Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I can't recall where I saw it, but some of Ricciardo's issues are supposedly down to differences in brakes

The way Danny normally trail brakes is causing understeer in the car or something along those lines, if you're not confident under the brakes you can find every corner difficult and that in the past was where he was so good. He might be braking earlier, or if he has issues in the corner he mightn't get the power down as early as Lando would

I don't know if its as simple as just Renault power

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

duploelabs wrote: »
    Well that's not logistically possible as they have to finish the qualifying at a certain time

Well that's just wrong, we have all watched qualifying sessions that have dragged on because of red flag stoppages, some of those being fairly lengthy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Joeface wrote: »

Dainel Ricciardo has only ever driven Renault power. even with the change to Renault team they could adapt the car a little to suit him , Mclaren car is proven by Sainz and Norris performances last season so with the Engine change this has only added to Daniel Ricciardo. Vettel even mentions talking to Ricciardo about some of differences they were find between how the cars handle .

Small edit. Ricciardo drove the Ferrari in the TR in 2011. Long time ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Small edit. Ricciardo drove the Ferrari in the TR in 2011. Long time ago though.

I thought that , but then could remember if Sainz drove Ferrari TR as well and then decide I was too lazy to google

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Danny Ric also drove the Cosworth-powered heap that was the Hispania F111 all the way back in 2011.

• Advertisement

I watched this video yesterday and it really drives home the tiny margins in motorsport. It's only a videogame but using ghosts you can see that miniscule differences can add up to a second a lap even when you can see exactly where others do things differently.
    In real life with actual danger and consequences that's all magnified and even moreso in F1. A tiny lack of confidence through a couple of corners and that's half a second. It really is insane when you break down the differences.

Ricciardo is a top tier driver but it turns out that messing with a fundamental driving characteristic can bring them down from orbit with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

guyfo wrote: »
    Well that's just wrong, we have all watched qualifying sessions that have dragged on because of red flag stoppages, some of those being fairly lengthy too!

In fairness, I was responding to the question why they don't start the races earlier, not extending to running them later

I watched this video yesterday and it really drives home the tiny margins in motorsport. It's only a videogame but using ghosts you can see that miniscule differences can add up to a second a lap even when you can see exactly where others do things differently.
    In real life with actual danger and consequences that's all magnified and even moreso in F1. A tiny lack of confidence through a couple of corners and that's half a second. It really is insane when you break down the differences.

Ricciardo is a top tier driver but it turns out that messing with a fundamental driving characteristic can bring them down from orbit with a bang.
    In respect to SuperGT, he's not even at the top tier of Gran Turismo players so when you watch the likes of Tigney or Kie, then margins demanded are even closer

duploelabs wrote: »
    In respect to SuperGT, he's not even at the top tier of Gran Turismo players so when you watch the likes of Tigney or Kie, then margins demanded are even closer

Ah yeah he's not top level but a second a lap sounds like he's miles off but it's pretty tiny differences while sitting at a desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

A couple of other things changed in 2021, in that there was less testing mileage preseason, but also the practice sessions at each weekend are shorter than before. I'm not sure if the budget caps will have limited simulator time too.

We've seen this with a number of drivers. Ricciardo and Alonso have really struggled uncharacteristically. Rookies like Tsunoda and Mazepin have been dreadful - Mick Schumacher is coping better than Mazepin but who knows where he'd stand relative to a Grosjean or Magnussen. Perez continues to struggle in qualifying and although he's better on Sunday, he's still miles away from his teammate.

Vettel and Sainz seem to be the only drivers who've really gotten on top of things, Vettel taking slightly longer which is understandable given that his car spent almost the entirety of testing and a couple of the early season practice sessions broken down so he had way fewer laps than anyone else to get acclimatised. Sainz has basically been on the pace from day one. I don't know if the fact that he signed to Ferrari so early last year helped him get a head start in the simulator or anything, or maybe it's just a comfortable car to jump into from the McLaren.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    A couple of other things changed in 2021, in that there was less testing mileage preseason, but also the practice sessions at each weekend are shorter than before. I'm not sure if the budget caps will have limited simulator time too.

We've seen this with a number of drivers. Ricciardo and Alonso have really struggled uncharacteristically. Rookies like Tsunoda and Mazepin have been dreadful - Mick Schumacher is coping better than Mazepin but who knows where he'd stand relative to a Grosjean or Magnussen. Perez continues to struggle in qualifying and although he's better on Sunday, he's still miles away from his teammate.

Vettel and Sainz seem to be the only drivers who've really gotten on top of things, Vettel taking slightly longer which is understandable given that his car spent almost the entirety of testing and a couple of the early season practice sessions broken down so he had way fewer laps than anyone else to get acclimatised. Sainz has basically been on the pace from day one. I don't know if the fact that he signed to Ferrari so early last year helped him get a head start in the simulator or anything, or maybe it's just a comfortable car to jump into from the McLaren.

I think there's a cap on wind tunnel time and runs (and the computer generated version where they simulate a wind tunnel called Computerised Fluid Dynamics, (CFD)). But I don't think there's any limit on the time Ricciardo can spend in the mclaren simulator.

Sainz has been close to leclerc, but he's not on leclercs pace yet. He's probably closer than some people ever expected him to get to leclerc (doubly impressive when you consider how far the other driver who moved teams are from their teammates) but I think leclerc is still in charge of that battle.

Vettel has had 2 good weekends in a row out of 5. Not bad, but not really an indication of how he's doing. Monaco was very good result but the track is so unsuitable it doesn't give a clear indication of anything. If he can consistently beat stroll then that's a good sign that his form funk could be over. Consistency has been one of his big problems in the last few years so we'll have to wait and see how he does in the coming weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I know there is a thread somewhere on Hamilton but can't be arsed to go look now so if a moderator wants to move this they are welcome too,

Hamiltons love life seems to be none exist since Nicole Scherzinger. So who do you think would be a good match for him.

Here is two options I think would be good,

1) Naomi Osaka: but maybe she might be a bit young

2) Katie Taylor: but had on Irish mammy on FB say no just no but no idea why.

So who would make a good pairing with him?

AMKC wrote: »
    I know there is a thread somewhere on Hamilton but can't be arsed to go look now so if a moderator wants to move this they are welcome too,

Hamiltons love life seems to be none exist since Nicole Scherzinger. So who do you think would be a good match for him.

Here is two options I think would be good,

1) Naomi Osaka: but maybe she might be a bit young

2) Katie Taylor: but had on Irish mammy on FB say no just no but no idea why.

So who would make a good pairing with him?

Who cares what's happening in his love life, completely irrelevant to the sport

Only Alpine Have confirmed so far that they have Updates to the car for BAKU , hopefully to make them as competitive as they were suppose to be in Monaco .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭klose

Are we excited for Baku? Will we get a back marker podium like stroll for Williams? Or a driver ramming his teammate up his arse ala redbull?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

klose wrote: »
    Are we excited for Baku? Will we get a back marker podium like stroll for Williams? Or a driver ramming his teammate up his arse ala redbull?

I most certainly am! What about you Miroslav?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

klose wrote: »

Hopefully - some controversy would be great :D

Only Alpine Have confirmed so far that they have Updates to the car for BAKU , hopefully to make them as competitive as they were suppose to be in Monaco .

Renault started very poor last year and they brought little incremental improvements to every race. By half way through the season they were pretty competitive and much more competitive than the first few races.

Wouldn't be surprised if they took the same approach again this year.

First Power circuit this year as well really , should make interesting in Qualifying as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

First Power circuit this year as well really , should make interesting in Qualifying as well

Thos flexi wings will really come in handy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭This is it

OSI wrote: »
    Maybe Vettel will "accidentally" drive into someone again

Or drive into them and blame them! Ala Ocon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was always afraid I was sounding old when I would say I preferred the V10/V8 era cars. But this video kinda confirms it. Older cars were to much sharper on corner entry, we basically have limos now.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭barryribs

Just finished listening to beyond the grid with Roberto Moreno, bizarre to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hello all

Just wondering if someone with a proper sky sub, could you find out for me when this Sunday's race will be replayed in full? Have to drop the missus somewhere around that time

Tia
    Omt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

barryribs wrote: »
    Just finished listening to beyond the grid with Roberto Moreno, bizarre to say the least.

He drove mostly awful crap in F1, with the Andrea Moda being the most crappiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭barryribs

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    He drove mostly awful crap in F1, with the Andrea Moda being the most crappiest.
    Not so much his career, but his emotional state. There seemed to be quite a bit of editing too so I can only assume that he went off track. Tom Clarkson didn't even get to ask his mandatory 'How good is Lewis' question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Hello all

Just wondering if someone with a proper sky sub, could you find out for me when this Sunday's race will be replayed in full? Have to drop the missus somewhere around that time

Tia
    Omt

11:55pm Sunday night I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hijpo wrote: »
    11:55pm Sunday night I think

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Should be interesting to see how Perez performs here. Historically been a very good track for him putting a midfield team like Force India on the front row in 2016 and getting 2 podiums out of 4 races there. Be great to see him out quali Max again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

barryribs wrote: »

Think I'll skip this one so.

It's a wonder they haven't been able to get a hold of Eddie Irvine as yet. I'm sure it's not from lack of trying from the podcast producers end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement