Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Would hate to have to spend Christmas stuck in the U.K.
    Sucks for those alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Has anyone tried cancelling flights with Aer Lingus? I've return flights to Belfast booked for Wednesday evening. As much as I want to go home and as badly as I need a break, I think the right thing to do would be to stay and cancel them as I'd be crossing the border on my trip home. I've been putting it off but I'm approaching the 48-hour window here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Has anyone tried cancelling flights with Aer Lingus? I've return flights to Belfast booked for Wednesday evening. As much as I want to go home and as badly as I need a break, I think the right thing to do would be to stay and cancel them as I'd be crossing the border on my trip home. I've been putting it off but I'm approaching the 48-hour window here.

I haven’t personally, but from their tweet last night they seem to be giving refunds or vouchers without question to anyone cancelling a flight to or from the UK!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I haven’t personally, but from their tweet last night they seem to be giving refunds or vouchers without question to anyone cancelling a flight to or from the UK!

Let's hope that includes regional flights.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

GarIT wrote: »
    Bus full of 50-80 builders from NI employed by South Dublin country council arrived in Tallaght this morning as usual, same as all throughout L5.

you're allowed to travel for work just like you were in L5

• Advertisement

Are you travelling from Scotland or a tier 4 area?

Are you travelling from Scotland or a tier 4 area?

London. Tier 4. If it was anywhere else, I'd go no bother. I spend most of my time alone but I don't think I can justify going solely on the merits of that.

H. H. Asquith

London. Tier 4. If it was anywhere else, I'd go no bother. I spend most of my time alone but I don't think I can justify going solely on the merits of that.

You’d be entitled to a refund then, wouldn’t you?

It really is **** but just keep telling yourself “it’s just one day” Dunno where in London you are but my sister is happy to cook a dinner for anyone in her area. She’s an amazing cook too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

It’s fairly simple. Northern Irish politics is dysfunctional.. The DUP only sees the world through the lens of paranoia about “Dublin” or sectarianism. If there’s a deadly virus in London, they’ll see it as their patriotic duty to ensure that Northern Ireland’s fully in line with the “mainland” and that they get it too.

Unfortunately, we’re relying on a bunch of dogmatists, most of whom seem to not be overly fond of science, to control policy in a pandemic.

I mean why would anyone in their right mind want to risk this?! A 48 hour pause to consider the situation is a very reasonable response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

ElJeffe wrote: »
    London alone had over 11,000 new cases yesterday of the virus. This isn't scremongering.

I don't think anybody is questioning the dire state of affairs over there.

But it is still reasonable to say we don't have enough data to determine whether it is due to the new strain of the virus (of which there are already very many strains which have so far had no observable impact on transmission), or if it's due to the massive amount of overcrowded Christmas shoppers and parties in the wake of confusing and inadequate lockdown measures and messaging from the Tory government.

It makes for a very convenient excuse to be played up by a government with a proven history of lying and doing anything they can to shift blame away from themselves. There is data showing correlation, but not necessarily causation as it can't yet be fully separated from behavioural changes that were happening around the same time that the new strain emerged. But it was enough for the government over there to jump on it as an excuse to absolve themselves of all responsibility.

Other governments including our own have done the responsible thing in stopping travel until we know more, which I think is why it's for a limited period like 48 hours for now, while more data is gathered.

1229965588-2.jpg?width=1368

It just seems awfully coincidental that a new superstrain appeared and that's what is responsible for the increased spread right at the same time and place as the above was happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭gral6

Will this ridiculous jerk knee reaction ever stop? Will politicians ever grow some brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It’s all gone Pete tong since Dominic left.

freight to resume in the next "few hours"
    from the guardian
    The French government has said that “in the next few hours” it will establish a “protocol to ensure that movement from the UK can resume”.

https://twitter.com/FranceintheUK/status/1340964850839810049

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

freight to resume in the next "few hours"
    from the guardian

https://twitter.com/FranceintheUK/status/1340964850839810049

wonder will this cover foot travel also, or is it just "we need freight, people can wait"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

bennyl10 wrote: »
    wonder will this cover foot travel also, or is it just "we need freight, people can wait"

Well they can, can't they? People were told not to travel unless it was essential. Going to London on a jolly or coming home to do the 12 pubs is not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Heard Eamon on the radio there, they believe they may have to extend the travel ban.....

Why wasn't this done back at the 1st pandemic as in shut China out completely.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This strain was first detected in September, why is everyone going crazy all of a sudden? It’s just more media driven hysteria. It’s already far too late to ban travel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Multipass wrote: »
    This strain was first detected in September, why is everyone going crazy all of a sudden? It’s just more media driven hysteria. It’s already far too late to ban travel.

Mutations happen. If there's no evidence the virus's behaviour changes it doesn't matter.

So the mutation was detected ages ago. Now the UK government are claiming its more transmissible than the other version.

I do agree that it may be too late to ban travel. On the other hand they may as well do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If it's been in the UK for the past three months, it's very difficult to assume we don't have it here. That said, under EU Covid travel restrictions, the UK might as well be Namibia in ten days time, as in travel isn't permitted from outside the EU apart from Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, and China. So given the circumstances, it does seems an opportune time to start rolling out that travel ban.

Multipass wrote: »

Well, thank god you’re not the one making decisions anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

you're allowed to travel for work just like you were in L5

I know but I don't believe that should be the case when you are coming from one of the most infected areas in Europe (as they were a few months ago) or now when this super covid may be there and we have banned travel to GB.

Tallaght has also on and off been the worst infected area in Ireland.

Does anyone read these days. The results of a study showing this to be 70% more contagious than normal covid was published Friday or Saturday.

Nations saw UK had Super Coivd and responded appropriately.

Sure it might already be here. But if we don't slow it down, we will be spending 2021 in lockdown.

It's stop travel or lock people in their homes. We have gone for stop travel.

I was talking to someone in London who said on some heavily infected streets the military are preventing people leaving their homes. Don't know how true that is.

Heard Eamon on the radio there, they believe they may have to extend the travel ban.....

Why wasn't this done back at the 1st pandemic as in shut China out completely.....

Because not many Chinese come here. China had a much lower infection rate per head. China wasn't letting most people leave.

And most importantly China didn't have Super Covid.

gral6 wrote: »
    Will this ridiculous jerk knee reaction ever stop? Will politicians ever grow some brain?

We have had about as much reaction as a dead fish in the past. No knee jerk reactions before yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Well, thank god you’re not the one making decisions anyway.

Yeah God chose our leaders well. I have no faith in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Does anyone read these days. The results of a study showing this to be 70% more contagious than normal covid was published Friday or Saturday.

Sure it might already be here. But if we don't slow it down, we will be spending 2021 in lockdown.

I was talking to someone in London who said on some heavily infected streets the military are preventing people leaving their homes. Don't know how true that is.
    I'm sure plenty of people read, do you read what other EU member states are currently asking for ?

What the UK published countries took at face value. What they want now is the data behind it and how they got to the conclusion of what they published. So far that isn't forthcoming.

Thats the ask of EU countries and now even Scotland.. show us the raw data and not just your conclusion. A very reasonable request no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have you a link to that study with the 70% in it? All there seems out there is a paper that says "in theory".

I'm sure plenty of people read, do you read what other EU member states are currently asking for ?

What the UK published countries took at face value. What they want now is the data behind it and how they got to the conclusion of what they published. So far that isn't forthcoming.

Thats the ask of EU countries and now even Scotland.. show us the raw data and not just your conclusion. A very reasonable request no ?

That was particularly in response to people asking why are we reacting now when we haven't reacted before.

So yes I agree with your post.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Have you a link to that study with the 70% in it? All there seems out there is a paper that says "in theory".

It is "up to" rather than 70% and I don't have a link to the study. Was on 9pm.news last night, confirmed by NPHET, UL and ECDC.

Advertisement