Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

You'd really wonder about people. Two classes in our school today had unauthorised people try to access teams meetings. Because the teachers had set up a lobby they couldn't access the classes but in all honesty haven't teachers enough to be doing without worrying about strangers trying to access a third year french class or double physics?!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Keeping your break schedule is very important.

ye im on "real lunch" now so I can wait.
    Plus my next class it at 2:10 so I can rest a little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You'd really wonder about people. Two classes in our school today had unauthorised people try to access teams meetings. Because the teachers had set up a lobby they couldn't access the classes but in all honesty haven't teachers enough to be doing without worrying about strangers trying to access a third year french class or double physics?!

I had grandparents in the waiting room the other day. I emailed the relevant parents asking how they somehow had the link, meeting ID and passcode?

Grandparents can't just walk into a classroom so why they think they can just join a maths and english lesson is beyond me. Some people have zero common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

It would be a big challenge for me.

If I were to send my children to creche, financially I would be out of pocket quite a bit as I would have to pay for a preschooler with no ECCE year running at the moment and a school child who would be charged full whack for the week. I was quoted 350e from the creche, that is if they still have spaces when I need them.

Of course, I have full empathy for anyone who is facing these challenges at the minute.

I know Wordress but that's the same as a supermarket worker having to pay someone to mind her children who would normally be at school while she works. I guess if the teachers' predictment brings attention to all the other workers who have been dealing with the same problem all along, that would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

I really hope that they give us some form of a timeline today for a logical and safe return to school. I'd predict that being something along the lines of:

February 1st-5th: Special Schools, SET teachers at primary level, leaving cert

After February Midterm - March 1st: All other primary (I'd prefer this on a staggered basis, but that won't happen).

After Easter: Secondary Schools

However, I don't think we'll be given a long timeline. Just that nothing is happening for the next week.

I miss Joe McHugh. At least he didn't spend his time trying to make himself look like the victim of bold teachers and their pesky unions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I know Wordress but that's the same as a supermarket worker having to pay someone to mind her children who would normally be at school while she works. I guess if the teachers' predictment brings attention to all the other workers who have been dealing with the same problem all along, that would be a good thing.

Did you read my last sentence again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    I really hope that they give us some form of a timeline today for a logical and safe return to school. I'd predict that being something along the lines of:

After February Midterm - March 1st: All other primary (I'd prefer this on a staggered basis, but that won't happen).

However, I don't think we'll be given a long timeline. Just that nothing is happening for the next week.

I miss Joe McHugh. At least he didn't spend his time trying to make himself look like the victim of bold teachers and their pesky unions.

Can't see them giving less than a week's notice for any return. Well I can, but would have hoped they'd have learned their lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,189 ✭✭✭✭km79

PeterPan92 wrote: »

The way they are talking about “further consultations” there will be nobody back before mid term bar maybe special schools at primary level

km79 wrote: »
    The way they are talking about “further consultations” there will be nobody back before mid term bar maybe special schools at primary level

There was one meeting since it all fell apart last Tuesday, that was on Friday. Leo said as much last night that before they announce anything concrete that they need to talk to the relevant people.

I had grandparents in the waiting room the other day. I emailed the relevant parents asking how they somehow had the link, meeting ID and passcode?

Grandparents can't just walk into a classroom so why they think they can just join a maths and english lesson is beyond me. Some people have zero common sense really.

What?! What were they thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I don't really understand the huge push to get 6th years back into all classes, these are students that are effectively college age who can and do work under their own steam, many of which understand the importance of the lc. Saying that, for practical subjects with projects i can understand a partial return.

What?! What were they thinking?

I was told by the relevant parents that they couldn't see the issue with grandparents watching their grand children online.

When you have to explain why I began to weep a little inside at the stupidity of some.

I don't really understand the huge push to get 6th years back into all classes, these are students that are effectively college age who can and do work under their own steam, many of which understand the importance of the lc. Saying that, for practical subjects with projects i can understand a partial return.

All of what you said above is part of the reason for trying to get them back, and also to quell the calls for cancelling the LC. Those trying to cancel it will use the time spent remote learning to try justify cancellation.

I was told by the relevant parents that they couldn't see the issue with grandparents watching their grand children online.

When you have to explain why I began to weep a little inside at the stupidity of some.

Jesus. Did they accept why it couldn't happen when you explained?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    How can special needs go back, who will mind the teachers children?

Before people attack me as an entitled teacher, I say this as someone who started their dream job in q4, last year and lost it this month due to the school closure. It took ages to get the job, pay was over 80k etc. I started on contract and my role has been given to someone else as I couldn't work the hours needed due to school closure.

So again, who would mind the teachers children if they had to go back for special needs? There doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking by government.

Is there another half at home? Any relations close by?

Jesus. Did they accept why it couldn't happen when you explained?

Well whether they accepted it or they now know my feelings on it and that no matter how many times they give them the details they won't be getting any further than the waiting room.

Hasn't happened so far this week so hopefully the message has been received.

In our house, I am. That's why I lost my job. When schools close two parents working full-time doesn't work. I know lots are getting away working from home, splitting it between them but my wife can't treat patients from home.

I expect a lot of special needs teachers are in a similar position where if they went back to school there'd be nobody to mind their kids due to school/ ecce closures, etc. So the article in the Irish times seems to avoid that issue, similar to the government and epidemiologists not addressing Northern Ireland when talking about zero covid19.

I'd be surprised if schools opened for special needs while regular school is closed. Anyway, hopefully they come up with a solution.

I think the solution will be let up to yourself to find an outcome. No one cared about the nurses and doctors working crazy hours when kids school closed.

TTLF wrote: »
    Think this lockdown is really starting to get to my Geography teacher now
    Let me replay what just happened.

She's cutting out a lot, her laptop is freezing up a little, she's asking us questions but we don't know what she's saying properly at times.

My poor friends who's autistic and struggling in the class keeps saying "um, sorry Mrs you're cutting out, we can't hear you properly"

she decided to just snap at us
    "Yes 'Friends name' I get it I keep cutting out, well there's nothing I can do you'll just have to go along with it my WIFI is bad, ugh just write up the notes on coastal depositional features for tomorrow and learn them all I'll be testing you, if you don't know them I'll make you write them out, I don't know if you guys can even hear me but whatever" Zoom calls ends abruptly

Talk about a small threat on top of us all already being stressed. Just because you're stressed doesn't give you the right to take it out on your students :pac:

Well I guess I have an early lunch then so... :P

Sorry but if this teacher way of teaching ye is to write things out when you don't know them, its wrong.

This is the approach from the 90's is a punishment approach, its not teaching. It was proven it didn't work in the past.

I really thought this didn't go on anymore.

Was this just a random thing? Kid already in the class and the grand parent wanted to join?

Why not just sit beside the kid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Sorry but if this teacher way of teaching ye is to write things out when you don't know them, its wrong.

This is the approach from the 90's is a punishment approach, its not teaching. It was proven it didn't work in the past.

I really thought this didn't go on anymore.

In a class setting, it works out fine because we get to see stuff, have conversation, read aloud and highlight etc etc

I will agree, it isn't helping me learn anyway, just feels like a dull exercise. I don't blame her for being angry, but that's not way to act :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

TTLF wrote: »
    In a class setting, it works out fine because we get to see stuff, have conversation, read aloud and highlight etc etc

I will agree, it isn't helping me learn anyway, just feels like a dull exercise. I don't blame her for being angry, but that's not way to act :pac:

It's absolutely not, and I hope an apology is forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

We all know what is meant to happen, creches.

I'll pose three different scenarios:

1. Teachers who live in the north but work in the south. Neither childcare system seems to facilitate them. I know this as I had a staff member contact me asking for advice and support from the INTO.

2. Creches are working at reduced capacity. No capacity left in some areas to take children who don't normally attend.

3. Creches closed due to outbreaks. Not a huge issue but it is occuring.

A huge portion of primary school age children cannot be sent to a creche regardless. They are too old for creche and too young to be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I think the solution will be let up to yourself to find an outcome. No one cared about the nurses and doctors working crazy hours when kids school closed.

Actually a lot of teachers on the last lockdown volunteered to look after HCW children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Locotastic wrote: »
    A huge portion of primary school age children cannot be sent to a creche regardless. They are too old for creche and too young to be left alone.

Yes this is what I was saying few pages back, those children in 5th 6th maybe 1st and 2nd year to young to be left alone for 6 hours but too old for creche.

Was this just a random thing? Kid already in the class and the grand parent wanted to join?

Why not just sit beside the kid ?

Who knows and who cares. They are 6th class. We ask that no one is sitting beside them whispering answers into their ear. Children have to learn how to succeed on their own but also learn how to fail without someone trying to stop them.

khalessi wrote: »
    Yes this is what I was saying few pages back, those children in 5th 6th maybe 1st and 2nd year to young to be left alone for 6 hours but too old for creche.

Maybe open the classes up for those kids in the first move also?

Its a tough one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Mrsmum wrote: »

I would say the amount of people in that position working in a supermarket in that position is vanishingly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Depends, if they're living in a two bedroom apartment in Dublin with two siblings and two parents non PUP, may not be the ideal study environment and libraries closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I would say the amount of people in that position working in a supermarket in that position is vanishingly small.

Why would it be hugely different to teachers then? Looking at my local supermarket, a lot of the staff are women in their late teens, 20s and some 30s. It's likely a few have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

This will sound harsh but Not many care if teachers struggle to find childcare. Because right now there are thousands of parents working full time from home and on site whist also looking after their own kids with no help. All hoping their employers will be flexible. It was the same last March and there was little sympathy for those parents then.

Teachers will be expected to figure it out much like every other employee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement