Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Williams livery?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That looks familiar...
    Coloni-C4-Ford-70552.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I like the shark gills on the side but it's a livery that wouldn't take any major sponsors well. A sponsor would get a bit lost on the busy engine cover. Sad but that's where F1 is at the moment. Hopefully they can Improve and get some more sponsors on board.

Also, sidepods used to be a big area for sponsorship and now the sidepods have shrunk. The Williams has very little side pod area.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭barryribs

_117466178_williams.jpg
    Rake angle suggests the car is set up for the ploughing championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It's super unique, and stands out which I like. It's pretty barren with sponsors - I think that would help, but as someone else said, I don't think sponsors would be too keen on the current design,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Serious BAR vibes from that Williams for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Jordan 199 wrote: »

No, I don't really like it either. It's fairly ugly compared to some of the others that have been shown to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

It’s.... yeah, look, I applaud them for something different in terms of livery. But it just doesn’t work for me. Hard to imagine how an incoming sponsor would fit on the side pod or barge board without getting lost in the design. The similarities between a stock custom skin in the Codemasters games comes to mind. Maybe when we see it on track, it might work.

But put it this way, if that was my best effort for a car livery, I’d definitely be playing the ‘my app got hacked’ excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Rumour is that Binotto is gone. Tbc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is there any actual photos of the car or has it even been built yet? The computer generated images they have released don't have the same engine cover bulge as the Mercedes or Aston Martin either. I'd be worried they are still way behind on development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

recyclebin wrote: »
    Is there any actual photos of the car or has it even been built yet? The computer generated images they have released don't have the same engine cover bulge as the Mercedes or Aston Martin either. I'd be worried they are still way behind on development.

I thought that too then just thought maybe they have a fatter engine cover either that or they are using last years Mercedes engine or like you said they are behind and have not got it finished yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

McLaren doesn't seem to have the bulge either, and I've checked both the launch photos and the filming day photos. Maybe it's just a coincidence that the Mercedes and Aston Martin have it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Killinator wrote: »
    Personally I know a lot of people don't like the sons of money getting drives and 100% there are more talented drivers missing out as a result of 'daddy's money', buuuuut on the flip side if it wasn't for 'daddy's money's there could be at least 2 teams less on the grid, 4 drives gone.

Force India and more recently Haas have been one punch away from a knockout blow to their F1 endeavors.
    If 'Daddy Stroll' doesn't buy into Force India, sure we don't have to watch Sir Lancelot buuut we most likely don't get to watch anyone else in his stead either as there is no team at all.

Don't forget to add Williams to that list. Without Laurence Stroll or Nicholas Latifis father, they would surely be gone a few years ago.

I don't get the hate for Lance tbh. He isn't exactly the worst driver out there. It's not as of he was plucked out of 2 years in karting and his dad bought his seat in f1. He has a good history in the junior formulas and has had a few podiums. That doesn't happen because his father paid for his seat. He got a podium in a Williams for god sake.

There are some really strong driver lineups this year. Who do you think is the strongest combined driver lineup? Could be LeClerc and Sainz. Could be Verstappen and Perez. Could it be Danny and Lando?

I think Sainz and LeClerc is the strongest overall. Leclerc is fast but a bit prone to mistakes. Sainz is probably not as fast but pretty solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/56296858
    Romain Grosjean suffered an impact of 67G in his fiery crash at the Bahrain Grand Prix, the official report into the incident concludes.

jeez still amazed he walked away from that one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭This is it

There are some really strong driver lineups this year. Who do you think is the strongest combined driver lineup? Could be LeClerc and Sainz. Could be Verstappen and Perez. Could it be Danny and Lando?

I think Sainz and LeClerc is the strongest overall. Leclerc is fast but a bit prone to mistakes. Sainz is probably not as fast but pretty solid.

I'm hoping for a strong show from LeClerc and Sainz this year. A few podiums and 3rd in the constructors would be a huge leap. Would like to see Vettel and Mick Schumacher do well also.

As much as I slated Vettel last season, with good reason in my opinion, he was a fantastic driver and I really hope he recovers his previous form. Seems like a genuine lad and you can't deny his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

recyclebin wrote: »

Engine cover is a different shape to the AM and Merc. Hard to tell but looks like they have a bigger dome shape on the Williams. AM and Merc looks to be packaged tighter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Don't forget to add Williams to that list. Without Laurence Stroll or Nicholas Latifis father, they would surely be gone a few years ago.

I don't get the hate for Lance tbh. He isn't exactly the worst driver out there. It's not as of he was plucked out of 2 years in karting and his dad bought his seat in f1. He has a good history in the junior formulas and has had a few podiums. That doesn't happen because his father paid for his seat. He got a podium in a Williams for god sake.

I agree. I think he could do quite well in the coming years, he may win a race before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lance would have made it to F1 with his talents. He just took a shortcut due to his dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It looks like a custom livery from Grand Prix 2 20 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ Grand Prix 2 - great racing game.

This is it wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a strong show from LeClerc and Sainz this year. A few podiums and 3rd in the constructors would be a huge leap. Would like to see Vettel and Mick Schumacher do well also.

As much as I slated Vettel last season, with good reason in my opinion, he was a fantastic driver and I really hope he recovers his previous form. Seems like a genuine lad and you can't deny his talent.

I don’t class it as slating Vettel. An accurate description of his performance last year would look damning, but it’s not personal. He has been very good at times and he was very poor last year. He also comes across as one of the most likeable drivers on the grid. I’d say anyone would like to see him do well again this year.

What would constitute a good season for Vettel? He’s needs to really beat Stroll comfortably. We would t want to start straying into pretending Stroll is a top driver to justify Vettel being only slightly faster than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

Anyone looking for an F1 group to join this ones fab.
    No GOAT topics allowed and admins run a tight ship against the hate speech some other have.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/343383766647338/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lance would have made it to F1 with his talents. He just took a shortcut due to his dad.

LOL

LOL

It was a joke, wasn’t it? Lance is the most extravagant pay driver of all time so far.

Wouldn’t have gotten into the sport on merit and certainly wouldn’t have gotten a second season, let alone the rest.

It was a joke, wasn’t it? Lance is the most extravagant pay driver of all time so far.

Wouldn’t have gotten into the sport on merit and certainly wouldn’t have gotten a second season, let alone the rest.

Ah yes. Hes no where near the quality of Alex Yoong, Delétraz Sr., Taki Inoue, and the American lad who got disqualified for literally being too slow and a danger to be on track :pac:

I forgot meme beats reality for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OSI wrote: »
    How many podiums does Hulkenberg have again?

What's that got to do with anything?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont agree.
    Its a strange one. Generally wet conditions are regarded as the great leveller and those who excel in the wet regard as tier one drivers.
    Lance comes to the fore in the wet yet gets slated.
    I think he is worth his f1 seat.
    If he gets blown away by vettel i will change that opinion.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah yes. Hes no where near the quality of Alex Yoong, Delétraz Sr., Taki Inoue, and the American lad who got disqualified for literally being too slow and a danger to be on track :pac:

I forgot meme beats reality for some.

Good. As long as you were joking then it’s fine. You were hardly going to make the case that Stroll would have gotten into f1 on merit, let alone stayed there on merit of if wasn’t a special category of pay driver.

• Advertisement

Good. As long as you were joking then it’s fine. You were hardly going to make the case that Stroll would have gotten into f1 on merit, let alone stayed there on merit of if wasn’t a special category of pay driver.

So this'll be your shtick again.
    :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement