Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

hmmm wrote: »
    And I know some people might see it as moaning, but administering vaccines is simply a question of how efficient you are at logistics, planning & resources. It's directly comparable between counties, whereas the response to Covid itself is difficult to compare.

If some EU countries are rolling out vaccines tomorrow, they have done a better job. Maybe they've over-stretched themselves and it all falls apart, but that sounds unlikely. It's important we know why we're not on the same schedule, and what resources or work-practice changes we need to close the gap - and push the politicians to deliver.

Def not moaning. Plan should have been there clear as a sky now. If there is a good reason why we'll start on Wednesday, they should say so. Apart from everything else quick rollout would win public support for continuing restrictions as well imo. Well definitely my one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It would be very easy for us to vaccinate a few people tomorrow and say we’ve started.
    I would have chosen to do that. even on a small scale. Can you imagine the PR and morale boost if we had vaccinated some ICU nurses this evening or tomorrow? The whole country would have been thrilled, and instead many of us are wondering why we have vaccines sitting in a fridge.

We knew for months that vaccines were in phase 3 trials, we knew they were 2-dose regimes, and we knew the storage and transport requirements. Maybe we needed to wait a while to get exact requirements, but we knew (for example) that we would need an IT system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cyprus starting tomorrow with their vaccinations. From what I've seen we'll be the last EU country to start. Doesn't reflect well on our ability to roll this out effectively.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/12/22/coronavirus-vaccinations-to-begin-on-sunday/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

hmmm wrote: »
    I would have chosen to do that. even on a small scale. Can you imagine the PR and morale boost if we had vaccinated some ICU nurses this evening or tomorrow? The whole country would have been thrilled, and instead many of us are wondering why we have vaccines sitting in a fridge.

We knew for months that vaccines were in phase 3 trials, we knew they were 2-dose regimes, and we knew the storage and transport requirements. Maybe we needed to wait a while to get exact requirements, but we knew (for example) that we would need an IT system.

Yeah, I don’t understand why they are not doing some PR vaccinations tomorrow at least, doesn’t make a lot of sense. Anyway I actually think we will use up our supplies every week so perhaps it doesn’t really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Def not moaning. Plan should have been there clear as a sky now. If there is a good reason why we'll start on Wednesday, they should say so. Apart from everything else quick rollout would win public support for continuing restrictions as well imo. Well definitely my one.

Spot on - why is no one even asking why we are 4 days behind considering we actually have the vaccines? If there is a reason - say it.

I know by the end of the week the 9750 doses will be used so it’s not that we won’t catch up but if the whole EU is starting tomorrow what’s the delay, as someone said above, even if they did 100 in a hospital it would look good.

• Advertisement

It would be very easy for us to vaccinate a few people tomorrow and say we’ve started. This would tell us nothing about how good our planning is. Let’s see how each country does over the next few weeks. The supplies at this stage are quite modest, it would be very poor if we don’t use up our allocation in full every week.

That's not the point tho, vaccinate few people to look good. But use our allocation fast and meaningfully to be ready for next one.

We'll surely see how other EU members do and I hope we'll do great.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,895 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The initial excuses for the slow rollout was that we are an island and things take time. Turns out Malta and Cyprus are starting tomorrow.

This 4 days of waiting to start just reinforces the perception of laziness and inefficiency in the public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

marno21 wrote: »
    When’s our next delivery of vaccines coming?

If we only have 10k, and these are all being deployed in hospital settings, could it be that we are doing it on the 30/31st and then waiting for the next delivery?
    As far as I know there's more coming next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭mike8634

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The initial excuses for the slow rollout was that we are an island and things take time. Turns out Malta and Cyprus are starting tomorrow.

This 4 days of waiting to start just reinforces the perception of laziness and inefficiency in the public services.

Pathetic isn't it

Not one reason given as well

Loads asking the question on Twitter and they can't even bother to reply

Didn't take them 4 days to lockdown businesses!

People might finally wake up to those clowns when we won't have the nursing homes vaccinated next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It doesn't look great but they easily catch up with the rate of delivery, I'm more disappointed that nursing homes have to wait another 3 weeks.
    Depends on the first 40000 batch but I presume that's first week in January. We d all prefer to see freezers emptied as quick as they are filled, insted of them lieing there.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

To be honest, he says feck all.

Have a nice evening or night everyone, gonna see what's left in my beer fridge and watch a movie.

Hopefully next year will be much better.
    Can't wait for my dose :D

My father said that the reason it isn't starting until next week is because management are on Christmas holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If we have vaccines in the country, why wait four days?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My father said that the reason it isn't starting until next week is because management are on Christmas holidays.

Seriously???

Could they not take all of 2022 off

Stheno wrote: »
    Seriously???
    Yeah deadly serious. Vaccine hubs (hes in charge of logistics for testing hubs etc in Cork) are ready to go and the nursing vaccination units have been set up in CUH and they've been told to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Whether it's a wind up or not, that's exactly the perception that will be taken by a large percentage of the population. I can't believe MM is so stupid as to think that he'll still have a party to lead after the next GE if they fcuk this up. Nobody will blame Varadkar, he has wisely melted into the shadows to watch FF take all the blame, slimy little creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Wouldn’t put anything past the HSE

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Whether it's a wind up or not, that's exactly the perception that will be taken by a large percentage of the population. I can't believe MM is so stupid as to think that he'll still have a party to lead after the next GE if they fcuk this up. Nobody will blame Varadkar, he has wisely melted into the shadows to watch FF take all the blame, slimy little creep.

This will the reason for an election if it's mismanaged

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    It doesn't look great but they easily catch up with the rate of delivery, I'm more disappointed that nursing homes have to wait another 3 weeks.
    Depends on the first 40000 batch but I presume that's first week in January. We d all prefer to see freezers emptied as quick as they are filled, insted of them lieing there.

I fear a scandal in the New Year as thousands of vials of vaccine sit idle in some refrigerated warehouse while the HSE makes excuse after excuse about why the rollout is taking forever. It'll turn out massive rent for the vaccine warehousing is being paid to some FF loyalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

Finland got their first batch today, and they'll start vaccinating tomorrow (Sunday). There the discussion was "why are we waiting till Sunday?".

Germany started this afternoon after getting its allocation this morning. Their attitude is every day counts. Ours is, ah sure the lads are on holidays, let's wait 4 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Germany started this afternoon after getting its allocation this morning. Their attitude is every day counts. Ours is, ah sure the lads are on holidays, let's wait 4 days.

Not one bit surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every day's delay are potentially lives that might have been saved. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Every day's delay are potentially lives that might have been saved. Pathetic.

And another day of restrictions job losses and masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The 2 nursing homes Longford town are going to be done on 25th January and the 28th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd rather they wait a few days and do it properly.

Hse staff are entitled to a bit of time off too.

I'd rather they wait a few days and do it properly.

Hse staff are entitled to a bit of time off too.

Germany started today. What do you mean wait to do it properly?? That makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Germany started today. What do you mean wait to do it properly?? That makes no sense.

If the staff needed are on holidays, you cannot do much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement