Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

You don't need a subscription to read the Telegraph's premium articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You don't need a subscription to read the Telegraph's premium articles.

True, you can right click on the page with the article in question - just go lightning fast to it at the homepage before it locks with the subscribe message - and then...

Not sure if I can say it here though, I mean it is technically theft I guess :pac:

That’s a lot of the chat in the UK this evening, and being reported even in the NYT, that the 70% number is completely unscientific and based on modelling that can’t differentiate adequately between behavioural factors and virus transmissibility. And in playing this up in an attempt to scare people into complying with the rules, all Johnson has done is drive tens of thousands of people out of London to all over the country, and scared the EU into cutting Britain off until they work out what the actual truth is.

I would guess that the freight ban will be lifted in 48 hours and the personal travel ban will be in place to the 26th, just to stop people travelling for Christmas. And then will resume, possibly with a testing protocol (which would be a good thing in any case)

A lot of scaremongering about this, and people seeming to be trying to play it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Wouldn't anyone coming home this week be way too late to quarantine? Bit surprised by RTE coverage on it. Are travelers not really doing the quarantine considering it's just an honour system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

theguzman wrote: »
    Does anyone here feel in as much a state of worry and absolute despair since the last week of February and early March again? I hope to god the vaccines work or can be tweaked to work on this.

I said this to my Wife last night. Its beginning to have the same overwhelming feeling again since the first lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So it's still an option to fly into NI.
    What a joke of a situation. If this is not fought on an all island basis it's a waste of time. This pandemic will succeed because of the lack of leadership in most governments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

That’s a lot of the chat in the UK this evening, and being reported even in the NYT, that the 70% number is completely unscientific and based on modelling that can’t differentiate adequately between behavioural factors and virus transmissibility. And in playing this up in an attempt to scare people into complying with the rules, all Johnson has done is drive tens of thousands of people out of London to all over the country, and scared the EU into cutting Britain off until they work out what the actual truth is.

I would guess that the freight ban will be lifted in 48 hours and the personal travel ban will be in place to the 26th, just to stop people travelling for Christmas. And then will resume, possibly with a testing protocol (which would be a good thing in any case)

A lot of scaremongering about this, and people seeming to be trying to play it up

London alone had over 11,000 new cases yesterday of the virus. This isn't scremongering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

vetinari wrote: »
    Wouldn't anyone coming home this week be way too late to quarantine? Bit surprised by RTE coverage on it. Are travelers not really doing the quarantine considering it's just an honour system?

I work in public transport. People are coming in off trains from Dublin all weekend with the airline tags still on their luggage. A lot of people.

Everyone thinks they are the exception to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well if that’s the case Britain will be shaking in its boots from today as this looks to create absolute chaos for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

vetinari wrote: »

They don't care

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

GT89 wrote: »
    A much bigger threat to our society than Covid or Brexit. The migrants crossing the channel in their dingys are free to come here and claim asylum this is something that needs more coverage in Ireland. If people think covid could kill their grandmother or mother then they should also think that migrants have the potential to murder and rape their daughter, gf, wife or sister. I don't meant to sound alarmist but all you have to look at is the Cologne NYE rapes in 2016 to think what could happen if we don't tighten our borders.

Mod:

Quite what this has to do with the topic being discussed is beyond me. Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I'd expect a run on continental Europe sourced fruit and veg tomorrow with shelves empty by Tuesday.

We'll be cracking each others heads open and feasting on the goo inside by Wednesday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Surprisingly Australia are not baring flight's from the uk.
    Sighting the information released by the uk on the increase transmission of the new variant solely could not explain the growth in new cases in the UK.
    Existing quarantine in place would suffice until clearer information is provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I work in public transport. People are coming in off trains from Dublin all weekend with the airline tags still on their luggage. A lot of people.

Everyone thinks they are the exception to the rules.

Air travel is down by around 90% on last year so it's a lot fewer people than usual. With a ban on passenger flights and ferries between Great Britain and Ireland it will be fewer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Seems to be more and more questions getting asked of the UK every hour. The information they've released is very limited, EU countries have requested the data for themselves, so far it isn't forthcoming. Question marks building as you say over the 70% figure.

More evidence needed so a long road to travel here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Seems to be more and more questions getting asked of the UK every hour. The information they've released is very limited, EU countries have requested the data for themselves, so far it isn't forthcoming. Question marks building as you say over the 70% figure.

Akin to the unprepared student for a test pressing the fire alarm to evacuate the school and distract from the actual situation. The U.K. may end up being exposed here!! But until the facts are determined - extreme caution seems to be the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This 2 day air travel ban already starting to cause more chaos than it's worth.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This 2 day air travel ban already starting to cause more chaos than it's worth.

How?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I read the telegraph every Saturday (don't shoot me), and it really bugs me the emphasis on travel and getting away. It's constant throughout the paper. Why this need to leave GB so much?

I realise the travel industry needs customers but there has to come a stage where people stop insisting on holidays and hold tough for the time being.

The first lockdown had been barely lifted and the crowds we're heading for Majorca france etc with no regard for anyone but themselves.

There’s a number of Facebook groups for my area in Spain that mostly has British members posting. You should see the crap that’s posted. The sense of entitlement and belief that Spain needs the U.K. more than the U.K. needs Spain

Winds them up no end when I keep referring to the British in Spain as migrants (the proper term) rather than expats.

Posts exploded last night with people panicking about not being able to get to their holiday homes and how “ridiculous” it all is.

I reminded them that the same thing happened when the EU opened its borders in the summer, many countries didn’t want the U.K. then too

In summary, there is a huge sense of complacency which I personally believe comes from the lack of seriousness in handling the pandemic in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ZX7R wrote: »
    Surprisingly Australia are not baring flight's from the

Not really, they go into strict quarantine for 2 weeks regardless.

Also their borders are firmly closed apart from a select few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Boggles wrote: »

Our border is a joke. Especially the clowns running it on the other side. Northern Ireland closes up on the 27th, we close up on the 30th.no brainer to guess where alot of visitors will be heading for their eating and drinking. The whole thing is one farce after another trying to stop a pandemic on a totally split island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Boggles wrote: »

The point is, regardless of flight bans or not .
    They don't believe the evidence that UK government released

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Bus full of 50-80 builders from NI employed by South Dublin country council arrived in Tallaght this morning as usual, same as all throughout L5.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ZX7R wrote: »
    The point is, regardless of flight bans or not .
    They don't believe the evidence that UK government released

The point is they can ponder what ever evidence or lack of evidence there is.

They have some of the strictest border controls in the world, they have the luxury of time.

You questioned why they haven't closed off air traffic to the UK.

The reason is they have the measures in place so they don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

faceman wrote: »
    There’s a number of Facebook groups for my area in Spain that mostly has British members posting. You should see the crap that’s posted. The sense of entitlement and belief that Spain needs the U.K. more than the U.K. needs Spain

Winds them up no end when I keep referring to the British in Spain as migrants (the proper term) rather than expats.

Posts exploded last night with people panicking about not being able to get to their holiday homes and how “ridiculous” it all is.

I reminded them that the same thing happened when the EU opened its borders in the summer, many countries didn’t want the U.K. then too

In summary, there is a huge sense of complacency which I personally believe comes from the lack of seriousness in handling the pandemic in the U.K.

I read threads on mumsnet now and again. The sense of entitlement when it comes to travel is absolutely jaw dropping. I hope that site isn't representative of the general British population, because there seems to be no sense of societal responsibility or concern for the risk they bring with them to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

faceman wrote: »

Complacency is not unique to the UK unfortunately.

• From what I’ve read (I’m glad I didn’t wait up to find out) NI have sought advice from the attorney general on how legal it is to actually ban travel from GB, so it’s not a hard no, they’re not even sure they can.

About what I expected, I wasn’t sure myself if they’d legally have the authority to close off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭volchitsa

From what I’ve read (I’m glad I didn’t wait up to find out) NI have sought advice from the attorney general on how legal it is to actually ban travel from GB, so it’s not a hard no, they’re not even sure they can.

About what I expected, I wasn’t sure myself if they’d legally have the authority to close off.

Can’t they just break the law in a limited and specified way? Westminster’s fine with that it seems.

• volchitsa wrote: »
    Can’t they just break the law in a limited and specified way? Westminster’s fine with that it seems.

In fairness given the state of NI one would think they’d rather avoid soaking London’s cornflakes in fresh píss if they can avoid it.

Granted, this could well just be looking to blame some law no one cares about so they’re (both NI & London) not the bad guys.

“Don’t blame us guys, it’s the law!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

From what I’ve read (I’m glad I didn’t wait up to find out) NI have sought advice from the attorney general on how legal it is to actually ban travel from GB, so it’s not a hard no, they’re not even sure they can.

Scotland can do it,
    surely NI can

Advertisement