Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The fact Mazepin is not allowed race under the Russian flag, yet the whole car and race suits (for both drivers) is a giant Russian flag could prove problematic. I'd be surprised if it turned up to the first race with the launch livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Infoanon wrote: »
    The FIA will not want to be seen to be going against WADA.

Liberty Media as a quoted company has social responsibilities so it won't want to be seen assisting a perceived two fingers to the WADA ruling.

Throw in some veiled threats by Haas of it quitting F1 - with the assumption that Mazepins father will buy it - and you can see that this is a big F1 issue.

Why would FIA not want to go against WADA?

The fact that they have allowed thighs to go this far suggests they don't give a shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why would FIA not want to go against WADA?

The fact that they have allowed thighs to go this far suggests they don't give a shyte.

Sure Haas are only running the american colours. Whats all the fuss about

mickdw wrote: »
    Sure Haas are only running the american colours. Whats all the fuss about

Oh, now that you mention it, maybe it's the Dutch colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Oh, now that you mention it, maybe it's the Dutch colours!

Could be any of these really! :)

flag-red-white-and-blue.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Could be any of these really! :)

flag-red-white-and-blue.png

I disagree. The Russian flag is the only one with the right blue in it. All the others are either a lighter blue or a darker blue. So yes similar but not the same

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. The Russian flag is the only one with the right blue in it. All the others are either a lighter blue or a darker blue. So yes similar but not the same

Peurto Rico seems pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I don't understand the fuss with the Russian colours either. I dislike that Mazepin is there thanks to his rich dad, and I dislike the bad attitude he has displayed previously.

But I disagree with refusing anyone the right to use their national colours because of an issue that had absolutely nothing to do with either the driver or the sport. He races as an individual and was never part of any Russian team that cheated, nor has there ever been any issue with doping in F1. It's well within the FIAs capability to test drivers themselves, I doubt RUSADA are testing Mazepin on the FIA's behalf, nor are any other national agency testing F1 drivers who happened to be born in that country.

If they've decided he can't fly the flag, then I don't see how alluding to it in the livery is any worse than the many teams who have had tobacco-inspired liveries with the name removed to avoid bans, something which is much more harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So maybe the American team is using the North Korean flag :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yeah this is it. There’s little else to chat about for now. Its fine to follow it for the soap opera aspect, but it’s really not a big f1 story. I can’t imagine liking or disliking Haas on account of having Russian flag colours.

Maybe I'm just getting carried away with it but it's pushed me to disliking Haas completely.

Not strictly because of it being a Russian flag but the overall road of events to this point.

I already disliked Mazepin. I think he's robbed a seat from some much better drivers. Not only does it annoy me that he's been given the chance while being much less talented than others it also annoys me he's gotten it while being a pretty crappy person.

His attitude and actions off the track are brutal and he hasn't done enough on the track to even begin to consider looking over it.

And Haas rolled over to submission all due to his father's money. It already annoyed me how spineless they were with him and saying how he will just try be better. He shouldn't have been there and then straight away was in a scandal that was brushed aside.

Now, already with all that crap his father is in so much control he can get an American team to change it's livery to represent the Russian flag so his son can race in that, since he can't fly the flag.

It's outrageous in my mind and just completely shows from the culmination of events that the Mazepins will now control Haas as they see fit.

People slag off Stroll, and tend to hate him, but say what you want he's at least shown to be a winner in the youths, hasn't any huge controversies and has the talent to be an F1 driver. More so his somewhat entitled attitude rubs people the wrong way, and his father securing his seat. Even his dad Lawrence is at least a racing fan.

The Mazepin's in my eyes are so much worse. Nikita is a scoundrel. He'll easily be a villain of this season. And Dmitry is a corrupt shady business man with controversies following his dealings.

It annoys me that Mick will be racing with them.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just getting carried away with it but it's pushed me to disliking Haas completely.

Not strictly because of it being a Russian flag but the overall road of events to this point.

I already disliked Mazepin. I think he's robbed a seat from some much better drivers. Not only does it annoy me that he's been given the chance while being much less talented than others it also annoys me he's gotten it while being a pretty crappy person.

His attitude and actions off the track are brutal and he hasn't done enough on the track to even begin to consider looking over it.

And Haas rolled over to submission all due to his father's money. It already annoyed me how spineless they were with him and saying how he will just try be better. He shouldn't have been there and then straight away was in a scandal that was brushed aside.

Now, already with all that crap his father is in so much control he can get an American team to change it's livery to represent the Russian flag so his son can race in that, since he can't fly the flag.

It's outrageous in my mind and just completely shows from the culmination of events that the Mazepins will now control Haas as they see fit.

People slag off Stroll, and tend to hate him, but say what you want he's at least shown to be a winner in the youths, hasn't any huge controversies and has the talent to be an F1 driver. More so his somewhat entitled attitude rubs people the wrong way, and his father securing his seat. Even his dad Lawrence is at least a racing fan.

The Mazepin's in my eyes are so much worse. Nikita is a scoundrel. He'll easily be a villain of this season. And Dmitry is a corrupt shady business man with controversies following his dealings.

It annoys me that Mick will be racing with them.

F1 is all about money. It often talks about itself having integrity and all that good stuff, it has very little use for morals or ethics, but it has lots of use for money.

The strange thing is that this might make mick Schumacher the good guy. That would surely give Michael a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ferrari launch at 1PM today. That will conclude the launches for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Watching an Autosport video there on the Aston's and British Racing Green, seems the first "British" Green car was pained green to tip the hat to the Irish for agreeing to host the Gordon Bennett Cup race when it was banned in the UK due to speed limits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Images & videos of the SF21, Ferrari's 2021 car, have leaked & are on reddit.

It's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

8A0pGg5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Images & videos of the SF21, Ferrari's 2021 car, have leaked & are on reddit.

It's different.

The picture I see is exactly the same with the Marlboro sponsorship turning yellow instead of black. Still with the same nose concept that everyone else is moving away from.

Edit, I didn't see the black back.

The picture I see is exactly the same with the Marlboro sponsorship turning yellow instead of black. Still with the same nose concept that everyone else is moving away from.

Edit, I didn't see the black back.

The Mission Winnow now looks to be bright green and th rear is transitioning to the "old" red.

The big green splash is definitely weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The Mission Winnow now looks to be bright green and th rear is transitioning to the "old" red.

How they get away with the Mission Winnow 'sponsorship' is beyond me

duploelabs wrote: »
    How they get away with the Mission Winnow 'sponsorship' is beyond me

They don't get away with it, that's why it disappears between races.

Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Ferrari launch at 1PM today. That will conclude the
    launches for another year.

Roll on next years launches. Can not wait to see what innovative concepts and levers the teams all come up with for next year. Hopefully the cars will not all look the same.
    As for the new Ferrari livery I must say it looks better than I thought it would and it's at least more interesting than just an all red car. The green does look like someone spilled some washing liquid or some green slime on there do lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mario: Luigi, we got-a some-a green-a paint-a lying a-round-a the factory. What-a will we-a do with-a it?

Luigi: We-a put-a it on-a the car!

*Besta done in an Italian accent*

Ms

Unveiled already or at least the You Tube video of it is up,

https://youtu.be/1_tQJj_HxXk

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They don't get away with it, that's why it disappears between races.

Dissapears?

It's still a shell company from a tobacco company

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Mario: Luigi, we got-a some-a green-a paint-a lying a-round-a the factory. What-a will we-a do with-a it?

Luigi: We-a put-a it on-a the car!

*Besta done in an Italian accent*

Well if haas can do a 'russian' flag, then ferrari can do the Italian

https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status/1369634216212914176

Might be nice overall without the dash of bright green

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The back of the car is a wine colour like they had for the 1,000th GP last year. And the green also! Not liking it so far but will wait to see it on track to fully judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭This is it

Not liking the green so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

McLaren also have subliminal tobacco advertising on there car in the form of A Better Tomorrow which is owned by BAT aka British America Tobacco!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Have they made the Ferrari look so bad with that paint job on purpose to highlight Misson Winnow and to distract from any new bits?

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    McLaren also have subliminal tobacco advertising on there car in the form of A Better Tomorrow which is owned by BAT aka British America Tobacco!

Theirs is a little less subtle, depending on the race. They sometimes use VUSE which is a vape product. It's commonly used in their social media posts & it has also made its way to the Indycar team with one of the cars getting a VUSE title sponsorship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement