Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Think you need to read the report. It says there is a lack of evidence to back up any of the claims made by the UK so far.

I read it, it doesn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Everyone doesn’t need it. Once vulnerable people are covered then it doesn’t really matter. Anyway, this isn’t the vaccine thread so I digress.
    What about all the supposedly non vulnerable people who caught it and are still suffering?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

GarIT wrote: »
    I read it, it doesn't say that.

“Further epidemiological and virological investigations are needed to further quantify the increase in transmissibility and to understand the biological mechanism behind the increase”

Translates to:
    UK made a claim -> we’ve no evidence to back it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No one knows what the situation is with the new strain of the virus and vaccines, there is a lot of work to be done yet going on public pronouncements but no one is taking any chances.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1340795543530975234

Saudi Arabia has simply closed all it's borders with immediate effect.

More countries will follow overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Boris going to hold a Cobra meeting, looking for a cure.

Dunno if Cobra is the answer

https://streamable.com/cmjxcv

If he took it seriously at the start of the year having missed 5 critical meetings they would not be in this mess.

This Tory Govt is a shambles. Also, we have a real problem with NI now. I'd be for putting stops on the border. It's is horrific the way the likes of Lord Kilclooney politicizes the whole thing and essentially wants to drag the Republic down with them.

This old guard of unionists are absolutely vile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Everyone doesn’t need it. Once vulnerable people are covered then it doesn’t really matter. Anyway, this isn’t the vaccine thread so I digress.

That's not true. For 10% of those vaccinated, it will not work and then there are those of the extremely vulnerable who cannot be vaccinated because they have allergies or immunocompromised. In order to protect the most vulnerable as many people as possible need to be vaccinated to prevent them becoming infected, unless you are proposing that someone with a donated organ, or recovering from chemotherapy or who has extreme allergic reactions to the ingredients of the vaccine stay locked up for the rest if their lives along with the people they live with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I actually want to know what safety measures are in place to stop illegal migration into Ireland especially now with all this as many will be trying to get here now as UK will be out of the EU.....

A much bigger threat to our society than Covid or Brexit. The migrants crossing the channel in their dingys are free to come here and claim asylum this is something that needs more coverage in Ireland. If people think covid could kill their grandmother or mother then they should also think that migrants have the potential to murder and rape their daughter, gf, wife or sister. I don't meant to sound alarmist but all you have to look at is the Cologne NYE rapes in 2016 to think what could happen if we don't tighten our borders.

“Further epidemiological and virological investigations are needed to further quantify the increase in transmissibility and to understand the biological mechanism behind the increase”

Translates to:
    UK made a claim -> we’ve no evidence to back it.

No, that's saying there has only been one study and we need more to be sure. Nobody has taken anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

No, that's saying there has only been one study and we need more to be sure. Nobody has taken anything back.

This.

The ECDC have not called this an overreaction in any sense.

You can believe it if you want to or not, not here to convince you. As I said, Irish sources think its an overreaction. Can find similar claims in foreign media.

“A senior Government source said they expect the new strain has already arrived in Ireland. The source said cases of the new strain have been identified in Northern Ireland.

However, it is understood public health experts in Ireland are not as concerned about the new strain as their British counterparts.

“I wouldn’t second guess Public Health England but our people seem to be more of the view that there are lots of strains of the virus,” a source said.”

https://m.independent.ie/news/government-bans-flights-from-britain-for-at-least-48-hours-over-fears-new-strain-of-covid-19-will-spread-to-ireland-39883331.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

You can believe it if you want to or not, not here to convince you. As I said, Irish sources think its an overreaction. Can find similar claims in foreign media.

“A senior Government source said they expect the new strain has already arrived in Ireland. The source said cases of the new strain have been identified in Northern Ireland.

However, it is understood public health experts in Ireland are not as concerned about the new strain as their British counterparts.

“I wouldn’t second guess Public Health England but our people seem to be more of the view that there are lots of strains of the virus,” a source said.”

https://m.independent.ie/news/government-bans-flights-from-britain-for-at-least-48-hours-over-fears-new-strain-of-covid-19-will-spread-to-ireland-39883331.html

No name, no record their with NPHET, no other reports..

Ya we’ll know a lot more after the europe meeting tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Let's not forget the UK initially published that the strain from Spain during the summer was more fatal, up to 50% upon further investigation was found to not be the case at all.

Plenty of road to travel here yet

"A source has said" must be some idiot source if they don't know there are already hundreds of different strains and the issue here is this one transmits easier.

NPHET have said it's serious, Head of immunology in UL has said it's serious I'll believe them.

You think the government who have fought endlessly against closing airports and schools have just flipped in an afternoon because they are overreaching to something. Mehole probably wouldn't react if you punched him and he's reacting to this.

"A source has said" must be some idiot source if they don't know there are already hundreds of different strains and the issue here is this one transmits easier.

NPHET have said it's serious, Head of immunology in UL has said it's serious I'll believe them.

You think the government who have fought endlessly against closing airports and schools have just flipped in an afternoon because they are overreaching to something. Mehole probably wouldn't react if you punched him and he's reacting to this.

Flights are being banned for 48hrs because the government don’t know whether to believe the UK or not, because of their history of being wrong with these things, as stephen posted above. Not sure how you don’t see this?

I get it that travel bans need to be in place but the French banning freight movement stinks tbh. What happens to the containers that are attached to lorries, are they unhitched and allowed passage? What about all the drivers displaced here, there and everywhere?

I really hope there’s not food shortages in the UK because of this.

Flights are being banned for 48hrs because the government don’t know whether to believe the UK or not, because of their history of being wrong with these things, as stephen posted above. Not sure how you don’t see this?

The next cabinet meeting is on Tuesday. It will be extended at that meeting.

Germany is pushing for the UK to be isolated by the entire continent (EU) until at least 6th of January.

What comes out of the EU council meeting tomorrow will be crucially important for Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

? Pfizer vaccine is being approved by the EU tomorrow. Already approved in US, Canada, Switzerland.

So yes, we do have a vaccine.

-Hey, bad idea jumping off that cliff.
    -Its ok, I'll put down a crash mat afterwards.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    That's not true. For 10% of those vaccinated, it will not work and then there are those of the extremely vulnerable who cannot be vaccinated because they have allergies or immunocompromised. In order to protect the most vulnerable as many people as possible need to be vaccinated to prevent them becoming infected, unless you are proposing that someone with a donated organ, or recovering from chemotherapy or who has extreme allergic reactions to the ingredients of the vaccine stay locked up for the rest if their lives along with the people they live with?

How many people in society are actually that immunocomprised that they cannot take the vaccine. I thought 90% efficency meant you have a 10% chance of getting the virus not 10% of people with the vaccine will become infected. No is proposing that anyone is locked away contrary to popular belief the elderly and vulnerable were never locked away cooconing was only ever advisory it was never legally enforceable in any way shape or form. Doesn't sound like being locked away to me.

Hurrache wrote: »
    -Hey, bad idea jumping off that cliff.
    -Its ok, I'll put down a crash mat afterwards.

Hyperbole never wins an argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Germany is pushing for the UK to be isolated by the entire continent (EU) until at least 6th of January.

What comes out of the EU council meeting tomorrow will be crucially important for Britain.

A short no deal Brexit is the current likely outcome I read the last couple of weeks. Seems to coincide with this 6th January date. It was also our, Irish government, date to end the Christmas easing of restrictions.

I don't mean to dwell on the Brexit link, that date just stands out for one specific and one general reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Any source for this comment RE Germany?

While its crucially important for Britain, the EU member states are imposing restrictions as there's a lack of information coming from the UK. Belgian PM stated this today.

They want the evidence the UK have and for member states and ECDC to be able to look at it and test for themselves. So far that isn't forthcoming as would be liked. France are already talking about reopening in 48hrs with temporary extra checks pending further investigation.

Interesting interview earlier from Cillian De Gascun, when people say NPHET are worried hes the only qualified person on NPHET to be worried and he didn't sound that worried.

Lots of movement to come yet on this I'd suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

No one knows what the situation is with the new strain of the virus and vaccines, there is a lot of work to be done yet going on public pronouncements but no one is taking any chances.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1340795543530975234

Saudi Arabia has simply closed all it's borders with immediate effect.

More countries will follow overnight.

I know you get an irrational hard on for even a sniff of bad news, and I’m so sorry to burst your little toxic bubble that you live in but as of right now... THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN ABOUT THE NEW STRAIN WITH REGARDS TO VACCINES. You negative Nancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Mentioned this in earlier comment but with Irish media being so focussed on UK problems it shouldn't be forgotten that the big EU states are already in a bad way so their severe response makes sense, in particular Germany actually getting hit this time with deaths (I was wrong France is running a slightly lower death average than UK in earlier post but it's close).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Brexit revenge lol

Mentioned this in earlier comment but with Irish media being so focussed on UK problems it shouldn't be forgotten that the big EU states are already in a bad way so their severe response makes sense, in particular Germany actually getting hit this time with deaths (I was wrong France is running a slightly lower death average than UK in earlier post but it's close).

Is this not only their 2nd time imposing strong restrictions though? Which is what we did in November, so it isn't anything more concerning than what we did then.

nocoverart wrote: »
    I know you get an irrational hard on for even a sniff of bad news, and I’m so sorry to burst your little toxic bubble that you live in but as of right now... THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN ABOUT THE NEW STRAIN WITH REGARDS TO VACCINES. You negative Nancy!

Why are we closing borders and why has the EU called an emergency meeting to discuss and EU wide closure of borders?

Why are we closing borders and why has the EU called an emergency meeting to discuss and EU wide closure of borders?

Actions speak louder than words. There is real concern.

That is why these precautions are being put in place - you don't hurt a country like Britain in this way unless you have a damn good reason for doing so.

It's as simple as that.

To the poster a few posts back, I'll post news as I see fit. Thank you.

Because they want more evidence from the UK which isn't currently forthcoming. Until its forthcoming you take the sledgehammer approach, in this case, cut them off basically.

• Advertisement

Actions speak louder than words. There is real concern.

That is why these precautions are being put in place - you don't hurt a country like Britain in this way unless you have a damn good reason for doing so.

It's as simple as that.

To the poster a few posts back, I'll post news as I see fit. Thank you.

The beauty of Boards.ie; you post your opinion and get responded to equally. That poster doesn't like it, reply why and get thanks and a response. Rinse and repeat. It's why we're all here!

Advertisement