Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Isn't that the same with every country, though? It must be worth the likes of Vietnam/Azerbaijan/Mexico/Singapore/Bahrain's while or they wouldn't be doing it.

Singapore is a different story as it makes money for them. The other countries you mention are pretty corrupt (Mexico aside). They have no problem wasting money, sending loads of tax-payer money to private companies for the sake of a one-off event which will never cover its own cost. You could add in Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, Bahrain.

Some are really well thought out and well funded and can make money for the city, like Canada and Singapore. Canada has a policy where it's funded jointly by the city, state and federal governments. Montreal also has a festival the same weekend and it gets over 1,000,000 people who travel over 40KM to the city (that's how they measure it) and the vast majority will never go to the F1. They make it back in employment tax, sales tax, corporation tax, and the fact that so many people and businesses make money over the weekend and they spend it later. It actually makes money.

Singapore has a similar deal. Some countries are paying huge sums of public money to "sports-wash" their image. I'm not sure what Ireland's reason for hosting a GP would be. Building a purpose built track would be a colossal waste of money as we don't have a culture of motor racing to make use of it the rest of the year.

I wouldn't encourage it unless they could do a street race while causing minimal disruption to the city (e.g. using mostly Phoenix Park) and it wold actually make money. I would whole heartedly oppose it as a vanity project for Ireland or F1 fans

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭barryribs

Just a reminder that this is what the track in Valencia looks like now.

img_1362.jpg?w=625

• Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Formula e in Ireland in the Phoenix park maybe but a Formula 1 race not a hope now. When Jordon were in F1 that would have been the time to do it. It's too late now. I would love to go to an F1 race in Ireland but it will never happen.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Also if anybody wants to see how we could ruin an event look at how we made a giant mess of the World Rally was when it came to Ireland. It left such a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

Got a handy link? Have a vague recollection of it being ****ed up but can't remember how.

It's a different scale to F1 though. Does anywhere show live coverage of WRC? How many tickets are sold for WRC events? etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Ocon is doing a good job in a not so good car so far this season.

He is, but Fernando seems to be struggling, which is sad to see. Ocon is a decent driver, but I doubt he'd stand a chance against the Alonso of 5-10 years ago.

Even if Fernando is struggling to get to grips with the car then that's still a sign he's not as good as he was, as one of his strengths was being able to extract the most out of whatever car he was given.

• Advertisement

An F1 track here was a tiger thing, but died with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He is, but Fernando seems to be struggling, which is sad to see. Ocon is a decent driver, but I doubt he'd stand a chance against the Alonso of 5-10 years ago.

Even if Fernando is struggling to get to grips with the car then that's still a sign he's not as good as he was, as one of his strengths was being able to extract the most out of whatever car he was given.

You would have to wonder did the time away dull his sense. I for one hope not and hope we get to see the exceptional Fernando we have seen before again. He should be having an easier time of it now than when he was at McLaren last so if he could just muster some of what he had at McLaren he could be doing as good as he can in the Alpine. Should be up near the front of the midfield most of the time at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭barryribs

AMKC wrote: »
    You would have to wonder did the time away dull his sense. I for one hope not and hope we get to see the exceptional Fernando we have seen before again. He should be having an easier time of it now than when he was at McLaren last so if he could just muster some of what he had at McLaren he could be doing as good as he can in the Alpine. Should be up near the front of the midfield most of the time at least.

The worrying thing for Alpine is that Alonso just doesn't look like he has any pace. Whether he is adjusting to the car or not, it is not like him at all. There is a massive gap between them and Alpha Tauri, albeit not reflected in the points because of Tsunoda's performance so far. Maybe it will suit the car will suit the more power hungry circuits coming up but its not looking too bright and much as I like Alonso, its starting to look like this will end in a very Alonso fashion.

A lot of drivers who have changed teams this season have struggled it seems, with the one unexpected exception - Sainz has been brilliant this year. Got the strategy wrong in Portugal cost them points but even salvaged 5th in Imola after a few mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

AMKC wrote: »
    You would have to wonder did the time away dull his sense.
    He's forty years old (more or less). There's scarecely a person alive whose physical attributes haven't started to deteriorate at that age.

F1 to consider an Indi rule that would mean anyone who causes a red flag in quali has their time deleted. It doesn't look like they're going to change the rule but it wouldn't be a bad idea in Monaco at least.

Motorsport.com: FIA to look at IndyCar rule that would have denied Leclerc pole.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-look-at-indycar-rule-that-would-have-denied-leclerc-pole/6515091/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The McLaren MP4-25A driven by Lewis Hamilton will be auctioned at the British GP in July, estimated to take between $5m to $7m.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The approaching Indy 500 has got me thinking.
    Looks like The USA have nearly gotten on top of Covid 19 and the US GP is likely to go ahead with something resembling full capacity.
    Mexico and Brazil would still be a concern however. I'm wondering if Indiapolis infield might come into consideration if one of those had to pull out.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    In the lower categories that's often the rule, you cause a red flag and your out.

It's not a bad rule (certainly for Monaco). I wouldn't be a big proponent of the rule put i wouldn't object if they bring it in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If nothing else it would end the talk of someone crashing intentionally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

F1 to consider an Indi rule that would mean anyone who causes a red flag in quali has their time deleted. It doesn't look like they're going to change the rule but it wouldn't be a bad idea in Monaco at least.

Motorsport.com: FIA to look at IndyCar rule that would have denied Leclerc pole.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-look-at-indycar-rule-that-would-have-denied-leclerc-pole/6515091/amp/

And was it Rosberg too that ran wide and blocked the exit before the entrance to the hairpin? Causing a stop to the quali and securing him pole

duploelabs wrote: »
    And was it Rosberg too that ran wide and blocked the exit before the entrance to the hairpin? Causing a stop to the quali and securing him pole

Yes but i think that only caused a double waved yellow flag rather than a red flag. The Mercedes went out in tandem in quali and he knew Lewis was right behind him and the waved yellow flag thwarted Lewis' lap as successfully as a red flag. But it didn't cause a red flag - i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I would rather a system that anyone on a flying lap at the time got another lap

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

Much easier solution, which means it would never be used

Well that's not logistically possible as they have to finish the qualifying at a certain time

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Re. qualifying red flag, you don't even need to cause a red flag to scupper others' qualifying, just a yellow near the end of the session will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I hope the FIA stick a big weight on the front of that Merc to test it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's a programme on TG4 right now about school kids making F1 cars. (in Irish with subtitles)

duploelabs wrote: »
    Well that's not logistically possible as they have to finish the qualifying at a certain time

Surely there is a way around that. Start qualifying earlier

There's still the other races of the weekend that couldn't be shortened

Start qualifying earlier just in case there's a red flag at the end of quali caused by the person currently on pole?

all im saying is that everything should be shedueled to allow for this. its only 10min max unless there is major damage and that would delay things anyway.
    F1 is suposed to be the pinicle of the sport. surely it should get priority .
    its only going to happen once or twice a season anyway so not a major scedueling issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

On the reasons why Danny Ric is slower than Norris

Seidl says McLaren is doing everything it can to try to help Ricciardo, but suggests the root of the problem is that the 2021 MCL35M does not require a normal style of driving. “I think if you look back since the beginning of the season, we have made good steps forward with him,” said Seidl.
    “But in order to drive our car fast at the moment, you need a special driving style which is not natural for Daniel. That's why it's not so easy for him to get the laps in and extract the performance.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclarens-special-driving-style-is-whats-hurting-ricciardo/6515806/

Debub wrote: »
    On the reasons why Danny Ric is slower than Norris

Seidl says McLaren is doing everything it can to try to help Ricciardo, but suggests the root of the problem is that the 2021 MCL35M does not require a normal style of driving. “I think if you look back since the beginning of the season, we have made good steps forward with him,” said Seidl.
    “But in order to drive our car fast at the moment, you need a special driving style which is not natural for Daniel. That's why it's not so easy for him to get the laps in and extract the performance.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclarens-special-driving-style-is-whats-hurting-ricciardo/6515806/

Without reading the article, first thing to mind that stands out would be DR needing a car that brakes extremely well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Sainz has driven 4 different cars in 6 years , while the First Three were Renault powered at least he had the Chassis and inter team differences to adapt to the Ferrari .

Vettel has drive Renault and Ferrari power but spent a long time in each , But adapted reasonable well to Aston Martin as of now..

Perez has done pretty well considering the amount of Time he spent with Force India/Aston but his Adapting has been hit and miss but smooth enough

Dainel Ricciardo has only ever driven Renault power. even with the change to Renault team they could adapt the car a little to suit him , Mclaren car is proven by Sainz and Norris performances last season so with the Engine change this has only added to Daniel Ricciardo. Vettel even mentions talking to Ricciardo about some of differences they were find between how the cars handle .

One additional thing to throw in is If it had been a normal season start eg 2019 after the Opening Season test and the first 2 races all drivers would be in around 3800km in their cars ......... They have only passed that mark in Monaco . So that is a lot of time to adjust to the cars.

I am surprised still that Ricciardo struggled , His race pace has been fine some weekends but he is a long way back in Qualifying .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement