Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The punishment for mistakes is an interesting point. I'd be fine if they made runoffs damaging to tyres so they shorten their life or make a pitstop necessary. I bet the same fans would oppose those changes for the same reasons they oppose changing Monaco - because its not what they're used to.

We got a taste of it in grrmany 2019 when that drag strip had no traction in the wet and they just slid on it. Likewise, if they want to stop them exceeding track limits. Make a genuine penalty. They can't exceed track limits in Monaco because the limit is a wall. If the track was bordered by a couple of meters of slippy surface and then gravel or tarmac, they wouldn't exceed track limits as it wouldn't be worth it.

But any thing like that represents change and change = bad in f1 these days.

To me the solution is a lot easier. It's just something like the radio fence that keeps the dog from going outside the garden boundary. You put a sensor in the middle of the car that triggers say a 5% power loss for a given time (enough to incur a real penalty). The cable is placed around the track just marginally more than half the car width from the track limits line. 5% loss wouldn't result in sudden deceleration or abnormal low speed so would be safe and given the money involved in F1, is relatively cheap. They already can pin point a cars relative position for DRS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If a friend asked you for a recommendation to get in to F1, would you honestly recommend Monaco?

If I wanted to show someone how skilled F1 drivers are, or give them an impression of just how fast they go, I'd show them onboard footage from Monaco. Even after a quarter century of watching F1, I was in awe yesterday watching some of the footage. It was almost as if it was being played at double speed.

Sure, there are rarely overtakes in the race, but the same could be said for other tracks. At least in Monaco there are other aspects that make it appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭barryribs

Id say there is less chance of an outsider down the grid car winning in Monaco, sky had a stat yesterday during FP3 that something like in 53 of the last 67 races, the winner has come from the front row!

Winners from the front row
    Austin 100%
    Abu Dabi 92%
    Barcelona 90%
    Istanbul 88%
    Suzuka 84%
    Interlagos 78%
    Paul Ricard 75%
    Baku 75%
    A1 Ring 73%
    Nurburgring 71%
    China 69%
    Hungaroring 69%
    Monaco 68%
    Sakhir 67%
    Singapore 67%
    Silverstone 65%
    Montreal 65%
    Spa 64%
    Melb 63%
    Imola 62%
    Monza 53%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

0goqg5h76q071.gif

Those who think that it's only exciting when the cars go fast are usually the ones who find monaco boring and don't appreciate the skill inherent in getting around there in the shortest time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You'd swear Monaco was blocking some other epic race like Malaysia or Turkey from being permanently on the calendar the way some nay sayers are passionate about dropping the race. Trust me, they still wouldn't return even if the Monaco slot opened up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Id say there is less chance of an outsider down the grid car winning in Monaco, sky had a stat yesterday during FP3 that something like in 53 of the last 67 races, the winner has come from the front row!
    It's the hope that kills you!
    The punishment for mistakes is an interesting point. I'd be fine if they made runoffs damaging to tyres so they shorten their life or make a pitstop necessary. I bet the same fans would oppose those changes for the same reasons they oppose changing Monaco - because its not what they're used to.

We got a taste of it in grrmany 2019 when that drag strip had no traction in the wet and they just slid on it. Likewise, if they want to stop them exceeding track limits. Make a genuine penalty. They can't exceed track limits in Monaco because the limit is a wall. If the track was bordered by a couple of meters of slippy surface and then gravel or tarmac, they wouldn't exceed track limits as it wouldn't be worth it.

But any thing like that represents change and change = bad in f1 these days.
    Maybe I'm old school, but I prefer the days of gravel traps than large run off areas. Yeah, it's not nice if you make a mistake and get stuck in it, but, it makes things more interesting and keeps the drivers on their toes. There'd be likely less issue with track limits too if there was a risk of ending up in the gravel.

As you said, though, it'll never happen these days. They need to come up with something that makes these large run off areas less appealing to drivers

https://imgur.com/gallery/O4b4LAq

Surprised I hadn't seen this before. Very nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Max Mosley died, someone who shaped formula one to what it is today. He will be missed

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

RIP Max, he really shaped F1 into what it is today alongside Bernie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

TCP/IP wrote: »
    RIP Max, he really shaped F1 into what it is today alongside Bernie.

To say he had a colourful past would be putting it mildly (and charitably). But he certainly did a lot of good in F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

He helped make the sport safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    He helped make the sport safer.

Offset by what occoured in his dungeon

duploelabs wrote: »
    Offset by what occoured in his dungeon

How many hoors a man wants at a time and how he wants them to role-play, is between the man and his wife and the hoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I read his autobiography in lockdown. He has a connection to Ireland as he lived here for a bit.

Did a lot for road safety with NCAP.

And these days for fighting the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

that is savage destruction .

afatbollix wrote: »
    I read his autobiography in lockdown. He has a connection to Ireland as he lived here for a bit.

Did a lot for road safety with NCAP.

And these days for fighting the press.

HIs dad was interred during the war because his dad (Oswald Mosely) was pro-Nazi. He was probably hoping the Nazi's won the war and he was in with a shout of being appointed the Nazi leader (or high position) in England. Left Britain after the war instead of getting back into politics and came to live in Ireland in the 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

HIs dad was interred during the war because his dad (Oswald Mosely) was pro-Nazi. He was probably hoping the Nazi's won the war and he was in with a shout of being appointed the Nazi leader (or high position) in England. Left Britain after the war instead of getting back into politics and came to live in Ireland in the 50s

He was also a baddie in Peaky Blinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭quokula

RIP Max. Whatever you might say about his private life and upbringing, he was undoubtedly a steady hand at the FIA and the sport was much stronger under his stewardship. Always chose what was right over what was popular, and wasn't afraid to upset powerful teams for the good of the sport, unlike the FIA of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I was often in the house he lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

vectra wrote: »
    I was often in the house he lived in.

Where is that located like what county? You do not have to say exactly where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

AMKC wrote: »
    Where is that located like what county? You do not have to say exactly where.

Fermoy. Co.Cork.

Within walking distance of my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ocon is doing a good job in a not so good car so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lads, is it completely out of the question that Ireland could ever host an F1 race? Mondello just doesn't cut it the way it is, so serious upgrades would be required, but what about a street race? Just curious.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Ocon is doing a good job in a not so good car so far this season.

Hard to know hoe good the car is because we don't have a solid benchmark in his teammate to measure him against. Alonso seems to have lost whatever made him flow they way he did. We know he was about as good as Ric last year so Ocon is probably doing a good job like you said. But the lack of a good teammate makes it difficult to know how good the car is.

Lads, is it completely out of the question that Ireland could ever host an F1 race? Mondello just doesn't cut it the way it is, so serious upgrades would be required, but what about a street race? Just curious.

It would be fun but I wouldn't encourage it. It would be a tremendous transfer of taxpayer money from public hands to foreign private hands without adding any actual value to the country. While service businesses would do a great weekend, it wouldn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

From a marketing standpoint an Irish Grand Prix would be a goldmine for the FIA, and ironically a good way to capture more of the American market! I can’t see it happening tho! There is just no desire for it at a political level despite having the fan base and draw to do so. My memory is foggy but I think it was discussed at a serious level back in the 90’s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd be slightly more optimistic about a Formula E race rather than a Formula 1. Phoenix Park has a history of being used as a race track so it would be an ideal central location for an e-prix. Can't really see any love for the idea however. Rally of Ireland was an expensive disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It would be fun but I wouldn't encourage it. It would be a tremendous transfer of taxpayer money from public hands to foreign private hands without adding any actual value to the country. While service businesses would do a great weekend, it wouldn't be worth it.

Isn't that the same with every country, though? It must be worth the likes of Vietnam/Azerbaijan/Mexico/Singapore/Bahrain's while or they wouldn't be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

If there was no Irish Grand Prix when Jordan were in F1 it won’t happen now

• Advertisement

With tickets to claw back some of the cost it could easily be run for a loss of about €10 million or so. How much do Failte Ireland spend on advertising abroad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement