Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Haas inc feat. from Russia with love.

Whoever would have thought that the Americans > the Russians & Zee Germans would join forces :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    1920px-Uralkali_logo.svg.png

Uralkali's corporate colours aren't even close to the Russian flag - they're red & green.

The livery is blatantly a way to skirt the prohibition on Mazepin running under a Russian flag.

Turns out Uralkali is changing their corporate colours to coincide with the new Haas sponsorship.

https://twitter.com/decalspotters/status/1367523559019577345

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Evp022EWQAgeMqH?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Evp022kXEAEOJzK?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Evp2NoNWQAAolgC?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

BWT have RUINED Vettels helmet design.

Sponsors should be banned from helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

Killinator wrote: »
    Personally I know a lot of people don't like the sons of money getting drives and 100% there are more talented drivers missing out as a result of 'daddy's money', buuuuut on the flip side if it wasn't for 'daddy's money's there could be at least 2 teams less on the grid, 4 drives gone.

Force India and more recently Haas have been one punch away from a knockout blow to their F1 endeavors.
    If 'Daddy Stroll' doesn't buy into Force India, sure we don't have to watch Sir Lancelot buuut we most likely don't get to watch anyone else in his stead either as there is no team at all.

This is true, but it's not something that should just be accepted, it's a blight on the sport that it's supposed to be the biggest motorsport on earth and the only way it can sustain a measly 12 teams is by counting on billionaires with nothing else to do with their money to buy a team so their kid can enjoy his hobby.

The sport needs more Frank Williams or Colin Chapmans or Eddie Jordans or Ken Tyrrells or Peter Saubers, people who came in and ran teams on a shoestring but kept it sustainable and could become competitive because sponsor money covered operating costs.

It's simply impossible for real motorsport people to come in and start a team like that nowadays, and even those who got started in previous times and hung on until today like Williams and Sauber have had to hand over control of their teams to avoid going under.

Hopefully we see things start to change from 2022 when spending caps start to get introduced, but time will tell, it's hard to have faith in them not messing up every change they bring in, since that's been such a consistent pattern for the best part of a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This showed up on my Instagram feed. Looks like the old RTÉ team are going to start talking about Formula 1 again.
    https://instagram.com/straighttothegrid?igshid=69ppuhw5bykj

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

That Haas car has just pissed me off to be honest. I want Mick to succeed but can’t see myself cheering on a Haas after this move by them.

Hated Mazepin already and now they are bending to the decisions of his dad.

Maybe Lawrence Stroll will see if it’s too late to turn the Aston Martin into a Canadian flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭barryribs

quokula wrote: »
    This is true, but it's not something that should just be accepted, it's a blight on the sport that it's supposed to be the biggest motorsport on earth and the only way it can sustain a measly 12 teams is by counting on billionaires with nothing else to do with their money to buy a team so their kid can enjoy his hobby.

The sport needs more Frank Williams or Colin Chapmans or Eddie Jordans or Ken Tyrrells or Peter Saubers, people who came in and ran teams on a shoestring but kept it sustainable and could become competitive because sponsor money covered operating costs.

It's simply impossible for real motorsport people to come in and start a team like that nowadays, and even those who got started in previous times and hung on until today like Williams and Sauber have had to hand over control of their teams to avoid going under.

Hopefully we see things start to change from 2022 when spending caps start to get introduced, but time will tell, it's hard to have faith in them not messing up every change they bring in, since that's been such a consistent pattern for the best part of a decade.

Frank Williams ran 8 or 9 pay drivers in the mid 70s to make ends meet. They changed the rules specifically because of him Peter Sauber who had Diniz in the team for two years, and in later years was farming pay drivers. Eddie admitted he was more interested in Mercedes money than he was putting Schumacher in the seat. The less said about Tyrell from 1990 onwards the better.

The day of the privateer teams is gone with 20 years. You could consider Brawn a privateer team, but they essentially just continued the Honda program for a year. What the teams you have mentioned achieved is incredible, but Mercedes only made a 14 million pound profit off their F1 program in 2019, after spending 300+ million - a season they won 15 races in. You'd nearly get the same return leaving in your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭robinwing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quokula View Post

Frank Williams ran 8 or 9 pay drivers in the mid 70s to make ends meet. They changed the rules specifically because of him Peter Sauber who had Diniz in the team for two years, and in later years was farming pay drivers. Eddie admitted he was more interested in Mercedes money than he was putting Schumacher in the seat. The less said about Tyrell from 1990 onwards the better.

The day of the privateer teams is gone with 20 years. You could consider Brawn a privateer team, but they essentially just continued the Honda program for a year. What the teams you have mentioned achieved is incredible, but Mercedes only made a 14 million pound profit off their F1 program in 2019, after spending 300+ million - a season they won 15 races in. You'd nearly get the same return leaving in your bank account.

The day of the privateer teams is gone with 20 years. You could consider Brawn a privateer team, but they essentially just continued the Honda program for a year. What the teams you have mentioned achieved is incredible, but Mercedes only made a 14 million pound profit off their F1 program in 2019, after spending 300+ million - a season they won 15 races in. You'd nearly get the same return leaving in your bank account " ( barryribs )

Both of you guys are making interesting points and yeah Quokula , I preferred the old F1 , I am sure you've seen the French GP 1962 on Youtube , a Castrol film half hour long , when Dan Gurney won for Porsche in Rouen in the 1.5 litre formula. Anybody who hasn't will enjoy it a lot. But Barryribs is correct I am sad to admit. When Ford sold the Cosworth 3.0 DFV to the privateers there were many opportunities for privateers with skilled engineers . Its big business now , too much money , too much downforce , too technical . But thats life in 2020. It sucks but its reality. Indycar has more scope and cars are fun, Road America etc are great road courses but it does not have the lure of F1 and mostly journeyman drivers and the same chassis. The racing now is closer in F1 but total dominance for sustained periods lessens interest and boring circuits are the norm. Even Spa , Monza , Silverstone etc have been sanitized a lot. Maybe 2020 will be better. I still find F1 totally fascinating though !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Just one week to go to pre-season testing.

• Advertisement

Portuguese Grand Prix will be the third race on this year's calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That Aston looks like a "My Team" car in F12020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I would be surprise if that's the livery that Haas race with in the first race. I reckon they'll have to change it.

The Aston looks sweeeet.... I have no problem with Vettel's helmet, I like the pink and green contrast.

Testing is going to be interesting, be great if Vettel was topping time sheets. Not that it would mean much, but be great for him to be up there come lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Someone on Reddit has apparently managed to extract the Williams livery from their AR app ahead of its launch. If it’s true, it will spare Mercedes the title of worst livery design!

racersedge wrote: »
    Someone on Reddit has apparently managed to extract the Williams livery from their AR app ahead of its launch. If it’s true, it will spare Mercedes the title of worst livery design!

Part of me is hoping the Williams devs were wise to the idea of the code being looked into and uploaded a fake livery for this very reason. The version I've seen is totally out there, very unique which is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The reddit speculation.

EvtJTEHXEAMl5g9?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OSI wrote: »
    Dammmmnnn.... That Aston looks good on the move. Those shapes from the side pods back.....

Was reading an article by Gary Anderson and he seems pretty impressed by it as well.
    I sincerely hope it hits the ground running.
    https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-anderson-new-aston-martin-f1-car-full-of-clear-ideas/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

pjohnson wrote: »
    The reddit speculation.

EvtJTEHXEAMl5g9?format=jpg&name=medium

I would expect the new owners on it somewhere

Harika wrote: »
    I would expect the new owners on it somewhere

Versa, on the rear wing, is part of their portfolio.

https://www.doriltoncapital.com/portfolio/versa-integrity-group/

• Advertisement

Williams have abandoned the planned AR app launch due to the app being hacked... https://www.williamsf1.com/news/2021/team/media-statement

We have a Drive to Survive S3 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMrHKc58aIA

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Williams have abandoned the planned AR app launch due to the app being hacked... https://www.williamsf1.com/news/2021/team/media-statement

:(

Sounded quite cool and like they had put a good bit of work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Must say the William's looks nice. I hope they can improve this year and are fighting in the midfield again. Just goes to show what can be done with livery with a bit of imagination.

Just Ferrari left now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

some lovely liveries this year. And some which will grow on me. There's a air of Martini about that Versa logo.

EvuEwtyWEAAeNNh?format=jpg&name=large

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    Just Ferrari left now

Awe sure that will be all red. We know that just which red?
    some lovely liveries this year. And some which will grow on me. There's a air of Martini about that Versa logo.

Agreed there is. They should have but a little red on the car too.

EvuEwtyWEAAeNNh?format=jpg&name=large

I wheely like the front wheels on the Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I really hope they can get Visa to sponsor them. Imagine seeing "Visa Versa" on Williams shirts.
    I'll get my coat.

I'm actually getting reminded of Honda 2007 Earth car with that livery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement