Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Timing belt

crushproof wrote: »
    Just a purely anecdotical viewpoint but I'm struggling to see how this could be a growth sector, the shift to online shopping has massively increased this year, furthering the blow to retail. And WFH has become mainstream which will surely affect office occupancy rates.

The only commercial sector I can see profitable would be logistics/warehousing. But hey what do I know

The stock market has already repriced its yield based on the new low rate interest rate environment (See bellow) where as commercial property has not and hence has significant room to move even when you take into account the damage by covid to the sector.

539168.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Sold Gevo at 5 too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Worth looking into this SPAC right now!

https://stocktwits.com/symbol/CCIV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

cronos wrote: »
    Worth looking into this SPAC right now!

https://stocktwits.com/symbol/CCIV

Very very small position at $12.20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What do people use to track portfolio performance over time? I've a Wallmine account but it doesn't list all stocks.

I'd like something that will show how the value grows over time

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Hi was looking into IAG long term but there’s two options LSE and Madrid. I’d assume LSE is the main one?? Thanks.

Very very small position at $12.20

Well looks like it's going to fly. Hopefully some bought. I averaged up to 12.8 which is a big higher than I'd like but lot's of potential for this one to run in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Sold $GEVO at $5 for 100% gain. Onwards and upwards for both of us I hope!
    I will keep all my gevo for the next 4-5 years and add on the dips.. It's a long play for me with the aim of reaching $50. If it gets even close to this I will have a big tax bill and I will be happy to pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Picked up a few more SPACS today:

APSG (Thanks to TimeToShine)
    PIPP
    RTP

• Advertisement

outonawing wrote: »
    Picked up a few more SPACS today:

APSG (Thanks to TimeToShine)
    PIPP
    RTP

Degiro does not appear to have PIPP sadly. Looking into APSG, already in RTP from an earlier poster and from watching Bloomberg interview. Obviously all quite speculative.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jams100

gudede wrote: »
    Hi was looking into IAG long term but there’s two options LSE and Madrid. I’d assume LSE is the main one?? Thanks.

With the brexit situation id go with Madrid, they are both pretty liquid anyway. I bought with Madrid 4 or 5 months ago

Degiro does not appear to have PIPP sadly. Looking into APSG, already in RTP from an earlier poster and from watching Bloomberg interview. Obviously all quite speculative.

You can request that PIPP is added to available stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jams100 wrote: »
    With the brexit situation id go with Madrid, they are both pretty liquid anyway. I bought with Madrid 4 or 5 months ago

Fairly sure all LSE shares have a 1% stamp duty also?

I have a feeling many people are now just gambling on these spacs. Stick a euro in the slots and see what comes out sort of attitude.

Maybe I just dont know enough about them? These SPACs seem to churned out like pints in temple bar on St. Patrick's day.

Obviously some are just placing a lot of trust in the management of these SPACs? It seems like a pure speculative play. Fair enough if you know who they are merging with. I have gone into several spacs myself but only after doing a good bit of research. As a complete stranger on the Internet I'd caution people to not get carried away with these at the rate they are coming out at I get the feeling there will be many duds.

And yes, I'm well aware some people have done very well from them to date, just do some research is all im saying!

I have a feeling many people are now just gambling on these spacs. Stick a euro in the slots and see what comes out sort of attitude.

Maybe I just dont know enough about them? These SPACs seem to churned out like pints in temple bar on St. Patrick's day.

Obviously some are just placing a lot of trust in the management of these SPACs? It seems like a pure speculative play. Fair enough if you know who they are merging with. I have gone into several spacs myself but only after doing a good bit of research. As a complete stranger on the Internet I'd caution people to not get carried away with these at the rate they are coming out at I get the feeling there will be many duds.

And yes, I'm well aware some people have done very well from them to date, just do some research is all im saying!

Research has gone out the window as it takes time and effort and you could have made money if you invested without doing it. With a rising market people are willing to take the speculative position as it is paying out so now their friends will also join the party.

Once there is enough retail customers with money in the game the big boys will pull the rug on the speculative bets and clean them out. No different to a pool hustler letting someone win a few games before they take them to cleaners on the Big bet.

Research and homework limits the chances of this happening. It pays off in the long run.

If you want to get in at a price close to the NAV then you can't wait till the target is announced or even rumoured these days. It's definitely heavily speculative and based on hopes the management teams don't want to disgrace themselves if they are well known.

I've never subscribed to the theory that investing is not gambling. Carrying out research on intended purchases helps to reduce the likelihood of serious mistakes.

That said, investing always involves risk and undoubtedly SPACS are at the higher end of the risk spectrum. Hence, small positions give the opportunity to benefit from a big winner, without risking a major hit to a portfolio's value..

outonawing wrote: »
    I've never subscribed to the theory that investing is not gambling. Carrying out research on intended purchases helps to reduce the likelihood of serious mistakes.

That said, investing always involves risk and undoubtedly SPACS are at the higher end of the risk spectrum. Hence, small positions give the opportunity to benefit from a big winner, without risking a major hit to a portfolio's value..

That and a lot of the non SPAC's are just crazy valuations. I feel a well managed SPAC would come up with a better valuation mechanism. Things like Airbnb have really put me of the idea of investing in traditional IPO's. All the profits are taken by the investment banks.

I think this way with SPAC's you are just taking on a little extra risk like an investment bank does for a lot extra return. But it could all end badly for sure. But personally I think Tesla and Bitcoin are a lot more risky.

US CPI is out tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. ET.

The market has already priced in 2% inflation... If CPI comes in higher than this then shares likely to rise and bond prices fall.... if it comes in lower bonds prices will rise and share prices drop.

If you are expect inflation to be higher than 2% it might be worth a overnight punt on shorting bonds by buying some TBF.

If you are expecting lower inflation it might be worth a overnight punt on TLT ETF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

crushproof wrote: »
    Just a purely anecdotical viewpoint but I'm struggling to see how this could be a growth sector, the shift to online shopping has massively increased this year, furthering the blow to retail. And WFH has become mainstream which will surely affect office occupancy rates.

The only commercial sector I can see profitable would be logistics/warehousing. But hey what do I know

Resedential property would fall under the scope of these funds, i.e it doesn't necessarily have to be a shop, offices etc.
    If you look at hibernia 13% of their portfolio is Dublin resedential https://www.hiberniareit.com/portfolio#/mapview/all/all/all/all

Personally I'd be inclined to stay away from them at the moment unless you do like op said and look at the likes of blackstone but even then I'd be cautious, we won't really know what's happening until a lot of people and businesses come off government life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Biffoland wrote: »
    Have DEGIRO changed their policy on offering UK investment trusts? Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust (SMT) and Bankers Investment Trust (BNKR) have disappeared. Is this a brexit thing?

Other investment trusts such as City of London and SMTs little brother, Monks, are still available so it seems very inconsistent.

I can't search for SMT but can link directly from here https://trader.degiro.nl/beta-trader/#/products/5274890/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Biffoland wrote: »
    Have DEGIRO changed their policy on offering UK investment trusts? Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust (SMT) and Bankers Investment Trust (BNKR) have disappeared. Is this a brexit thing?

Other investment trusts such as City of London and SMTs little brother, Monks, are still available so it seems very inconsistent.

SMT is a 15% of my portfolio. Saw someone got an email asking about not being able to buy ->

"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, this listing has been closed to limit DEGIRO’s risk exposure. It is possible, however, that this listing will reopen in the future if the risk exposure decreases.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What do people use to track portfolio performance over time? I've a Wallmine account but it doesn't list all stocks.

I'd like something that will show how the value grows over time
    I use Yahoo Finance for individual stocks, then a spreadsheet to track the portfolio growth over time (take down the Yahoo Finance value once a week and month end. I also use bizzarly the Canadian Globe website, as it lets me put in the 30 tickers and show the 5 day, 30 day, 3 months and 6 month performance easily. Look at that every few weeks for a reality check

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Every analyst and stock picking site has had that thought over the past year, how can you just give money to a fund that you've no idea what they'll buy with it. Most have changed their tune, but have also made sure to stick with the proper SPAC sponsors. I wouldn't go too far outside Chamath/Achman/Churchill. They're safe bets. Some of the other ones have little or no history, so are more of a gamble.

So far the returns have been pretty easy for most. I've only seen one crash below its $10 price, so once you buy at $10-$12 you're fairly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭riddles

I will keep all my gevo for the next 4-5 years and add on the dips.. It's a long play for me with the aim of reaching $50. If it gets even close to this I will have a big tax bill and I will be happy to pay it

Plus 7% on the Frankfurt exchange this morning - some fresh PR and it can keep moving before a pull back - but if it stays north of 5$ it will get a lot more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Has anyone got an opinion on Li Auto..are they the next tesla? Of China

I think this way with SPAC's you are just taking on a little extra risk like an investment bank does for a lot extra return. But it could all end badly for sure. But personally I think Tesla and Bitcoin are a lot more risky.

You can't compare a punt on the likes of APSG to what an investment bank does. Look I'm probably going down a different route to the likes of yourself, there's not a chance I'd "invest or "trade" in a company that you know nothing about. I'm not saying you or other people won't make money but to suggest its a little extra risk is an understatement.

Of course Tesla and the likes of Zoom are overvalued but just because they are overvalued that doesn't have any real correlation on these SPAC's. I'm not saying all SPAC's are going to do bad I'm saying some people hear there is a new SPAC out I'll jump into that and see what happens.

And not all equities are overvalued btw, you just have to look much harder now than you did 3 or 4 months ago

butrasgali wrote: »
    Has anyone got an opinion on Li Auto..are they the next tesla? Of China

I'd settle for the next NIO, tbh. :D

• Advertisement

TYME (sm-88 cancer drug trial company) doing well for me the last week or so. Didn't want to mention it in case... my last tip was Edesa which is only slowly recovering.

Advertisement