Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

You actually believe the figures from China....
    They should have been shut down and we should be taking business elsewhere.

They make pretty much everything, where else will we go?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Northern Ireland response now seems to suggest that a zero-Covid island approach was never a realistic approach for us.

So our choice is/was restrict crossings at the border, or appeal to people's better nature to not go Britain > Northern Ireland > Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Beasty wrote: »
    Everything I've heard so far is they expect it will

Let us hope so. Let us really hope so. And very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hopefully all testing to be done on the British side, Irish government should be allowing flights but only with Irish citizens as passengers with a negative test before.

We will be circa 1400 cases a day by second week of Jan with the intermingling that will be happening over the next 2 weeks, hospitals need to be prepared now for the inevitable uptick in patients.

Yeah testing would help rather than the pinky promise we currently have. Germany picking up positives from people going there from UK. Unclear if it's the new variant.

https://twitter.com/KlimaZen/status/1341027519995256834?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Spain has just issued a ban on flights which means that's every EU country now I think.

US to make a decision soon, probably today. They say they are assessing the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Spain has just issued a ban on flights which means that's every EU country now I think.

US to make a decision soon, probably today. They say they are assessing the situation.

Yeah the border is a major issue for us now (when wasn't it). If we don't stop travel between the north and south and the north don't stop travel to UK then we will also be cut off from essentially the rest of the world. Dreadful situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Aerlingus will be running the flights, they announced it last night.

The Air Corp wouldn't have a plane big enough for passengers

No, Aer Lingus announced that they would be providing special flights to repatriate UK citizens from Ireland back to the UK. There is nothing about getting Irish citizens home.

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/1340743602272657410

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'm currently in Greece and on the way for a ban to be announced this evening.
    Yesterday evening the updated instruction was flights can come in until tonight from UK (there are at least 8-9 every day) but on top of the standard negative pcr test and passenger locator form there is also mandatory rapid test (I reckon they mean the antigen?) and 7 days of mandatory quarantine (although not clear how they check/enforce it).
    I will let you know as soon as the ban is officially announced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Yeah the border is a major issue for us now (when wasn't it). If we don't stop travel between the north and south and the north don't stop travel to UK then we will also be cut off from essentially the rest of the world. Dreadful situation.

At least they have their priorities in order up there

https://twitter.com/BenKellyTweets/status/1341016563009384460?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

faceman wrote: »
    There’s a number of Facebook groups for my area in Spain that mostly has British members posting. You should see the crap that’s posted. The sense of entitlement and belief that Spain needs the U.K. more than the U.K. needs Spain

Winds them up no end when I keep referring to the British in Spain as migrants (the proper term) rather than expats.

Posts exploded last night with people panicking about not being able to get to their holiday homes and how “ridiculous” it all is.

I reminded them that the same thing happened when the EU opened its borders in the summer, many countries didn’t want the U.K. then too

In summary, there is a huge sense of complacency which I personally believe comes from the lack of seriousness in handling the pandemic in the U.K.

This is what I don't get about reading boards and some other Irish media, the UK gets all this attention and the EU is given all this love. But the people saying this stuff clearly only actually pay attention to the UK and don't follow European news.

If the pandemic is not being taken seriously by the UK what the hell does that say about Spain, Italy and France, doesn't Germany have a higher death rate than the UK to at the minute (they had a very good early pandemic though so overall numbers low).
    Take off the inferiority/superiority complex glasses and look at it rationally, if the UK is that terrible at this what's that say about the rest of Europe.

In terms of the French response in terms of this crisis and freight remember France kneejerks and acts ridiculously nationalistic at times, proof of that is the fact that they basically stole Swedish PPE in the height of the first wave, and delayed Spanish and Italian PPE when they were being decimated. Can post news articles if questioned.

Basically get of the high horses y'all sound like Canadians talking about the USA, most large Western European countries have fcuked this up.

Also and this needs to be repeated again and again as it's properly relevant, the UK does a lot of sequencing, most other countries do it less, the horse might have already bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just listening to Boris press conference. Sounds like Europe are playing hard ball with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

bennyl10 wrote: »
    We count as the block for this anyway.

NI is a different question

I mean, do we have to prevent people from NI coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The countries that have banned flights to/from the UK or both so far.

EpxkfekXEAEp6az?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

Deutsche Post DHL, UPS (excl. Express) and DPD have suspended services from mainland Europe to Ireland.

We're effectively a part of the UK as far as logistics are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

VG31 wrote: »
    Deutsche Post DHL, UPS (excl. Express) and DPD have suspended services from mainland Europe to Ireland.

And to add to that FedEx Economy and Austrian Post. No doubt there is many more as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just listening to Boris press conference. Sounds like Europe are playing hard ball with them.

Did he use the phrase hard ball ? Is it not that the EU are trying to protect the bloc from spread of the mutation of Covid in the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

VG31 wrote: »

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I hope EU countries don't start banning flights from Dublin when they start seeing lots of UK passports coming over on the Dublin flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This is ridiculous. If NI had closed off GB would we still be isolated I wonder?

Its not that ridiculous, they sight they're reasons as the land bridge not currently being available. Most things travel here through the UK by ferry. Until that gets resolved there's issues.

Vast majority of stuff on cargo planes is also via the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Its not that ridiculous, they sight they're reasons as the land bridge not currently being available. Most things travel here through the UK by ferry. Until that gets resolved there's issues.

Vast majority of stuff on cargo planes is also via the UK.

Most things through europe fly from Hamburg or somewhere in germany into Heathrow and Heathrow to Shannon or dublin, at least DHL and DPD and sometimes fedex though. According to previous tracking references anyway, avoiding the landbridge

Edit: just saw your last sentence on cargo, it's through the UK but afaik only france is stopping freight so it's kind of strange alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did he use the phrase hard ball ? Is it not that the EU are trying to protect the bloc from spread of the mutation of Covid in the UK ?

Not in so many words. But he definitely sounded like he was begging them to open back up to cargo at least. Uk are getting a taste of you need us more than we need you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Most things through europe fly from Hamburg or somewhere in germany into Heathrow and Heathrow to Shannon or dublin, at least DHL and DPD and sometimes fedex though. According to previous tracking references anyway, avoiding the landbridge
    I've ordered a lot of stuff from Farnell in the past, and for some reason it is usually flown from Leeds to Cologne, and then flown direct to Dublin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not in so many words. But he definitely sounded like he was begging them to open back up to cargo at least. Uk are getting a taste of you need us more than we need you

People in Europe supplying the UK market must be nervous also especially those with limited shelf life.
    And then theres the Irish producers who rely on land bridge to supply European markets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

TP_CM wrote: »
    I hope EU countries don't start banning flights from Dublin when they start seeing lots of UK passports coming over on the Dublin flights.

Citizenship does not = residency, especially where UK / IRE are concerned. The EU know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Citizenship does not = residency, especially where UK / IRE are concerned. The EU know that.

Citizenship doesn’t equate to residency in almost any case. The big risk is neither the U.K. nor Ireland have any document that proves residency. The rest of Europe has ID cards & registration at the local town hall if you move house, even within a country.

We, on the other hand, define residency with a series of telephone and electricity bills in your name.

The worrying bit about this mess with the courier companies is they obviously have no contingency in place for intra EU traffic for Ireland in January either should there be an unagreed Brexit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is what I don't get about reading boards and some other Irish media, the UK gets all this attention and the EU is given all this love. But the people saying this stuff clearly only actually pay attention to the UK and don't follow European news.

If the pandemic is not being taken seriously by the UK what the hell does that say about Spain, Italy and France, doesn't Germany have a higher death rate than the UK to at the minute (they had a very good early pandemic though so overall numbers low).
    Take off the inferiority/superiority complex glasses and look at it rationally, if the UK is that terrible at this what's that say about the rest of Europe.

In terms of the French response in terms of this crisis and freight remember France kneejerks and acts ridiculously nationalistic at times, proof of that is the fact that they basically stole Swedish PPE in the height of the first wave, and delayed Spanish and Italian PPE when they were being decimated. Can post news articles if questioned.

Basically get of the high horses y'all sound like Canadians talking about the USA, most large Western European countries have fcuked this up.

Also and this needs to be repeated again and again as it's properly relevant, the UK does a lot of sequencing, most other countries do it less, the horse might have already bolted.

Seems you built your own narrative here.

What exactly is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lonely expat

I have a flight booked from the UK (not South East) to Dublin for the morning of Wednesday 23rd, just after the 48 hour ban, which I haven't yet cancelled.

However the Ryanair statement seems to imply that that they are only permitting people to fly for business purposes?

Do ye think I should cancel? I know it would be more socially responsible, regardless of whether it's allowed. The alternative is spending Christmas alone in my flat ðŸ™

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I have a flight booked from the UK (not South East) to Dublin for the morning of Wednesday 23rd, just after the 48 hour ban, which I haven't yet cancelled.

However the Ryanair statement seems to imply that that they are only permitting people to fly for business purposes?

Do ye think I should cancel? I know it would be more socially responsible, regardless of whether it's allowed. The alternative is spending Christmas alone in my flat ðŸ™

The ban is gonna be extended for sure
    Whatever Ryanair say has nothing to do with it

As for the bolded bit you have answered your own question - lot of people are spending Xmas alone so you are not really alone

Advertisement