are going to be some very unhappy investors once the dust settles on this grift. Impressive grift though. Probably P/E is the wrong metric, but valuation to revenue is absurd. This is like the late 90's .com boom only worse, even VA research peaked at 400% over it's IPO price. Was nice to have a few shares back then and I think after a couple months the company, who had no real revenue, was gone.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/14/investing/trump-spac-dwac/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s because he takes no responsibility for his actions, there is always someone else to blame. They like that because they feel that in a changing world they are being left behind and need someone to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

In a world where moral equivocation is now seemingly endless, at least some of his supporters might say, "Yeah, Trump's bad, but he's not as bad as Biden/Hillary/Obama/those crooked Democrats.". That'd be one thing, but despite saying Trump's bad, he's not quite bad enough not to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,094 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This was a good recap of the origins of the steele dossier in this pod

Explains, amongst other things, how the dossier was conflated deliberately by the GOP in order to attack the Mueller report...

Another *checks notes* Trump appointed judge rules against him..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Something I've noticed with the release of all these text messages to/from Mark Meadows.

They are withholding the names of Members of Congress who sent mails , but publishing the names of others.

So we know that Don Jr , Ingraham , Hannity etc. sent texts but for others it's just "Unnamed member of congress" and so on.

Does anyone know why that is exactly , why do they get anonymity but Hannity et al don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Judge McFadden, appointed by then-President Trump, throws out Mr. Trump’s bid to block IRS disclosure of his tax returns to the U.S. House

Must be in the deep state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Trump's accountant, Donald Bender, has been handling Trump Org's taxes and financials for decades. He resisted handing over records - forcing Manhattan DA to go to the Supreme Court.

Today we found out that Bender recently testified about Trump before a Manhattan grand jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,585 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Some, because they have 'win at all costs' political allegiances and are firmly within the Republican fold and so they are fully behind whoever from their party they think is likely to give them the victory they deserve.

Some, simply because they find him entertaining.

Some, because they hate the establishment so much and they have a feeling that they have abandoned by 'the man', 'the system', 'the swamp' or whatever and so when someone comes along and expresses hatred for Washington and what it stands for, they automatically assume that he is for them.

Some because their religious leaders have told them that he is their guy.

Some because they could not care less about anyone who isn't them or directly related to them right now and so whether it be poor people, or immigrants, or future generations, they don't want to have to adjust their behaviours or desires one bit in order to help them and they know Trump won't ask them to.

Many because Fox News has told them to. Saw a tweet earlier that said that Fox knows that if they don't tell their audience that their lead anchors all held Trump responsible for what happened on Jan 6th and that it was a very bad thing, they're never going to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

One explanation I read this morning is that the committee are waiting to see who will issue a pre-emptive denial. McConnell has already issued a denial and others will surely follow. So those who did send the messages will either not issue a denial and reveal it was them by a process of elimination or they will issue a denial and then the committee can then say they are lying.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Seems an odd approach to take.

I was wondering if there was some "Parliamentary Privilege" type of thing involved.

Just go ahead and name them - running out of time to be playing silly buggers with trying to catch these people out in a lie.

Everybody knows they lied already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have to agree. I can somewhat see the reasoning behind it in terms of what ohnonotgmail said (which was my own assumption too) and also possibly so as not to release too many names at once, to allow for people to condemn Fox presenters, Don Jr. etc in one batch and then politicians in another batch whereas all names released at once could cause some to be lost in the mix.

But the clock is ticking and the longer it drags out, the less effective it'll be. Besides which, any politician who does lie about Trump texts and then is proved to be lying.... it's not going to matter to people anyway. Their supporters will continue to support them regardless.

the committee doesn't care about trump supporters. it knows it can't reach them. this is for the benefit of voters in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's certainly true too. I just meant those politicians won't care about being proven to have lied or be hypocritical. Most of the ones who would be trying to engage with Trump directly on Jan 6th would be those who everyone knows are deep with Trump anyway. Voters in the middle are unlikely to be swayed either way as they already know what such politicians are like.

• Advertisement

Tiffany tried ringing Trump Snr, but he didn't answer as he didn't recognise the number...

It really does say a lot about the family dynamics that his son didn't feel like he could call his father directly about this

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I think the reason why Trump has been let off the hook, on so many illegal acts, is because there are about 20 million of his supporters who advocate civil war to keep him in power.

The Republicans are terrified of him - a bit like being a neighbour of Tony Soprano's. They know that he can, with a word, threaten them and their families. They have created the monster, and now he has control over their lives.

The Democrats also fear him; and their concerns are the prospect of civil war. I'd wager that the vast majority of Trump's brigades are owners of multiple firearms etc. The US armed forces in total are just over 2 million with about 1.4 million of them on active duty. Trump would have no compulsion about calling his many millions of Trumpists to arms. It is a dreadful prospect, but a plausible one.

The only way that the US would be safe from him is that if he dies before 2024.

Joe Biden said during one of the presidential debates that Donald Trump shouldn't remain President of the US because of how many covid deaths there were under his watch (220,000 at the time). But there have been far more deaths under Biden. So should Biden hold himself to his own standard and resign? The issue isn't what Trump did wrong, or what Biden did wrong, it's a simple yes or no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That would indeed be the cleanest "out" and I'd say the majority of the GOP wouldn't be sorry either. It'd have to happen in public though, because otherwise the conspiracy theories about him being bumped off by the Clintons/Biden/Democrats would overwhelm the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

No matter what those theories will happen. No matter how long he lives for. That support won't accept that the perfect specimen of man could die and many have decided he is the perfect man. The only exception would be if he died in power having named his successor.

The GOP would love it since they could invoke his name without Trump saying something new and stupid and hold him up as a martyr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Republicans are terrified of him 

I'm not as quick to give them a pass. They created the monster through wanting his 74M voters to stay onside, but more so for future elections as because he would incite violence.

The Republican party big hitters could easily have denounced his undermining of democratic elections and appeared as being staunch supporters of the constitution, which would have appealed to these same voters, from November 7th onward last year. But they didn't, they went full in behind him so that there would be no campaign advertisement claiming that they didn't.

I actually believe many Republicans wouldn't mind increased rhetoric about civil war (not saying a significant number actually want to see violence, but talking about it, they'd definitely be ok with that). It would put to bed the argument about the Second Amendment for the rest of their lives, it would embolden their fan base and they'd probably think that it would force congress and the Democrats to be more conciliatory towards them.

History will judge the party and the selfish needs of their key members very harshly if Trump is indeed elected in 2024.

Advertisement