Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

blanch152 wrote: »
    Most of the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists were running with it.

What, like there was going to be a global pandemic this year? I remember people saying that this time last year were called conspiraloons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Sounds like Stanley will be gone from his position as chair of the PAC by this time tomorrow, either that or he'll be suspended from Sinn Fein, maybe both?

Those three tweets, specially the last one have done him no favours outside the SF/IRA bubble.

Will he yeh? Do you want a bet on this?

Stanley goes prepare for the calls for Leo and McEntee to go as what they have done is far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What, like there was going to be a global pandemic this year? I remember people saying that this time last year were called conspiraloons.

No, chicken from China causes Covid. Apologies for the alliteration but that was the conspiracy theory promoted by Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Yeah, Stanley was particularly idiotic to run with that one, don't you agree?

Irish shellfish still banned in China, as are many other foods -

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-china-frozenfood/chinas-sweeping-covid-controls-put-frozen-food-importers-on-ice-idINKBN27T0Z6

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

No, chicken from China causes Covid. Apologies for the alliteration but that was the conspiracy theory promoted by Stanley.

It isn't that far-fetched

https://time.com/5899803/coronavirus-frozen-food-china/

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/brian-stanleys-wife-says-public-funds-should-be-removed-from-rte-when-sinn-fein-wins-power-39826258.html

The fightback begins!

"Cllr Caroline Dwane Stanley made the comments on Facebook where she argued that when Sinn Féin get into Government it should remove all public funds from RTÉ."

"In the comments beneath the post she added: "When SF get into Government one of the first things it should do is remove all public funds from RTÉ.""

Shoot the messenger again. When I talk about the threat to democracy from Sinn Fein, these are the type of references that I mean. There is no hesitation to resort to threats when under pressure.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1204/1182305-brian-stanley-tweet/

Paschal Donohoe puts it well here:

"Their tone on politics, their tone about how they speak about those who have different political views to them, at many times and in many cases, I don't believe it's acceptable.

"And I believe it poisons the well of how we debate politics in our country."

We see it on these boards where those who oppose Sinn Fein are accused of lying and agendas and all sorts by scurrilous posters. Attack the messenger, try to discredit them, try to censor them, threaten them etc. All part of a nasty poisonous Sinn Fein culture that extends across the media spectrum and enunciated so well by Stanley's wife.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/brian-stanleys-wife-says-public-funds-should-be-removed-from-rte-when-sinn-fein-wins-power-39826258.html

The fightback begins!

"Cllr Caroline Dwane Stanley made the comments on Facebook where she argued that when Sinn Féin get into Government it should remove all public funds from RTÉ."

"In the comments beneath the post she added: "When SF get into Government one of the first things it should do is remove all public funds from RTÉ.""

Shoot the messenger again. When I talk about the threat to democracy from Sinn Fein, these are the type of references that I mean. There is no hesitation to resort to threats when under pressure.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1204/1182305-brian-stanley-tweet/

Paschal Donohoe puts it well here:

"Their tone on politics, their tone about how they speak about those who have different political views to them, at many times and in many cases, I don't believe it's acceptable.

"And I believe it poisons the well of how we debate politics in our country."

We see it on these boards where those who oppose Sinn Fein are accused of lying and agendas and all sorts by scurrilous posters. Attack the messenger, try to discredit them, try to censor them, threaten them etc. All part of a nasty poisonous Sinn Fein culture that extends across the media spectrum and enunciated so well by Stanley's wife.

Why should the public fund RTÉ?

The viewing figures on RTÉ do not justify it anymore

Traumadoc wrote: »

Oh dear, get support for a conspiracy theory from another one.

"Such scrutiny has drawn flak from industry bodies. In September, the International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods called restrictions around food imports “not scientifically justified.”"

"he U.S. Centers for Disease Control says there is “no evidence” to suggest food is associated with spreading the virus, while the World Health Organization (WHO) says it’s not necessary to disinfect food packaging. New Zealand meanwhile ruled out a theory that an August outbreak was connected to a cold-chain storage facility"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_broadcasting

Have a read of this, it explains it better than I could.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40031435.html

Conspracicy theories are no good to anyone

• Advertisement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_broadcasting

Have a read of this, it explains it better than I could.

So no u have no reason why we should fund RTÉ?

I thought so

Losing money every day but paying top dollar to clowns like Tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I thought so

Ah but if we don't pay Tubs or Duffy the big bucks they will poached from RTE to the BBC. Well that is what RTE tell us.

I thought so

Did you read the link? It's all in there.

Did you read the link? It's all in there.

I don't tend to read Wikipedia (a site I can go in now and change whatever is said in it)

RTÉ are not needed anymore

Out having party's while telling us to stay at home. Every single one of them who attended should not be getting a penny more from the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I think RTE is a valuable service and should be funded
    I can't stand Tubs and do think salaries should be capped in RTE for the stars
    Let them go to virgin media or the UK if they want
    Currently virgin media stars are moving to RTE for higher wages

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

RT&#201 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Sinn Féin's Louise O'Reilly has said that the tone of the tweet in 2017 referencing Leo Varadkar by her party colleague Brian Stanley's "was not acceptable".

Speaking to RTÉ News, she said that "if any offence was caused, of course Brian needs to engage and he needs to have those discussions with people".

I think this is the right response from Louise O'Reilly. Stanley should publicly clarify his comments and not claim that no engagement is needed.

If Louise O'Reilly is saying this, you'd assume Mary Lou etc. will be saying similar to Stanley.

Amirani wrote: »
    I think this is the right response from Louise O'Reilly. Stanley should publicly clarify his comments and not claim that no engagement is needed.

If Louise O'Reilly is saying this, you'd assume Mary Lou etc. will be saying similar to Stanley.

The problem is that he needs to publicly apologise to Leo Varadkar, and that sticks in the throat for him. It also is a problem for Sinn Fein because it solidifies the idea of Sinn Fein on social media being responsible for the racist and homophobic attacks on Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://twitter.com/sandra_hurley/status/1334892601913319426 December 15th thats a long time away its almost a McEntee tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I'm no fan of SF but his comments on chinese chicken were no more or less hyperbolic fear inducing nonsense than the likes of Prof Sam McConkey, Holohan and the rest have subjected us to since early February 4 plus times per week.

In terms of public Covid brain farts it doesn't rank in the same league as Simon Harris (Covid the 19th, no pubs until theres a vaccine)- a buffoon of such magnitude they had to invent a department for him so he could be shuffled away from making a fool of himself as health minister every other day.
    it is worse because it could feed anti-Chinese racism

• Registered Users Posts: 67,081 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://twitter.com/sandra_hurley/status/1334892601913319426 December 15th thats a long time away its almost a McEntee tactic

Playing FG FF Greens at their own game. They can't complain.

• Advertisement

Waiting to see did anyone find anything else.

Should keep him in the news though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Hopefully FF/FG/Greens tacticians never realise hiding behind SF doesn't work.
    Imagine you're critical of government for good reason and all you hear is SFSFSF. Wouldn't draw you in to voting for them I'd imagine.

See Sinn Féin can play that game too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Think that's a good move from Mary Lou to be honest.

Any talking he's done on the matter has made things worse. At this point, should sit at home and think quite carefully about things before he speaks on then again. Much of the attention will have gone away then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭golfball37

Bowie wrote: »
    Hopefully FF/FG/Greens tacticians never realise hiding behind SF doesn't work.
    Imagine you're critical of government for good reason and all you hear is SFSFSF. Wouldn't draw you in to voting for them I'd imagine.

The don’t even realize it’s the number one factor in the rise of SF. The more they blame them for everything the more people turn against the mainstream parties.

Playing FG FF Greens at their own game. They can't complain.

Boggling at the idea that SF "dont complain", here or everywhere else

Amirani wrote: »
    Think that's a good move from Mary Lou to be honest.

Any talking he's done on the matter has made things worse. At this point, should sit at home and think quite carefully about things before he speaks on then again. Much of the attention will have gone away then anyway.

Agreed, fair play to her and I'd think she will (rightly) point to it as a contrast to how FG/FF have handled their muckups lately

Credit where due

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is he getting the sack? Sinn Fein would be calling for such action if the shoe was on the other foot.

Weed out all these spoofers from all parties.

6 wrote: »
    Is he getting the sack? Sinn Fein would be calling for such action if the shoe was on the other foot.

Weed out all these spoofer from all parties.

After Leo and McEntee got off without even a slap on the wrists, not a chance will SF sack him

If they did, it would put serious pressure on the Leo and McEntee.

They both will be praying this is the end of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

After Leo and McEntee got off without even a slap on the wrists, not a chance will SF sack him

If they did, it would put serious pressure on the Leo and McEntee.

They both will be praying this is the end of it

So, they are all the same. They all claim the morale high ground and so many fall for it.

Advertisement