Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

cronos wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Growth Stocks that haven't taken off yet?

I'll tell you after they have taken off lol. There are thousands of growth stocks, that might take off, it takes plenty of homework, and strong element of luck to find a winner, and finally but equally as importantly it takes a serious persistent conviction that that stock is gonna go up no matter what lol, and ride out the emotional rollercoaster. I managed to tick all 3 boxes with NIO, and certainly was a very strong element of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

Definitely more diversified than some here, the main one i want to grow long term is live nation but I'm waiting for a pullback, maybe when they post their next earnings...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

AmberGold wrote: »
    After significant gains last year I've gone against my inner voice and best practice to go all in on PSTH bar some holdings in smaller SPACs, NIO and Crypto.
    Not exactly a split to be proud of......

Needless to say if I (or should I say Bill Ackman) pulls this off ......:D

I might add that if he doesn't I'm close enough to NAV to walk away unscathed other than opportunity cost.
    Mightn't have to wait long. Based on the jump Friday afternoon, someone knows something. Hoping for news in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jams100 wrote: »
    Definitely more diversified than some here, the main one i want to grow long term is live nation but I'm waiting for a pullback, maybe when they post their next earnings...
    Very solid portfolio. Looks like a Global Equities Fund you'd see from any of the fund providers, without having to pay their fees.

If you're interested in Live Nation, you should have a look and buying stock in Madison Square Garden (MSGE). It's obviously a big reopen play, this time last year, the arena and the sports teams (Knicks and Rangers) were all under the same company. Last March they split the two, so you can now buy just the stadium bit. Obviously the stadium hasn't been used since the split, so the stock hasn't moved at all. Once they get games/concerts back, it should start moving fairly quick. It's probably 25% undervalued currently.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/05/05/madison-square-garden-spun-off-its-sport-and-entertainment-businesses-heres-why-both-stocks-are-undervalued-investors-say/?sh=4afa82557599

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Wow. That's class.

May I ask how long you've been investing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say facebook and twitter stock could be in line for a hammering this week... Hopefully nobody here bought the wrong signal stock..

https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1347622177437151233?s=20

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Very solid portfolio. Looks like a Global Equities Fund you'd see from any of the fund providers, without having to pay their fees.

If you're interested in Live Nation, you should have a look and buying stock in Madison Square Garden (MSGE). It's obviously a big reopen play, this time last year, the arena and the sports teams (Knicks and Rangers) were all under the same company. Last March they split the two, so you can now buy just the stadium bit. Obviously the stadium hasn't been used since the split, so the stock hasn't moved at all. Once they get games/concerts back, it should start moving fairly quick. It's probably 25% undervalued currently.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/05/05/madison-square-garden-spun-off-its-sport-and-entertainment-businesses-heres-why-both-stocks-are-undervalued-investors-say/?sh=4afa82557599

Cheers, already look at msge, at 2.5 billion market cap i believe its overvalued especially compared to live nation who own the likes of ticketmaster, 3 arena, electric picnic and reading/leeds Festival to name a few and their market cap is 16 billion. They have a complete monopoly both organising the events and then selling the tickets, you've nowhere left to go!

Live nation is at its all time high which I dont think is a good entry point, but long term (5 years) i can see them getting to 20-25 billion market cap). Alot of their shares are owned by institutions

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1186875/

80s Child wrote: »
    Wow. That's class.

May I ask how long you've been investing?

I've only been investing since April, a novice, im trying to build a longer term balanced portfolio (generally avoiding the very risky stocks).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bawa

The LNG trade is set to do well over the next 30 years led by China and other emerging markets that need cheap and semi-clean energy.

The Investing Case for LNG: TGP, HMLP, GLOP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I've only been investing since April, a novice, im trying to build a longer term balanced portfolio (generally avoiding the very risky stocks).

Hugely impressive portfolio for anyone, never mind someone only investing since April.

Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Hyundai up 20% last week on possible tie up with Apple for EV production. P/E now over 40 though. Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Gamma1 wrote: »
    Hyundai up 20% last week on possible tie up with Apple for EV production. P/E now over 40 though. Any views?

Personally I'd wait for it to drop back close to where it was then it might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Mightn't have to wait long. Based on the jump Friday afternoon, someone knows something. Hoping for news in the next few days.

Absolute scenes in here if it takes off

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Green&Red wrote: »
    Absolute scenes in here if it takes off

Any chance Ackman is after Bausch and Lomb eyecare again when it splits from Bausch Healthcare this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Any chance Ackman is after Bausch and Lomb eyecare again when it splits from Bausch Healthcare this month?

Turnover $5Bn, too small for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

I see commercial property is tipped by Blackstone this year. How would one invest in commercial property shares ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

6541 wrote: »
    I see commercial property is tipped by Blackstone this year. How would one invest in commercial property shares ?

Hibernia reit might be of interest to you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Blackstone itself could be worth investing in, they have a large portfolio of commercial property including Blanchardstown Shopping Centre in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

pitrn wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Gevo. Will it go beyond 5 dollar? I have few shares wondering if I should sell or hold.

Gevo. Going well today up 8% to 4.75.

Sold out my my UMC two weeks ago to go into it. Company is involved in advanced biofuels with the airline industry a big target for contract's. Good play on bidens green new deal.

Umc also doing great today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just a purely anecdotical viewpoint but I'm struggling to see how this could be a growth sector, the shift to online shopping has massively increased this year, furthering the blow to retail. And WFH has become mainstream which will surely affect office occupancy rates.

The only commercial sector I can see profitable would be logistics/warehousing. But hey what do I know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

crushproof wrote: »
    Just a purely anecdotical viewpoint but I'm struggling to see how this could be a growth sector, the shift to online shopping has massively increased this year, furthering the blow to retail. And WFH has become mainstream which will surely affect office occupancy rates.

The only commercial sector I can see profitable would be logistics/warehousing. But hey what do I know

Just an absolute amateurs' opinion by myself, but I see it as one the first areas to fall. The amount of deferred payments on commercial real estate has to hit hard once vaccine rollout begins to take shape and we have a clear idea on what business will continue with a work from home policy. Banks are going to want their payments at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Just an absolute amateurs' opinion by myself, but I see it as one the first areas to fall. The amount of deferred payments on commercial real estate has to hit hard once vaccine rollout begins to take shape and we have a clear idea on what business will continue with a work from home policy. Banks are going to want their payments at some stage.

Purely anecdotal but 2 friends already know they are now working from home permanently with both sizeable companies not renewing leases on buildings. I'd wait to see the dust settling on commercial property but I think there are better options out there at the moment to put some money into.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Mara is down 20% today. Really bad day.. Bought few more shares to lower my BEP from 27 to 23 and now it's around 21.37...disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

pitrn wrote: »
    Mara is down 20% today. Really bad day.. Bought few more shares to lower my BEP from 27 to 23 and now it's around 21.37...disappointing

If Mara is related to Bitcoin I wouldn't chase it till things prove they can level off over multiple days. I tried what you are doing back in 2018 and it bit me.

Problem is that if Mara is the company I just looked up it's up 100 percent since 5th of January. Not sustainable really. But if Bitcoin can stabilize these companies will have value. Without stability Bitcoin can't pretend to be a hedge currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Anything related to Bitcoin will see huge swings up/down if previous years are anything to go by and I don't see why it wouldn't remain violate for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭riddles

cronos wrote: »
    If Mara is related to Bitcoin I wouldn't chase it till things prove they can level off over multiple days. I tried what you are doing back in 2018 and it bit me.

Problem is that if Mara is the company I just looked up it's up 100 percent since 5th of January. Not sustainable really. But if Bitcoin can stabilize these companies will have value. Without stability Bitcoin can't pretend to be a hedge currency.

I don't understand bitcoin at all but it seems a little bit of a contradiction to call it a currency. It appears to be a rather illiquid asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭riddles

Gevo. Going well today up 8% to 4.75.

Sold out my my UMC two weeks ago to go into it. Company is involved in advanced biofuels with the airline industry a big target for contract's. Good play on bidens green new deal.

Umc also doing great today.

Gevo has global patents - cleared its debt. It has a pipeline of contracts.
    It currently selling 150 million stock to raise cash and is also waiting on a finalised finance model to fund its expansion plans to deliver on the signed contracts.

Andy Marsh CEO of Plug is on the board of GEVO and Plug were at a SP of where GEVO are today a year ago.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2021/01/04/2152709/0/en/Koch-Project-Solutions-to-Execute-Gevo-Expansion-Projects.html

I made the mistake of selling GEVO for a nice gain and then giving it all back in buying back in.

I now have an uncomfortable amount invested in both Cloud MD and GEVO - hopefully it pays off.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2021/01/04/2152709/0/en/Koch-Project-Solutions-to-Execute-Gevo-Expansion-Projects.html

It should take off pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Gevo has crossed 5 dollar mark..Very tempted to sell. What is your forecast projection?
    Analyst saying max it would go is 5.. unable to find more info...

quote="riddles;115886322"]Gevo has global patents - cleared its debt. It has a pipeline of contracts.
    It currently selling 150 million stock to raise cash and is also waiting on a finalised finance model to fund its expansion plans to deliver on the signed contracts.

Andy Marsh CEO of Plug is on the board of GEVO and Plug were at a SP of where GEVO are today a year ago.

I made the mistake of selling GEVO for a nice gain and then giving it all back in buying back in.

I now have an uncomfortable amount invested in both Cloud MD and GEVO - hopefully it pays off.

It should take off pardon the pun.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Sold $GEVO at $5 for 100% gain. Onwards and upwards for both of us I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Biffoland

Have DEGIRO changed their policy on offering UK investment trusts? Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust (SMT) and Bankers Investment Trust (BNKR) have disappeared. Is this a brexit thing?

Other investment trusts such as City of London and SMTs little brother, Monks, are still available so it seems very inconsistent.

Advertisement