Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

By the end of March? We won't. If we have a few million doses by then we'll have done really well.

Would it be disingenuous to say Luke O Neill might know a bit more than you? Unless you're in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Also said he'd expect us to have access to 13 million vaccines by quarter 1 of the new year.

My concern is having 13 million vaccines left in storage because they're bumbling around trying to organise getting people vaccinated.

I'm hoping this won't happen of course but I am not confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Sky King wrote: »
    My concern is having 13 million vaccines left in storage because they're bumbling around trying to organise getting people vaccinated.

This exactly ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That should not be an issue until they hit the really big groups from 12-15, around the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Vaccine will be airlifted if necessary. For example, a UK haulage co has invested in two helicopters. They're used mainly to fly in JIT parts across the English Channel in 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Would it be disingenuous to say Luke O Neill might know a bit more than you? Unless you're in the field?

Look the how much has already been made and how much can be made by the main players. Then look at the preorders across the world. He is basically saying we'll have our full allocation of 5 vaccines by the end of March. We won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

is_that_so wrote: »
    That should not be an issue until they hit the really big groups from 12-15, around the summer.

If we have all our vaccines by end Q1 and we're not vaccinating groups 12-15 until the summer, then we have a problem.

The bottleneck should be the availability of vaccine, which we can't control, not our own ability to process people, which we should be able to, if managed properly.

Look the how much has already been made and how much can be made by the main players. Then look at the preorders across the world. He is basically saying we'll have our full allocation of 5 vaccines by the end of March. We won't.

Actually I'm wrong, if you look at our allocation of the six pre ordered vaccines it seems he has added them all together. And thinks they'll all be available by the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If we have all our vaccines by end Q1 and we're not vaccinating groups 12-15 until the summer, then we have a problem.

The bottleneck should be the availability of vaccine, which we can't control, not our own ability to process people, which we should be able to, if managed properly.
    We won't have them all by then, but we will have the potential to access a lot more supplies than the next few months. I really don't get why people have such low expectations. The first 10 groups can easily be taken care of on-site or by using the current network for flu' jabs. It's over the same time periods as the jabs. Then we'll need mass vaccination centres and COVID testing centres can take on a good bit of that. By the end of the summer we should be close enough to what we need, hopefully at 70%+ and by the end of the year the job should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just an FYI - the European Medicines Agency are meeting right now to decide on the Pfizer vaccine. Press conference expected at 2pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Just an FYI - the European Medicines Agency are meeting right now to decide on the Pfizer vaccine. Press conference expected at 2pm.

While they are at it, they should approve the Moderna vaccine at the same meeting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

By the end of March? We won't. If we have a few million doses by then we'll have done really well.

Have you a source for this please? Big claim to make

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

As regards Moderna...
    Taking due account of the progress made, the Committee has scheduled an extraordinary meeting on 6 January 2021 to conclude its assessment, if possible. The meeting planned for 12 January 2021 will be maintained if needed. These two meetings will be virtual, as the EMA premises are closed for external visitors and staff are currently working remotely due to the pandemic.
    https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/update-assessment-marketing-authorisation-application-modernas-mrna-1273-covid-19-vaccine

El Sueño wrote: »
    Have you a source for this please? Big claim to make

I wasn't making any claim. Luke O'Neill was.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show

13 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Luke O Neill is an expert.

I assume you're not.

So I'll ask again, could you provide us with a source for your claim? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I assume you're not.

Professor O'Neil is an expert in his field and I hope he has some kind of insider information on this because I want him to be right about his claim.

But if you look at the documentation published by the government less than a week ago they clearly say they only expect a low number of doses available in the early part of 2021 and from then on they say they don't know, that it depends on delivery schedules yet to be determined. Pages 10 and 11.

So either he knows more than the government or he is being overly optimistic. I hope it's the former.

I assume you're not.

Seriously, of the first 3 vaccines Astra Zeneca, moderna and Pfizer this is their stated manufacturing capacity for next year:

Astra zeneca: 2 billion, 1.2 in India with half reserved for poor countries and 800 m in other locations. Ready so far 50m.

Pfizer: 1.2b or 100m per month. Ready so far 50m.

Moderna: 550m. Ready so far, 10m.

Work that out and see how much could be reasonably ready worldwide every month. It would be nowhere near us having ALL our preorders ready by end of q1. As I have pointed out he was just adding together our full allocation in total. They won't be ready by the end of next March or even the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

EMA approval given for BioNTech / Pfizer

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

EMA approve Pfizer vaccine :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

EMA approval given for BioNTech / Pfizer

Great news

Now to see shipments

Approval is for those over the age of 16.

Approval is valid in all 27 EU member states.

Go time lads, fantastic news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Go go go :)

EU commission expected to sign off by this evening

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1341022130591440896?s=19

Great news! Hopefully we can get it sorted here soon too.

https://bit.ly/2JeIbhu

Edit; sigh tried to be lazy and copy paste the headline didn’t work so well :pac:

Monumental day. Fair play to the EMA.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement