Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Are flights from Ireland to UK also banned? Some reports are just mentioning from UK while others have to/from.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Why don’t we show even a small bit of sense and put checkpoints on at least the M1/M50 and find out where people are coming from. Those not normally resident on the island not be allowed in. It wouldn’t stop everyone but would at least show some action and would discourage at least some from using that route.
    Instead we rely on the muppets in Stormont to do the right thing, which it is now already too late for and wait to be infected

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Are flights from Ireland to UK also banned? Some reports are just mentioning from UK while others have to/from.

If theres flights still operating out to the UK then its fine, no ban on entering the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If we don't stop travel between the north and south and the north don't stop travel to UK GB then we will also be cut off from essentially the rest of the world. Dreadful situation.
    adjusted paragraph above.

According to RTE The Stormont Executive has now voted to dissuade (but not ban) non essential between Northern Ireland and GB, they have also suggested the same between Northern Ireland and the Republic. Thing is, that new strain is probably on this island already, both North & South, so it's probably too late to cut-off this island from GB anyway, not that we'd want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

According to RTE The Stormont Executive has now voted to dissuade (but not ban) non essential between Northern Ireland and GB, they have also suggested the same between Northern Ireland and the Republic. Thing is, that new strain is probably on this island already, both North & South, so it's probably too late to cut-off this island from GB anyway, not that we'd want to.

I don't think anyone hear ever thought they'd say this. But it's a pity Ian paisley wasn't still the man up there. Regardless of his obvious bigotry, he would have had the sense and where with all to put Northern Ireland first, not his political view and one up manship with his fellow stormont executives..........

Both foster and the sinn fein one have been a disgrace to the people they serve up there. An absolute disgrace....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,738 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Both foster and the sinn fein one have been a disgrace to the people they serve up there. An absolute disgrace....

You mean the Foster who vetoed Sinn Feins attempt to control the pandemic lat month?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,740 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mr.S wrote: »
    No, flights can go to the UK.

Airlines are cancelling some routes though, presumably because it doesn’t make sense to fly one way with an empty flight back.

Also keep in mind the risk of not getting back to Ireland.

My flight's tomorrow, from NI but I'm going to cancel it and the return trip tomorrow.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Mr.S wrote: »
    No, flights can go to the UK.

Airlines are cancelling some routes though, presumably because it doesn’t make sense to fly one way with an empty flight back.

Also keep in mind the risk of not getting back to Ireland.

Seems like Aer Lingus are continuing to put on some flights from Ireland to UK but Ryanair are cancelling all of theirs, judging from yesterday's schedule. Could change over coming days. I've a flight back on the 28th with Ryanair, I'm assuming at this stage it probably will be cancelled. May have to book with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/travel-ban-passengers-come-to-ireland-on-multiple-flights-today-1.4443048
    Airline passengers can still travel to Ireland on any one of 42 flights scheduled to arrive in Belfast and Derry today. This is despite a 48-hour ban on journeys from Britain to the Republic as of midnight Sunday.

One aircraft arriving into Belfast from London this afternoon was said to contain more than 100 passengers, according to one woman aboard. These travellers are due to proceed to Dublin on a coach provided by the airline, she said.

Mad isn't it?
    I will put my hands up and accept I had a dunce moment as I didn't stop and realize what would stop anyone from going to Belfast and crossing the border with this traven ban :o

But of course, in regards to the 100s, if not thousands by now (?) who did this. I guess everyone will suit themselves huh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We are no better, the gardai only shutting down illegal wet pubs after finding them in breach 4 times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/travel-ban-passengers-come-to-ireland-on-multiple-flights-today-1.4443048

Mad isn't it?
    I will put my hands up and accept I had a dunce moment as I didn't stop and realize what would stop anyone from going to Belfast and crossing the border with this traven ban :o

But of course, in regards to the 100s, if not thousands by now (?) who did this. I guess everyone will suit themselves huh ...

The airline arranging the bus for them is pretty disgraceful imo. We all know people would fly to Belfast if they really want to get home but companies shouldn't be making it easier for them to flout the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Anyone got any updated info on Ferry Travel? I came over just before the travel suspension to sort some stuff out for my 88 yo mother and now I'm stuck? Irish Ferries system isn't allowing my return trip which was booked for today to be changed to Wednesday (tomorrow) and on the phone they can't do it either.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone got any updated info on Ferry Travel? I came over just before the travel suspension to sort some stuff out for my 88 yo mother and now I'm stuck? Irish Ferries system isn't allowing my return trip which was booked for today to be changed to Wednesday (tomorrow) and on the phone they can't do it either.

Tomorrow is no different than today. The EU had announced an EU wide ban lasting until at least after Christmas. The 1st or the 6th are the main dates being considered for ending it but I don't know why.

People in your case are being advised to contact the embassy. You may have to fly back on a repatriation flight.

GarIT wrote: »
    Tomorrow is no different than today. The EU had announced an EU wide ban lasting until at least after Christmas. The 1st or the 6th are the main dates being considered for ending it but I don't know why.

People in your case are being advised to contact the embassy.

Embassy is just saying something like due to high volume of calls they can't put your call in a queue and then cutting off. Not surprised really.

Easier and safer on the ferry tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Both Irish ferries and Stena Line say on their websites that Ire->UK travel is still permitted.

From IF website:

"At present, there are no restrictions for passengers booked on our services from Ireland to Holyhead or Pembroke Dock, subject to UK government advice – see the latest information here . Essential travel from Ireland via Wales which has Tier 4 restrictions is permitted, but travellers are advised to keep all necessary stops to a minimum and minimise contact with people as much as possible."

Edit - I now realise you may be in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ireland is really taking a quite extreme step of not allowing non-resident citizens to enter the country. I am not aware of other EU countries that took such a measure at the height of the first wave earlier this year.

You’re stuck in Ireland or the U.K.?

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Both Irish ferries and Stena Line say on their websites that Ire->UK travel is still permitted.

From IF website:

"At present, there are no restrictions for passengers booked on our services from Ireland to Holyhead or Pembroke Dock, subject to UK government advice – see the latest information here . Essential travel from Ireland via Wales which has Tier 4 restrictions is permitted, but travellers are advised to keep all necessary stops to a minimum and minimise contact with people as much as possible."

They will let you out but not back in.

embraer170 wrote: »
    You’re stuck in Ireland or the U.K.?

Yep, down in Cornwall still Tier 1, 250mile drive to the ferry which I don't want to do again unless I know I can get on a ferry. I'm fine about isolation have a 30ft caravan in the garden and have isolated there after my other 3 trips this year.

Yep, down in Cornwall still Tier 1, 250mile drive to the ferry which I don't want to do again unless I know I can get on a ferry. I'm fine about isolation have a 30ft caravan in the garden and have isolated there after my other 3 trips this year.

So you have a ferry booking today but you can’t / don’t want to catch it and they won’t allow you to change it to a crossing tomorrow?

embraer170 wrote: »
    So you have a ferry booking today but you can’t / don’t want to catch it and they won’t allow you to change it to a crossing tomorrow?

Ferry is booked and its running but no passengers are allowed to travel only freight and commercial drivers. I won't loose out on the cost of the tickets but can't change the travel date to tomorrow as IF don't know what is going on.

• Advertisement

Ferry is booked and its running but no passengers are allowed to travel only freight and commercial drivers. I won't loose out on the cost of the tickets but can't change the travel date to tomorrow as IF don't know what is going on.

Someone posted on this topic (or maybe the other COVID 19 English strain topic) that a neighbour had no problem getting on a ferry to Ireland. I probably wouldn’t trust anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

titan18 wrote: »
    The airline arranging the bus for them is pretty disgraceful imo. We all know people would fly to Belfast if they really want to get home but companies shouldn't be making it easier for them to flout the rules.

I guess they don't care too huh.
    One thing that should be said loud and often is that, while sure not all, but a lot of people simply did what they wanted and suited themselves during Corona. Then again that's hardly any different to normal times.

People in your case are being advised to contact the embassy. You may have to fly back on a repatriation flight.

The repatriation organisers will arrange for travel on any ferry according to what I have read (Itish times I think). The ferries won’t take bookings directly, but it can be arranged. And on any ferry, not special repatriation ones

Call the repatriation people and they will sort your ferry access

Can't get through to the repatriation people

After calling about 20 times I'm finally in a phone queue to speak to someone at the embassy only 6 minutes so far but expect to hold for much longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,740 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just cancelled my flights. It was a bit quick and I've not had an email confirmation yet.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Just cancelled my flights. It was a bit quick and I've not had an email confirmation yet.

Who were you due to fly with?

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Who were you due to fly with?

Aer Lingus.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Likely the 6th because that’s when Christmas “ends” for the majority. Schools reopen, work places start back up fully if they closed for Christmas and so on.

Advertisement