Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional Vaccine Allocation - updated 31/03/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Raoul

Good to hear. New York are also letting vaccine go to waste because Andrew Cuomo said anybody caught giving it to anybody other than frontline healthcare workers would be fired.....and they mustn't be organised enough to make sure it doesn't happen.

Having said that, one of the newspapers last week said those administering the vaccine were writing lists of people who had got it on paper. I don't know if true but if it is, it is depressing that that is where the HSE is at in 2021.

I also heard this anecdotally. How f*cking archaic is our system!! :mad::mad: It is insane that this isn't digitised and I think that the HSE have a lot to answer for. Same goes for the contract tracing, it probably isn't digitised either. It was pure man power. Ridiculous carry on in this day and age. Ireland has lots of tech companies that could implement systems to help us.

Good to hear. New York are also letting vaccine go to waste because Andrew Cuomo said anybody caught giving it to anybody other than frontline healthcare workers would be fired.....and they mustn't be organised enough to make sure it doesn't happen.

Due to the nature of the Pfizer vaccine, if it isn't used the same day it has to be thrown out. So if you have 100 vaccines and only 85 show up you either throw out the rest or as Israel does, put out a "first come first served" call and use up those 15 doses. Makes sense.

Raoul wrote: »
    Ireland has lots of tech companies that could implement systems to help us.

They would hire EY who would charge an absolute fortune and outsource the whole thing to some fella in India on $5 / hour who never saw the inside of a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Raoul wrote: »
    I know of health care workers who were called at short notice to say that if they were available they could come and get vaccinated. It must have been due to left over stock. That is good to see. Lots of stock in the UK is going to waste
    Any link to that?

On the calculator, as things stand, it is perfectly accurate. You can't make projections about unapproved vaccines. The EU is really dragging it's heels in the name of "saving money" when the pandemic is costing us, according to an estimate I saw, €1 billion every 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

They would hire EY who would charge an absolute fortune and outsource the whole thing to some fella in India on $5 / hour who never saw the inside of a hospital.

He doesn't need to know what an inside of a hospital is like though, he'd probably be appalled to see a health service worse than India.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

He doesn't need to know what an inside of a hospital is like though, he'd probably be appalled to see a health service worse than India.

If you really believe that, you'd believe anything

On the calculator, as things stand, it is perfectly accurate. You can't make projections about unapproved vaccines. The EU is really dragging it's heels in the name of "saving money" when the pandemic is costing us, according to an estimate I saw, €1 billion every 6 weeks.

Its not accurate, or more specifically its a misrepresentation. It assumes we only ever have 5 doses per vial from Pfizer only at only 42,000 doses per week

Also, EU is not dragging its heels. Have a look at the worldwide vaccine data online. After US, Israel, UK and USE, most of the countries at the top of the list are EU countries

Is making sure the vaccine is safe "Dragging your heels" nowadays?
    I'd rather the EU approach myself. Better to be sure it is safe, and there are no concerns about it, than pointing fingers afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The moaning and groaning of people about the slow rate of vaccination is unreal.

The health service in this country is currently dealing with the highest numbers per population in the World of the virus.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

This is fairly useless. We will have a supply of 50000 per week by the end of this week with the Moderna shipments starting. When AZ gets approved at the end of January, we'll be up to 100000k+. Before March, J&J is looking likely to be approved, upping supply further.

By the start of April, Ireland will have the supply to do at least 150k per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Very vague options doesn't seem to differentiate underlying conditions such as Diabetes or Asthma at all conditions that would create significant difficulties if you caught covid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If any stocks of vaccines go stale from not being used because they are administered from 9.30 to 5pm Monday to Friday heads need to roll.

We're already vaccinating 7 days a week. I've no idea where the above rumour came from.

Amirani wrote: »
    We're already vaccinating 7 days a week. I've no idea where the above rumour came from.
    It was originally in relation to when they might be able go into nursing homes. Reid clarified this but it had already got legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's not in the slightest bit accurate.

Pfizer deliveries are increasing and Moderna has been approved and supplies are coming next week.

Never mind the likelihood of Astra approval by end month.

noodler wrote: »
    It's not in the slightest bit accurate.

Pfizer deliveries are increasing and Moderna has been approved and supplies are coming next week.

Never mind the likelihood of Astra approval by end month.

First batch of Moderna has arrived, but is small at 3,600 doses.

Is there any sign of an Irish vaccine being developed? A bit like the British people waiting for the Oxford/Astra one, I'm a bit too patriotic to take a non-Irish one.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is it really that hard to set up a sign up system and a virtual queue?

Obviously your Level of priority will get preference and you'll jump the queue but it doesn't seem like it's an outrageous task to set up a sign up database. Jesus, an Excel or an Access file would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So I'm in group 14 per the above - mid-40s, no underlying conditions, rarely get any sort of illness, office job working from home since March.

As I'm not deemed a priority, I assume that's confirmation that I'm low risk to or from anyone.

Can I get back to living so?

No. You need to stay in your house until June 2022 when you will get your second jab. In the meantime after March 2021 you will be able to ask your 87 year old grandmother to do a weekly shop for you and drop it on your door step.

But the good news is this calculator is full of interesting lifestyle choices to shorten your wait from several years to just a few months.

- Tuck into whatever Christmas leftovers you still have and order McDolands 3 times a day 7 days a week to get your BMI over 40 you can move your vaccination date to July 2021.

- Shout at your Staff and insist they work 18 hour days to develop hypertension and you can put it down as a health care initiative in work.

- Develop chronic alcohol dependency and the associated liver damage and you cut 18 months off your waiting list (looks like all those yummy mummy's in D4 polishing off a bottle or two of vino a night in front of Netflix don't have to hide it any more)

- Looks like it's morally wrong to deny your kids sweets as diabetes could now save their lives.

- Rent out every room in your house to families. Now only will you be solving the homeless crisis but you will also qualify for vaccination under the living in a crowded setting criteria.

- Join the Army, see the world (well Athlone at least). Get vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Is it really that hard to set up a sign up system and a virtual queue?

Obviously your Level of priority will get preference and you'll jump the queue but it doesn't seem like it's an outrageous task to set up a sign up database. Jesus, an Excel or an Access file would do the trick.

I hope I can can answer that with just a few questions while you're building your state of the art system.

How many pieces of data do you plan to record per person?
    What about the security of my data?
    How will it check I am who I say I am?
    How is the new system here going to direct me to a vaccination centre or GP?
    How will they find out I've been booked?
    How will it effectively and automatically manage 2nd shots?
    Where will it live and how will it cope with huge numbers of people booking at the same time?

etc.

etc.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I hope I can can answer that with just a few questions while you're building your state of the art system.

How many pieces of data do you plan to record per person?
    What about the security of my data?
    How will it check I am who I say I am?
    How is the new system here going to direct me to a vaccination centre or GP?
    How will they find out I've been booked?
    How will it effectively and automatically manage 2nd shots?
    Where will it live and how will it cope with huge numbers of people booking at the same time?

etc.

etc.

1. Name, age, nearest vaccine centre, phone, email, category (self declared)
    2. Whatever the HSE already use
    3. Self declared. Ain't nobody going to be signing up 3-4 vaccines. Anyone found skipping the queue intentionally gets prosecuted for fraud.
    4. Email, phone, this is your date and time a week before the vaccine.
    5. The database will have the order
    6. A second database. Just tick the box when the vaccine is done. The name jumps off to the second database.
    7. In a cave somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

1. Name, age, nearest vaccine centre, phone, email, category (self declared)
    2. Whatever the HSE already use
    3. Self declared. Ain't nobody going to be signing up 3-4 vaccines. Anyone found skipping the queue intentionally gets prosecuted for fraud.
    4. Email, phone, this is your date and time a week before the vaccine.
    5. The database will have the order
    6. A second database. Just tick the box when the vaccine is done. The name jumps off to the second database.
    7. In a cave somewhere

You're seriously underestimating the level of difficulty and complexity involved.
    Parts of the priority list are based on health status and occupation, you're not even proposing to keep a record of that and you're allowing people to self declare all information. What do you do when Mary shows up with either no ID or an ID saying she's 50 but she put herself down as 65? Call the Gards? Waste a vaccine dose?

You're also overestimating the benefits. What benefit exactly do you ascribe to a priority list?

What does it offer over allowing Pharmacists and GPs (who together distributed 1 million flu vaccines in three months last year) to carry out the process?

I heard a case where one late evening there were not enough medical staff lined up for vaccine, so the spares from vial were given to admin staff, so as not to waste it. It has to be tricky getting all the priority people lined up at the opportune time.

I heard a case where one late evening there were not enough medical staff lined up for vaccine, so the spares from vial were given to admin staff, so as not to waste it. It has to be tricky getting all the priority people lined up at the opportune time.

Makes sense to me. If they have vaccinated every healthcare worker they can that day, why not get it into somebody else? It'll never be perfect, but what about it. The biggest sin of all would be to see vaccine wasted.

Maybe Revenue should be put in charge of the record keeping, they know how to keep track of people!
    :D

Maybe Revenue should be put in charge of the record keeping, they know how to keep track of people!
    :D

Well they'd at least have a unique identifier for everybody! I can't help thinking the HSE staff member writing down Paddy Murphy, Grange, Co. Wherever is a recipe for disaster!

You're seriously underestimating the level of difficulty and complexity involved.
    Parts of the priority list are based on health status and occupation, you're not even proposing to keep a record of that and you're allowing people to self declare all information. What do you do when Mary shows up with either no ID or an ID saying she's 50 but she put herself down as 65? Call the Gards? Waste a vaccine dose?

You're also overestimating the benefits. What benefit exactly do you ascribe to a priority list?

What does it offer over allowing Pharmacists and GPs (who together distributed 1 million flu vaccines in three months last year) to carry out the process?

If you want me to put serious consideration into designing a database and creating a queue system, then starting paying me :pac:

is_that_so wrote: »
    Who do flu vaccinations every year, including 1.3m last year.

The flu isn't COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The flu isn't COVID.

The poster's point is the GPs and Pharmacies have the ability and experience to lash vaccinations out and this one will have the added bonus of being completely free for all and, imo, having greater demand than the annu flu vaccine.

Advertisement