Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

DES has unveiled the state-of-the-art ventilation system that it is planning to roll out across the country's schools

?m=02&d=20070227&t=2&i=418036&w=640&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&sq=&r=418036

Windows that open fully, even windows that open, would be an upgrade for many schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Maybe open the classes up for those kids in the first move also?

Its a tough one

Yes it is, if this were done in my school for 5th and 6th, that are too old for creche it could be a minimum of 150 or so children out of 240 children because if you are doing it for teachers, other essential workers would want it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I think the solution will be let up to yourself to find an outcome. No one cared about the nurses and doctors working crazy hours when kids school closed.

There seems to be a Chinese whisper affect.

My wife is a senior hospital health care worker. I am minding the children now and got fired for it. That is the outcome.

My point is that many special needs teachers may be in a similar boat in that they rely on school so that they can work.

You can say whatever you like about shop workers etc. but would you expect someone to leave their six year old at home on their own all day while they go in to help special needs students?

Maybe I'm over estimating based on a neighbor but I expect it'd be very difficult for many teachers to return to special needs work without the support of a general school support structure in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

khalessi wrote: »
    Yes it is, if this were done in my school for 5th and 6th, that are too old for creche it could be a minimum of 150 or so children out of 240 children because if you are doing it for teachers, other essential workers would want it too.

And from there you get the vulnerable kids in too, and the kids with additional needs. And - as is happening in England - kids who 'struggle with/can't access home learning'. Sure you could apply that label to almost any child!

I really and truly believe that was Norma's aim, btw. Open the schools for almost all by pretending to care about kids with additional needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    I really hope that they give us some form of a timeline today for a logical and safe return to school. I'd predict that being something along the lines of:

February 1st-5th: Special Schools, SET teachers at primary level, leaving cert

After February Midterm - March 1st: All other primary (I'd prefer this on a staggered basis, but that won't happen).

After Easter: Secondary Schools

However, I don't think we'll be given a long timeline. Just that nothing is happening for the next week.

I miss Joe McHugh. At least he didn't spend his time trying to make himself look like the victim of bold teachers and their pesky unions.

The problem with any timeline is that it is more likely than not going to be wrong. What can or cannot be done has to be driven by CoViD-19 key indicators (e.g. hospital + ICU cases and trends, cases and trends, community prevalence and trends, referral rates and trends, etc...) not by a calendar.

Given the b.1.1.7 variant is estimated to be 1.5 times as contagious we will need to be more cautious both in the level and rate of opening up to ensure numbers do not grow again.

We have been badly stung by the post Christmas surge and don't want to make that mistake again. We need to get hospital and ICU numbers down and get our community prevalence to s low level to give the breathing space to respond in time if numbers start to rise again.

• Advertisement

And from there you get the vulnerable kids in too, and the kids with additional needs. And - as is happening in England - kids who 'struggle with/can't access home learning'. Sure you could apply that label to almost any child!

I really and truly believe that was Norma's aim, btw. Open the schools for almost all by pretending to care about kids with additional needs.

In some schools in UK they ended up with 75% attendance when accomodating the different categories and then some children were just dropped off and left.

Yes this is what I was saying few pages back, those children in 5th 6th maybe 1st and 2nd year to young to be left alone for 6 hours but too old for creche.

??

You might get a crèche to take a junior infant but can't see anyone older than that being accepted. We enquired last October for our youngest and were told we might get a place summer 2021. He's on the list for summer 2021, so don't see how crèches will suddenly be in a position to take junior to 4th class primary school kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

In some schools in UK they ended up with 75% attendance when accomodating the different categories and then some children were just dropped off and left.

And some have gone ahead with those kinds of numbers in (at least a friend's school has, they've about 60% attendance atm) and the teacher is expected to juggle an in-person class and full home learning schedule for the rest. While the rest are banging down the door to try and get in too!

It's an absolute shítshow, it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Friends of mine from the PGCE in England are reporting 80-90% attendance in some areas of London as pretty much everyone and anyone can attend such are the broad parameters and criteria applied. Said it is absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    There seems to be a Chinese whisper affect.

My wife is a senior hospital health care worker. I am minding the children now and got fired for it. That is the outcome.

My point is that many special needs teachers may be in a similar boat in that they rely on school so that they can work.

You can say whatever you like about shop workers etc. but would you expect someone to leave their six year old at home on their own all day while they go in to help special needs students?

Maybe I'm over estimating based on a neighbor but I expect it'd be very difficult for many teachers to return to special needs work without the support of a general school support structure in place.

But teachers are not some unique group of essential workers. From your own situation, no special case was made for healthcare workers etc. I'm curious why you see teachers as more deserving of being a special case. However as I said before if teachers can get childcare for everybody essential happening, that would be good for those workers. It also means though more teachers back in school settings providing childcare and what was it that was said constantly in the first few threads - teaching is not childcare.

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    But teachers are not some unique group of essential workers. From your own situation, no special case was made for healthcare workers etc. I'm curious why you see teachers as more deserving of being a special case. However as I said before if teachers can get childcare for everybody essential happening, that would be good. It also means though more teachers back in school settings providing childcare and what was it that was said constantly in the first few threads - teaching is not childcare.

It's pretty clear from previous postings that this poster isn't a teacher. Not quite sure what agenda they are pushing on here now.

It's pretty clear from previous postings that this poster isn't a teacher. Not quite sure what agenda they are pushing on here now.

Perhaps wanting children of all essential workers back.

Perhaps wanting children of all essential workers back.

Which will lead to almost maximum attendance and a crazy number of people mobilising to get children to schools, the reason NPHET gave for them being closed while community transmission is high. As has been said before the list is too broad.

Which will lead to almost maximum attendance and a crazy number of people mobilising to get children to schools, the reason NPHET gave for them being closed while community transmission is high. As has been said before the list is too broad.

Yes and it isn't that essential workers don't actually deserve childcare, just that the solution is full of problems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

The term essential worker has turned in to an absolute joke at this stage. I know accountants who work for companies that have declared themselves and their staff as essential workers. Thus, also using this declared status to force people into the office.

JP100 wrote: »
    The term essential worker has turned in to an absolute joke at this stage. I know accountants who work for companies that have declared themselves and their staff as essential workers. Thus, also using this declared status to force people into the office.

List is far too broad. Companies using loopholes to get around it as well. Know people who have been given a new 'definition' of their job. Job hasn't changed but the new definition means they now are 'essential' and as such they are now forced to go into the office rather than do their work from home which they are more than capable of doing.

Ironic thing is that I was going to school the other day to get some further books and came upon a checkpoint. Asked what I was doing, where I was going, job, standard questions. When I said I was going to school to get some books I was told that I should use what I have at home and was turned around.

But teachers are not some unique group of essential workers. From your own situation, no special case was made for healthcare workers etc. I'm curious why you see teachers as more deserving of being a special case. However as I said before if teachers can get childcare for everybody essential happening, that would be good for those workers. It also means though more teachers back in school settings providing childcare and what was it that was said constantly in the first few threads - teaching is not childcare.

I didn't bring up special status or anything. A poster posted an it article which I looked at.

My point was that it's unlikely special needs will be back early due to logistics.

That's it for me today.

List is far too broad. Companies using loopholes to get around it as well. Know people who have been given a new 'definition' of their job. Job hasn't changed but the new definition means they now are 'essential' and as such they are now forced to go into the office rather than do their work from home which they are more than capable of doing.

Ironic thing is that I was going to school the other day to get some further books and came upon a checkpoint. Asked what I was doing, where I was going, job, standard questions. When I said I was going to school to get some books I was told that I should use what I have at home and was turned around.

The guard was being extremely unreasonable in sending you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Feck all clarity from that press conference with the 3 stooges.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Feck all clarity from that press conference with the 3 stooges.

They said there'll be nothing until an agreement has been made.

• Advertisement

Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

Strange. I know teachers who are working in school 2/3 days a week. Seems unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

First press conference and announcement I didn’t listen to. I’m done with it. I don’t want any more doom and gloom announcements or drip feed of information. I just want to get through one day at a time

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    Strange. I know teachers who are working in school 2/3 days a week. Seems unreasonable.

Thought so. Turned around and just used a different road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Thought so. Turned around and just used a different road instead.

Teachers are an exception to the travel rule and are allowed travel to school to facilitate learning.

Teachers are an exception to the travel rule and are allowed travel to school to facilitate learning.

See I too honest and just said the truth. Garda was a little to stringent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

See I too honest and just said the truth. Garda was a little to stringent though.

We got an email forwarded from the principal today from the ETB (CEO) to say that we work in education, are essential workers, and have permission to travel to school to provide online tuition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Three digit case numbers was so strange to see this evening. Hoping it keeps going down at this rate and the schools can open back up after the midterm when we're down to couple hundred cases a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

Would let local station know. Not to complain as such, but guards shouldn't be turning teachers around when going to their place of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

We got an email forwarded from the principal today from the ETB (CEO) to say that we work in education, are essential workers, and have permission to travel to school to provide online tuition etc.

Has the government added teachers to the essential workers list?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement