Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

4,426 swabs from 19,869 tests - 22.28%, a welcome dip but just one day

How are contact tracing getting on with the huge numbers lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Had a sobering call with the colleague today.

She is self isolating because she has been identified as a close contact. She knew before the HSE told her, as her tennis club had called her. She is on a tennis team, and the 7 people on the team do cardio training together once a week. The training is outside, and socially distant, so highly unlikely she caught anything. But all the same, she is a close contact and has to self isolate, which means forking out huge amounts of money to care nurses to look after her two terminally ill parents.

The galling thing is that the person who tested positive went to training while awaiting the outcome of a covid test.

She then went on to tell me that her husband's daughter attended her in laws house for Christmas Day. So she, her husband and her son went for Christmas Dinner with her mother in law, father in law, the grannies on both sides, and her husbands two siblings. Turns out one of the grannies had tested positive for covid, and hadn't told anyone. All in all she infected 14 people on the day.

Now, I obviously blame the granny. Like HOW could you put your own family in such danger, including another elderly person?? I also blame the MIL for flagrantly flouting the three household rule. I hope she feels suitably guilty about that.

Two examples of people just being massively massively selfish. Bordering on criminal assault I would say.

Bloody hell. I'm generally very upbeat "people are generally good" kind of person, but I'll be side eying everyone for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Irish stuff runs the site ;)

Ah, thanks then irishstuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Drop in swabs and positivity is welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I think the approach we adopted in April/May last year worked well enough in most people's eyes. The problems arose when we opened things up again. I suppose the question for the next pandemic is is there a way of easing restrictions that won't just bring the virus surging back.

I believe you mean March/April, the initial lockdown?

What was happening then that can no longer be replicated is mass fear. It worked almost as well as having a military on the streets. There was too much unknown about the virus, it was the first time anyone had ever seen such a global pandemic, the majority of people were genuinely scared to be outside and near other people, even if subconsciously so.

All that is gone now. Even though many remain concerned and afraid, the majority of society is tired, and just waiting for all this to be over with. It is impossible to replicate the initial level of compliance without a military-like treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

titan18 wrote: »
    I don't have that breakdown of people online on it, or missing it at least.

I run it so that's why ;) Jumped up to 785 now. One of these days they'll surely block the site accessing the API :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

bennyl10 wrote: »
    We’ve stopped testing close contacts which we were before.

The positivity rate has stabilised a bit though. The positivity rate for close contacts is 10% to 15%, so the + rate would be lower again if they were still testing close contacts. But, yes, you are correct, we are not catching all the cases at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

We aren’t testing close contacts anymore

The dip was always gonna happen

Actually it would be a lower positivity rate if contacts are tested as not all would be pos.
    We should be getting a higher positivity if only people with symptoms are tested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd have expected positivity to go up due to not testing close contacts

Its good its gone down but strange

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

2021 off to a flyer ffs.

2021 is the year that Mad Max is set. Just sayin. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

titan18 wrote: »
    Threadbanned I think

ACitizenErased - 1 week from 05/12/20 - Lifted 12/12/20

Ban was lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It's a lower positivity rate than the last two days, where it should increase as less contacts are tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

poppers wrote: »
    Actually it would be a lower positivity rate if contacts are tested as not all would be pos.
    We should be getting a higher positivity if only people with symptoms are tested.

The numbers of tests dropping is the thing.

We should be testing more and then pos % changes with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭giveitholly

A certain amount of close contacts are contacting their GPs to get tests,so while all close contacts might not be getting tested,a certain amount are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭mcburns07

JDD wrote: »

She is self isolating because she has been identified as a close contact. She knew before the HSE told her, as her tennis club had called her. She is on a tennis team, and the 7 people on the team do cardio training together once a week. The training is outside, and socially distant, so highly unlikely she caught anything. But all the same, she is a close contact and has to self isolate, which means forking out huge amounts of money to care nurses to look after her two terminally ill parents.

The galling thing is that the person who tested positive went to training while awaiting the outcome of a covid test.

She then went on to tell me that her husband's daughter attended her in laws house for Christmas Day. So she, her husband and her son went for Christmas Dinner with her mother in law, father in law, the grannies on both sides, and her husbands two siblings. Turns out one of the grannies had tested positive for covid, and hadn't told anyone. All in all she infected 14 people on the day.

Now, I obviously blame the granny. Like HOW could you put your own family in such danger, including another elderly person?? I also blame the MIL for flagrantly flouting the three household rule. I hope she feels suitably guilty about that.

Two examples of people just being massively massively selfish. Bordering on criminal assault I would say.

Bloody hell. I'm generally very upbeat "people are generally good" kind of person, but I'll be side eying everyone for the next few weeks.

I know it's the exception rather than the rule, but it's mind boggling how some people intentionally hide that they tested positive / continue as normal while waiting for a result.

All the more strange when they had some level of cop on to go get tested in the first place.

poppers wrote: »

Yes, good news?

I still don't know if the Christmas wave of cases has passed the testing stage or yet to be processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd have expected positivity to go up due to not testing close contacts

Its good its gone down but strange

It's not that strange, we are 10 days after Christmas now, so I would have expected stabilisation this week.

It will probably go up again tomorrow and my optimism will be wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Arduach wrote: »
    ACitizenErased - 1 week from 05/12/20 - Lifted 12/12/20

Ban was lifted.

Then threadbanned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Elements of the goverment are still trying to pull the wool over are eyes with comments that they could never foresee this.

Absolute rubbish. I spoke to a head nurse during the summer as well as my own gp back in april and they both highlighted January/February as the time they were most fearful about. This seemed to be the general consensus throughout the medical field and beyond.

The lack of real leadership is literally killing us now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

UK is going to implement stronger border controls. Effectively admitting they got it wrong.
    We'll probably need another wave to make sure. Locking down with no inward travel restriction is dumb.
    He get's called on the "enforcement" bull**** to boot. Not a piers fan by any stretch but he is right.

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1346381745218859009?s=20

Gove all of a sudden wants to believe in experts.wasnt that his reason for brexit sick of experts.ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It’s not very nice that you reference someone who doesn’t have the right to respnd tbh, I guess that’s why you went with the screenshot I suppose.
    Aw, diddums. I called out his bs plenty of times when he was on thread. The screenshot was for the benefit of those who thanked it.

It's not that strange, we are 10 days after Christmas now, so I would have expected stabilisation this week.

It will probably go up again tomorrow and my optimism will be wrong again.

I would have expected around now to be seeing the start of the worst, so I find it a bit strange, but hopefully we have passed the peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

JDD wrote: »

My faith in humanity has taken a serious beating in the last year or so. It was nice when you could just ignore the selfish as they had no impact on your life, mostly. But it makes these restrictions all the more difficult when others have absolutely zero regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Lets hope we have past the peak of infection now, lets pray for rapid decline over next 2 weeks so schools can reopen on 1 February

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭prunudo

They're outdoors. Construction should absolutely stay open. It's low risk as regards Covid, and keeps 100,000 people off PUP. Also keeps some vital infrastructure projects afloat and has a big knock on effect on the economy. Not worth it to close it in my opinion.

I've seen that 100k figure mentioned a few times, seems quite low. Definitely wouldn't be including all the ancillary industries that support construction either. People have this idea of a few lads in a van and huddled in a site hut, its supports far more people than some give credit to. Closing sites will also mean the closure of builders providers, manufacturing, transport and many more jobs that rely on building industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ficheall wrote: »
    Aw, diddums. I called out his bs plenty of times when he was on thread. The screenshot was for the benefit of those who thanked it.

No at all ,just amused at the double standards of those that sit on high horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Ficheall wrote: »

Nicely done :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

No at all ,just amused at the double standards of those that sit on high horses.
    Presumably you'll be able to give some example of this alleged double standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

quokula wrote: »
    Yeah this is very true, a lot of people just don't give a crap about spreading it as long as it's only other people that die. If it was more lethal there would be way more compliance and it would be easier to control.

Reminds me of that old Twilight Zone episode, would you press a button that gives you a million dollars but kills a random stranger? Covid has shown there's a significant cohort of people who'll happily hammer that button all day long, and for a lot less too.

Not to derail thread but when you look at WW2 and psychological experiments in general on people who wear uniforms, people will do horrible things and sort of absolve themselves of blame when its an accepted norm. "I was doing my job" or some sort of self justification is usually applied.

But you put uniforms on people and tell them they have the authority to do x, y and Z, then it becomes acceptable. The same thing applies in society, when society deems something acceptable (Church covering up crimes), then nobody addresses it. Its remarkable how quickly we as a species can forget the atrocities and issues we dish out on our fellow man. I think this is where the disconnection comes from, "the people doing bad things are not like me, I wouldnt do that". People are people and in different environments alot of us do not know how we would react.

What will people in 100 years be looking back on now as our great sin ? Ignorance ? Hubris ? Have we enjoyed such a relatively quiet period (war wise) that we are complacent to our own flaws ? Look at some of the big headlines before COVID and ask ourselves are the things that were getting big news really pathetic in comparison to a truly global issue such as this ? Have we become too soft and self centered where shaming people into rigid political correctness has been one of "the great issues" of our generation ? People's feelings getting hurt is forcing far more policing of speech, where will that end up ?

One thing I have learned from decades of therapy and trying out meditation and plenty of other methods of trying to sort myself out, is that when I am blaming others (which I still do) I am not looking at my role in an issue. I am human and suffer all the defects that I speak about, so I am not judging everybody else on a level I do not judge myself. If everybody was able to honestly appraise their own motives and actions then the world would be a much better place. But we lie to ourselves all the time, what we intrepret in our lives is through our own bias eyes that filters information to suit ourselves and is often flawed. But you see it in here. Its the governments fault. Its NEPHETs fault. Its young peoples fault.

Its human behavior driving the speed of the spread as much as anything else that can be singled out. If young people are driving the spread, what have they learned from their parents that makes them think its ok to act so irresponsibly ? We are all responsible for the mess we are in and what is worse is if we do not learn anything from this situation. Unfortunately a lot of people do not want to learn anything, they know what they know and particularly if a point of view suits them, they will refuse to amend their opinions. Then what usually happens is people attack posters who are posting information that people do not like. Its a chronic failing to objectively assess information and an instinct to lash out to avoid productive debate.

In summary, I didnt see that Twilight Zone episode, how did it end ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

The numbers of tests dropping is the thing.

We should be testing more and then pos % changes with that..

circa 20k symtomatic tested. 22.5% pos rateabout 4500 cases

if you 10k close contacts and with a pos rate of 15% you get 1500 cases

30000 tests give 6000 caes gives an overall pos rate of 20%

this pos decrease as we test more close contacts with out sympomtons

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement