Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

flazio wrote: »
    It's been nearly a week now, how come none of the right wing news channels have gotten an interview with him yet? This has been the quietest he's ever been.

That's a fair point. Could be for a number of reasons.
    1. He's not capable of not going completely off script and they are worried about getting sued.
    2. They're worried he would incriminate himself further before the senate trial.
    3. He has rejected them and is going to form his own platform.
    4. They can keep saying that Twitter silenced him while he is off air.

My guess is a combination of 1 and 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's been nearly a week now, how come none of the right wing news channels have gotten an interview with him yet? This has been the quietest he's ever been.

He's nearly a billion dollars in debt and hasn't the protection of the presidency any more. I'd say he has bigger problems.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1353746930392854528?s=19

I'm sure Dominion are trembling in their boots

At last, Rudy Giuliani will be able to present all that great, smoking-gun evidence he and his ilk have been alleging since November...

I expect him to try and fight the case on the basis of legal technicality and precedent, and various arguments as to why Dominion shouldn't be allowed to sue him, none of them regarding any actual evidence that Dominion machines were crooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

****ing incredible

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1354166318107250688?s=20

Genuinely, wtf does a president have to do to be convicted in the Senate?

I would love to know.

If these traitors hold firm, Trump will be swanning around on tax payers' money, while billing the taxpayers for the secret service he will force to stay at his properties.

I repeat... ****ing incredible.

But like..in actual reality he didn't send anyone anywhere to kill anyone..

• Advertisement

In your reality...

In your reality...

And in yours the president sent an army to the capital to kill opposing elected representatives..

Hahaha..

That's nearly worse than the q lads..

Didn't he? Drone bombings increased from Obama and the publication of civilian casualties was stopped under Trump.

He was also the first President to put people to death since Bush in 2003 if we are being literal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And in yours the president sent an army to the capital to kill opposing elected representatives..

Hahaha..

Trial by combat amirite

Hahaha..

There is literal video evidence of this though. Or what do you think people marching through the Capitol calling 'Hang Pence' actually meant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

There is a solid case for impeaching Trump. His caustic rhetoric during the rally on the morning of January 6th contained combative statements. However, his supporters focus their attention on the idea that he said they should protest peacefully and patriotically. Presumably this little tidbit, inserted to absolve himself of blame for the consequences of his rhetoric, will be what those in the Senate will leverage to acquit Trump. However the events of that day did not happen in isolation. Trump had engineered the conditions for that rally by steadfastly refusing to accept defeat in the 2020 election. Social media would not have been whipped into a frenzy about stolen elections had Trump, even after the legal challenges were exhausted, conceded the election. There is no evidence for massive electoral fraud at the scale required but Trump devolved into believing and entertaining baseless conspiracy theories because they were telling him what he wanted to hear. That alone was grounds for invoking the 25th Amendment. You’d like to think the US President is grounded in reality and that facts and reality are their currency.

Those who were telling him what he needed to hear ultimately took to ignoring Trump and in the case of the Attorney General they resigned. If Trump acknowledged and made public his acceptance of defeat he would have tempered his base and thus there would have been no need for a crowd to gather that day. If they did assemble to protest then Trump would not be in anyway responsible for allowing people to express their right to protest. Trump’s continual denials lead to him, in desperation, obsessing over the false notion that Mike Pence had the legal authority to cast aside the 2020 election results, the idea being that once he did this that another election would take place. Bear in mind that constitutional lawyers would have reviewed all of this in detail and presented their findings i.e. Pence’s duty is to the constitution and his counting the votes is a formality. It was the kind of thing authoritarian regimes engage in when “results” didn’t go their way.

If it wasn’t obvious already, we’re beginning to see that Trump is not quite fit for office (or more pressingly, for holding future office). Such legal people advise the President because they are experts in their field and their conclusions hold weight. Trump’s persistence that Pence could stop the steal was what drove protesters to DC. The legal challenges were exhausted and this was a last chance saloon type situation, a situation which Trump poured gasoline on with his “showing strength” rhetoric in his rally speech. The saying “don’t corner a rat” applies. A cornered rat, with no where else to escape, will likely attack. It was this dynamic which drove the protesters to storm the Capitol in lieu of merely protesting. The radical element of that crowd knew that once Pence did his constitutional duty that the fate of Trump’s Presidency was literally sealed. Trump was so eager to have them march on the Capitol that he said he would march with them. He sold them on that idea, that he didn’t follow through was irrelevant because that crowd was sufficiently stoked.

Consider what subsequently happened from a security standpoint. You had a baying mob gaining access to a federal building with both houses in attendance. Chants of “Hang Mike Pence” were prevalent. There aren’t enough resources to protect the building. Needless to say this was an extreme security risk. I think this is why the calls for Trump’s impeachment were so immediate. Trump had incited what ultimately became such a chaotic situation that it went beyond the security control of Capitol police. They were overwhelmed given the resources they had at hand. Needless to say, those in the crowd carrying back packs were not bag checked. A dedicated terrorist, one monitoring the radical Trump supporting social media, could easily have gotten close to elected officials with a pressure cooker bomb or another explosive device. They would know that there would be the likelihood of trouble starting causing a situation they could exploit. They would have slipped through the absent security. That there was even the remotest possibility of anyone placing such a device inside the Capitol building is a solid basis for impeaching Trump. It is a miracle that more people weren’t killed or seriously injured.

I mentioned that GOP senators would focus on him saying peacefully and patriotically but it is what happened after the building was breached and Trump’s actions which is what should have him convicted. The building was breached at 2pm. He was tweeting thereafter about how Mike Pence had essentially failed to stop the steal. It was further incitement. Minutes after that tweet a Capitol Police officer was killed in what had become a riot. Trump’s recorded address poured even more gas on the fire. He said he understood their anger, he said he loved them, he VALIDATED why they were there. He was not explicit and unequivocal in asking his supporters to disperse IMMEDIATELY. In essence, he supported the destruction of federal property, the trespassing on that property, the assault of those tasked with protecting that property and the deaths of those assigned to protecting it. The oath Trump took was to protect the constitution. He has a duty of care in applying it at all times and his subsequent conduct after the riot began was a dereliction of his duty and his oath of office. He engineered it, he incited it and he incited it even further after it began. He should never hold office again and thus there is very much a basis for convicting him for inciting an insurrection.

If he get's acquitted then you can only shake your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,925 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I imagine the Republican leadership will be leaning on him very hard, to STFU. For the Republican Party, post the Donny shîtshow it’s damage limitation... they’ll want a safe pair of hands now... the Republicans have had their reputations damaged as far as a lot of swing voters and indeed the more moderate Republicans go... my cousin voted for Trump because she couldn’t stand Hillary, a lot of people thought him the lesser of two evils but she now doesn’t trust the Republicans so they will probably not see a vote from her during her lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1354062313754669061?s=21

Hillary blamed a movie and they completely lost their ****. It’s naked partisanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Didn't he? Drone bombings increased from Obama and the publication of civilian casualties was stopped under Trump.

He was also the first President to put people to death since Bush in 2003 if we are being literal about it.

more executions in his single term than the previous 60 years or something in that range.

Hahaha..

Sent them to kill "his own" elected representatives... (see Mike Pence). Try keep up.

But there's no point arguing with you. Clearly there's nothing wrong with what he did in your eyes, which is frankly a bonkers view to have.

Sent them to kill "his own" elected representatives... (see Mike Pence). Try keep up.

But there's no point arguing with you. Clearly there's nothing wrong with what he did in your eyes, which is frankly a bonkers view to have.

Dude..he was relying on pence that day to question the states or whatever.. you're ridiculous..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dude..he was relying on pence that day to question the states or whatever.. you're ridiculous..

and Pence had already told him there was nothing he could do to stop the count.

Read a newspaper ffs.

Pence was supposed to stop the certification.

He didn't.

Then trump blamed him.

Then literally moments later, the mob start calling out looking for Pence.

There's footage. Look it up.

So, according to you, the idea that a republican could call for the death of a politician is ridiculous?

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1354175549120376832?s=19

Tbh it looked to me,he reiled em up and sent em off and just didnt care on the consequences

When they entered the building,it become v.obvious they had no plan (a handful of people seemed too),but no meaningful effort was made to barracide it/cause sustained occupation......

It was mostly just severly deluded/brainwashed people just milling about,not knowing what to do next,and lacking the cognative skills to figure it out.....to my eyes anyway

CNN?..

Haha.. ah yeah.. reasonable journalism alright..

They, and a lot of ye, are the opposite side of the same coin as the Q crowd..

• Advertisement

It was mostly just severly deluded/brainwashed people just milling about,not knowing what to do next,and lacking the cognative skills to figure it out.....to my eyes anyway

That's exactly what it was.. they were let in.. the police refused three requests to up security..

Did any of ye see the video of yer man with the horns go into the room where the infamous photos were taken?..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't think he ever would have ran again, even without the capital hill fiasco. One he lost its hard to buy into him again. I mean his defeat in the last election wasnt even that close. It's clear the people of America have had enough of him. The capital hill just finished him off.

That's exactly what it was.. they were let in.. the police refused three requests to up security..

Did any of ye see the video of yer man with the horns go into the room where the infamous photos were taken?..

Tbh other than the immediate day or so after it,on the news,i seen no footage

But it looked to me,they would have overrun the police anyway with the numbers involved even if backup arrived.

A lot of people,who in another era would have been sent to an asylum,are now facing years in jail for dedication to a chancer,who like the queen and royalty around the world,deosnt care about them

CNN?..

Haha.. ah yeah.. reasonable journalism alright..

They, and a lot of ye, are the opposite side of the same coin as the Q crowd..

Brilliant. I didn't even mention CNN and you came out with "fake news"? Lol.

Change up your catchphrase. The last person muttering that was wheeled off and is holed up in a little bunker surrounded by sycophants... well, until the money runs out at least.

Brilliant. I didn't even mention CNN and you came out with "fake news"? Lol.

Change up your catchphrase. The last person muttering that was wheeled off and is holed up in a little bunker surrounded by sycophants... well, until the money runs out at least.

You linked a CNN article..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Comparing CNN to Qanon is an interesting angle

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Comparing CNN to Qanon is an interesting angle

It's the last bastion of q trump defender;

"A pox on both houses".

You linked a CNN article..

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1354174673601368065?s=19

Are Facebook posts fake news too?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Executioner511

He'll probably buy fox news or they will give him his own show which would be hilarious, either way he will keep himself busy with all his business interests across the globe ,I can't see him running again i don't think his ego could cope with the disdain and constant hatred thrown at him from half of Americans and the media some of it he brought on himself some of it he didn't.

• Advertisement

Ok, yeah, granted, q might be a bit out there (I wasn't paying attention..).. but both were irrational to the point of comedy over the last while..like.. were CNN covering trump in a balanced fashion?..Tbh I think the whole q thing was a psy op to completely de-legitimise his support..

I formed my opinions on Trump based on his actions, his words, his behaviour, his tweets, his confidants, his record.

I've probably watched a total of 10 hours of CNN programmes in the last 5 years and have definitely watched more Fox than any other 'MSM' as you guys like to call it.

Never before has so much of a Presidents words and thoughts been broadcast live. It's time to stop blaming the news stations for broadcasting the crazy actions and words of someone who was unfit for the office.

Advertisement