Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

There are many from NI travelling from NI to ROI for work purposes including healtcare staff. Do you want to stop them?
    at this stage....yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Drumpot wrote: »
    An Excellent Q&A out from two extremely reliable sources of information. I have found both excellent over the last 11 months. They are often well ahead of the curve in information and quite often you see stuff they have spoken about only show up in mainstream media weeks or months after. I find it so much more balanced and less hysterical then the mainstream media that appears to really confuse and scare people.

In terms of their bias, their priority is to educate, it is not comparable to the bias of mainstream media or politicians or even our authorities who all have an angle with the information they are promoting. These are people well educated in the medical profession who are trying to educate people and help weed out alot of the misinformation and misguided opinions people maintain on the pandemic.

Just some backround on the speakers:

Roger Seheult, MD is the co-founder and lead professor at https://www.medcram.com
    He is an Associate Professor at the University of California, Riverside School of Medicine and Assistant Prof. at Loma Linda University School of Medicine
    Dr. Seheult is Quadruple Board Certified: Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine

John Campbell, RN, BSc, MSc, PGC.Pharm, PhD is a health educator and analyst that has spent over three decades teaching students in the United Kingdom, Asia, Africa, and online with an extensive video library. Dr. Campbell also has also published textbooks on Physiology and Pathophysiology.

Questions discussed in this interview:

0:00 Introductions
    1:44 Lessons we can learn as a society so far from this pandemic?
    5:13 How do you decide what COVID 19 information sources are credible?
    11:04 Role of pre-print research (non published or peer-reviewed) during a pandemic?
    18:07 How can trust be maintained (or restored) in federal organizations like the CDC, FDA in the USA, and NICE in the UK?
    22:33 Any new promising treatments besides steroids and remdesivir, and are doctors giving vitamin D to inpatients?
    28:00 Thoughts on Ivermectin?
    34:40 How will SARS-CoV-2 mutations impact the vaccine, testing, and treatments?
    40:26 Thoughts on COVID vaccines authorized so far: safety and efficacy
    47:46 Why not just rely on your immune system to fight off COVID-19 instead of a vaccine?
    50:37 Thoughts on “long haulers” or Post-COVID syndrome? Have we seen this with other viruses?
    57:37 “Background” side effects vs vaccine or intervention side effects
    1:00:48 “Predictions” regarding COVID-19 in 2021
    1:08:51 If the fatality rate of COVID-19 was higher, would overall infections be lower?
    1:13:44 Your personal routine for a healthy lifestyle and staying safe from coronavirus?
    1:20:12 What dose of vitamin D do you take and do you take it all year?
    1:25:05 Some consequences of time spent indoors (ventilation, vitamin D)
    1:26:07 Vitamin D and skin color and archeology findings
    1:28:03 Should other supplements be taken with vitamin D?
    1:31:25 Lessons to learn from COVID-19 testing and where should it go?

My Notes:

- countries too reactive, not proactive
    - Huge issue with misinformation and people poorly educated on the situation. People not following science. This is part of the reason for these YouTube informative channels, to educate
    - Poor communication equally led to poor compliance and people not realising how bad/serious it actually is
    - Problem with narrative journalism (a lot of people get their information form here). Science papers are where you learn to appraise a topic.
    - Make sure there is reference to the source information being discussed. Dr John and Medcram always provide the source of the information they discuss. “Don’t believe people” - these sources are filtering expert opinion
    - When mistakes are made it’s important to make quick adjustments. A lot of people think when authorities change stance on something it’s bad, but it actually shows they are changing with the science which is good. (Eg Masks not needed to evidence that showed mask really help during the pandemic)
    - They aren’t overly concerned with recent mutation with regards to efficacy of vaccines
    - Not concerned about allergy reactions to vaccines - more dangerous eating peanuts ! 1/70 kids in uk have allergy to peanuts
    - Some people will still come down with COVID after vaccine because it’s 95% effective so 5% can still get infected (good info to debunk conspiracy’s against vaccine)
    - In terms of allergies and people getting infected after vaccine look at the numbers and put it into context. (A tendency for some to be hyperbolic and treat one story or event as representing a wider trend)
    - Media has a tendency to report on bad news innacurately. 1-100,000 get allergic reaction to vaccine but 1/3000 get reaction to penicillin but media isn’t reporting on that! Beware taking everything in media as fact!!!
    - A lot of people incorrectly see this as black or white “you either die or you don’t” but it’s not that simple. Long COVID is potentially bad. We may only understand Long term issues over coming years
    - Optimistic that maybe from March spread should level out. VIT D (more sun) will play a role along with more ventilation
    - Vaccines will play more of a role at end of year, not so much for first few months
    - Increased transmissibility making old lockdown measures less effective
    - Will there be another pandemic? Yes, just a matter of when. We got lucky with COVID that it has a relatively low mortality rate, hopefully lessons learned
    - If people accept that globally governments have been slow to act and been not quick at responding they should Ask themselves what can they do to improve their own immune systems
    - Techniques to improve immune system. What are the doctors doing to try to reduce change of bad dose ? Vit D , hydrotherapy etc
    - Fever is actually good
    - Vit d deficiency can reduce effectiveness of immune system ( as can smoking etc)
    - Importance of VIT D (for those who dismiss its relevance)
    - Lessons on testing - massive issues because insisting on top quality tests which ruled out other strategies (mass testing regularly). Short sighted but not a definitive alternative

Great post. Much too factual for this thread :D

Did they mention asymptomatic transmission at all?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The_Brood wrote: »
    Too many people have forgotten/never even realized just how catastrophic these lockdowns are. The seeming magic tree of PUP and other social payments has, while good for those involved, masked just how bleak of a situation we find ourselves in.

When there is a problem you need to apply a solution that will actually work for the society involved.

I think the approach we adopted in April/May last year worked well enough in most people's eyes. The problems arose when we opened things up again. I suppose the question for the next pandemic is is there a way of easing restrictions that won't just bring the virus surging back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

hmmm wrote: »
    If it killed 20% of people we'd all be hiding.
    I'm no longer convinced that's true. Especially if, say, it only killed over 45s, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

titan18 wrote: »
    If its an unpopular decision, they get someone lower down to make it. Like the FF spokesperson for arts, culture and heritage saying schools to stay closed.

Or she wants a few twitter followers out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

oceanman wrote: »
    at this stage....yes

So stopping healthcare staff among others from working is a good idea. Ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

The F5 mania has escaped this forum :D

chrome_4YwmzoDCAT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Great post. Much too factual for this thread :D

Did they mention asymptomatic transmission at all?

I dont recall any specific discussion on this. Possibly mentioned when discussing the new strain that is more infectious. .

Its funny cause I know too much information that drain you, but I find these sources very relaxing. Its a reminder that there are very intelligent people who may not be on tv or front and centre "educating" people about the virus, but who are playing a role in trying to help communicate a clearer message and even actively help in their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Feel free to put me on ignore.

Not wanting to ignore you AWTF. You're entitled to ask all the questions you want and you're not annoying me. I do think, as others have also said, that you should take a few breaks from the negativity on here and go for a few walks or something. There might be others on here 24/7 too but that doesn't mean they are as worried as you might be. Take a break, there's a whole world out there, well some of it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

hmmm wrote: »
    Great summary, thanks.

I remember at the start of this seeing an interview with a Western virologist who had gone to Wuhan (at their request) to assist them, and he I think correctly predicted that this would be very difficult to control in the West precisely because of the (relatively) low mortality rate. If it killed 20% of people we'd all be hiding. Because it kills just under 1%, and worse it mostly kills certain groups, then it will be very hard to control it as a lot of people just won't care.

Yeah this is very true, a lot of people just don't give a crap about spreading it as long as it's only other people that die. If it was more lethal there would be way more compliance and it would be easier to control.

Reminds me of that old Twilight Zone episode, would you press a button that gives you a million dollars but kills a random stranger? Covid has shown there's a significant cohort of people who'll happily hammer that button all day long, and for a lot less too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ficheall wrote: »
    And I guess these folks were right to laugh - we barely scraped above 900 on Christmas Eve. Didn't make it above 1000 until Christmas Day. Oh, we silly, silly fearmongers.

538406.png

It’s not very nice that you reference someone who doesn’t have the right to respnd tbh, I guess that’s why you went with the screenshot I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Ficheall wrote: »
    And I guess these folks were right to laugh - we barely scraped above 900 on Christmas Eve. Didn't make it above 1000 until Christmas Day. Oh, we silly, silly fearmongers.

538406.png

What ever happened to him? Was he banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Northernlily

2021 off to a flyer ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What ever happened to him? Was he banned?

Threadbanned I think

The F5 mania has escaped this forum :D

chrome_4YwmzoDCAT.png

What site is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

You can help a small local business here in Donegal and buy yourself some beautiful soaps which will help curb the virus, along with all the other measures. New stock just released.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/KiloSoapCo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Some people under the impression Lombardy and Madrid were the only places that could face these situations..
    https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1346479979689701376

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

4,426 swabs from 19,869 tests - 22.28%, a welcome dip but just one day

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

What site is that?

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

4426 positive swabs, 22.28% positivity on 19,869 swabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

wadacrack wrote: »

86 cases is not that concerning as of this moment in time. I imagine we have more than that confirmed here.

4,426 swabs from 19,869 tests - 22.28%

Hasn't got worse at least, but that might be with the less tests

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Threadbanned I think

Yes, twice in fact (according to the first post in the thread)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Are you sure it wasn't the Public health officials, politicians and mainstream media that weren't encouraging the 'demonising' of the public on a regular basis? 'Outrage videos' over young people drinking outdoors over the summer/Autumn seemed to be a near weekly occurrence. Many videos often posted by elected officials to City council in my area. Pat Kenny had a new group to demonise instead of cyclists - young people.

Check out this series of Tweets if you don't think that NPHET was being demonised by public figures...

https://twitter.com/Antcon7062/status/1346476458345041922

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Lowest number of positive swabs since 31st December - we can beat this :)

Ok, I know, it's only 1 day and the positivity rate is still awful. But, look, maybe we're starting to turn the corner.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

4426 positive swabs, 22.28% positivity on 19,869 swabs.

I don't have that breakdown of people online on it, or missing it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

We aren’t testing close contacts anymore

The dip was always gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I don't have that breakdown of people online on it, or missing it at least.

Irish stuff runs the site ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Here's hoping the wheel is starting to turn back, albeit slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Lowest number of positive swabs since 31st December - we can beat this :)

Ok, I know, it's only 1 day and the positivity rate is still awful. But, look, maybe we're starting to turn the corner.

We’ve stopped testing close contacts which we were before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement