Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Probes wrote: »
    I don't know how to put this any other way, but 135,000 vaccinated by the end of Feb is really, really disappointing.

135,000 fully vaccinated with the second dose.
    Is it 3 to 4 weeks between doses?
    There could be 135,000 having received their first dose at the same time also.

If we have that many vaccinated fully vaccinated we will be doing ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

So stopping healthcare staff among others from working is a good idea. Ok....

People working in healthcare are tested, which is fine.

NI construction workers are not tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Few things after hearing some guy from npet there on the radio...

Thay are saying the spread is not related to international travel now etc.... Its in the community....

Well no sh.. Serlock.... The damage from travel and the whole saving Christmas is already done...

They basically told everyone 2 months ago.... A few weeks of level 5 and we can SAVE CHRISTMAS....

It was too late by the time they tried to reel it all back in with the UK travel and restrictions on Christmas eve...

No one listened.... Sure did we not save Christmas.!

Everyone kept their plans and tbh I don't blame them.

I said all along it was a stupid strategy and in fact we should have used Christmas for a tighter lock down... Instead of half of Dublin returning to the 4 corners of Ireland back to their homes..

And just for reference we have spent chrimas as a family of 3 only and did not plan on going home to grandparents etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Stheno wrote: »
    Testing seems to be very efficient
    Its verifying that positive swabs are not duplicate results that is the issue

This exactly. Testing and tracing infrastructure has worked excellently the past few weeks, despite it being the go-to punchbag for a lot of the pandemic.

The main issue of late is with results being validated with public health and uploaded to CIDR database.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Israeli PM contacted pharma boss directly and had a chat

Right :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Presumably you'll indulge us with a few examples of you calling out his bs.
    Sure. As soon Plumb comes back with his example. And provided ye're not too concerned ACE will be hurt by people referencing his posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Probes wrote: »
    I don't know how to put this any other way, but 135,000 vaccinated by the end of Feb is really, really disappointing.

We only have 2200 deaths, and if those deaths have come from the group mostly likely to die from it, and this 135,000 people are in that group then that means going forward very few deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Phil.x wrote: »
    Just back from having the test in swords, huge respect to the irish army getting stuck in with the testing. The place was so busy, an endless supply of people going through the doors.

When you say "through the doors" - is there any drive through testing going on also, or it is now all inside the facility?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Amirani wrote: »
    This exactly. Testing and tracing infrastructure has worked excellently the past few weeks, despite it being the go-to punchbag for a lot of the pandemic.

The main issue of late is with results being validated with public health and uploaded to CIDR database.

We've had to suspend testing of close contacts and we are close to having to not test those with symptoms. That shouldn't happen, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ficheall wrote: »
    And I guess these folks were right to laugh - we barely scraped above 900 on Christmas Eve. Didn't make it above 1000 until Christmas Day. Oh, we silly, silly fearmongers.

538406.png

You're right. We should all take pleasure in this new variant's ability to transmit, the 100's of people in hospital and the ever increasing numbers in ICU. All for a bit of point scoring on boards. That's what's most important in all of this after all.

p.s. Why didn't Philip Nolan or heck even Sam McConkey's wild estimates even stack up this time? Here's a wild guess. The variant is rampant and DeGascun's measly sample of 169 cases when we're now averaging 4000-6000 per day is not even a partially accurate snapshot of what's happening out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I Suppose one positive many can take is that there's a reasonable chance that if you or your loved ones are not showing any symptoms there's a good chance that anything you or they did up to Christmas day is not leading to a severe case of COVID.

Also, another positive story (for me anyways), I was chatting with a client yesterday whose 3 children tested positive before Christmas. They all got it in their primary school (apparently it was riddled with it, loads of children off). But the children only had one day of feeling "not right" (headache) and both parents tested negative. As somebody with 3 young children its nice to hear these stories.

They also told me of somebody (another parent with children in the school) who had 3 tests (don't know why) who tested negative 2 times but positive the third. I suppose maybe you could be infected and get the test too early for it show?

We've had to suspend testing of close contacts and we are close to having to not test those with symptoms. That shouldn't happen, tbh.

It would be pointless to design a testing system to deal with well over 50k tests per day (some days would have been 100k+ most likely), which would have been needed if we were continuing to test close contacts.

Testing close contacts isn't that worthwhile anymore, as Tony Holohan briefly outlines here:

https://twitter.com/CMOIreland/status/1344938918190444544

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Nearly 61,000 cases in the UK

You're right. We should all take pleasure in this new variant's ability to transmit, the 100's of people in hospital and the ever increasing numbers in ICU. All for a bit of point scoring on boards. That's what's most important in all of this after all.

p.s. Why didn't Philip Nolan or heck even Sam McConkey's wild estimates even stack up this time? Here's a wild guess. The variant is rampant and DeGascun's measly sample of 169 cases when we're now averaging 4000-6000 per day is not even a partially accurate snapshot of what's happening out there.

I;d say for the hundredth time today - the new variant accounted for 10% of swabs here. As someone else said, you don't need to taste the whole pot to know if there is too much salt in the soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Happy4all wrote: »
    People working in healthcare are tested, which is fine.

NI construction workers are not tested.

You know this how?

Bad figures there from UK

60K new cases

830 dead in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sure. As soon Plumb comes back with his example. And provided ye're not too concerned ACE will be hurt by people referencing his posts.

Never mind Plumb, just interested in all of your examples,not doubting you as many posters have had a go at him many fair some not so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I;d say for the hundredth time today - the new variant accounted for 10% of swabs here. As someone else said, you don't need to taste the whole pot to know if there is too much salt in the soup

Apparently its up to 25% now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

10% of a very small sample of swabs (a sample of about 170 swabs IIRC). Not 10% of all swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nope, not taking any pleasure in the increased numbers - just hopeful that in future some posters might not be so quick to laugh at others who are more concerned than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

marno21 wrote: »
    The tide is turning lads. Most close contacts I know of have fibbed to their GP about having symptoms to get tested. There is nothing stopping you getting a test if you want one

The conditions that led to the surge a week ago are gone. No one is having dinner with family this week. The pubs are closed and most opportunities for community transmission are gone.

I have driven 700km across 2 counties in the year 2021 so far. A total of 0 checkpoints but the roads are busy. Perhaps it may be an idea to enforce the existing rules rather than bringing in new ones. Closing all construction at this stage may not be worth the benefits

What's the point though? If they develop symptoms they can get a test anyway. If not they still need to restrict their movements for 14 days so doesn't really change much.

It will take weeks to bring down the case numbers as they are because people still go to work, shop, use public transport etc before knowing they are sick or a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

No testing system anywhere in the world could cope with case numbers increasing by a factor of 15 over the space of a few weeks, and close contacts per positive case more than doubling.

Testing (swabbing and processing tests) seems to be in great shape here, to be honest. Well done to all involved, who must have had an incredibly business Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Amirani wrote: »

I really doubt it was working excellently, there would be surely some indications of huge jump we got lately. Well tracing must have been awful at least and put it together with peeps not turning for tests, not self isolating, going back to work or wherever they go..

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Think they are now suggesting 25%.

Stheno wrote: »
    Apparently its up to 25% now

As you would expect - it didn't cause the surge. It may exacerbate or extend it. Its out competing our native strain, the grey squirrel of coronavirus

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Bad figures there from UK

60K new cases

830 dead in a day

I want to emphasise how bad this is, and that we are also in this bad situation.

Sky News now with that Israel vaccine situation.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    I really doubt it was working excellently, there would be surely some indications of huge jump we got lately. Well tracing must have been awful at least and put it together with peeps not turning for tests, not self isolating, going back to work or wherever they go..

I'm not sure you understand what the role of the testing and tracing system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Eivor wrote: »
    I wonder why that is? Are we running out of them? Surely they should’ve never stopped increasing the testing capacity from the start

There are no issues with supply shortage. Lab capacity is 28,000+ a day, and capacity continues to increase.
    You can't analyse swabs that haven't been taken.

GPs are swamped just referring symptomatic people and public health departments are still trying to get through reporting a backlog of thousands of positive tests.

The number of swabs taken will reduce due to the change in testing close contacts. I imagine contacts will be tested once transmission is under control again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

You're basing that on only 169 cases. In total. That's what DeGascun based his tweet on contradicting the Government.
    We've had 4-6k cases per day. This is not an accurate snapshot. Dr David Nabarro from the WHO was on Radio one this morning, well worth a listen back. He thinks the new variant, combined with Christmas has created the situation we're in now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement