Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

No one knows what the situation is with the new strain of the virus and vaccines, there is a lot of work to be done yet going on public pronouncements but no one is taking any chances.

Except they do.

https://twitter.com/KrutikaKuppalli/status/1340352974112043009

There is reason to believe it will be effective against this new strain as well, although obviously this will need to be looked at extensively. Making sweeping statements like "no one knows" is pure alarmism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

GarIT wrote: »
    Why are we closing borders and why has the EU called an emergency meeting to discuss and EU wide closure of borders?

Obviously because the UK said it spreads faster. Nothing to do with Vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

GT89 wrote: »
    How many people in society are actually that immunocomprised that they cannot take the vaccine. I thought 90% efficency meant you have a 10% chance of getting the virus not 10% of people with the vaccine will become infected. No is proposing that anyone is locked away contrary to popular belief the elderly and vulnerable were never locked away cooconing was only ever advisory it was never legally enforceable in any way shape or form. Doesn't sound like being locked away to me.

What do you mean, it's just an advisory? People who ate extremely vulnerable to the virus have been advised to keep indoors and stay away from people as much as possible. Presumably, if they dont have a death wish, they will follow this advice. Why should it matter what the numbers are? Do you know anyone with an immune disorder, is taking immune suppressant, is having or recently completed chemotherapy? The more people vaccinated the safer it will be for them to resume something like a normal life. Do you genuinely not give a sh1t about people in that situation because they were only 'advised to cocoon'? What about the literally thousands of carers who have been going, non stop, without a break of any kind since March seriously curtailing their lives in order to protect someone they are now with, literally, 24/7, for 9 months. Only advisory, sure they could abandon their charges if they wanted to, mix with whoever they wanted to, let whomever they wanted to into the house so they could get a break, but because they followed the advice, tough sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Except they do.

There is reason to believe it will be effective against this new strain as well, although obviously this will need to be looked at extensively. Making sweeping statements like "no one knows" is pure alarmism.

No it isn't.
    Hence words like "unlikely, may, possibly"...they are assessing all of this over the coming weeks.

Until a reputable regulator (preferably the ECDC) comes out and definitely states this as fact it is not known.

That is not alarmist, it is stating fact.

nocoverart wrote: »

It would be implausible that the actions taken to isolate the UK in the last 24 hours are on the simple premise "it spreads faster". That is part of it no doubt but there are clearly unanswered questions and concern that need to be addressed.

When they are things go back to how they were on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Except they do.

Alarmism is what these scaremongers do best. When this is all over least they’ll get to crawl back under their rocks and be miserable alone, alone and sad. The way they like it.

Anybody know if Ryanair will have any sales for the Summer? can’t wait myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

While its crucially important for Britain, the EU member states are imposing restrictions as there's a lack of information coming from the UK. Belgian PM stated this today.

They want the evidence the UK have and for member states and ECDC to be able to look at it and test for themselves. So far that isn't forthcoming as would be liked. France are already talking about reopening in 48hrs with temporary extra checks pending further investigation.

Interesting interview earlier from Cillian De Gascun, when people say NPHET are worried hes the only qualified person on NPHET to be worried and he didn't sound that worried.

Now if i owned a very very expensive tinfoil hat and just decided to wear it for a moment i would probably guess that the reality is that the virus has gotten out of control because of mixing of families and all the activity coming up to xmas. So it could be possible they are now using this new strain as ammo to scare people into complying with the xmas restrictions. It might explain the lack of info from them.

If that’s the case it just backfired on them badly! Now i totally understand i’m probably talking bollix.

It's definitely already in Ireland. The stopping of flights is just to reduce numbers.. It's not out of some fear that the vaccine won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm getting sleepy and must have misread your post. I thought you said there was no concern about this new strain. Not that there was no concern about the vaccine for this strain.

Yes I agree there isn't a major concern about the vaccine. Particularly because we have three different vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I read the telegraph every Saturday (don't shoot me), and it really bugs me the emphasis on travel and getting away. It's constant throughout the paper. Why this need to leave GB so much?

I realise the travel industry needs customers but there has to come a stage where people stop insisting on holidays and hold tough for the time being.

The first lockdown had been barely lifted and the crowds we're heading for Majorca france etc with no regard for anyone but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is already plenty UK reg vehicles here, too late I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

No it isn't.
    Hence words like "unlikely, may, possibly"...they are assessing all of this over the coming weeks.

Until a reputable regulator (preferably the ECDC) comes out and definitely states this as fact it is not known.

That is not alarmist, it is stating fact.

You asserted "no one knows what the situation is with the new strain of the virus and vaccines". I pointed out that that is false, and that many people in the field are reasonably confident there is so far little reason to be concerned regarding the efficacy of vaccines on the new strain. Now you are asserting that "no one knows about the situation" somehow means "they aren't exactly 100% sure of this, despite having a fair idea" - you are shifting the goalposts.

And yes, it is alarmist because you flat-out refused to provide the full picture on this - many people browsing this forum will look at your post and automatically assume the worst, that health experts are utterly confounded about vaccines and the new strain, which is alarmist considering the above tweet and the situation on the ground.

If you were really intent on providing the full picture, you might have said "No one knows about the situation, however, figures at the CDC so far believe that...", but you chose to provide only one point of view. Dressing that up as being factual is not just incorrect, it's evasive.

Alarmism is what these scaremongers do best. When this is all over least they’ll get to crawl back under their rocks and be miserable alone, alone and sad. The way they like it.

With vaccines on the horizon they should be heading back under that rock soon thankfully, time is running out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

The reaction to this to my mind indicates it's potentially very serious.

All we, and other countries like France, have done is applied a 48h emergency brake and we will work from there.

Whatever data was released by the UK, it has set alarm bells off.

You asserted "no one knows what the situation is with the new strain of the virus and vaccines". I pointed out that that is false

It is 100% true. Until it's definitively confirmed by a regulator that is the case.

When it is confirmed it won't be the case. It could be confirmed next week or in four weeks time. Until that happens no one is taking chances, nor should they.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Micky 32 wrote: »
    With vaccines on the horizon they should be heading back under that rock soon thankfully, time is running out for them.

Think again pal. Not gong to happen much as you would like it to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What do you mean, it's just an advisory? People who ate extremely vulnerable to the virus have been advised to keep indoors and stay away from people as much as possible. Presumably, if they dont have a death wish, they will follow this advice. Why should it matter what the numbers are? Do you know anyone with an immune disorder, is taking immune suppressant, is having or recently completed chemotherapy? The more people vaccinated the safer it will be for them to resume something like a normal life. Do you genuinely not give a sh1t about people in that situation because they were only 'advised to cocoon'? What about the literally thousands of carers who have been going, non stop, without a break of any kind since March seriously curtailing their lives in order to protect someone they are now with, literally, 24/7, for 9 months. Only advisory, sure they could abandon their charges if they wanted to, mix with whoever they wanted to, let whomever they wanted to into the house so they could get a break, but because they followed the advice, tough sh1t?

Locked up is a term generally associated with being incarcerated. Last time I checked being advised to stay at home something was a completely different to being put in prison or under house arrest. I know people who are 70+ and did not follow the advice to the full extent during the cooconing period and I worked through the original lockdown so saw plenty of people 70+ out and about. The people I know are not dead and considering I still see most of the same faces to this day I'm guessing the same for the latter too.

If we should all be vaccinated then by your logic maybe it should also be law to wear high visibility clothing when we leave the house as that reduces the amount of pedestrians being hit by vehicles for example or maybe a better examole is should it mandatory for all able bodied citizens to attend mandatory CPR and first aid training once every so often. While there is an element of respect and courtesy for others in society we are also induviduals who are free to make up their own decisions. We are induviduals who should be trusted to make our own decisions for the benefit of ourselves and others.

You make the point about carers however no is forcing carers to care for people last time it was a job which one was free to leave just like no one is forcing supermarket workers to stack shelves, bus drivers to drive buses, postmen to deliver letters or Gardai to keep law and order it is job not the freemasons. Maybe in time to come being a carer could become like working as an offshore oil rig worker or working on a ship ie working for a couple of weeks/months on where one must stay in the care facility or persons home then a couple of weeks/months off where they are free to do as they please.

Think again pal. Not gong to happen much as you would like it to.

Firstly i’m not your pal and secondly i really couldn’t careless because i’ll be living my life while you and your cohort will be still whining and whinging all day on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Is this not only their 2nd time imposing strong restrictions though? Which is what we did in November, so it isn't anything more concerning than what we did then.

I don't think Borris Johnson would cancel Christmas for sh'ts and giggles, I tend to take the UK doing stuff more seriously than Ireland as they are generally taking a more relaxed approach to locking down things.
    That said, the UK in a bad way, cases are rising a lot, cases hadn't dropped as low as Ireland, this strain might be bad.
    The important thing is though that politically I think that a new strain gives cover for harsh restrictions that may be needed anyway and it gives cover for travel restrictions that are beneficial anyway.
    And we don't know, the worries could be right and it could be more infectious, the people involved aren't idiots or conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd expect a run on continental Europe sourced fruit and veg tomorrow with shelves empty by Tuesday.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

If I gave you all the tinfoil possible, what would be your most wacky theory?

Countries in Europe, so far, that have banned flights from/to the UK.

EpueoYmWMAA84ih?format=jpg&name=medium

If I gave you all the tinfoil possible, what would be your most wacky theory?

<tinfoil>A concerted effort to defeat British Empire 2.0 at conception</tinfoil>

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Does anyone here feel in as much a state of worry and absolute despair since the last week of February and early March again? I hope to god the vaccines work or can be tweaked to work on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

<tinfoil>A concerted effort to defeat British Empire 2.0 at conception</tinfoil>

:pac:

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I laughed when I saw El Salvador had banned UK flights today, talk about attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

Know 2 people at work whose their kids surprise them by returning home for Christmas unannounced from the UK last week.

Very curious to see the reactions tomorrow when I check the old work emails. Idiots.

At least our gov has actually introduced actual travel restrictions. Only took them "checks notes" 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

The same people calling for the flights to be banned will be the exact same people complaing that their amazon package didn't arrive next week. Some people will always complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I read the telegraph every Saturday (don't shoot me), and it really bugs me the emphasis on travel and getting away. It's constant throughout the paper. Why this need to leave GB so much?

I realise the travel industry needs customers but there has to come a stage where people stop insisting on holidays and hold tough for the time being.

The first lockdown had been barely lifted and the crowds we're heading for Majorca france etc with no regard for anyone but themselves.

Off topic:

I bought a subscription to The Telegraph a while back, mainly because I wanted to read Brexit coverage from another perspective that was different to what I would usually read elsewhere. It's no harm getting a more wholistic view and all that.

But it's quite frankly amazing how stupidly jingoistic they are. It's a really dumb paper. Instead of making me see things from another perspective, I'm left rolling my eyes: "they can't honestly believe this...?"

It's a terrifying insight into the worldview of many Tory politicians and many of their voters. Britain is in an awful state. This is a headline on the front page now:

"After his Christmas flip-flop, the last thing Boris can do is go soft on Brexit."

Advertisement