Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭timmyntc

gozunda wrote: »
    Erm for the simple reason - Ireland is a country. The UK is a country. And yes the UK is a country the last time I checked.

If you like you could compare Europe with the Americas - if you want to do regions.

And no I'm not implying a direct correlation eitherway. But what we do know is that looking at countries overall - those countries with restrictions tend to have lower death rates. What else comes into playy? I don't really know. It doesn't seem to be population density either.

The US is a union of states. States are largely autonomous - including in their covid response. So its a totally valid comparison to compare select US states with select other Countries.

Restrictions in Texas are decided by Texas state government. Restrictions in New York are decided by NY state government. And restrictions in Ireland are decided by NPHET the Irish government.

See the similarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have a strange feeling Gozunda isnt happy with ANY relaxation of restrictions.

But please correct me if I am wrong. :pac:

Goz - you gonna play some golf later in the month?

Why the personal stuff Lemon? Its simply a discussion.

But yes I will be delighted when restrictions are rolled back. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be tbh.

timmyntc wrote: »
    The US is a union of states. States are largely autonomous - including in their covid response. So its a totally valid comparison to compare select US states with select other Countries.

Restrictions in Texas are decided by Texas state government. Restrictions in New York are decided by NY state government. And restrictions in Ireland are decided by NPHET the Irish government.

See the similarity?

No.

It remains the US is a single country. Germany also has restrictions decided upon by regional authorities. But I'm not going to endlessly chop it up just to try and to muddy the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

those countries with consistent restrictions tend to have lower death rates.

And you certainly don't get any more consistent than Ireland, all lockdown all the time, stay in lockdown to avoid lockdown, no need for ideas when you have lockdown, its lockdown all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I just love when covid deniers / skeptics go to grest lengths and endless trouble to try and disprove what is already known.

It doesn't wash I'm afraid.

We are Covid deniers/skeptics now because be we don’t agree with our country being subjected to the longest and harshest lockdown in the EU?

Wow.

• Advertisement

No.

It remains the US is a single country. Germany also has restrictions decided upon by regional authorities. But I'm not going to endlessly chop it up just to try and to muddy the facts.

Thats exactly what you're doing - you cant accept that you are wrong so you cling to some technicality like the definition of a country.
    Most American states have population even greater than Ireland and several EU countries - and they have autonomy in decision making. There is no reason not to compare US states with EU countries other than gozunda doesnt like the outcome.

It sums up your posting on this thread very well - absolute denial of facts to protect your fragile worldview.

Lundstram wrote: »
    We are Covid deniers/skeptics now because be we don’t agree with our country being subjected to the longest and harshest lockdown in the EU?

Wow.

Nice try Lundstram. But no - some are skeptics/ deniers because of the endless 'but but but' arguments endlessly repeated when the facts are presented why restrictions do work.

But no according to some- Ireland is the absolute worstest in Europe. Terrible bad so we are. :rolleyes:

Are you a skeptic / denier Lundstram? Do you believe that we shouldn't have restrictions at all or we should just use restrictions lite?

And no one I know likes restrictions but they do seem to work oddly enough

The bit Gingernlemon left out from their link which started this discussion btw.
    However, in stating the above, Ireland has faired relatively well in terms of COVID-19 death per million in Europe so maybe the restrictions have worked

Nice try Lundstram. But no - some are skeptics/ deniers because of the endless but but but arguments endlessly repeated when the facts are presented why restrictions do work l.

But no Ireland is the absolute worstest in Europe. Terrible bad so we are. :rolleyes:

Are you a skeptic / denier Lundstram? Do you believe that we shouldn't have restrictions at all or we should just use restrictions lite?

And no none I know likes restrictions but they do seem to work oddly enough

Quote]However, in stating the above, Ireland has faired relatively well in terms of COVID-19 death per million in Europe so maybe the restrictions have worked
    [/quote]

I’m neither. I’m a realist. Are restrictions needed? Of course some are. Is a level 5 needed right now? No it’s not. Not by a long way.

Should be level 3 in April, 2 in June and 1 in August. All restrictions removed once all over 50s have been vaccinated with both doses.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Thats exactly what you're doing - you cant accept that you are wrong so you cling to some technicality like the definition of a country . Most American states have population even greater than Ireland and several EU countries - and they have autonomy in decision making. There is no reason not to compare US states with EU countries other than gozunda doesnt like the outcome.It sums up your posting on this thread very well - absolute denial of facts to protect your fragile worldview.

Lol. Countries are a "technicality"?

Now that is the funniest thing I've heard all year. Well done :D

But no definitely not me denying "facts" such as the the existence of countries or the fact that countries globally are used as a standard by which data is analysed etc.

Don’t know what to make of this. Is it enough?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376871807010152456?s=21

• Advertisement

Lol. Countries are a "technicality"?

Now that is the funniest thing I've heard all year. Well done :D

But no definitely not me denying "facts" such as the the existence of countries or the fact that countries globally are used as a standard by which data is analysed etc.

:rolleyes:
    Countries are often used for comparison as most countries comprise one autonomous region with a large enough population/economy to be statistically significant. However most US states would also fit that definition - definitely in terms of Covid restrictions given their full autonomy on restrictions they implement(or dont).

So given all that - why do you think its invalid to compare US states to Ireland? Other than the US states not having the "is a country" box ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Why the personal stuff Lemon? Its simply a discussion.

But yes I will be delighted when restrictions are rolled back. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be tbh.

You didnt answer my question.

Very disappointing. My posts are 4, sometimes 5 times shorter than your doom mongering from Parisian region, least you can do is answer 2 questions I've asked. :(

Warnings
    The Cabinet Committee on Covid-19 were given dire warnings last night from Nphet and the HSE about the transmission of the virus and the impact it will have on the health service.

With the rate of daily cases remaining stubbornly high, it urged against easing of restrictions over the next four to eight weeks as it could jeopardise progress made in controlling the virus.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/restriction-changes-and-dates-everything-we-know-ahead-of-taoiseachs-lockdown-address-40255768.html

Single issue zealots.

Fk all as expected. Lol travel in your county? people been doing that for months. Golf and Tennis? FFS get the hell outta here.

Goz - round of golf end of the month? :pac:

PS

Another source at the meeting said Nphet urged ministers to “hold firm”.

Pathetic shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Warnings
    The Cabinet Committee on Covid-19 were given dire warnings last night from Nphet and the HSE about the transmission of the virus and the impact it will have on the health service.

With the rate of daily cases remaining stubbornly high, it urged against easing of restrictions over the next four to eight weeks as it could jeopardise progress made in controlling the virus.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/restriction-changes-and-dates-everything-we-know-ahead-of-taoiseachs-lockdown-address-40255768.html

Single issue zealots.

Fk all as expected. Lol travel in your county? people been doing that for months. Golf and Tennis? FFS get the hell outta here.

Goz - round of golf end of the month? :pac:

PS

Another source at the meeting said Nphet urged ministers to “hold firm”.

Pathetic shambles.

**** the mortgage, the car loan, and putting food on the table for the wife and kids. We can go golfing instead.

You didnt answer my question. Very disappointing. My posts are 4, sometimes 5 times shorter than your doom mongering from Parisian region, least you can do is answer 2 questions I've asked. :(

Your comments are often both extraneous and involve large amounts of hyperbole tbf. "Zealots" etc etc

I take it you mean this
    I have a strange feeling Gozunda isnt happy with ANY relaxation of restrictions.

But please correct me if I am wrong. :pac:

Goz - you gonna play some golf later in the month?

Oh but I did. And I asked what was with the personal stuff?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116738850&postcount=9215

OK again

A. Yes you're wrong.
    B. See above.

I am so angry. I AM FUMING.

Country is going to bits. 25% of workforce on life support from social welfare dept. Been told to hold firm for over a year now. Longest, harshest lockdown in EU. One of the younger populations in entire EU.

Whats the point of travelling anywhere in your county if 80% + of places are closed.

Golf, tennis? Seriously like.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭purplefields

Don’t know what to make of this. Is it enough?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376871807010152456?s=21

I hate to say it, but that's probably too much, too quickly.
    I would be very nervous if I had kids in Secondary school that have not gone back yet.

Each one of these relaxations will add to the R number. We all know by now that cases rise exponentially according to R number.

With only a portion vaccinated, a perfect breeding ground for vaccine-resistant new variants. All because people want restrictions relaxed.

Barbers/hairdressers should’ve opened in April. Appointment only. They were fantastic when given the chance and everyone says that. People are getting their haircut on the sly now so why not do it officially? Surely that gives them some control over it.

Them and the hospitality sector have been treated appallingly during all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,814 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This listening to unelected lockdown fetishists must stop.
    Rollout the vaccine. Open up.

We're starting to see the severe limitations of medical licencing and testing.

It now looks like some of the 2-dose vaccines have a higher effect after 1 dose than the J&J 1 dose. Unfortunately to take advantage of this would probably take til near the end of the year because of their taking their time to up production.
    The timing of the 2nd dose being treated as something hard and set it also unnecessary. I trials there's guesswork and "good enough" is usually the result, though they wouldn't agree with that. :pac: Unless you got such a huge sample to break it down into 4-6 different gaps, then all of them by gender, age and weight then you're not going to get the "perfect" gap. With the numbers involved (and background level of infection) it only takes a difference of a couple to make the headline numbers very different.

Aaanyway, we're seeing the vaccines work, we're seeing they cut transmissibility massively (sorry guy who couldn't help but post that they don't stop the spread incessantly), the sun is out, let's ****ing get re-opening and yeah, deal with the cases we'll have.

Oh, and it would be nice if they could hurry the **** up with the vaccines. Increase the gap if necessary because Jesus just hurry up.

• Advertisement

Taken from another thread.

Ireland 12th April:

- Travel anywhere within county
    - Home building to resume

United Kingdom 12th April:

- All retail outlets will open
    - Pubs, restaurants and cafes
    - Gyms and other indoor leisure
    - Hairdressers and other personal care businesses
    - Self-contained holiday accommodation, like cottages (Easter holidays allowed in UK)
    - Outdoor attractions like zoos and theme parks
    - Libraries and community centres

YEAH WE ARE GOING TOO QUICK. CHILDREN ARE NOT BACK IN SCHOOL YET :rolleyes:

THE R NUMBER

WAT THE FK IS GOING ON HERE

I am officially enraged. For the undetermined period of time.

Barbers/hairdressers should’ve opened in April. Appointment only. They were fantastic when given the chance and everyone says that. People are getting their haircut on the sly now so why not do it officially? Surely that gives them some control over it.

Them and the hospitality sector have been treated appallingly during all this.

They shouldve never closed.

Thats the issue with how bad things are.... we look for excuses to reopen things when in reality we shouldve never allowed this cowardly group of imbeciles to close them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Taken from another thread.

Ireland 12th April:

- Travel anywhere within county
    - Home building to resume

United Kingdom 12th April:

- All retail outlets will open
    - Pubs, restaurants and cafes
    - Gyms and other indoor leisure
    - Hairdressers and other personal care businesses
    - Self-contained holiday accommodation, like cottages (Easter holidays allowed in UK)
    - Outdoor attractions like zoos and theme parks
    - Libraries and community centres

YEAH WE ARE GOING TOO QUICK. CHILDREN ARE NOT BACK IN SCHOOL YET :rolleyes:

THE R NUMBER

WAT THE FK IS GOING ON HERE

I am officially enraged. For the undetermined period of time.

Not exactly a fair comparison. The UK are well ahead on vaccinations. It would be more appropriate to compare when the UK had the same percentage of their population vaccinated as we do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

A couple of headlines 4 weeks ago stating that we are number 1 for lockdowns in the EU and number 4 worldwide, longer than Italy who were is a very bad state and have a older population of 90m people, we are an island of 5m. Then another headline recently saying we have had the lowest number of people admitted to ICUs in the EU, I dont get it. Restrictions are being lifted throughout Europe, FFS concerts of up to 5,000 people in Spain. Are we paying for having an atrocious health care system? Are they afraid that the virus will expose decades of neglect in health care? I dont understand it, have they made a balls of the vaccinations?

Intercounty GAA returning before underage GAA is a weird one.

As a Kildare supporter, I’m totally against it returning at all.

Ban the Irish soccer team too while ye’re at it.

A couple of headlines 4 weeks ago stating that we are number 1 for lockdowns in the EU and number 4 worldwide, longer than Italy who were is a very bad state and have a older population of 90m people, we are an island of 5m. Then another headline recently saying we have had the lowest number of people admitted to ICUs in the EU, I dont get it. Restrictions are being lifted throughout Europe, FFS concerts of up to 5,000 people in Spain. Are we paying for having an atrocious health care system? Are they afraid that the virus will expose decades of neglect in health care? I dont understand it, have they made a balls of the vaccinations?

concerts with 5000 fans in Spain.

Yeah but their vaccination levels :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a load of shi*e. Open the fkin country like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

We're starting to see the severe limitations of medical licencing and testing.

It now looks like some of the 2-dose vaccines have a higher effect after 1 dose than the J&J 1 dose. Unfortunately to take advantage of this would probably take til near the end of the year because of their taking their time to up production.
    The timing of the 2nd dose being treated as something hard and set it also unnecessary. I trials there's guesswork and "good enough" is usually the result, though they wouldn't agree with that. :pac: Unless you got such a huge sample to break it down into 4-6 different gaps, then all of them by gender, age and weight then you're not going to get the "perfect" gap. With the numbers involved (and background level of infection) it only takes a difference of a couple to make the headline numbers very different.

Aaanyway, we're seeing the vaccines work, we're seeing they cut transmissibility massively (sorry guy who couldn't help but post that they don't stop the spread incessantly), the sun is out, let's ****ing get re-opening and yeah, deal with the cases we'll have.

Oh, and it would be nice if they could hurry the **** up with the vaccines. Increase the gap if necessary because Jesus just hurry up.

At this stage it should really be one dose into as many as possible until all of the vulnerable group is done. Then we can open as they start to get their second, all of the evidence is showing good protection from the first shot. This isn’t the time to look for perfection, there needs to be someone stepping back and making decisions for the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Dickie10

where did someone see concerts with 5000 people in spain? when , ? if thats true thats mad werein level 5 still. thank god for brits and europeans they will drag us kicking and screaming out of this

Multipass wrote: »
    At this stage it should really be one dose into as many as possible until all of the vulnerable group is done. Then we can open as they start to get their second, all of the evidence is showing good protection from the first shot. This isn’t the time to look for perfection, there needs to be someone stepping back and making decisions for the country as a whole.

Exactly. The first dose has been shown to have similar if not better efficacy than what was considered acceptable for the single-dose vaccines. And a choice between having more people at 75% when the alternatives are 95% and 0% it's a fairly easy choice. We've seen it borne out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Dickie10 wrote: »
    where did someone see concerts with 5000 people in spain? when , ? if thats true thats mad werein level 5 still. thank god for brits and europeans they will drag us kicking and screaming out of this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/28/5000-attend-rock-concert-in-barcelona-after-covid-19-screening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement