Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Will Yam wrote: »
    I’m not too sure about that. For example DUndrum sc was open all last week, thronged with young adults, sitting on steps etc, drinking takeaway coffee and eating donuts.

So close the coffee shops and this is what happens.

I think shopping centres should have to limit the numbers inside like shops do.

I felt really uncomfortable in december queuing for a computer store to make an essential purchase with massive crowds constantly passing me with no distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I wasn't asking for advice.

That's a first.
    Gruffalux wrote: »
    Ah come on, all of ye with yer well meaning aka patronising advice for AWTF. Leave her alone. Go past her posts and stop with the If I was you condescension. Why should she do what you "advise"? If she wants to be up to high doh it is her prerogative. Balances out the nothing to see here delusional crap.

I genuinely don't think 'well meaning' can be considered 'patronising' in thus case Gruffalux. The poster is on here every waking hour from what i can see, relentlessly looking for advice, and I would think she's sending most people a clear signal that she is living in a frantic and hysterical state 24/7. In that regard I agree with you that she's "up to high doh", but shes asking questions so has to live with the well meant answers.

No-one has to be a health professional to say that it can't be healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

FF Twitter just announced that schools are to be closed until the end of the month and then deleted the tweet. Obviously posted prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Eod100 wrote: »
    Martin on radio 1 confirming schools closing until end of January is on agenda today. Say that's it so.
    https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1346464817981231111?s=20

I personally feel it will be after the February midterm they'll be back but we couldn't possibly speculate.

Would they ever announce it ffs instead of this holy show dragging on for ages and ages.

Teachers, parents and students on the line, nobody knowing what to do or what to expect or whether to make plans. It's murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Plenty of people saw this coming, they were just shouted down.

Who say it coming, certainly not NPHET or anyone in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

newboard wrote: »
    With the current high numbers relating to a backlog, are there estimates for what the new daily cases happening now are?

The backlog is barely being touched in the current case numbers. And if it is, it's just being replaced by delaying more recent swabs so in effect there is no real movement yet.

Swabs for the first 4 days range between 4.5 and 6.5k. That's our best guess on the current daily tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

titan18 wrote: »
    True, but even NPHET said cases would increase a lot with opening them. Might not have foreseen 6k a day numbers but even at 1k a day like at Christmas we were closing hairdressers and non essential retail. Their decision actually put more on PUP just to have 3 weeks of restaurants open.

A fellow i know earns is living from supplying pubs. He told me that in virtually every pub he went to the only difference between December and normality was no drinking at the bar.

People moving around, no social distancing etc etc etc. I dont blame the govt for this. I blame the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

newboard wrote: »
    With the current high numbers relating to a backlog, are there estimates for what the new daily cases happening now are?

About 5,000 per day. 5-day-avg swabs are at 5,246 positives, so knock off 5-10% for retests. Although it's not clear how private testing factors into this and the backlog makes it murkier.
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1346463610319429633?s=20

I don't understand this. Why would they not be happy? Because it makes them look bad?

Didn't MM say initially the surge was being driven by the new strain, then the tweet countered this, and now it looks like the new strain is becoming more dominant. So yeah, probably made them look bad.

While my thoughts in mid-december would have been labelled doom-mongering, I certainly didn't think it would go as high as it has and as fast as it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Will Yam wrote: »
    I’m not too sure about that. For example DUndrum sc was open all last week, thronged with young adults, sitting on steps etc, drinking takeaway coffee and eating donuts.

So close the coffee shops and this is what happens.

I think at these numbers nearly anything that congregates people contributes to the spread unfortunately. I think at the numbers we had at start of December, we'd have been ok with it. It definitely has an effect of course, but I don't really think it's something that drives it through the roof, especially if all the safety protocols are adhered to like masks, sanitising, capacity limits

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Can you quote even one reputable source that said our cases would be 5,000/6,000 a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

They're outdoors. Construction should absolutely stay open. It's low risk as regards Covid, and keeps 100,000 people off PUP. Also keeps some vital infrastructure projects afloat and has a big knock on effect on the economy. Not worth it to close it in my opinion.

Ill be delighted if they keep them off for a while anyway as there making my commute to work a joke.

Every morning I am working early and the luas is packed with fellas going to sites in town half of them don't wear masks they literally sit on top of you as well. Coughing all over the place and hanging around in groups everywhere I see them.

Some of the ****e talk out of them when I have the pleasure of over hearing them as well about how the virus isn't real etc.

Lets be honest every industry where there are large numbers working together in close capacity everyday have had outbreaks where just not hearing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I personally feel it will be after the February midterm they'll be back but we couldn't possibly speculate.

Would they ever announce it ffs instead of this holy show dragging on for ages and ages.

Teachers, parents and students on the line, nobody knowing what to do or what to expect or whether to make plans. It's murder.

Leo the leak?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

GooglePlus wrote: »
    FF Twitter just announced that schools are to be closed until the end of the month and then deleted the tweet. Obviously posted prematurely.

The government has more leaks than the water system.
    All we are waiting on now is a lord of the rings poem from varadkar and we are all set.
    Turn the clock back to March lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

We had various people say to us over Christmas- "now I know you aren't having visitors so I'll only pop in for 10 minutes"

I also had a woman down the road talk to me for fifteen minutes about how she was the most careful person around, how everyone else was breaking the rules and how she was being extra cautious - then she invited me in for a cup of tea.

Was this her?

Mrs_Doyle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

I genuinely don't think 'well meaning' can be considered 'patronising' in thus case Gruffalux. The poster is on here every waking hour from what i can see, relentlessly looking for advice, and I would think she's sending most people a clear signal that she is living in a frantic and hysterical state 24/7. In that regard I agree with you that she's "up to high doh", but shes asking questions so has to live with the well meant answers.
    I wasn't asking for advice.
    That's a first.
    "well-meant"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Many people posted in late November that opening up to the extent that we did would see high numbers (as high as 2000 cases a day maybe) by the new year. We were wrong. Its much worse.
    That was the line, was it? 2000 cases a day would have been fine, but 3000 isn't.. Oh, if only we'd known, we would have been so much more careful...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I agree no one could see this coming.

Many people posted in late November that opening up to the extent that we did would see high numbers (as high as 2000 cases a day maybe) by the new year. We were wrong. Its much worse.

The constant downplaying of public health advice and demonising of public health officials on here and elsewhere surely didn't help?

That was the angle the lobby groups went for and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

growleaves wrote: »
    That's awful. Did the tea at least taste nice?

It was Barry's. I'd be more of a Lyons man myself. But sure once the wine was opened that was quickly forgotten

The constant downplaying of public health advice and demonising of public health officials on here and elsewhere surely didn't help?

That was the angle the lobby groups went for and it worked.

What lobby groups do you speak of.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

That's a first.

No-one has to be a health professional to say that it can't be healthy.

Feel free to put me on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Mr Martin said: "By the end of February we will have 135,000 people vaccinated with two doses."

Thats a bit depressing to hear. Thought the other vaccines would materialise a bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There is no point in having the current closed meeting process to decide government policy. With the amount of leaks emerging they should just live stream the proceedings so that we all get the info at the same time.

Gob****e politicians undermining their own process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

niallo27 wrote: »
    What lobby groups do you speak of.

Did I say lobby groups? I meant posters. Specifically though people like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ger Roe wrote: »
    There is no point in having the current closed meeting process to decide government policy. With the amount of leaks emerging they should just live stream the proceedings so that we all get the info at the same time.

I wouldn’t go robbing a bank with any of them that’s for sure

Did I say lobby groups? I meant posters. Specifically though people like yourself.

So its my fault we are at 6k cases, I never got the virus or spread it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Ger Roe wrote: »

That was something that struck me a few weeks back when the NI assembly were meeting to decide on whether to ban flights from the UK - nobody had any idea what would come out of it as there were no leaks.

Here the whole lot of them must spend their time texting journalists during the cabinet meetings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

No fighting everyone.

The swabs will be here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ill be delighted if they keep them off for a while anyway as there making my commute to work a joke.

Every morning I am working early and the luas is packed with fellas going to sites in town half of them don't wear masks they literally sit on top of you as well. Coughing all over the place and hanging around in groups everywhere I see them.

Some of the ****e talk out of them when I have the pleasure of over hearing them as well about how the virus isn't real etc.

Lets be honest every industry where there are large numbers working together in close capacity everyday have had outbreaks where just not hearing about them.

So...100,000 people need to be put on PUP to make your commute to work easier? What I've gathered from your post is more enforcement is needed on the LUAS re mask wearing and distancing.
    Unfortunately the crying wolf of NPHET, mainstream media and Zero Covid professor group from June to Oct over 0-4 daily cases - stating their 'concern' and that the next 10 days were crucial...locking down counties in the summer with empty hospitals over 85 out of 88 asymptomatic cases in a meat plant, led to a certain section of society being led down the Conspiracy Theory route.
    People should be able to think critically and see above the misinformation being spouted by the 'plandemic' group but when a scapegoat is needed, anything or anyone will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BIL works for a medical device company ( among the products are ventilators) several outbreaks still working away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement