Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

5,325 cases 17 deaths..

RIP

Huge surge for Cork up in 700s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No, some of us did NOT **** up, the only day we were "out and about" was Christmas day, and that was with my daughter, who is "bubbled" for essential child care, and they came here for a virtual on line pantomine before New Year's eve.

We wanted to do more, but making the right decisions meant not doing it, so as far as we're concerned, don't throw the blame our way.

Some of the issue for me is that NPHET, and RTE have wrecked our heads with the constant mantras of "2 weeks", "worried", "concerned", as far as I am concerned, I am pretty much switched off now when RTE go to the press conference, the whole scenario has a serious lack of credibility about it now, they've used all the empasis words too many times, and they no longer have credibility.

The final straw for me was when the essential computer systems all fell apart, they've had more than enough time to go out and specify a new system, and procure the hardware, and get it up and running, several times over, but they have manifestly failed when the chips were down.

Now, I see that the target for vaccine is 135,000 by the end of Feb. If that's true, we're looking at more than 4 YEARS to get the majority vaccinated. There are no words to describe the contempt I have for that sort of incompetence, and there's plenty more in other State services, I've wasted hours in the last few days trying to sort out things like driving licence renewals, and the brutal reality is that they don't have a clue what they are doing.

We ARE in trouble now, for all the wrong reasons, and getting buy in from a lot of people is going to be hard, too many people will see NPHET and the like as just crying wolf, as they have been all year.

Same as, did nothing over the Christmas or before it.

My biggest gripe is the amount of ambiguity over things.

NPHET and the government are all talk about cases, hospital numbers and deaths
    That’s fine, but the opening and closing of any sector should not be down to the whim of politicians.

It should be published that at certain numbers of cases certain things close and they don’t reopen until they go below another number. Publish what they are and let everyone have ownership of it.

We are supposed to have a “living with covid” approach but we have a living with political decisions approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

harr wrote: »
    17 deaths is shocking and an increase in ICU cases as well

The deaths are over the last 4 days..not just yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭fits

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Cases are down about 11% day on day!!!

Open the schools!

Yea that’s a totally appropriate response to post to 17 deaths

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

5,325 cases 17 deaths..

My brother in laws Dad was one of them, rest in peace sir. And to the other 16 people today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Higher than todays swabs

Backlog filtering through

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

Doesn’t make it any less shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 85,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Steve012 wrote: »
    My brother in laws Dad was one of them, rest in peace sir. And to the other 16 people today.

Sorry to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m sorry to hear that. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Cases are down about 11% day on day!!!

Open the schools!

They can pull the roof off every school and have them open 24/7, my children will be cozy and warm at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Stheno wrote: »
    Higher than todays swabs

899 in backlog cases included today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Gonna get a whole lot more shocking in the next 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear.

Was he otherwise ill? Or just Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Longing

What difference does that make

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

Huge surge for Cork up in 700s

Could be like Dublin yesterday

Lot of backlog cases in one go .... hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

fits wrote: »
    Yea that’s a totally appropriate response to post to 17 deaths

It is, I didn’t see the 17 figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Higher than todays swabs

Yes, but it seems like far less tests were done as positivity percentage is up again, over 22% now.

Due to them stopping the testing of close contacts, the case numbers now say very little.

The swab positivity rate is probably the best indicator, as well as hospital admissions and ICU admissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Higher than todays swabs

Filtering through slower than it should be though

Large backlog still there

rm212 wrote: »
    Yes, but it seems like far less tests were done as positivity percentage is up again, over 22% now.

Due to them stopping the testing of close contacts, the case numbers now say very little.

The swab positivity rate is probably the best indicator, as well as hospital admissions and ICU admissions.

Positivity was 25% yesterday iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Does anyone know if the backlog cases are people who are only hearing about their positive result today, or is it only being reported nationally now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

5,325 cases 17 deaths..

That's the maximum we can test for - 25k tests @ 22% positive = 5,500 a day maximum positive cases that can be identified!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Sorry to hear.

Was he otherwise ill? Or just Covid?

Yes he was in hospital for past 8 weeks, he was getting better, caught covid 3 weeks ago went down hill quick, ended up on a ventilator.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Positivity was 25% yesterday iirc

Oh, you may be right, seems I was looking at the moving average of the positivity rate: https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

I can’t see any way to get yesterday’s rate there?

Boris saying that 25% of over-eighties already vaccinated in the UK. Seems like it’s kicking in fast over there now

Didn't Mary Horgan have a barney with i think NPHET last week?

Or maybe it was about no communications to.GPs about vaccinew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

harr wrote: »
    Doesn’t make it any less shocking

Didn't say it wasn't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement