Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Stheno wrote: »
    If our initial allocation is just 5000 doses and that's 1% of the EU allocation thats half a million doses for the EU next week

Does anyone else think that's a very small number?

The UK alone already got that many doses iirc

Were all patiented little boys and girls and can wait

Typical Irish generosity ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

Stheno wrote: »
    If our initial allocation is just 5000 doses and that's 1% of the EU allocation thats half a million doses for the EU next week

Does anyone else think that's a very small number?

The UK alone already got that many doses iirc

5,000 is the very minimum, much better to say 5,000 and deliver 20,000 than overpromise and fall short. anything coming from the HSE or government in relation to vaccine roll out will be the worst case scenario, then when they exceed expectations we will all think they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I wonder will they start easing restrictions after people are given their *first* or *second* dose. Common sense says second but I don't know have they said anything?

This is good news and provides people with tangible hope.There is a long road ahead. It will take many many months to role out a vaccine.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If the prevalence of disease starts subsiding then the vaccine(s) has been a success but it will be the end of next year probably before that is able to be quantified.

In terms of returning to something closer to 2019 wrt normality my hunch, all going well, would be the 3rd quarter of 2021 to see meaningful steps.

If you mean full normality with zero restrictions i'd be eyeing the first quarter of 2022.

For 2021 it will be mostly up and down restrictions but after March hopefully we can avoid the toughest of those from then on as vaccines continue to be administered. Best case is we get to a point in spring where level 5 is no longer needed as an option.

That would be a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Aren't 85% of hospital admissions from the vulnerable section of our society

These jabs are going to make such a huge difference very quickly

It really cant be overstated

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We kind of opened up this month and the place has clearly gone mad breaking most of the rules by the cases we’ve seen since. For every new lockedown people are going to care less as we reopen. These restrictions are being adhered to less and less as people fatigue of them (it has been 9 months you know) and this trend will continue.

It’s upto the government of Ireland now and other countries to put every bit of energy into this rollout. There is no reason not to. The people have had enough. Talks of lockdowns until 2022 is comical stuff. People will just stop caring before then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

All well and good having a vaccine approved. However we still have Tony Holohan , Stephen Donnelly ,Mehole etc administering the rolling out of it.

We`ll be even more ****ed letting this lot get near the roll out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Hellrazer wrote: »
    All well and good having a vaccine approved. However we still have Tony Holohan , Stephen Donnelly ,Mehole etc administering the rolling out of it.

Would you prefer Karen from Facebook manage it then?

Christ's sake - it would do no harm to have some positivity out of this news rather than resorting to insults. (I'm no FF fan before you ask.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hellrazer wrote: »

None of them will be anywhere near it, it'll be the HSE and the first two groups are the most at risk but manageable numbers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ElJeffe wrote: »
    About time.

HSE all eyes on you.
    Gael23 wrote: »
    Now for the HSE to do their part
    Would you prefer Karen from Facebook manage it then?

Christ's sake - it would do no harm to have some positivity out of this news rather than resorting to insults. (I'm no FF fan before you ask.)

Karen from Facebook would probably do a better job of it.

Maybe its just the cynic in me but I really fear letting the 3 muppets of the apocalypse anywhere near this roll out.

We as a country dont usually do things the right way when it comes down to it.

We can all be as positive as we like but I feel we (the government) will make a balls of this roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I can't keep up with the emotional rollercoaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have prepurchased 2.2M of Pfizer and 880,000 Moderna, so that will vaccinate 1.5M people as soon as we can get it.

I sense negativity creeping in regarding the success of the vaccines. Surely this time next year Christmas will be the same as 2019.

Water John wrote: »
    We have prepurchased 2.2M of Pfizer and 880,000 Moderna, so that will vaccinate 1.5M people as soon as we can get it.

We are part or a purchase agreement which gets us 2.2m Pfizer and 880k Moderna. They are not all manufactured yet however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Aren't 85% of hospital admissions from the vulnerable section of our society

These jabs are going to make such a huge difference very quickly

It really cant be overstated

This something I've been thinking about, how quickly should we see deaths reducing? The UK are a bit ahead so we should see a reduction in deaths there at some point due to the vaccine but will it be 2 weeks/1 month/2 months?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And by the time we’ve got around to that we should have AstraZeneca, Janssen and possibly Novavax. We’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Probably a very naive question but was wondering do big pharma like Pfizer sell the “ recipe “ to another company ?
    So could Pfizer sell the vaccine recipe and allow it to be manufactured in other plants around the world ?

JMNolan wrote: »
    This something I've been thinking about, how quickly should we see deaths reducing? The UK are a bit ahead so we should see a reduction in deaths there at some point due to the vaccine but will it be 2 weeks/1 month/2 months?

I dont think it will be noticeable for a time 6-8 weeks, and then all of a sudden people will be saying "where the f are all the hospitalisations gone?"

Plus 3m of the Astrazeneca and similar of both CureVac and Janssen(J&J).

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

I dont think it will be noticeable for a time 6-8 weeks, and then all of a sudden people will be saying "where the f are all the hospitalisations gone?"

Totally agree cases number will continue as are for a period and at some stage the hospitalisations will just stop, looking forward to my first pint in a nice country pub already

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

marno21 wrote: »
    Talks of lockdowns until 2022 is comical stuff. People will just stop caring before then.

No-one has mentioned lockdowns until 2022.

Unless vaccines are ineffective of course...

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    And by the time we’ve got around to that we should have AstraZeneca, Janssen and possibly Novavax. We’ll be grand.
    I don't think there is an EU deal for Novavax just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Very much agreed but will NPHET be satisfied with that? Vaccines won’t stop people getting the virus as we know

Very much agreed but will NPHET be satisfied with that? Vaccines won’t stop people getting the virus as we know
    It will take away the central core of their argument - to protect the health service.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Probably a very naive question but was wondering do big pharma like Pfizer sell the “ recipe “ to another company ?
    So could Pfizer sell the vaccine recipe and allow it to be manufactured in other plants around the world ?

Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Manufacturing is not as simple as sharing the recipe. The manufacturing process itself can have an influence on the output and each manufacturer probably has processes which are propriety, even if the recipes are public knowledge. If Pfizer were to make the recipe publicly available, any manufacturer who attempted to replicate would need to satisfy the regulatory bodies the the vaccine produced met the same outcomes. Even if Pfizer were to extend manufacturing to another facility in their network, the same would need to be done. The more likely outcome is the Pfizer licence the manufacturing IP to a third party contractor, but the qualification takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

iamwhoiam wrote: »

AFAIK Oxford have agreed to this, they are not looking to make a profit.

Think some of the others, who used it to speed up dev of mRNA technology are on breakeven finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

is_that_so wrote: »
      It will take away the central core of their argument - to protect the health service.

They will find something else that needs to be protected.

1. Registered Users Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

AFAIK Oxford have agreed to this, they are not looking to make a profit.

Think some of the others, who used it to speed up dev of mRNA technology are on breakeven finance.

Thank you . It would be great if the manufacturing could be spread out

2. Registered Users Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Manufacturing is not as simple as sharing the recipe. The manufacturing process itself can have an influence on the output and each manufacturer probably has processes which are propriety, even if the recipes are public knowledge. If Pfizer were to make the recipe publicly available, any manufacturer who attempted to replicate would need to satisfy the regulatory bodies the the vaccine produced met the same outcomes. Even if Pfizer were to extend manufacturing to another facility in their network, the same would need to be done. The more likely outcome is the Pfizer licence the manufacturing IP to a third party contractor, but the qualification takes time.

Thank you . Have always wonderful about that process .

3. Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Doubt if any of the mRNA vaccines would be licienced. The Oxford one is old style tech and so would be easier.

4. Advertisement
    5. Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They will find something else that needs to be protected.
      They'd be overruled. It would be very hard to justify non-existent hospital COVID cases to maintain restrictions, especially when government want to get to Levels 1&2 and normality.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement