Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Oh totally. I have a baby and toddler. I'm not diminishing parents concerns at all, I hope I didn't come across as if I was.

It came across like that to me, I don’t know how else you could interpret “ignore parents”. Appreciate we’re all under stress. I’m pretty much in the same boat as you family wise, albeit my two are toddler and JI age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just read in the IT that the topic of Schools reopening in any form is not on the Agenda for Cabinet today.
    While I don't expect it to be any time soon for Mainstream anyway, I expected there to be some timeline announced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just read in the IT that the topic of Schools reopening in any form is not on the Agenda for Cabinet today.
    While I don't expect it to be any time soon for Mainstream anyway, I expected there to be some timeline announced today.

A memo going to Cabinet tomorrow says consideration will be given to getting Leaving Cert students and children with special educational needs back to classes, but talks are on-going with the unions.

Above is from the Indo?

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I hope our Dutch expert on the Irish response to covid is sent to negotiate with them. Very capable of interpreting documents for the benefit of all. And might have some very helpful suggestions.

Seriously, what is actually wrong with you? How could you think this is funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It came across like that to me, I don’t know how else you could interpret “ignore parents”. Appreciate we’re all under stress. I’m pretty much in the same boat as you family wise, albeit my two are toddler and JI age.

But I didn't say ignore parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Oh give it up would ya.

No one wants schools closed for longer than they have to be but these are unchartered waters. Never seen before circumstances.

Nobody is enjoying this crap situation, and such childish projection does not help.

Well sorry sir!

A lot of the commentary on here seems to just list reasons why schools can't open, the falling case rate and positivity rate are being treated as false dawns. People talking about Paddy's day, Easter, September. As a parent I don't think the on-line learning experience is a patch on actually going to school. And not just for the education...

I want to see them back in school, obviously, when its safe (or as safe as it can be, nothing is risk free) but there are a lot of chicken lickens on here..

Going to write out my lines now sir..sorry that's the 11 year old coming out in me again....

But I didn't say ignore parents

Apologies, I see now it wasn't you. Exhaustion/ anxiety kicking in massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Interesting segment on CNN last night re opening US schools safely - resident expert( didn’t catch his name) said 3 main areas for schools to open safely - use of masks , robust contact tracing system and upgraded ventilation systems. Particular emphasis on ventilation systems citing need for investment in this area to ensure schools open safely.

I really hope they make a decision and announce it soon regarding both reopening and the exams. I'm so so sick of half assed leaks and speculation and having non-teacher friends and family members ask me what's going to happen as if a teacher would ever be informed before the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Well sorry sir!

A lot of the commentary on here seems to just list reasons why schools can't open, the falling case rate and positivity rate are being treated as false dawns. People talking about Paddy's day, Easter, September. As a parent I don't think the on-line learning experience is a patch on actually going to school. And not just for the education...

I want to see them back in school, obviously, when its safe (or as safe as it can be, nothing is risk free) but there are a lot of chicken lickens on here..

Going to write out my lines now sir..sorry that's the 11 year old coming out in me again....

You'll get tired carrying that chip

• Advertisement

This is a really good article that is well worth a read regarding the reopening of schools.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/schools-need-to-know-what-is-expected-of-them-before-they-can-reopen-1.4467388?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Well sorry sir!

You do that the "some people" you mention are actually Leo Varadkar, The Tanaiste of the county. He is the one who has mentioned Paddys Day which in reality is Easter such is their closeness this year.

Surely you have enough cop to realise anyone mentioning September is doing so to get a rise from people such as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Well sorry sir!

Not sure why you keep addressing me as "sir" but thanks anyway. I'm just a mere concerned parent like yourself.

Reminds me of that Homer Simpson quote:
    "Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lulublue22 wrote: »
    and upgraded ventilation systems. Particular emphasis on ventilation systems citing need for investment in this area to ensure schools open safely.

DES has unveiled the state-of-the-art ventilation system that it is planning to roll out across the country's schools

?m=02&d=20070227&t=2&i=418036&w=640&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&sq=&r=418036

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

This is a really good article that is well worth a read regarding the reopening of schools.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/schools-need-to-know-what-is-expected-of-them-before-they-can-reopen-1.4467388?mode=amp

How can special needs go back, who will mind the teachers children?

Before people attack me as an entitled teacher, I say this as someone who started their dream job in q4, last year and lost it this month due to the school closure. It took ages to get the job, pay was over 80k etc. I started on contract and my role has been given to someone else as I couldn't work the hours needed due to school closure.

So again, who would mind the teachers children if they had to go back for special needs? There doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking by government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

Very little mention, if any, of creches and childcare. Which I find strange. I know it's down to the Dept of Children, but I haven't see anything about it.

And it is just as important in terms of getting people back to work / childcare for teachers.

DES has unveiled the state-of-the-art ventilation system that it is planning to roll out across the country's schools

If they include the palm trees then I'm down with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Except thanks to health and safety school windows can only be opened a tiny bit

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Cancel the LC is trending on Twitter for the 4th or 5th time now. :pac:

mcsean2163 wrote: »

Before people attack me as an entitled teacher, I say this as someone who started their dream job in q4, last year and lost it this month due to the school closure. It took ages to get the job, pay was over 80k etc. I started on contract and my role has been given to someone else as I couldn't work the hours needed due to school closure.

So again, who would mind the teachers children if they had to go back for special needs? There doesn't seem to be any joined up thinking by government.

Why would anyone attack you? You aren't a teacher anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

mcsean2163 wrote: »

I'm sorry to hear about your job, hopefully something even better will come your way when the time is right. A lot of people have had to make that difficult decision over the past almost 12 months.

We are precariously facing the same decision here if this goes on much longer unfortunately. There's only so much holidays and shift swaps can cover things, it really burns you out after a while.

So who will mind the teachers children, well isn't that question something that anyone who can't or is no longer working from home has already dealt with?

Who is minding the children of doctors and nurses and hundreds of other essential professions right now??

Locotastic wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear about your job, hopefully something even better will come your way when the time is right. A lot of people have had to make that difficult decision over the past almost 12 months.

We are precariously facing the same decision here if this goes on much longer unfortunately. There's only so much holidays and shift swaps can cover things, it really burns you out after a while.

So who will mind the teachers children, well isn't that question something that anyone who can't or is no longer working from home has already dealt with?

Who is minding the children of doctors and nurses and hundreds of other essential professions right now??

We all know what is meant to happen, creches.

I'll pose three different scenarios:

1. Teachers who live in the north but work in the south. Neither childcare system seems to facilitate them. I know this as I had a staff member contact me asking for advice and support from the INTO.

2. Creches are working at reduced capacity. No capacity left in some areas to take children who don't normally attend.

3. Creches closed due to outbreaks. Not a huge issue but it is occuring.

Oops.

In our house, I am. That's why I lost my job. When schools close two parents working full-time doesn't work. I know lots are getting away working from home, splitting it between them but my wife can't treat patients from home.

I expect a lot of special needs teachers are in a similar position where if they went back to school there'd be nobody to mind their kids due to school/ ecce closures, etc. So the article in the Irish times seems to avoid that issue, similar to the government and epidemiologists not addressing Northern Ireland when talking about zero covid19.

I'd be surprised if schools opened for special needs while regular school is closed. Anyway, hopefully they come up with a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

WHat has been suggested is ring the County childcare committee.

I think the idea is they place you with a creche but it doesnt mean it will be near you and I am not sure how I feel about leaving kids in a strange creche I have not had the chance to assess, Also not sure how it will work for anyone with kids say in 5th 6th 1st 2nd year who are a bit young to be left alone for 6 or so hours while people travel to and from work and who dont want to be in a creche as they feel too old.
    ar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Regarding childcare, of all the issues, it's not the make or break one. Not all teachers will be back, of those who will, not all will need childcare, some teachers will have no kids or grown up kids or teenagers or partner WFH same as the partners of other essential workers. Most teachers I know have a childminder for babies and toddlers as that works better considering only term time minding needed. Three of my neighbours mind for children of teachers and are at the moment still taking their mindees. There will be some teachers stuck but a small enough number when spread across the country and an extra space or two made available for them in various creches should not be an insurmountable problem. Childcare certainly won't be what keeps schools closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Regarding childcare, of all the issues, it's not the make or break one. Not all teachers will be back, of those who will, not all will need childcare, some teachers will have no kids or grown up kids or teenagers or partner WFH same as the partners of other essential workers. Most teachers I know have a childminder for babies and toddlers as that works better considering only term time minding needed. Three of my neighbours mind for children of teachers and are at the moment still taking their mindees. There will be some teachers stuck but a small enough number when spread across the country and an extra space or two made available for them in various creches should not be an insurmountable problem. Childcare certainly won't be what keeps schools closed.

It would be a big challenge for me.

If I were to send my children to creche, financially I would be out of pocket quite a bit as I would have to pay for a preschooler with no ECCE year running at the moment and a school child who would be charged full whack for the week. I was quoted 350e from the creche, that is if they still have spaces when I need them.

Of course, I have full empathy for anyone who is facing these challenges at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

We all know what is meant to happen, creches.

I'll pose three different scenarios:

1. Teachers who live in the north but work in the south. Neither childcare system seems to facilitate them. I know this as I had a staff member contact me asking for advice and support from the INTO.

2. Creches are working at reduced capacity. No capacity left in some areas to take children who don't normally attend.

3. Creches closed due to outbreaks. Not a huge issue but it is occuring.

Just an observation - for a guy who said his class have had a seamless transition to remote learning, you don't half post a lot in here during the working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Think this lockdown is really starting to get to my Geography teacher now
    Let me replay what just happened.

She's cutting out a lot, her laptop is freezing up a little, she's asking us questions but we don't know what she's saying properly at times.

My poor friends who's autistic and struggling in the class keeps saying "um, sorry Mrs you're cutting out, we can't hear you properly"

she decided to just snap at us
    "Yes 'Friends name' I get it I keep cutting out, well there's nothing I can do you'll just have to go along with it my WIFI is bad, ugh just write up the notes on coastal depositional features for tomorrow and learn them all I'll be testing you, if you don't know them I'll make you write them out, I don't know if you guys can even hear me but whatever" Zoom calls ends abruptly

Talk about a small threat on top of us all already being stressed. Just because you're stressed doesn't give you the right to take it out on your students :pac:

Well I guess I have an early lunch then so... :P

• Advertisement

TTLF wrote: »
    Think this lockdown is really starting to get to my Geography teacher now
    Let me replay what just happened.

She's cutting out a lot, her laptop is freezing up a little, she's asking us questions but we don't know what she's saying properly at times.

My poor friends who's autistic and struggling in the class keeps saying "um, sorry Mrs you're cutting out, we can't hear you properly"

she decided to just snap at us
    "Yes 'Friends name' I get it I keep cutting out, well there's nothing I can do you'll just have to go along with it my WIFI is bad, ugh just write up the notes on coastal depositional features for tomorrow and learn them all I'll be testing you, if you don't know them I'll make you write them out, I don't know if you guys can even hear me but whatever" Zoom calls ends abruptly

Talk about a small threat on top of us all already being stressed. Just because you're stressed doesn't give you the right to take it out on your students :pac:

Well I guess I have an early lunch then so... :P

Keeping your break schedule is very important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement