Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

Water John wrote: »
    Doubt if any of the mRNA vaccines would be licienced. The Oxford one is old style tech and so would be easier.

Contracted rather than licensed - Pfizer would retain ownership of the process and IP with ironclad agreements in place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

JMNolan wrote: »
    This something I've been thinking about, how quickly should we see deaths reducing? The UK are a bit ahead so we should see a reduction in deaths there at some point due to the vaccine but will it be 2 weeks/1 month/2 months?

The vacine should have a major dent on people getting sick to begin with never mind deaths. So the best indicator will be of confirmed cases +65 group overall as a %tage of overall.

The current Post Christmas crisis is really going to muddy the waters a bit so i wouldnt expect to see any clear trends appearing for 2 months at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

is_that_so wrote: »
    I don't think there is an EU deal for Novavax just yet.

If it looks good and are ready to submit in January the EU won’t be long doing a deal with them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

marno21 wrote: »
    If it looks good and are ready to submit in January the EU won’t be long doing a deal with them
    Just exploratory talks so far but looking at a contract for 100m with a possible further 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Doc07 wrote: »
    I respect your right to be sceptical and to express it.
    However, it’s a fairly obvious take for a reasonable person to assess that you are just trying to pretend/lie/suggest that the difference in infection rate observed in the trial is spurious.

It appears clear that informed consent is erroneous in what its being informed about in the matter of efficacy vs effectiveness. No so much a right to be skeptical as wise to be.

My motive is irrelevant. I ask a straightforward, fairly logical question that there ought to be a clear answer for.

The alternative is a faith-based decision.

Problematic that, given previous performance of pharma and statutory bodies. Purdue? Vioxx? And the government agencies that presided ober those disasters.

It may seem like a nice idea to you or important but we don’t need to see the variance in 100 groups to say with confidence that the efficacy was demonstrated with high,high,high statistical probability that the differences are real and not due to chance. It’s built into the statistical design. You can look all this up yourself.

That's boiler plate stuff. Efficacy is high. I'm not saying it isn't. What I'm asking is whether we can tell a darn thing from an efficacy figure thus arrived at.
    I’ve answered some of your Qs in good faith , even the ones about ridiculous fantasy stats scenarios , so here’s one for you.
    Find a scientist or statistician or even a reference paper that supports your theory that knowing variance if you did this 100 times matters a jot in determining if this trial has demonstrated efficacy.

A large trial has shown the reduction in proportion of infections between placebo and vaccine to be 90 odd percent (between similar large groups with similar risks and exposures)
    If you think that is spurious fair play to you but it is not a position supported by facts or even any reasonable probability scenarios and certainly not a position that any reasonable person would maintain.

You seem reluctant to state whether you think tossing a coin 20000 times would result in 9 more heads than harps (or vice versa), if that exercise was carried out more than once.

9 was the result achieved one time.

Everytime though?

Call me a.lay statistician but I think that highly unlikely. There is going to be a range. A variance. And all the huff and puff about infection rates and large sample size sidesteps that issue not on jot. No matter how large the sample, it is just one sample. What I'm asking is, what happens when you compare samples.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pfizer & BioNTech say its an historical day for Europe and they stand ready to supply straight away.

Reports are saying that countries will get the same volume in the first delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pfizer & BioNTech say its an historical day for Europe and they stand ready to supply straight away.

Reports are saying that countries will get the same volume in the first delivery.

Great news after a gloomy weekend .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I hope those consignments come fast and regular enough. Less than 10k at a time will take us forever

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

titan18 wrote: »
    I hope those consignments come fast and regular enough. Less than 10k at a time will take us forever

The Pfizer numbers are relatively low. Moderna numbers would be lower still.

A lot of people are holding out hope for Oxford/Astra Zenaca as they have a good manufacturing base behind them but they have their own issues that could complicate approval.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    The HSE will get plenty of questions from our esteemed press on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Were all patiented little boys and girls and can wait

Typical Irish generosity ****e

Ireland's population is just over 1% of the EU's population. What's so bad about getting 1% of the first batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It appears clear that informed consent is erroneous in what its being informed about in the matter of efficacy vs effectiveness. No so much a right to be skeptical as wise to be.

My motive is irrelevant. I ask a straightforward, fairly logical question that there ought to be a clear answer for.

The alternative is a faith-based decision.

Problematic that, given previous performance of pharma and statutory bodies. Purdue? Vioxx? And the government agencies that presided ober those disasters.

That's boiler plate stuff. Efficacy is high. I'm not saying it isn't. What I'm asking is whether we can tell a darn thing from an efficacy figure thus arrived at.

You seem reluctant to state whether you think tossing a coin 20000 times would result in 9 more heads than harps (or vice versa), if that exercise was carried out more than once.

9 was the result achieved one time.

Everytime though?

Call me a.lay statistician but I think that highly unlikely. There is going to be a range. A variance. And all the huff and puff about infection rates and large sample size sidesteps that issue not on jot. No matter how large the sample, it is just one sample. What I'm asking is, what happens when you compare samples.

So your post roughly translates to that your delighted of the approval and you’re looking forward to getting normality back? Exciting stuff isn’t it?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

A lot of people were giving out that the EMA was taking too long, but the fact that it did not allow itself to be rushed into making a decision has blown away a lot of my hesitancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Brilliant that the Pfizer vaccine is approved.

A bit surprised the the first batch available to the EU is only 975k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A bit surprised the the first batch available to the EU is only 975k

It's been known for sometime that our initial allocation would be tiny. This is one reason why those who have followed the issue haven't really been concerned about when it gets approved.

Approving a week or two early won't increase the number of doses available.

We had a discussion in October where we determined that the allocation for Ireland upto the end of January was going to be about 30,000 doses (3 million for Europe).

Yes the initial amounts are tiny. Anyone who says we will be back to normal in March or May is placing bets on 3 or 4 more vaccines approved.

Moderna numbers will be less than Pfizer. There are hopes that astra Zenaca will have good numbers but they have trial issues that may delay approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

US just administered the first dose of the Moderna vaccine to a nurse in Connecticut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's been known for sometime that our initial allocation would be tiny. This is one reason why those who have followed the issue haven't really been concerned about when it gets approved.

Approving a week or two early won't increase the number of doses available.

We had a discussion in October where we determined that the allocation for Ireland upto the end of January was going to be about 30,000 doses (3 million for Europe).

Yes the initial amounts are tiny. Anyone who says we will be back to normal in March or May is placing bets on 3 or 4 more vaccines approved.

Moderna numbers will be less than Pfizer. There are hopes that astra Zenaca will have good numbers but they have trial issues that may delay approval.

Weren't Pfizer aiming for 50m doses being manufactured before year end. Surely the EU get more than 3m of that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Yeah, great news.

Also the report published by the UK Government seems promising after the first 100k+ doses distributed:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2020-12/slides-12-19/05-COVID-CLARK.pdf

See the page "V-safe Active Surveillance for C..." and then the Health Impact Events to Registrants with recorded 1st dose ratio, which is, to my very rough calculation, about 2.8%, which is only one per 35 Registrants.

So... if we serve the life saving doses (when the juice gets finally approved) to, say, 3.5 mln people of this country, less than 100k citizens will become ill, statistically. Not bad for the start, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

The Irish Times seemed to be suggesting we'd only be getting an initial 5000 doses, which seems really small.

Canada seems to have preordered ludicrous numbers of doses, works out at 9 per person.

I'm just wondering how vaccine nationalism is going to play out.

Germany is already going outside the EU arrangement:

https://www.ft.com/content/4c33d9bf-5ed9-43d4-b907-4d79d71599cf and cutting deals directly with BioNTech.

• Advertisement

AutoTuning wrote: »
    The Irish Times seemed to be suggesting we'd only be getting an initial 5000 doses, which seems really small.

Canada seems to have preordered ludicrous numbers of doses, works out at 9 per person.

https://www.ft.com/content/4c33d9bf-5ed9-43d4-b907-4d79d71599cf and cutting deals directly with BioNTech.

Canada received 30k Pfizer vaccines in there first order with a population of 37m

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Seweryn wrote: »
    So... if we serve the life saving doses (when the juice gets finally approved) to, say, 3.5 mln people of this country, less than 100k citizens will become ill, statistically. Not bad for the start, is it?
    This isn't the thread for twisting information.

We know that the side effects of vaccines for this disease will in some cases be stronger than people will normally have experienced. Some people might have to take a day off work. I remember having the Yellow fever vaccination and feeling unwell for a few days after - still better than getting Yellow fever.

Can’t open the link. Please quote the paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

hmmm wrote: »
    This isn't the thread for twisting information.

"The purpose of this thread is baked into the title - COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures".

The link shows post vac. testing results. However, if Moderators believe this is against the rules, please feel free to remove my post.

Can’t open the link. Please quote the paragraph

Better again, here's an open article

"Germany Looks Beyond EU Deal to Secure Covid Vaccine Doses
    Germany is conducting direct negotiations with domestic Covid-19 vaccine developers to obtain more doses than would be allocated through the shared European Union plan, Health Minister Jens Spahn said.
    The country is in talks with BioNTech SE, Pfizer Inc.’s partner on the first vaccine approved in a Western country against the virus, as well as CureVac NV and IDT Biologika GmbH, Spahn said Wednesday. All three German companies received funding through a government program to support Covid vaccine development."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-02/germany-seeks-covid-vaccine-doses-beyond-eu-deal-allocation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Better again, here's an open article

"Germany Looks Beyond EU Deal to Secure Covid Vaccine Doses
    Germany is conducting direct negotiations with domestic Covid-19 vaccine developers to obtain more doses than would be allocated through the shared European Union plan, Health Minister Jens Spahn said.
    The country is in talks with BioNTech SE, Pfizer Inc.’s partner on the first vaccine approved in a Western country against the virus, as well as CureVac NV and IDT Biologika GmbH, Spahn said Wednesday. All three German companies received funding through a government program to support Covid vaccine development."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-02/germany-seeks-covid-vaccine-doses-beyond-eu-deal-allocation

If it was an Irish company that developed three vaccine and the Irish government helped fund it, being honest you'd want a few extra doses wouldn't you.

If it was an Irish company that developed three vaccine and the Irish government helped fund it, being honest you'd want a few extra doses wouldn't you.

You might, but if we're not careful, you could well end up with EU countries bidding against each other.

There was a complete mess at the start of the pandemic, with several countries, including France and Germany, just blocking exports and grabbing PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So your post roughly translates to that your delighted of the approval and you’re looking forward to getting normality back? Exciting stuff isn’t it?:D

That's the great thing about a vaccine: if your delighted you take it, if you're not, you don't. It's very democratic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Seweryn wrote: »
    Yeah, great news.

Also the report published by the UK Government seems promising after the first 100k+ doses distributed:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2020-12/slides-12-19/05-COVID-CLARK.pdf

See the page "V-safe Active Surveillance for C..." and then the Health Impact Events to Registrants with recorded 1st dose ratio, which is, to my very rough calculation, about 2.8%, which is only one per 35 Registrants.

Mod:

I'd advise you read the OP before posting again. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sure but it undermines the whole idea of the EU-wide procurement process. To be honest our government should be out there doing the same thing as Germany. No point in being left behind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement