Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Will Yam wrote: »
    Sorry, maybe I didnt ask the right question.

If I test positive today, and I’m asked how many contacts i have had, how far back do i have to go?
    The standard is 2 days, although there were plans to go back further as part of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »
    They have absolutely no right to be in the room. They are not, I repeat not, a statutory body and if Donnelly wanted to he could dissolve them in the morning.

It’s like some actually think Nphet were elected to run the country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sorry, maybe I didnt ask the right question.

If I test positive today, and I’m asked how many contacts i have had, how far back do i have to go?

Just had experience of this (....twice....) today!

All HSE contact tracers want to know is your contacts 48 hours before (and since) you were symptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bluefivetwo23

What is the current rules for work places? I’m currently working in a hospitality setting open for takeaway and there is no distancing between staff. We are pretty much right beside each other as we were prior to covid. Masks are only worn front of house and then not at all in the back.

The cafe itself can get very busy with groups of people waiting to order and then collect orders. I’m genuinely concerned about going back now considering the incidence rate of the area I work in. I don’t know if it’s worth my while even working at all now in that setting and risking contracting covid and giving it to older family members but obviously at the same time need to earn money.

Feel very stuck between a rock and a hard place. Takeaway only should not involve people waiting inside and working almost on top of other coworkers it’s ridiculous and should not be happening considering other settings where staff actually can distance have stronger measures/have been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why would that have mattered, they are there to give advice. If they had advised it, we would probably have half the cases we have now.

They advised not to open restaurants and government ignored it. Government had their own idea of what was considered acceptable and anything NPHET would have said wouldn't have mattered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just had experience of this (....twice....) today!

All HSE contact tracers want to know is your contacts 48 hours before (and since) you were symptomatic.

So a contacts log of 20/30 people means 20/30 in the last 2 days or so?

I’m leading a very deprived life.

I think the max I could whistle up for any 2 day period is 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I saw one group of builders next to a site huddled in a tight circle having their lunch.

Stuff like that will get construction closed. Behaviour outside the sites by builders rather than the site itself.

They're outdoors. Construction should absolutely stay open. It's low risk as regards Covid, and keeps 100,000 people off PUP. Also keeps some vital infrastructure projects afloat and has a big knock on effect on the economy. Not worth it to close it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Same as that, I'd say on average I have 0 contacts outside the people in my house, but then again, I'm working from home. I can imagine people not working from home would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

titan18 wrote: »
    They advised not to open restaurants and government ignored it. Government had their own idea of what was considered acceptable and anything NPHET would have said wouldn't have mattered

That's not what i asked though, i asked about retail. What was their advice there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What is the current rules for work places? I’m currently working in a hospitality setting open for takeaway and there is no distancing between staff. We are pretty much right beside each other as we were prior to covid. Masks are only worn front of house and then not at all in the back.

The cafe itself can get very busy with groups of people waiting to order and then collect orders. I’m genuinely concerned about going back now considering the incidence rate of the area I work in. I don’t know if it’s worth my while even working at all now in that setting and risking contracting covid and giving it to older family members but obviously at the same time need to earn money.

Feel very stuck between a rock and a hard place. Takeaway only should not involve people waiting inside and working almost on top of other coworkers it’s ridiculous and should not be happening considering other settings where staff actually can distance have stronger measures/have been closed.

Sorry to hear this. I think every workplace that remains open is a risk at the moment. Not sure what to do myself because if we leave our jobs, we can't get the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I've 5 contacts in the last 48 hours and 3 of those are because I have gone back to work and I'm not sure if they would count as contacts. 2 of my contacts I live with.

I could go back to about 19 December before I got to 10 contacts.

The government has to take a balanced decision, weighing up various things like employment, the public being dog tired of Covid etc etc.

They dont have the luxury of solely focussing on Covid transmission. If they did they would close the country down permanently until 75% of the country was vaccinated.

That said, had they, - or anyone else, including NPHET - had any inkling of the eventual explosion in numbers they probably would have taken a different decision.

But they hadn’t and they didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

HSE would do 48 hours before symptoms, iirc. You could always go further than the HSE's bare minimum approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

We had various people say to us over Christmas- "now I know you aren't having visitors so I'll only pop in for 10 minutes"

I also had a woman down the road talk to me for fifteen minutes about how she was the most careful person around, how everyone else was breaking the rules and how she was being extra cautious - then she invited me in for a cup of tea.

That's awful. Did the tea at least taste nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

40 to 50 during my working day, but I’m confident in the systems and measures we have in place since last March.

Same as that, I'd say on average I have 0 contacts outside the people in my house, but then again, I'm working from home. I can imagine people not working from home would be different.

Between Christmas and new year?

They're outdoors. Construction should absolutely stay open. It's low risk as regards Covid, and keeps 100,000 people off PUP. Also keeps some vital infrastructure projects afloat and has a big knock on effect on the economy. Not worth it to close it in my opinion.

10 people huddled together in a tight knot is stupid whether they are indoors or outdoors.

4 people travelling together in a car to a site likewise.

Behaviour outside a site is just as important as behaviour inside a site.

If builders play the stupid card they cant stay open.

That's not what i asked though, i asked about retail. What was their advice there.

Fair enough. My personal opinion is that retail doesn't contribute to the spread as much as hospitality. At these numbers I'd close it just cos too many people have it but I'm pretty ok with it being open at several hundred cases a day, although would like shops to enforce limits of people in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I got a bit of abuse other day for using that word, but yes i agree nobody could have seen this coming.

Plenty of people saw this coming, they were just shouted down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1346463610319429633?s=20

I don't understand this. Why would they not be happy? Because it makes them look bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It is hilarious the spin to try blame the very people who warned.

"They should have warned more!"

The gov has fvcked up royally. It happens. I'm all for moving on but the revisionist history is hilarious.

12 cafes of Christmas is a nice idea to support local businesses but it is stupid and reckless in the extreme during a pandemic.

Eating and drinking indoors is dumb in a pandemic with an airborne pathogen that spreads readily. Get take out.

https://twitter.com/josephamadigan/status/1338130051322277889?s=20

https://twitter.com/josephamadigan/status/1346117983710687235?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

With the current high numbers relating to a backlog, are there estimates for what the new daily cases happening now are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

10 people huddled together in a tight knot is stupid whether they are indoors or outdoors.

4 people travelling together in a car to a site likewise.

Behaviour outside a site is just as important as behaviour inside a site.

If builders play the stupid card they cant stay open.

You're relying on one anecdotal sighting in this case. I've heard of very strict conditions on sites, zero tolerance approach taken if anyone doesn't follow the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bluefivetwo23

Sorry to hear this. I think every workplace that remains open is a risk at the moment. Not sure what to do myself because if we leave our jobs, we can't get the dole.

I really feel this is a whole area that is just being ignored. I would have zero issue if take away only was confined to places that are drive thru or where customers collect at a hatch but where I work that is not the case and it can get very busy and full of people.

If social distancing was adhered to there would only be room for two members of staff. At most times in that space there is usually 6 members of staff as it’s still that busy. I am very stressed now and I don’t know what to do.

I don’t want to risk family members health for a tenner an hour but at the same time need some sort of income. If distancing measures were enforced and customers remained outside or very limited in numbers it would be fine but that just won’t happen because the company don’t care as long as the moneys coming

Fair enough. My personal opinion is that retail doesn't contribute to the spread as much as hospitality. At these numbers I'd close it just cos too many people have it but I'm pretty ok with it being open at several hundred cases a day, although would like shops to enforce limits of people in them.

I’m not too sure about that. For example DUndrum sc was open all last week, thronged with young adults, sitting on steps etc, drinking takeaway coffee and eating donuts.

So close the coffee shops and this is what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

How do they all get to work? Piled into a van? . Movement and contact is what is being stopped now - construction workers have to move and contact, so they are in the same boat as everyone else.

I got a bit of abuse other day for using that word, but yes i agree nobody could have seen this coming.

I agree no one could see this coming.

Many people posted in late November that opening up to the extent that we did would see high numbers (as high as 2000 cases a day maybe) by the new year. We were wrong. Its much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

German press calling the EU vaccine procurement a mess.

I guess by May/June our own media will start to criticise the EU when they cant go on holidays abroad.

https://m.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-inland/with-this-letter-by-jens-spahn-the-vaccine-disaster-in-the-eu-begann-74736986,view=amp.bildMobile.html?__twitter_impression=true

The government has to take a balanced decision, weighing up various things like employment, the public being dog tired of Covid etc etc.

They dont have the luxury of solely focussing on Covid transmission. If they did they would close the country down permanently until 75% of the country was vaccinated.

That said, had they, - or anyone else, including NPHET - had any inkling of the eventual explosion in numbers they probably would have taken a different decision.

But they hadn’t and they didnt.

True, but even NPHET said cases would increase a lot with opening them. Might not have foreseen 6k a day numbers but even at 1k a day like at Christmas we were closing hairdressers and non essential retail. Their decision actually put more on PUP just to have 3 weeks of restaurants open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I’m not too sure about that. For example DUndrum sc was open all last week, thronged with young adults, sitting on steps etc, drinking takeaway coffee and eating donuts.

So close the coffee shops and this is what happens.

Shopping centres seem like quite a different proposition to me than individual shops on a street.

They were treated differently back at the start, but there's been no distinction on them since.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement