Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Republicans are terrified of him 

I'm not as quick to give them a pass. They created the monster through wanting his 74M voters to stay onside, but more so for future elections as because he would incite violence.

The Republican party big hitters could easily have denounced his undermining of democratic elections and appeared as being staunch supporters of the constitution, which would have appealed to these same voters, from November 7th onward last year. But they didn't, they went full in behind him so that there would be no campaign advertisement claiming that they didn't.

I actually believe many Republicans wouldn't mind increased rhetoric about civil war (not saying a significant number actually want to see violence, but talking about it, they'd definitely be ok with that). It would put to bed the argument about the Second Amendment for the rest of their lives, it would embolden their fan base and they'd probably think that it would force congress and the Democrats to be more conciliatory towards them.

History will judge the party and the selfish needs of their key members very harshly if Trump is indeed elected in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

If Trump gets elected in 2024 the only people the democrats will have to blame are themselves. They'd an overwhelming majority of actual votes in 2024, they should not find themselves in a situation were these get lost to the very person who didn't get them the first time.

And I don't think they will. I can't see Trump winning in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Yes I agree that the Dems are the majority party; however, unless they can pass the voting rights bill it won't matter.

The electoral college may very well be changed with the swing states electors supplanted by Trump supporters. It is already happening in Georgia and five or six other states; with Trump supporters using a scheme whereby they can legally use their majority Republican representations to replace the more reasonable electors. Perdue, who's running for governor in Georgia, stated that he would install Trump, if the same thing were to happen in 2024 as in 2020.

The secretary of state for Georgia, Raffensberger, whom Trump has vilified, also said that the will vote for Trump if he runs in 2024.

If America was a true democracy people like Trump, or even G.W. Bush, would not have become presidents.

The electoral college will never be decommissioned, and the Senate filibuster will not change. For instance, California with 40 million people has two senators and 15 Republican leaning states with a similar population has 30 senators. That is the problem. It is not a country of the people for the people, by the people, as they so often state.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't think it's any secret that people like McConnell would love to see the back of Donald Trump.

Beyond the MTG/Gosar/Gaetz et al fringe most of the GOP would be perfectly happy to see him gone but they are far too chicken to do it themselves.

They are terrified of getting Primaried by a MAGA supporting Candidate.

The ideal scenario for them is for Trump to get "taken out" by one of the many legal proceedings he is currently embroiled in - whether that's the House investigation or any of the NY cases. I suspect they'd prefer if it was New York that did it as they'd be able to get away "clean" from that one whereas the blow-back from a conviction from the congressional investigation might to them quite a bit of damage.

That way , they can still keep the MAGA crowd onside by leaning heavily into the "Trump is a victim of the Deep-State" blah blah blah.

They are caught between their Cowardice and their Avarice for power.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t think it’s any secret that people like McConnell would love to see the back of Donald Trump.

well given his reaction when asked whether he was one of the republicans who tested mark meadows he sounded like he was getting the popcorn ready, because he said he wasn’t but he’s interested to see who did, which if he was playing the Trump party line he’d use the trump bingo card and claim witch-hunt. As McConnell said in the aftermath of the attack on January 6th(which many GOP members felt it was in private) Donald Trump is not out of legal trouble. The GOP want the out of Trump being removed from possible reelection by something or someone other than themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's no point even talking if American states start that kind of carry-on. It's pretty much saying you've no faith in the democratic systems of the USA and are attempting to force your guy into office, which is simply autocracy, and that's the makings for either the country splitting or going to war with itself. It would just be an untenable situation.

Do you pay attention to what is actually happening on the ground in US politics at all?

The GOP is putting all its efforts to prepare county election boards and state certifying authorities to be in place to influence how the next Presidential election is going to play out.

Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 8M last time out, even with that, a swing of only a couple hundred thousand votes in key states would have been enough to return him. That is what the GOP is focused on. Ensuring the margins are controllable by them in the swing states.

It likely will have nothing to do with a significant number of people switching from having voted for Biden to voting for Trump. I'd say the number of people who would actually do this are likely to be in the small thousands given Trumps behaviour since he lost the election. Why would they? Biden has been professional, has passed progressive Bills and has gone on with a fraction of 1% of the BS we saw from Trump. But in 2024, not everyone might be able to vote as they did in 2020 if the GOP get their way and that should concern people.

And if he wins, the Dems will only have themselves to blame. Nothing you have aid changes that.

So, if the Republicans break the law to inhibit voting, or the certification of votes, its' the Democrats fault?

Your logic doesn't surprise me, it follows the conservative mantra of 'accuse others of that which you are guilty' to the letter.

Do you think I'm a conservative?

The 24 pres. election cycle hasn't even begun and you are already proclaiming election fraud. At least Trump lost before he started really banging that drum. As I've said before, both sides as deluded as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Explain the phrase gerrymandering, and give us a current example

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

NEW: Jim Jordan’s office confirms he sent text message to Mark Meadows on Jan 6 saying that VP Pence should "call out all electoral votes that he believes are unconstitutional as no electoral votes at all."

Voting fraud uncovered in 2020 election.

'Accuse others of that which you are guilty'.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Teenage Donald Trump attended and boarded at the very expensive New York Military Academy 1959-1964 for his high school education. They did a lot of precision marching and drills daily for the years Trump attended. I find it hard to believe that Trump marched daily with his so-called heel spurs, especially when you step on your heels when drilling.

Furthermore, Swannie cannot recall Trump complaining about having to march with heel spurs when bragging about his prep school experience during an interview (after one of his John McCain lambasts).

Now Swannie awaits a Kellyanne Conway like “alternative facts” defense for Donald Trump. 😱

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You know there are such things as a stupid question? This wasn’t one until you demanded a yes or no answer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not a simple yes or no answer. It should be larger, more complex questions and answers here regarding the Covid pandemic and its unforeseen evolving variations.

Then again, if we want to toss numbers about, among all the non scientific debate political rhetoric, how about the Trump statement at one of his early 2000 rallies where he claimed there were only 15 cases in the US and soon it would be zero? “That’s a pretty good job we’ve done,” said Trump. One year later there were millions of cases and over 510,000 deaths in America. For Trump’s last year in office, is that “a pretty good job?” Is this “A simple yes or no question?”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,104 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"At least Trump lost before he started really banging that drum."

If you were paying attention in 2016 you'll know that statement is a lie.

"As I've said before, both sides as deluded as each other."

Aaaasand another lie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Trump repeatedly said the only way he’d lose is if the election was rigged. That poster your replying to has a very short memory

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The 24 pres. election cycle hasn't even begun and you are already proclaiming election fraud. At least Trump lost before he started really banging that drum

• Advertisement

There are many Trump quotes, several on vid, where Trump claims the only way he would lose a 2016 Republican state primary or 2016 Presidential election Is if there was election fraud. Try googling Trump and 2016 election and fraud or rigged or other election fraud key words. Just 3 examples among many links from many sources. Got these and many more in seconds.

At a Pennsylvania August 2016 rally, Trump claimed that the only way he could lose the state is “if cheating is going on” (CBS News 17 October 2016).

During the Republican 2016 primary election in Iowa when Trump lost to Ted Cruz, Trump claimed he lost because Ted Cruz “stole it” (ABC News, 11 November 2020).

Trump says “election rigged at polling places” (BBC News, 17 October 2016).

Of course, after winning in 2016 Trump was as quiet as a church mouse about 2016 election fraud. Ever ask yourself why?

Oops, my bad so. He was saying it from the get go. So the Dems are nearly as bad as Trump when it comes to banging the election fraud drum, they're only around 12 months better.

Except he was trying to steal the election. Did you notice he was impeachment? Did you miss that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s the grown up version of when we used to ask other kids if they had told their mothers they were gay, yet? Clever from kids but somehow in a political debate it seems moronic.

No, I've previously commented on Trumps actions. Doesn't change the fact that (elements) of the democrats are looking to get their excuses in early, by proclaiming election fraud.

So, you went from saying the Democrats were as bad as Trump, to saying they were nearly as bad as Trump, so saying that some of the Democrats are getting their excuses in early.

Nope, My first post was suggesting the democrats and Republicans were as bad as each other, not Trump specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Is Biden claiming there will be fraud, do you think the democrats will attempt a coup, cause an insurrection and refuse to accept defeat?

Trump goes way back before the pre-2016 election fraud claims. He claimed that the 2012 presidential where Obama defeated Romney a “total sham” election (CNN 20 October 2016, in an article titled: Sound Familiar? Trump called 2012 vote a total sham). Was Trump role playing for 2016?

How about Trump’s birtherism conspiracy theory claims that went on for 5 or more years in his attempt to disqualify Obama’s election and re-election, thereby claiming the 2008 and 2012 Presidential elections were fraudulent? Swannie just loved the Hawaiians that stood with signs stating WELCOME TO KENYA when Trump first landed in Hawaii after becoming president (Independent.co.uk 4 November 2017).

• Advertisement

Nope, but again, my point was not specific to Trump. But to Republicans and democrats in general.

Advertisement